Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

Am I the only one ho has a problem with this? The flash player is not really efficient, I get regular hickups during playback and I paid $30 to get access to downloads of the videos to prevent this. The kickstarter page said (and still says) that I would get downloads for the episodes, I'm feeling cheated now that this option appears to be revoked.

I do not feel cheated. But I would love a download option if at all possible. I'd like to watch them on my TV instead of computer.

Guys I think the point of not allowing downloads may have been to prevent sharing with people outside of those of us that backed the project.

Awesome video guys, very insightful and well-filmed! This makes me wish I could meet Tim, Ron and The gang more and more....

I can't wait to see how this series unfolds over the course of production and to see an inside view of game development.

I hope this starts as it means to go on. Seeing the emotion on their faces while it hit a million made me cheer a bit myself :) I am SO buying the blu ray of this when it comes out!

I'm just curious, has there been any footage shot for the next installment yet cuz I'm just curious of how long we'll have to wait before the next episode or what the next episode will be covering

I'm just curious, has there been any footage shot for the next installment yet cuz I'm just curious of how long we'll have to wait before the next episode or what the next episode will be covering

Try clicking on a nick and then View all posts by this member, Levering_2pp gave most of the information already.

I'm sure I missed it along the way but how often will there be new episodes?

Thanks

Monthly episode releases. There will also be extra bonus content that comes out between the episodes.

the first episode was great!

Great work guys from 2PP!

But unfortunatley nothing really new about the game. I was hoping for a little brainstorming about the game like in this video:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE 2PP… give us more of the content-talk like between Ron Gilbert and Tim Schäfer (see link)

Yes, we shot that video, i remember it. Thing is, talking like that hadn't taken place yet. The next episode will feature Tim exploring the concept of adventure games more. The brainstorming is still to come, and we'll explain why it takes time to get to that point.

I hope this starts as it means to go on. Seeing the emotion on their faces while it hit a million made me cheer a bit myself :) I am SO buying the blu ray of this when it comes out!

Tim is a really funny and entertaining guy, obviously or all his characters in his games would have completely sucked, right? But it was nice to see a more natural side of him, something you don't get to see with a big game company label, always concerned with putting on a professional face. It was really great to have a real true version of the events as they unfolded, warts and all. I'm happy to have been a teeny tiny part of making this what I'm seeing it should become.

To think of it though, I don't think anyone else has ever done a documentary (Edit: About video game development!) like this before. At least not one that isn't trying to make the company look like a bunch of super heroes and it's "the best-est company ever." This first episode didn't do that and I think that's what I like most about it so far. I am sure that Double Fine is a great place to work, but they are not trying to shove that down our throats. Instead they are just trying to be genuine and you can actually respect that more so I truly believe.

Loved the episode. Looking forward to more!
You'll be able to choose from DVD and Blu ray. The game disc should have all three versions on it as well, at least that's what we planned.

Will we be able to get both DVD and Blu-Ray if we want?

Sorry, you'll have to pick one or the other. We have estimated a 3 disc set for the doc, with another disc for the game. So if we did blu ray and DVD in one package it would be 7 discs, which is heavy to ship.

But you´ll still have your digital Download which should play on most computers and TVs these days.

Thanks for this great intro, 2PP. I didn't really think this episode would be about anything much except for the Kickstarter, considering how long it all takes to put together. That said, I'm curious... is the plan for the bonus things to release stuff on a bit more of an up-to-date turnaround, so that if there was, say, a cool meeting you wanted to show the whole of one week, you could put the whole thing on-line quite quickly, or would it be more like the bonus videos are extra things that didn't make the cut of the previous episode... or a mixture?

For everyone else who might be hoping for lots of game information early on, remember that editing this stuff is hard work, and they've only really just started talking about what the game will be... to keep yourself from going crazy you might want to expect to wait a month or two before that stuff really starts emerging in a big way ;)

That was really interesting. I didn't realise how much trouble DoubleFine were in as a company....

To have gone from "sorry guys but we need to lay off a bunch of you if we are to have any chance at survival" to getting all that funding and essentially saving those employees... well to call it an emotional rollercoaster must be an understatement.

Looking forward to the next episode 2PP!

UPDATE #8 WAS JUST THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE EVER SEEN... =-)

HOW COME EVERYONE AT DOUBLE FINE IS SO ATTRACTIVE AND CLEVER?

HOW COME ALL THE BACKERS ARE, TOO?

I LOVE YOU GUYS <3

MK

Well...Thank You! It seems as if my "Investment" will be paying off even more than i had hoped to...

Keep up the great spirit - it'll be a long year for everyone i guess.

I LOVE YOU GUYS <3

MK

Because happiness is beautiful and a rare thing this day and age.

First-time poster here. I watched the first video the other day and I was not disappointed. I first saw 2PP's work with Season 1 of the Penny Arcade stuff a few years ago. Very well done, and I am glad to see you guys are continuing to do high quality work.

I'm also looking forward to your Minecraft documentary. That was actually the first kickstarter campaign I contributed to!

I look forward to seeing the nitty-gritty of the design process.

Wow! This first episode is really well made and it just made me prouder to be part of this project!

When do we start to fund the sequel? :D

I LOVE YOU GUYS <3

MK

Because happiness is beautiful and a rare thing this day and age.

Old School adventure fans rinkels look better in a smiling face.

Finally got round to watching this today. Very nice first episode and I can watch it on the iPad which is always nice. Excellent production values and as a big fan of game music, the soundtrack was a very pleasing surprise and a hint of what to come.

Looking forward to the next update.

Antony

Oh, wow. Instructions on how to play classic adventure games, but not on how to buy them? What is this world coming to? ;-P

Anyway, I'm loving the production values on this series. It looks and sounds great. Can't wait to see the game start coming together!

This makes me even happier to be a part of this. Awesome production value from 2P, and seeing people I was not even aware were my childhood heroes. This, as clichéd as the phrase is, is history in the making. And I'm looking forward to the game too.

We're shooting next week at Double Fine to finish the second episode, which should be out in a month. We'll also have some extra content released in the interim.

I was anticipating 5 minutes clips, this is much more than I was expecting. Thanks to DF and 2PP! So glad to have supported this.

Enjoyed the video. It was a great recap of everything that went on for the kickstarter.

Can't wait to see details about the game, but like it was said in the video, that creative process takes some time to have something solidified and it is difficult to have something pinned down.

I wonder, though, if the concept art that Ron Gilbert posted on his website some months ago is related to this game.

http://grumpygamer.com/

I wonder, though, if the concept art that Ron Gilbert posted on his website some months ago is related to this game.

Nope, that's for a different project that Ron has been working on at Double Fine before the DFA was started.

Nope, that's for a different project that Ron has been working on at Double Fine before the DFA was started.

They already said that they did 0 work on thinking about how the game is gonna look like except that it will be an adventure.

Thanks for the fantastic first episode, guys. Keep up the great work! I'm really excited to see the initial game content.

I also got really excited at the mention of instructions for playing Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, and then crushed when I realized it was only to make the games compatible with modern systems, not to download the game files themselves. Double Fine! Get your old games on Steam! Machinarium is lonely.

Thanks for the fantastic first episode, guys. Keep up the great work! I'm really excited to see the initial game content.

I also got really excited at the mention of instructions for playing Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, and then crushed when I realized it was only to make the games compatible with modern systems, not to download the game files themselves. Double Fine! Get your old games on Steam! Machinarium is lonely.

That would be something LucasArts would have to do as they still own the rights to them.

That would be something LucasArts would have to do as they still own the rights to them.

True. its a shame though. I would love to get my hands on a Best of Tim's Games special edition box set that featured all of tim's games since he first got into the biz =)

Which brings me to another point, that some of his games are only on consoles and i dont have a console =( boo!

I agree it would be great if Lucas arts did bring all of Tim's games to steam. I also think it would be awesome if Iron Bragade would come to steam also.

Sign in to follow this