Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

We made this project happen, let´s help Jane Jensen

I've backed both Jane Jensen and leisure suit larry as I am such a fan of adventure games.

(I doubt though that the humour in larry is going to appeal to to a woman in her fifties ike myself )

But hey! ho! one must do ones bit to support adventure and I'm sure the updated graphics will be good.

its unlikely, but anyone on here who HASNT played gabriel knight 1 MUST give it a try before the campaigns over (dunno if its wrong of me to say this but pirate the damn thing if you have to! not that its expensive at GOG), that WILL make you want to contribute. (if it doesnt, fair dues.)

if youve tried other old sierra games and think its too stressful with all the deaths and everything, gk is different. there are no frustration deaths or dead ends.

come on peeps!

that said Im a little worried about the art. the concepts for moebius and gm2 so far arent the best are they... =( )

its unlikely, but anyone on here who HASNT played gabriel knight 1 MUST give it a try before the campaigns over (dunno if its wrong of me to say this but pirate the damn thing if you have to! not that its expensive at GOG), that WILL make you want to contribute. (if it doesnt, fair dues.)

if youve tried other old sierra games and think its too stressful with all the deaths and everything, gk is different. there are no frustration deaths or dead ends.

come on peeps!

that said Im a little worried about the art. the concepts for moebius and gm2 so far arent the best are they... =( )

Hi!I haven't played gabriel knight.

I 've always been worried about compatibility with my modern system.

If I bought the game on gog.com would it work on my windows 7 laptop.

I take it they tweak the games to work on most modern hardware hopefully?

I 've always been worried about compatibility with my modern system.

If I bought the game on gog.com would it work on my windows 7 laptop.

I take it they tweak the games to work on most modern hardware hopefully?

to be honest Ive not used GOG yet so I cant say from experience. but it does say on the games page that its compatible with xp and 7 so it should be no problem?

edit: PS. I seem to remember there are some spoilers in the manual so you might want to not read it unless you dont understand some part of the interface at some point. thats also one thing thats different from other sierra games, its not reference for stuff in the gameworld/puzzles.

better to start knowing as little about the story as possible.

I have a high respect for Tim as a creative individual regardless of what type of game he's making. I think I will enjoy DFA even if it doesn't turn out to be a new classic of the genre. However I don't have a personal loyalty to adventure games. I'm just a gamer. I really liked the format of this project, the rewards, and the team creating the project. I'm not really interested in the other adventure titles that have shown up on kickstarter. The other kickstarter games that I'm interested in right now are Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga. I'm most interested in Wasteland 2 as I have a high interest in unconventional open RPGs with real choices, well-developed characters, and an interesting story.

Backed! More than I backed for DFA actually...'cause by the time I backed DFA it certainly didn't need my funding...

...also 'cause I want to go to the open house! Hope it makes it to its funding goal...currently at close to $119K with 39 days to go...

think i will support them both jansen work is genius and leisure suit larrys was fantastic especially 6 and 7 i think if al got to over a milion he should skip the remake and go right into LSL 8

as for jenson i will support it i just hope one day we will see a gabrial knight 4. and damn how nice is janes daughter ;)

I had some doubts about the project, but backed. I love the GK games too much (and still hope we'll ever see a fourth instalment if they're succesful with the studio and can recover the rights) and although it wasn't at the same level than those I also really enjoyed Gray Matter. So I hope they can get the 300k and we can get another great story (hopefully that Moebius concept? :D).

think i will support [...] and leisure suit larrys was fantastic especially 6 and 7 i think if al got to over a milion he should skip the remake and go right into LSL 8

Yeah, but even if he got over a million he couldn't skip the project that people funded for (even if most of them actually want to have a sequel)... that's not how funding usually works.

I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes nothing.

87000 backers for DFA.

1700 backers for Jane Jensen.

Surely among those 87000 are many, many more fans of adventure games, Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight, etc. Why aren't more people helping her out? Jane is an adventure game goddess.

While I've certainly heard quite a bit about Jane Jensen I haven't gotten around to playing any of her games(although I picked up the first Gabriel Knight from a gog.com sale a while back) and while the concepts in her post on kickstarter seemed somewhat interesting and the concept behind CSG is intriguing, her video really didn't get me interested in wanting to give her money...However, it did remind me that I had purchased Gabriel Knight and make me want to go play that to see if its as good as everyone seems to say it is. So for me for now its a pass, but if i get to playing Gabriel Knight soon and really really enjoy it, I may change my mind and decide to back.

I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes nothing.

87000 backers for DFA.

1700 backers for Jane Jensen.

Surely among those 87000 are many, many more fans of adventure games, Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight, etc. Why aren't more people helping her out? Jane is an adventure game goddess.

A few possible reasons why this won't happen (not like DFA)...

1) Many DFA backers are in for the ride to see how this process works... for many of these one project is enough to do that.

2) Similar target audience to Al Lowe (both using similar media and social media for promotion - this hurts the efficiancy)

3) Many of those who are new to kickstarter have really gotten into it and have become kinda back-addicts ;). And I think some of these people might be out of money now... ;).

4) DFA entertained us during the campaign... Jane doesn't

5) Tim is doing great in front of the camera ... Jane isn't

6) Even though we have no idea how DFA turns out and what it's going to be about... with Tim and Ron what could go wrong?

7) The storytelling of Jane's campaign wasn't good. There's no strong message in it. Nothing that sticks in your head.

8) People get used to kickstarter - they become more patient with funding. You don't have that much money and there are many interesting projects out there. So we'll see. The last few days should improve I think.

9) Gray Matter devided the audience. The possibility of GM2 being the goal isn't attractive for some people, which is making them loose interest in the campaign (we'll see what the votings brings... Moebius could be the best choice to make this campaign more interesting).

10) DFA's campaign was in fact infectious - I think even if I didn't love Adventures that much, I would have backed it. As for Janes project: I see it only rational: I get 1-2 games I'd probably would have bought anyway. And since it's the first huge pinkerton project, they'll do everything to make this a great start. Plus Jane's design bible interests me a lot. But I'm not exactly thrilled by this campaign.

But don't worry, we'll make it happen! When everything goes the way it has, I guess it will end up between 500k and 650k...

I hope she can make 600k (maybe the voting can improve the situation :)

At the current rate there's no way Jane's Kickstarter reaches $600k. Not enough backers are coming in. I'm not confident we'll reach $300k even.

I think she will reach the $300000 mark easily.

I'm not so sure about the 6 hundred thousand mark, but who knows what can happen in the last days and hour of the campaign!

I wish her well and hope she reaches the targets she hopes for.

At the current rate there's no way Jane's Kickstarter reaches $600k. Not enough backers are coming in. I'm not confident we'll reach $300k even.

The rate is fine! We'll make 300k 100%. No worries. Each day the campaign gets ~10.000-16.000 dollar. That's surprisingly steady and high compared to how it started. Plus most likely at the end of the campaign there will be a bit more donations. Worst cases scenario is 400k (and here I'm reeeaally pessimistic). But I'm pretty sure it will be more than 500k...

Yeah, it'll make 300k 100%. No worries. Each day the campaign gets ~10.000-16.000 dollar. That's surprisingly steady and high compared to how it started. Plus most likely at the end of the campaign there will be a bit more donations. Worst cases scenario is 400k (and here I'm reeeaally pessimistic). But I'm pretty sure it will be more than 500k... 600k is the real question...

It's all about the number of backers. 1700 after a week is not a lot. Yesterday there as a $5k pledge which makes it seem as though more and more people are coming on board. The average pledge for Jane is something like $78. The average for DFA was about $37.

Think about it once more...1700 backers. Even Al Lowe has 6400 for a mere REMAKE that probably will add little to the original game experience. Furthermore, Al's remake was announced last October, so his Kickstarter isn't really necessary for him to complete the game.

There are few people who haven't heard about Jane's project yet. People have simply decided not to support Jane.

Many people on these forums are saying they won't donate because they're tapped out or not interested. If a sizable portion of the core crowd feels that way, I feel very anxious for the Kickstarter.

Look at the post above listing various reasons to NOT support the campaign. People seem to feel really strongly about NOT backing Jane. I won't go further than that but I'll just add that I find some of the reasons to not support Jane are almost too premeditated. I'd love to see the other projects people have supported instead of Jane's project.

It's as though most people who supported DFA are holding Jane's pitch to that standard and deciding it's not worth it to them. I personally found Jane's pitch to be honest, interesting, and promising. She may not have Tim's humor but she's been in the business for just as long and is just as trustworthy.

Many of you forget Tim has had Double Fine for nearly a decade. Jane was stuck in development hell with Gray Matter, a game whose production was largely kept out of her hands. I found GM to be a great game with some flaws, but the way people turned on her because they were disappointed is absurd.

I may sound judgmental, but I'm just surprised that so many people who are fans of old adventure games would not support Jane Jensen. Even Tim himself vouched for her on Twitter. How is that not enough of an endorsement for many DFA backers? What's the hold up?

A few possible reasons why this won't happen (not like DFA)...

1) Many DFA backers are in for the ride to see how this process works... for many of these one project is enough to do that.

2) Similar target audience to Al Lowe (both using similar media and social media for promotion - this hurts the efficiancy)

3) Many of those who are new to kickstarter have really gotten into it and have become kinda back-addicts ;). And I think some of these people might be out of money now... ;).

4) DFA entertained us during the campaign... Jane doesn't

5) Tim is doing great in front of the camera ... Jane isn't

6) Even though we have no idea how DFA turns out and what it's going to be about... with Tim and Ron what could go wrong?

7) The storytelling of Jane's campaign wasn't good. There's no strong message in it. Nothing that sticks in your head.

8) People get used to kickstarter - they become more patient with funding. You don't have that much money and there are many interesting projects out there. So we'll see. The last few days should improve I think.

9) Gray Matter devided the audience. The possibility of GM2 being the goal isn't attractive for some people, which is making them loose interest in the campaign (we'll see what the votings brings... Moebius could be the best choice to make this campaign more interesting).

10) DFA's campaign was in fact infectious - I think even if I didn't love Adventures that much, I would have backed it. As for Janes project: I see it only rational: I get 1-2 games I'd probably would have bought anyway. And since it's the first huge pinkerton project, they'll do everything to make this a great start. Plus Jane's design bible interests me a lot. But I'm not exactly thrilled by this campaign.

But don't worry, we'll make it happen! When everything goes the way it has, I guess it will end up between 500k and 650k...

I hope she can make 600k (maybe the voting can improve the situation :)

Nice breakdown. *thumbs up*

I didn't jump onto Jane's campaign mostly because she is not selling the kickstarter project well. It really didn't come out across as a community project, but more like yet another kickstarter project with funding to fund for a certain staged of an already designed project. I really don't think there would be as much involvement as DFA, not even the background works of how the game is developed... and that is a turn-off. Frankly, what's the difference between funding Jane's kickstarter now (it didn't need a kickstart) and purchasing the game after it is released?

I don't know. Might jump in at the last moment, if it gets near or exceed the target. But now, I'd rather wait and see if Jane could actually improve her campaign.

^ Wrong.

Jane has posted FIVE updates in the last week. She is very transparent about how this is going to work. The backers will be involved with voting on the choice for the first game, for example.

The $50 reward tier includes beta testing.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. There's an entitlement floating around on here that Jane's campaign can't possibly live up to DFA and therefore people won't support it. They are two different projects with two different goals.

Jane presented three ideas for games. DFA didn't offer game specifics. That's not a knock on DFA (I'm a supporter, for crying out loud). But people complaining about the message about the product are completely wrong. Jane has given more information about what she's doing than the DFA kickstarter did.

The backwards logic being used to not support Jane just doesn't make sense to me.

I may sound judgmental, but I'm just surprised that so many people who are fans of old adventure games would not support Jane Jensen. Even Tim himself vouched for her on Twitter. How is that not enough of an endorsement for many DFA backers?

Yeah, but for a great kickstarter campaign you have to grab your audience, give them something memorable. Maybe show some passion. And if people have issues with the campaign, deal with them - but not like Jane did (it felt like "okay, here's the list. No 1...."). That was only communicating on a rational level and it wasn't really hitting the core problems. And it didn't work because it was obvious that she didn't like the whole situation (someone who tries to sell something to you and doesn't like selling it, often fails, even if the reasons are good ...). And again (as said before) ... Larry hits a similar audience and use basically the same ways of promotion (which is not really good in this case) Those two definitely are not that good for each other. There are some reasons here. But it really doesn't matter.

Also a problem: Before the campaign went public the promotion gave many people the hope for a new Gabriel Knight. When the campaign got public they were hugely disappointed. Another mistake with consequences. Making false hopes.

^ Any adventure gamer knows Activision has the Gabriel Knight rights and refuses to release them. Jane has said on Kickstarter page that doing this project and having it be successful would bring her a step closer to getting the GK rights. That is sincere. She's not overselling it or making promises she perhaps can't keep and I wish more people appreciated that honesty. She obviously wants to do another GK game, but if Activision is preventing that what else can Jane really do?

I disagree with criticism of Jane's pitch. Guys like Tim Schafer and Al Lowe are well suited for the humorous videos because those guys are very funny. Jane is a great writer and I found her video to be a nice throwback to her various works and a direct, informative overview of the "community supported gaming" concept.

I didn't see any false promotion of Gabriel Knight. Jane posted some concept images that were clearly Gray Matter 2 or a different idea for a psychological/gothic type game. People wanted it to be Gabriel Knight, so they said it had to Gabriel Knight, and when it wasn't Gabriel Knight they acted as though they had been misled. Completely unfounded and unfair in my opinion. Jane's facebook page even said that the upcoming reveal would not be related to Gabriel Knight. But again people are looking for every reason to NOT support Jane's project so they'll draw inaccurate conclusions without looking at the facts.

"Any adventure gamer knows Activision has the Gabriel Knight rights and refuses to release them. "

Most people don't know what's the situation with the rights for specific games. Maybe they know that the situation is tricky... but often that's about it., Besides: even those who did know that the situation is tricky - not only a few had their hopes up for GK. Pretty soon read several comments in other forums from people who were hoping for GK4.

"I disagree with criticism of Jane’s pitch."

Fair enough. But if the pitch (and the rest of the campaign) really worked, there'd be more backers. It's quite simple.

"I found her video to be a nice throwback to her various works and a direct, informative overview of the “community supported gaming” concept."

Often that's something you're interested in when you're already enthusiastic about it. I think a lot people don't "waste" so much time with reading much information unless you have them really interested. That's IMO where the campaign lacks.

People are saying the pitch didn't work because it wasn't like the DFA pitch. It's as simple as that.

I'm confused by your last comment. You're saying that a person would be interested in the idea into which they're putting their money AFTER they decide to back the project? Spending money before knowing what you're purchasing? Seems counter intuitive...

People are saying the pitch didn't work because it wasn't like the DFA pitch. It's as simple as that.

I'd say "the DFA pitch made several things right that Jane's didn't."

Check out other campaign. Some elements work, other don't.

I'm confused by your last comment. You're saying that a person would be interested in the idea into which they're putting their money AFTER they decide to back the project? Spending money before knowing what you're purchasing? Seems counter intuitive...

Going through all the information requires motivation and time. I'm pretty sure a lot people are already pretty much on the backer side when they actually read all the infos on the site. I think the videos are especially important to attract people (but if you make them too long, add too much information and/or don't really have a clear message, I think it's difficult to succeed).

Anyway, as said before IMO the whole campaign works too much on a rational level to really attract the masses.

I guess I just don't see what's not to like. I know the video pitch wasn't as exciting as something like DFA, but to me it delivered the message and goals in direct, honest, and attractive manner.

Community Supported Gaming. Fans and backers can choose which game concept is developed first in the yearly cycle. One of the all-time adventure gaming greats.

One other criticism I've read is that this is a project that would be funded anyways, so people aren't supporting it. Double Fine is an developer with over 50 employees. Again, I'm not criticizing DFA at all. I supported it and I'm excited by it. But how can people say that Jane or Al's Kickstarter is unnecessary because the project is already designed and not apply the same commentary to an established game company that has made multiple profitable games?

The criticism doesn't add up. Jane's project is a getting a raw deal in my opinion.

I am not affiliated with Jane in ANY way, in case people start accusing me of that. I'm a huge fan of hers and of most adventure games from back in the day of Sierra and Lucasarts. I see zero logical reasons for people to selectively single out Jane's project because they didn't like how the video was done. After all the effort she's taken to post updates and answer people's questions, you're all STILL finding reasons to explain why this project is the one you don't want to support.

Think about advertising: Here you don't just inform people. You communicate on an emotional level. Focus on a clear message (unique selling proposition) - humour of course helps here. Kickstarter is not a TV-spot but successful campaigns (at least for some types of products) are strong in these fields. Jensen's campaign however is giving me informations but it's not telling me a good story.

Banner, DFA, Wasteland, Shadowrun... those campaigns make clear in the video why it's necessary for us to support them. Why Kickstarter is the only way to go - plus they communicate that on an emotional level (mostly fun and in case of banner it's pretty much with the expression of passion). I think you have to grab that issue right away and not just by informing the backers.

Besides: she did say in a recent interview that even if she didn't get the money, she'd do it...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gabriel-knight-designer-launches-pinkerton-road-6369623

Yeah, it'll make 300k 100%. No worries. Each day the campaign gets ~10.000-16.000 dollar. That's surprisingly steady and high compared to how it started. Plus most likely at the end of the campaign there will be a bit more donations. Worst cases scenario is 400k (and here I'm reeeaally pessimistic). But I'm pretty sure it will be more than 500k... 600k is the real question...

300k is not 100%. Not by a longshot. 20k of the current total is from 3 people. We're currently around 5-8k a day and trending downwards.

300k is not 100%. Not by a longshot. 20k of the current total is from 3 people. We're currently around 5-8k a day and trending downwards.

It still needs 175k. 38 days to go. Even a rate of 5k/day is enough (but so for most days have been 10k or more).

I agree that people writing on this and other forums are not very supportive of her.

Lots of people complain about the pitch video (including me i guess :P), but people should support the games and not the advertising for them. If you are taking time to write about this in a forum, you can probably take the time to make an informed decision about it as well. People are mixing up the reason why they are not supporting the project with the explanation why "people in general" are not supporting it. If hardcore (I hate that word) adventure gamers are not willing to support her project, no one will.

Hopefully she's just off to a slow start and the funding will take off after the first game concept is selected. The concept artworks look really impressive and I am certain the games will be excellent.

Sign in to follow this