Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

Really nice video.

But, as a non-english speaker, I'd appreciate if these videos had optional English subtitles, to help me understand them. I know vimeo doesn't have a 'softsubs' feature (like YouTube). Maybe 2PP could upload 2 versions of this episodes, with and without subtitles ('hardsubs', or subtitles embedded in the video). This version should be useful for deaf people, too.

What do you think?

EIijR.png

BIG Quote to this. Help us to easily understand!

I strongly support this idea as well. Us non-native-english-speakers will have it much easier when there's English subtitles in addition to the voice.

Really nice video.

But, as a non-english speaker, I'd appreciate if these videos had optional English subtitles, to help me understand them. I know vimeo doesn't have a 'softsubs' feature (like YouTube). Maybe 2PP could upload 2 versions of this episodes, with and without subtitles ('hardsubs', or subtitles embedded in the video). This version should be useful for deaf people, too.

What do you think?

EIijR.png

BIG Quote to this. Help us to easily understand!

I strongly support this idea as well. Us non-native-english-speakers will have it much easier when there's English subtitles in addition to the voice.

Subs are being worked on.

jurassicfrog - Just watch the video *while embedded on this page* (or the kickstarter page). Do not click on it to open in a new window.

I tried. It appears to be the network or firewall. I ended up watching it on my kindle. Now I, too can share in the enthusiasm.

Yay!

:D

I must admit I didn't expect much of the documentary and backed for the game only. This is great stuff, though, and I am very happy with how this episode turned out. Really looking forward to upcoming installments!

This was a very interesting video of the atmosphere before the project was considered funded. It has made me very excited for the future episodes that are coming. I can't wait for the design process for the game. That is the area that I want to see behind the scenes the most. Keep up the good work.

Did I miss the email about whether or not we have access to the video outside of the kickstarter page/email, and here in the forums? I try to watch it in a bigger version by going to Vimeo and says I don't have permission to watch it there. I realize you guys want to keep it from the general public, but are we allowed to watch it there? And if so, how does one access it? Or are we only allowed to watch it in the fore mentioned places?

Did I miss the email about whether or not we have access to the video outside of the kickstarter page/email, and here in the forums? I try to watch it in a bigger version by going to Vimeo and says I don't have permission to watch it there. I realize you guys want to keep it from the general public, but are we allowed to watch it there? And if so, how does one access it? Or are we only allowed to watch it in the fore mentioned places?

During the production period the videos will only be available on Kickstarter and the Double Fine forums. This keeps them private to the community that backed the project.

wow, ron was so lucky that the bottle-cork didn't fire off into his mouth...

to all the people having problems with the flash player - have you tried watching the video in html5 ? (i.e. using a browser with no flash plugin installed? the videos work fine on ios-devices, for example - so, alternatively, mac-people could first activate the "developer" menu in safari - checkbox under preferences/advanced - and the set the user-agent to ipad)

@2playerproductions

what lenses were you using on your af-100s ? just curious...

wow, ron was so lucky that the bottle-cork didn't fire off into his mouth...

to all the people having problems with the flash player - have you tried watching the video in html5 ? (i.e. using a browser with no flash plugin installed? the videos work fine on ios-devices, for example - so, alternatively, mac-people could first activate the "developer" menu in safari - checkbox under preferences/advanced - and the set the user-agent to ipad)

@2playerproductions

what lenses were you using on your af-100s ? just curious...

I've been meaning to do an equipment rundown, so i might put all that up in a post tomorrow.

It was nice to hear the composer for Dustforce contributing his music to the video.

Is he going to be working on the DFA?

During the production period the videos will only be available on Kickstarter and the Double Fine forums. This keeps them private to the community that backed the project.

So no HD downloads until the project is finished? That kind of sucks, I didn't really want to watch the doco in front of a computer.

At least some english subtitles on the documentary videos would be really handy for the non english speakers.

Thanks!!

Looking into this.

By the way, if you need help with a french translation of the subtitles I can help ;)

Great work here on this first video; I can tell you I was a bit worried because I was somehow disappointed with the 25min interview video as it had a lot a shaky cam and out of focus moments, but all my worries are now in the past ! Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,

Seb

I must admit I didn't expect much of the documentary and backed for the game only. This is great stuff, though, and I am very happy with how this episode turned out. Really looking forward to upcoming installments!

I'm the other way around, lol.

Pretty much backed this project for the documentary, not expecting too much out of the game.

Loved the first episode, btw. :P

Hopefully, I'll be as pleasantly surprised by the game as you were of the documentary. :)

I only got around watching it today, mostly due to its stubborn refusal to play on Firefox, Opera, IE and QtWeb that I had tried out (was getting the same message posted by others). The only browser I got it to play on was SRWare Iron (a fork of Chrome), so I'd suggest to people that still have problems to grab the portable version of it or Chrome/ any browser based on Chrome, seems to do the trick.

Now, about the video.

The vibes I got from it are more on the warmhearted and emotional side than "fun", a lot of moments to smile with sympathy - how & why the genre is considered "dead", how publishers mess with developers' visions, how small studios are percieved by other "successful" entities in the game industry, where all this leaves the fans of the genre, the struggle about Kickstarter, the uncertainty and agony on how it'll turn out, the surprise and overwhelming joy about it's unprecedented success ...

I could go on but I'll just stop here and say thanks for the honest behind the scenes moments, thanks to 2 Player Productions for pulling it off. It most certainly was worth watching and I'll enjoy watching it again (and again) in the future.

BTW, I realized that I hadn't watched the pitch video of DF only after seeing its intro in this video, so went ahead and watched that as well - loved the "fan" pushing his money on Tim.

Looking forward to the next.

Lovely first episode, glad to see an up and coming documentary team from Portland too!

Couple quick questions and apologies for not sifting through all 17 pages for the answers: Will there be a regular release schedule for the episodes or will they be released as they are made? Secondly, when the project is done and the game is done, will you be creating a condensed 2 hour version that's edited once you know how everything has turned out and how the game was received?

I'd love to be able to show people the documentary when it's all done, but it's a bit hard to convince somebody to sink in a year's worth of 30 minute installments at once. :P

That being said, I do love that there's going to be regular 'episodes' being released.

Lovely first episode, glad to see an up and coming documentary team from Portland too!

Couple quick questions and apologies for not sifting through all 17 pages for the answers: Will there be a regular release schedule for the episodes or will they be released as they are made? Secondly, when the project is done and the game is done, will you be creating a condensed 2 hour version that's edited once you know how everything has turned out and how the game was received?

I'd love to be able to show people the documentary when it's all done, but it's a bit hard to convince somebody to sink in a year's worth of 30 minute installments at once. :P

That being said, I do love that there's going to be regular 'episodes' being released.

Episodes will be monthly but there is no set release day. We've thought about a feature cut of the series, but if anything like that ever happens it will most likely be for online/tv distribution. We'll be trying to get as much content on the physical release as possible because that's what the majority of people will be expecting.

At least some english subtitles on the documentary videos would be really handy for the non english speakers.

Thanks!!

Looking into this.

By the way, if you need help with a french translation of the subtitles I can help ;)

Great work here on this first video; I can tell you I was a bit worried because I was somehow disappointed with the 25min interview video as it had a lot a shaky cam and out of focus moments, but all my worries are now in the past ! Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers,

Seb

Thanks, i guess.

I guess I posted about this in the wrong place earlier. I'll have to hunt that post down and kill it later.

Anyway, I thought this was a great first episode and enjoyed it. But one thing that struck me was the background music. Specifically, it's very chiptune-y, like the Penny Arcade show. And that's fine, it sounds good, but early adventure games used either PC speaker sound (which was decidedly not chiptune) or MIDI or FM Synthesis.

I suppose you could make the argument that Maniac Mansion had an NES port so you could get your square wave fix there, but it just seemed like a bit of a thematic burp.

Anyway, I thought this was a great first episode and enjoyed it. But one thing that struck me was the background music. Specifically, it's very chiptune-y, like the Penny Arcade show. And that's fine, it sounds good, but early adventure games used either PC speaker sound (which was decidedly not chiptune) or MIDI or FM Synthesis.

I suppose you could make the argument that Maniac Mansion had an NES port so you could get your square wave fix there, but it just seemed like a bit of a thematic burp.

You do know that Maniac Mansion and Zac McKracken were originally written for C64, right? You can't get much more chiptune than SID music. :)

x7wehz9qKVo

OspGbCi2ve8

You do know that Maniac Mansion and Zac McKracken were originally written for C64, right? You can't get much more chiptune than SID music. :)

x7wehz9qKVo

OspGbCi2ve8

DERP

I completely forgotten that C64 was the original target platform. For some reason I thought early PCs were the primary, with other platforms as ports.

DERP

I completely forgotten that C64 was the original target platform. For some reason I thought early PCs were the primary, with other platforms as ports.

No worries. I've just always thought that Zak McKracken tune was pretty sweet. :)

I think the soundtrack for the docu is awesome and works well, but I'm expecting we'll get a different style/composer for the actual game.

Looking forward to the next episode! I am excited, since I had a pretty good idea what this episode would be about, in terms of content and theme...but from here on out it'll be like a surprise! :D

Smiles

Is it bad if I watched the video like... 3-4 times over the weekend? Does it eat up too much of your bandwidth if we do that?

Realy great first episode! I wonder if it's possible that the documentation will make it on TV some day.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't watch the video; it won't start for me. How do I fix this?

Sign in to follow this