Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

I have to say, the original music was money well spent.

I was hoping we might get a peek at the brainstorming and creative process in this episode but I guess that'll have to wait for next month. These are still going to be monthly, right?

Mhh the background music sounded like it is from the dustforce soundtrack (awesome game btw). Is it?
No, but same composer. Good ear.

I love this, 2PP do some really excellent documentary work (I loved them with the Penny Arcade stuff too).

I also have to say that what Tim said during that kickstarter closing video really resonated with me. As someone who spends a lot of time with his head in the clouds watching Ted talks about "the future", there's definitely this sense that I get that our culture is transforming and moving away from one in which these big monolithic entities dictate the media we consume, where everyone is forced to have the same homogeneous, prepackaged junk that's engineered for mass appeal, and where Arrested Development gets canceled.

We are starting to see a technology-catalyzed shift in society wherein individuals can interface directly with the artists and content producers that they admire, where they don't have to passively wait for things they want to be produced so they can buy them but they can say "I want to see this made", and I think that this gives people who have a love for art and entertainment the ability to support the artists and entertainers they adore on an unprecedented level.

There's suddenly a sense in which the little guy matters.

Maybe it is the case that this whole kickstarter thing is just a fad, and honestly maybe the double fine adventure game won't end up working out in the end, but ten, twenty, thirty years down the line I think that the way we do things is in for a massive, massive restructuring.

Mhh the background music sounded like it is from the dustforce soundtrack (awesome game btw). Is it?

I believe they got the composer for Dustforce to make the soundtrack for the documentary.

Good stuff, :) looking forward to the rest of the production process. And thank you for starting this kickstarter phenomenon which has resulted in other great games being funded (like Wasteland 2) and of course in emptying my bank account...

Amazing, cant wait for more :)

hopefully more project on kickstarter gets the support. Definitely an awesome new way to spend money, and feel like youre part of making a game happen.

Its just kinda crazy that they consinder Grim Fandango with ½ million units not a success, seriously, thats why games are getting dumbed down. why shouldn those ½million people have awesome games they like.

Having to sell 10-30million is stupid, the more you wanna sell in some respect the more you gotta dumb the the game, i think Angry birds have sold like 200million?

Someone posted an awesome comparison like McD crap good sells more than any good healthy good food, should there only be fastfood then? ofc not.

I hope Kickstarter will grow in the future, i rather have good smaller games, than these boring games made by big companies and yet they spend 300-400 million to make them, its crazy.

Omg! So excited for this! It was great to see the last few moments of the livestream. I tried watching it on the night but it lagged so much that it was unwatchable for me. I'm talking anywhere between 1 and 0.2 frames per second. And the sound wasn't much better.

On the one hand, I'm crazy-excited for this. I want daily updates, and videos and all sorts of crap.

But then common sense prevails and I realised that there's a cubic buttload of stuff to arrange and so much to do that the above is hopelessly unrealistic.

Either way, I'm on tenterhooks to see how this pans out!

Much love for you guys!

I believe they got the composer for Dustforce to make the soundtrack for the documentary.

Indeed so. See here: http://lifeformed.com/

Awesome choice!

Haha, very nice and funny video. Thnaks to you for giving us the chance to choose.

Excellent video! I really liked how it progressed from a down time in the Double Fine life to the upswing from Kickstarter! There have been a lot of layoffs as of late with Sega and Sony, and to see a small company get a lift from Kickstarter like this has been really inspiring!

Grats Again you guys, you have really inspired all of us smaller more niche players to keep going and aspire to better things. You give us hope Tim et al. :)

Fantastic job, you guys! It was great watching the journey up to this point. That last bit by Tim was really moving (though it made me wish Joss Whedon would sidle on over for a Firefly Kickstarter... ah, my loverly li'l daydreams (insert wistful sighs here)).

I can't wait to see more from 2PP! This was well worth the wait. :)

That was a great production and I'm extremely happy with my decision to support this project. Keep up the good work and I look forward to more in depth and interesting updates.

The video really makes me feel I am getting my money's worth out of this project...

... oh, and I'm getting a game, too! :D

That was sad in the beginning.. especially things were going so bad that you guys were considering laying off people and stuff.. :(

Then so happy. :)

Like one of those sports movies Mighty Ducks or something.

Can't wait to watch. More excited about the documentary than the game!

Where can the $100 backers download this?

Thank-you and keep up the great work!

I thought it was for anyone who donated $30 and up. Also I'd like to know too, I can't seem to watch it without the video stopping (and not loading) and me having to start it again.

I was under the impressions that downloads would come later, potentially when they're finished?

I'm so looking forward to getting home to watch this, makes working on Good Friday a little more bearable.

I wasn't able to watch the livestream on kickstarter, because I live in New Zealand, and the streaming was so slow and buggy it kept cutting out. Now all is right with the world.

I really enjoyed that. The documentary was not a factor at all in my funding the project, but now I am really excited to have access for the later stages of the development. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pre-production behind-the-scenes stuff more than I thought that I would.

Loved the episode! Now to begin impatiently waiting for the next ;)

Amazing, cant wait for more :)

hopefully more project on kickstarter gets the support. Definitely an awesome new way to spend money, and feel like youre part of making a game happen.

Its just kinda crazy that they consinder Grim Fandango with ½ million units not a success, seriously, thats why games are getting dumbed down. why shouldn those ½million people have awesome games they like.

Having to sell 10-30million is stupid, the more you wanna sell in some respect the more you gotta dumb the the game, i think Angry birds have sold like 200million?

Someone posted an awesome comparison like McD crap good sells more than any good healthy good food, should there only be fastfood then? ofc not.

I hope Kickstarter will grow in the future, i rather have good smaller games, than these boring games made by big companies and yet they spend 300-400 million to make them, its crazy.

Investors tend to chase the biggest jackpot, but they sometimes neglect to realize that that's also the biggest risk. Even though they're producing games with proven formulae, they're oversaturating the markets for those games.

It's like when companies all try to jam their games into October. It's a time when people are buying more games, and a few games will win big, but many others will get lost in the shadows of those big games and would have done better if they released during a lighter schedule.

It just comes down to ego. Everyone always thinks their project is the big winner, no one wants to take the smaller bet.

Really enjoyable and inspirational.

I do hope nobody on the canceled project had to get laid off due to financial concerns. If the Kickstarter campaign helped a bit to keep the team on it's already money well spent.

Nice start to the documentary. Having paid close attention to the Kickstarter I already knew the basics but there was still plenty in there which was news to me. I hadn't, for instance, been aware that you'd had a game cancelled before the Kickstarter happened. Am I right in thinking the layoffs have been averted thanks to the success of DFA? If so it feels pretty good to be part of that.

Wow, that was fabulous! If the rest of the documentary is of that quality, I don't think I'll really care about the game!! :D

I think some of the music was used in Dustforce, as I heard Cider Time playing half way through. Love the soundtrack, and would encourage folks to listen/buy some of Terrance Lee's stuff - http://lifeformed.bandcamp.com/album/fastfall

Can't wait to watch. More excited about the documentary than the game!

Where can the $100 backers download this?

Thank-you and keep up the great work!

I thought it was for anyone who donated $30 and up. Also I'd like to know too, I can't seem to watch it without the video stopping (and not loading) and me having to start it again.

I was under the impressions that downloads would come later, potentially when they're finished?

I'm so looking forward to getting home to watch this, makes working on Good Friday a little more bearable.

I wasn't able to watch the livestream on kickstarter, because I live in New Zealand, and the streaming was so slow and buggy it kept cutting out. Now all is right with the world.

Yeah, they said they will be releasing the 1080p versions for download when the game comes out. But that should also be included on the Blu/DVD discs with the game, so I guess the download won't be all the necessary by then, but I could be wrong.

Great job on the vid, 2PP! And congrats again to all of DF! Also, can't wait to get this soundtrack :)

Now that I've finally got to see this all the way though I can say, this was amazing! Can't wait to see the rest and of course the game itself!

Sign in to follow this