Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

I am taking a red pill to block out the reality of all the folks who are still having technical issues despite their being tips/tricks/instructions all over the place to fix them and you'd think if they could figure out how to get to kickstarter, run the pledge program, connect an amazon account of some sort or fashion and more and post to complain they could equally READ previous comments to find answers to their problems. So thank you red pill for blurring that.

The blue pill is to trip out and rewatch the video for any background footage I see causing me tons of questions that will never be answered.

I still have no answer to why Tim has Nintendo 64 boxes in his office.

Also, for those who seem to want to be able to download the video because they have issues with freezing or blipping there are two great programs for this and both are 100% free. I don't know if they exist for macintosh or how good they are on linux and well, if you're on a tablet or a phone there's no such thing as NON streaming video downloading, so um... another red pill.

Anyways... Freecorder and Realplayer both have video download options for offline viewing and both are completely legal and don't break any rules, they work within the coding of the site.

And now the blue pill again... ahh...blue pill.

(I got that right, right? I haven't watched The Matrix in at least 10 years)

I see the soundtrack money was well spent. That was some emotionally moving 8-bit(?) music. Very fitting. And I really shouldn't have been surprised at the quality, given the consistently high-quality videos that have come out over the course of the campaign, but it still a pleasant 'wow' moment. Not a lot of new content, but very artifully arranged to tug on our heartstrings. I did tear up at the end bit with the livestream party and Tim's speech, not going to lie (I am convinced that part of the great success of the campaign was due to his cuddliness). I was there for the actual stream, but it came across better with actual good quality cameras (no shoes on heads, though ;) ).

Also, I am even more pleasantly surprised at how civil and literate the Double Fine Forum goers are, given that this is the internet. It almost makes me want to be literate as well.

Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes, although now I'm torn between not having game spoilers and having more video funtimes. Maybe you could put spoiler warnings on the videos that have them? Unless they're all spoilers, in which case I'm just going to have to see if I have the patience to wait a year for something this good.

" date="1333774971"]
Is it possible to download this episode somehow? I would like to watch it outside my browser ;)

Downloads will be available at the end of the series.

Oh, my! This is quite frustrating! :(

Please be informed that this effectively robs me of the possibility of watching the documentary as things progress. I specifically chose the $30 reward tier because I know that I have problems with flash videos. I thought this reward tier would make that a non-issue.

Please reconsider if you can make the episodes available for download as we go. For me, it means the difference between having the series available and not. I am not trying to be difficult, I just didn't anticipate that this would be a problem when the reward specifically said "download".

What problems are you having watching the videos?

" date="1333774971"]
Is it possible to download this episode somehow? I would like to watch it outside my browser ;)

Downloads will be available at the end of the series.

Oh, my! This is quite frustrating! :(

Please be informed that this effectively robs me of the possibility of watching the documentary as things progress. I specifically chose the $30 reward tier because I know that I have problems with flash videos. I thought this reward tier would make that a non-issue.

Please reconsider if you can make the episodes available for download as we go. For me, it means the difference between having the series available and not. I am not trying to be difficult, I just didn't anticipate that this would be a problem when the reward specifically said "download".

What problems are you having watching the videos?

* Buffering problems (stopping and lagging)

* Tearing (flash+nvidia+Linux leads to tearing)

* Inability to fullscreen the video (flash+nvidia+Linux makes this so slow it is unwatchable)

* Inability to play the video on my media PC (causing inability to use projector and proper sound equipment)

Now, since my last comment I've managed to get a hold of a http-link to the video from Vimeo's CDN. I was expecting a more difficult delivery process -- this method is quite easy to use to get the actual content so I can actually view it without having to deal with flash. So I can be less difficult now ;)

In conclusion, if I put in some work for each episode, I can make it work for me. I'd prefer not to do the extra work.

I think the consumer experience would be better if you just included the download link in the first place. There are probably people that would prefer the download but don't bother with mucking about in the html :)

Thank you for your follow-up! :)

Oh wow. The fact that you guys are even following this thread with great attention shows that this will be a very productive, insightful process. Keep up the awesome work!

Oh wow. The fact that you guys are even following this thread with great attention shows that this will be a very productive, insightful process. Keep up the awesome work!

We try to stay on top of everything.

Just this experience shows me what kind of studio 2PP really is. You guys are aces in my books!

Should a Blu-Ray disc of this documentary come out, will you guys kindly post a link to where we could order it online? I paid the $30 to download to get the final download version, but it never hurts to have a hard backup of it around. Plus I can only imagine what the special features on the disc would be like. :)

Just this experience shows me what kind of studio 2PP really is. You guys are aces in my books!

Should a Blu-Ray disc of this documentary come out, will you guys kindly post a link to where we could order it online? I paid the $30 to download to get the final download version, but it never hurts to have a hard backup of it around. Plus I can only imagine what the special features on the disc would be like. :)

I think the doc is getting bundled with the game for the physical release, so you guys will be the first to hear about how and where to get it. We're glad you're enjoying it enough so far to consider the physical copy. Most likely we'll be able to make it a little different somehow to have some added value.

the first episode was great!

Great work guys from 2PP!

But unfortunatley nothing really new about the game. I was hoping for a little brainstorming about the game like in this video:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 2PP… give us more of the content-talk like between Ron Gilbert and Tim Schäfer (see link)

The video was great! I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth, no matter how the game actually turns out, by getting to watch the process like this.

But unfortunatley nothing really new about the game. I was hoping for a little brainstorming about the game like in this video:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 2PP… give us more of the content-talk like between Ron Gilbert and Tim Schäfer (see link)

Yes, we shot that video, i remember it. Thing is, talking like that hadn't taken place yet. The next episode will feature Tim exploring the concept of adventure games more. The brainstorming is still to come, and we'll explain why it takes time to get to that point.

Well if you are open to the idea, you could keep a copy of all your "notes" that you are posting for us and use them in a playback mode where they popup (ala "Pop-up Video" style) on the disc. A director's commentary would be wicked sick too. :D

I'm an actual indie developer and I run a sizable web community for developers so for me this documentary is completely worth at least half the cost of what I put up for the game and then some.

Well if you are open to the idea, you could keep a copy of all your "notes" that you are posting for us and use them in a playback mode where they popup (ala "Pop-up Video" style) on the disc. A director's commentary would be wicked sick too. :D

I'm an actual indie developer and I run a sizable web community for developers so for me this documentary is completely worth at least half the cost of what I put up for the game and then some.

Commentary is very likely, and this will be our first blu ray so we'll be looking into what kind of extras the format has to offer. Pop up notes could be cool.

Absolutely loved the first episode, can't wait to see how things progress. Can't hope but be a bit choked up at the whole thing.

I am taking a red pill to block out the reality of all the folks who are still having technical issues despite their being tips/tricks/instructions all over the place to fix them and you'd think if they could figure out how to get to kickstarter, run the pledge program, connect an amazon account of some sort or fashion and more and post to complain they could equally READ previous comments to find answers to their problems. So thank you red pill for blurring that.

The blue pill is to trip out and rewatch the video for any background footage I see causing me tons of questions that will never be answered.

I still have no answer to why Tim has Nintendo 64 boxes in his office.

Also, for those who seem to want to be able to download the video because they have issues with freezing or blipping there are two great programs for this and both are 100% free. I don't know if they exist for macintosh or how good they are on linux and well, if you're on a tablet or a phone there's no such thing as NON streaming video downloading, so um... another red pill.

Anyways... Freecorder and Realplayer both have video download options for offline viewing and both are completely legal and don't break any rules, they work within the coding of the site.

And now the blue pill again... ahh...blue pill.

(I got that right, right? I haven't watched The Matrix in at least 10 years)

I can't really remember either, but I think I'm going to keep giving the fun-pills out, since I think for the overall health of the forum...they help!

Looking forward to the rest of Documentary. :)

Smiles

I think the doc is getting bundled with the game for the physical release, so you guys will be the first to hear about how and where to get it. We're glad you're enjoying it enough so far to consider the physical copy. Most likely we'll be able to make it a little different somehow to have some added value.

Sweet. It looks like a legit non backer retail copy is coming out!

Do you know if it will have the Mac version and if the documentary is on DVD for those without Blu-Ray players?

Awesome job, kudos all around, it did a great job setting a really happy tone, and it's forced me to buy the album the music came from Fastfall - Dustforce Original Soundtrack - Lifeformed

Sweet. It looks like a legit non backer retail copy is coming out!

Do you know if it will have the Mac version and if the documentary is on DVD for those without Blu-Ray players?

You'll be able to choose from DVD and Blu ray. The game disc should have all three versions on it as well, at least that's what we planned.

Really didn't know what to the expect from the documentary but this first episode was awesome. I cannot wait to see more from 2 Player!

Excellent work 2PP! I had pretty high expectations based on your work with Minecraft and Penny Arcade, and you've delivered.

Yes, we shot that video, i remember it. Thing is, talking like that hadn't taken place yet. The next episode will feature Tim exploring the concept of adventure games more. The brainstorming is still to come, and we'll explain why it takes time to get to that point.

This was exactly what i wanted to hear. Thank you for the fast response!

Woah, I'm in the video! (kinda) :D

Also: Fantastic job, 2PP! I can only imagine what an epic doc this will be... with about a year of production, how long do you think the whole thing will be in the end?

If somebody deserves to be inmortalized it´s YOU DUDE! Thanks again.

Ps. Here´s a link of his work if you are wondering why he´s awesome:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195492

Grim Fandango Wall Mural rulz!

And 2PP, thanks for the fast responses and technicalities of the documentary productions. You are great.

Wonderfull video! I'm really excited about this and to be a part of it! Can't wait to see more and I KNOW it will be a great game! I mean with people like Tim Schafer, the genius behind Psychonauts, and Ron Gilbert, the genius behind Monkey Island, how can it possibly fail? :)

Loved the episode. Looking forward to more!

You'll be able to choose from DVD and Blu ray. The game disc should have all three versions on it as well, at least that's what we planned.

Will we be able to get both DVD and Blu-Ray if we want?

Great video really loved it. My wife even came over to watch it. I wasn't even going to register for the secret forums :) but the video got me interested in being engaged.

Most of all the video showed me really great work environments really do exist.

Just saw the first episode.. noticed 22 minutes. I guess it depends on the material and stuff.. Still very high quality and interesting. I was hoping for more party footage hearing more of the staffs thought and experience in the "adventure" some visits in the homes of staff and travels, trips etc. More intimate with everyone around this thrilling game company is so interesting, they got there story I'd love to hear it. But hey don't listen to me, I'm just spoiled with to many shows and series al'a ~45 mins every week ;P. Although I do understand that what I'm saying is only the airing schedule and all of the other work to make a film.

Still that's something you could include too. How you guys do what you do. Show the limitations of everything, the factor of time is a big understatement that most of us would love to understand better. Not sure how many of you are in the 2PP I'm guessing 3~4. How was the money ever divided? I hope you guys got more then the 100K!

Anyways, You guys at 2PP are doing great film! Hope to see more "Quality" stuff soon!

CHEERS!

Sign in to follow this