Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

Really nice video.

But, as a non-english speaker, I'd appreciate if these videos had optional English subtitles, to help me understand them. I know vimeo doesn't have a 'softsubs' feature (like YouTube). Maybe 2PP could upload 2 versions of this episodes, with and without subtitles ('hardsubs', or subtitles embedded in the video). This version should be useful for deaf people, too.

What do you think?

EIijR.png

Very good and enjoyable.

A little bit dissapointed about the inserted footage, because I already knew that.

But you kept the essence of what I wanted to see.

Can't wait for more.

P.S. What camera are you using?

DSLR or something like the Sony PMW-EX3 ?

Since they didn't get into it... I assume the cancelled project is this "Specs" thing that was shown off at NYU and posted on Joystiq. It's a shame and a blessing for me that this game never saw fruition since it was a Kinect only thing. I just can't see spending $100s on a console for just a game or two.

It's amazing that so much work was put into this thing that Double Fine was almost on the crank of falling apart, so thank god for Adventure fan lovers and for Tim and team's ingenuity.

I hope that whatever graphics engine, conceptual pices developed for that game are stuff that Double Fine can implement somehow. It'd be lame if the publisher who brought if forward said "We're not going to make that game or use the stuff you made for it, but neither are you!".

Anyhoo, excellent first episode... definitely well produced and edited, had an HBO documentary feel to it with usage of various resources and sit down interviews cut into contextual setting. Good stuff 2PP, might be your finest work yet.

Music was awesome too, look forward to being able to load that onto an mp3 player and have it guide me during travels.

Really nice video, I enjoyed it and look forward to the next one. P.S. I still want to see Tim dress as a pirate for a pirate bay version of a video. You know, for kicks to all those pirates out there that will eventually get the video =)

Really enjoyable and inspirational.

I do hope nobody on the canceled project had to get laid off due to financial concerns. If the Kickstarter campaign helped a bit to keep the team on it's already money well spent.

Tim has said that they didn't lay them off. I'm sure kickstarter helped cement that, although there are other pitches going on too. He said they might even have to hire some more people now.

That was a really great video. It was nice to see how happy Tim was about the Kickstarter success. I hope the episodes continue to be as well made and witty as this one!

02:33 // We used footage from Gamespot’s live stream but we did actually film that night at the GDC awards as part of our work on the Minecraft documentary. Keep an eye out for the Notch cameo.

Huh, I thought I saw someone familiar.

I recognized his hat.

Really enjoyable and inspirational.

I do hope nobody on the canceled project had to get laid off due to financial concerns. If the Kickstarter campaign helped a bit to keep the team on it's already money well spent.

Tim has said that they didn't lay them off. I'm sure kickstarter helped cement that, although there are other pitches going on too. He said they might even have to hire some more people now.

I'm not surprised, getting SO MUCH more than what the were asking, all the good press, and generally the amount of buzz they created, is a great way to get yourself attention!

Publishers all around the world probably started taking notice and green lighting projects they'd all by written off.

Good time to be at Double Fine!

Nice first episode! Congratulations all around. :3

It's also good to see that rather than Kickstarter being a one-time, perfect storm funding option, DFA has actually been the catalyst for bringing other niche titles the funding they need.

It would be great if these updates videos are also compiled and included in the documentary DVD/Blu-ray.

Thanks very much for this great video!

It was nice to get to see some of the behind-the-scenes stuff going on, even though a fair chunk of it was stuff many people here will already be familiar with from following the Kickstarter. Looking forward to the next episode.

Interesting first video. The video felt very real, the clip on the little girl in the end was cute too. the video almost made it feel like I was really there. Keep up the good work!

I look forward to the next update. :D

Very nice video. Thanks a lot guys!

Without sounding like a douchebag I have one question: do the voices of people speaking sound really quiet to anyone else? For me it seems like they dip up and down a lot and aren't "normalized" in any way. It's very "dynamic" :) It's not a soundcard issue or anything.

Anyway, great to get the ball rolling! This is gonna be an awesome game!

I'm with you on that one, I'm not a native speaker and couldn't understand some dialogue due to the low volume of some parts.

I'm not complaining, mind you, it's awesome to see the project rolling and the documentary happening, thanks guys!

That was really slick. Really well done. I cannot wait to see the whole thing unfold over the next year, I'm sure it won't disappoint. There really nothing else to say. Really good job guys and I can't wait.

Great to see the first video - quality is amazing! Can't wait to see more. I'm really looking forward to the more production-y stuff, cause as good as that was, it felt like a recap of stuff I mostly already knew (which, I know, there's nothing else to say/show at this point, just saying I'm much more excited about videos still to come). It was great to hear that DFA did allow the company not to have to lay off anyone after having their other game cancelled - feels good to know that that was one of the outcomes of our funding.

Really well done.

You are a great team and your video are always really entertaining !

If you kickstart some part of another Psychonauts i am sure there could be many backer on this project too !!

Great video! I love the ustream segment with the countdown, it captured the excitement in Double Fine. This documentary is going to be really interesting and inspiring . I also like the detailed episode notes, I visited most of the links in there. I swear I must have spent 3 hours watching interviews and trying to get Grim Fandango working.

Congratulations, Double Fine team! I'm looking forward to more updates.

So it begins. This is great foreshadowing for what to expect from the episodes.

Dig the tunes, too.

Aw I hate you, you made me cry. I am so glad I was a part of this. I have worked places where there were massive cutbacks and know what that moral is and to see everyone's faces as they saw how we all support them was amazing. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with but I already regret not giving more because I feel like I've already gotten back way more than I put in. Keep on dreaming, someone has to and it probably won't be me ;) Cheers guys

Gets me thinking about Grim Fandango. Why ISN'T there a digital version available? I've never had a chance to play it, I'd love to play it, I've got no talent for making old games or rips of old games play properly. I wonder why more digital download versions of classics aren't commercially available; Great Old Games is a treasure trove for me and certainly other players that pay for games. I'd much rather pay 5 or 10$ for a game that works from download than muck about on Ebay.

Any tips on how to see the video? Both on Kickstarter and on this forum I see the message:

Sorry

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature.

Hey that was a really awesome video update. I'll admit I didn't expect it to be as long as it was! Can't wait to see what comes down the pipeline next. =)

Sign in to follow this