Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob dumb

Favorite games and such.

Pah. Rare left because they viewed Nintendo as a sinking ship, so they went to MS for the big bucks.

Conker was awful. A disgrace, if you will. Viva Pinata is the only one from that list I'll agree with.

Nintendo is certainly guilty of milking the rehashes, but at least they turn out awesome every time.

Like I said, it isn't coincidental that the Stampers sold their baby to MS and then left with a ton of money. Sometimes what a fan would see as a stab in the back to them, is nothing more than a business transaction. So yeah, Rare viewed Nintendo as the sinking ship because the N64 and Gamecube sort of spelled out to them that they should go elsewhere. Makes sense if you are a developer who could go under unless you had funding to continue work. It's a sad reality of the industry that it takes money to make money. MS had more money, so Rare went that way.

Conker is a love it or hate it game. Even though I also didn't care for it, I know that it wasn't that bad since many do like it. I wouldn't say that milking rehashes successfully equates into being "awesome every time". While that might work for some gamers who attach themselves to those brands, I actually like fresh ideas and innovation even when it comes to characters and story in games. It is still fun to rescue the princess/defeat the evil scientist/and drive go-carts in circles shooting turtle shells though.

It's cool. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Hooray!

Like I said, it isn't coincidental that the Stampers sold their baby to MS and then left with a ton of money. Sometimes what a fan would see as a stab in the back to them, is nothing more than a business transaction. So yeah, Rare viewed Nintendo as the sinking ship because the N64 and Gamecube sort of spelled out to them that they should go elsewhere. Makes sense if you are a developer who could go under unless you had funding to continue work. It's a sad reality of the industry that it takes money to make money. MS had more money, so Rare went that way.

Conker is a love it or hate it game. Even though I also didn't care for it, I know that it wasn't that bad since many do like it. I wouldn't say that milking rehashes successfully equates into being "awesome every time". While that might work for some gamers who attach themselves to those brands, I actually like fresh ideas and innovation even when it comes to characters and story in games. It is still fun to rescue the princess/defeat the evil scientist/and drive go-carts in circles shooting turtle shells though.

It's cool. You have your opinion, and I have mine. Hooray!

Ah, but Nintendo continues to be more profitable, yes? That's a ship that won't sink, unlike the Titanic, which is what the first Xbox was, haha, pun, see? It was huge. Could kill a full grown man if you dropped it on him.

But seriously, Microsoft? Sure, they've got a lot of money... but how could they have been viewed by Rare as serious competition? I didn't even consider them serious until the 360 started to pump out some excellent games, and even then... it's actually still a bit niche. Just a bit, though.

I loved the first Conker, the remake I found meh. I like remakes like Resident Evil 1 for Gamecube, that was awesome. Though not as awesome as RE4 of course.

I didn't say redoing something makes it awesome every time, I said even though Nintendo is founded on their hit series, they manage to innovate and bring enough new things to the table to make every new experience fresh and fun. Well, except maybe Mario Party, but that doesn't count. It just doesn't.

Fresh ideas and innovation? C'mon buddy, this is Nintendo we're talking about. The #1 source for innovation and fresh ideas. Do they reuse ideas? Sure! But they also come up with them. The DS, the Wii... Chibi Robo, Pikmin, Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, etc. The list goes on! Whether for a Nintendo console or made by Nintendo, I doubt you'll find more innovation elsewhere. Except for maybe Tim Schafer's games, which should have my babies.

Also, I don't go by the whole "everyone has an opinion so let's frolic" shtick. :P I disagree! And I will not agree to disagree! That destroys the fun of disagreement.

In no specific order:

Psychonauts

God of War I & II

Prince of Persia Trilogy

Grandia 2

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

Final Fantasy series

Mario games in general

Half Life series

and many more, but I'll leave it at that.

Ah, but Nintendo continues to be more profitable, yes? That's a ship that won't sink, unlike the Titanic, which is what the first Xbox was, haha, pun, see? It was huge. Could kill a full grown man if you dropped it on him.

But seriously, Microsoft? Sure, they've got a lot of money... but how could they have been viewed by Rare as serious competition? I didn't even consider them serious until the 360 started to pump out some excellent games, and even then... it's actually still a bit niche. Just a bit, though.

I loved the first Conker, the remake I found meh. I like remakes like Resident Evil 1 for Gamecube, that was awesome. Though not as awesome as RE4 of course.

I didn't say redoing something makes it awesome every time, I said even though Nintendo is founded on their hit series, they manage to innovate and bring enough new things to the table to make every new experience fresh and fun. Well, except maybe Mario Party, but that doesn't count. It just doesn't.

Fresh ideas and innovation? C'mon buddy, this is Nintendo we're talking about. The #1 source for innovation and fresh ideas. Do they reuse ideas? Sure! But they also come up with them. The DS, the Wii... Chibi Robo, Pikmin, Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy, etc. The list goes on! Whether for a Nintendo console or made by Nintendo, I doubt you'll find more innovation elsewhere. Except for maybe Tim Schafer's games, which should have my babies.

Also, I don't go by the whole "everyone has an opinion so let's frolic" shtick. :P I disagree! And I will not agree to disagree! That destroys the fun of disagreement.

Wanna hug? :cheese:

Nintendo is profitable on the hardware side. Show me third party titles that support the actual developers (not second or first in-the-pocket-of-Nintendo titles) that have become "profitable" on the Wii system. Are there any? Hmm..?

I like what you said about Mario Party. It was a big step of you admitting that you're being selective with what titles are successful and which are not. :wink-wink: *chuckles* First party and Second Party is what Nintendo owns and always have owned when compared to other systems.

Nintendo is innovative on hardware and first-second party software, no doubts about it. When it comes to actual developers making profits (not which console or console maker is making money) the one's on the MS platform are making more gains than those on both Nintendo or Sony right now. It doesn't do much good to compare the handheld spectrum and combine it with the home consoles when I am just talking about console software btw. (apples to apples comparisions.)

While disagreeing is fun, I whole heartily like that you are able to construct a civil conversation with me unlike some of the game forums I've been around. I just don't want this to be a poo flinging contest between us and let others post. This is how I am looking at things at the moment:

PC= Everybody wins. Except that poor soul who can't afford to upgrade their hardware adequately.

Nintendo= First Party + Second Party software and Innovative Hardware. Almost ALL the money stays with Nintendo in this equation so you are right about them being the most profitable but what does that do for the devs??

Microsoft= Third Party Support + Exclusive Title Support (third party in conjunction with MSGS first party). More money goes to publisher and therefore more money goes to the actual developers for their products. Microsoft banks on the support to gain more to their install base to compete with Sony's platform while casually watching what Nintendo is doing on the GameCubeMotionEvolution 2.0 (Wii). lolz. (Take that Titanic-Xbox insulter! *giggle-snort*)

Sony- Existing install base of gamers, Solid hardware and BluRay player built in for HT enthusiasts, not many third party titles and not many first party titles (yet) = ????

And all of this doesn't even really matter. At all. I want them all to do well and be competitive so that we all get better games on whatever the hell systems we are playing on. Please at least agree with this you stubborn son of a gun!!

Wasn't Rare second-party at one point? The rest of what you said is pretty much true, but I could have sworn at one point Rare was second-party... I could be mistaken, but I know I had heard it somewhere. They were on pretty solid footing...

I want them all to do well, but I also don't always have the money for all three. Once they all join forces and make a superconsole, and then get new competition, then I'll be happy. Because nobody likes the new guy.

Wasn't Rare second-party at one point? The rest of what you said is pretty much true, but I could have sworn at one point Rare was second-party... I could be mistaken, but I know I had heard it somewhere. They were on pretty solid footing...

I want them all to do well, but I also don't always have the money for all three. Once they all join forces and make a superconsole, and then get new competition, then I'll be happy. Because nobody likes the new guy.

Yeah Rare was second-party for Nintendo, but what does that matter when they only did Nintendo stuff exclusively? They did partner with non-Nintendo publishers on the arcade cabinet scene (Midway, formerly Bally Midway and Williams Home) and even signed a deal with Sony once. So that is why they were called a "second party" developer. It'd be like saying Microsoft Gaming Studios is second party for Microsoft, by today's standard. You don't really see too many second party devs anymore imo because they were sorta like the middleman of the gaming industry, either that or they have just shyed away from the term. The man wants his money. ALL of it.

Btw, Rare has done a DS game since being bought by Microsoft.. just reminding you. :wink:

Good talk. Let's move on!

Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4, Perfect Dark, Mario 3, Big Brain for DS, Goldeneye, Super Mario World, and Mary Kate and Ashley Games.

Psychonauts and Grim Fandango (obviously), Kotor, the 2 Phoenix Wrights, Hotel Dusk Room 215, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Super Mario 64...hm, all I can think of for now.

Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4, Perfect Dark, Mario 3, Big Brain for DS, Goldeneye, Super Mario World, and Mary Kate and Ashley Games.

If you are serious about the Mary Kate and Ashley games I am going to have to maim you.

Now this is hard for me because i have to many favorites. So i will list the games that i've had the most enjoyable experiences with.

1.LOZ: Ocarina of Time

2.Halo (Series)

3.Psychonauts

4.Oddworld Strangers Wrath

5.Bioshock

Honorable mentions

Jet Set Radio Future

Stubbs the Zombie

Shadow of the Colossus

Dead Rising

Crack Down

Wanna hug? :cheese:

Nintendo is profitable on the hardware side. Show me third party titles that support the actual developers (not second or first in-the-pocket-of-Nintendo titles) that have become "profitable" on the Wii system. Are there any? Hmm..?

I like what you said about Mario Party. It was a big step of you admitting that you're being selective with what titles are successful and which are not. :wink-wink: *chuckles* First party and Second Party is what Nintendo owns and always have owned when compared to other systems.

Nintendo is innovative on hardware and first-second party software, no doubts about it. When it comes to actual developers making profits (not which console or console maker is making money) the one's on the MS platform are making more gains than those on both Nintendo or Sony right now. It doesn't do much good to compare the handheld spectrum and combine it with the home consoles when I am just talking about console software btw. (apples to apples comparisions.)

While disagreeing is fun, I whole heartily like that you are able to construct a civil conversation with me unlike some of the game forums I've been around. I just don't want this to be a poo flinging contest between us and let others post. This is how I am looking at things at the moment:

PC= Everybody wins. Except that poor soul who can't afford to upgrade their hardware adequately.

Nintendo= First Party + Second Party software and Innovative Hardware. Almost ALL the money stays with Nintendo in this equation so you are right about them being the most profitable but what does that do for the devs??

Microsoft= Third Party Support + Exclusive Title Support (third party in conjunction with MSGS first party). More money goes to publisher and therefore more money goes to the actual developers for their products. Microsoft banks on the support to gain more to their install base to compete with Sony's platform while casually watching what Nintendo is doing on the GameCubeMotionEvolution 2.0 (Wii). lolz. (Take that Titanic-Xbox insulter! *giggle-snort*)

Sony- Existing install base of gamers, Solid hardware and BluRay player built in for HT enthusiasts, not many third party titles and not many first party titles (yet) = ????

And all of this doesn't even really matter. At all. I want them all to do well and be competitive so that we all get better games on whatever the hell systems we are playing on. Please at least agree with this you stubborn son of a gun!!

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but i do have an issue with them abandoning the entire gamers market and going after alpha moms instead. This Christmas will really tell if the Wii and Nintendo are serious or not. I mean yes they are selling hardware like it's nobodies business, but the number one selling game is Mario Party 8. The 360 is still killing in software sales. Nintendo needs to choose a side really, gamers or alpha moms because they are going to leave one party behind regardless. Right now it's the gamers. Nintendonauts i'm sorry one good game every 6 to 8 months isn't going to do it for me.

I don't hate the wii, i actually have alot of fun with it. It's just sad to see the complete lack of games that are not super simple or just a collection of mini games.

I don't hate the wii, i actually have alot of fun with it. It's just sad to see the complete lack of games that are not super simple or just a collection of mini games.

Don't the developers control what kinds of games are made for which systems, and not Nintendo? Nintendo develops some games, true, but most games are made by other companies.

" date="1188337102"]

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but i do have an issue with them abandoning the entire gamers market and going after alpha moms instead. This Christmas will really tell if the Wii and Nintendo are serious or not. I mean yes they are selling hardware like it's nobodies business, but the number one selling game is Mario Party 8. The 360 is still killing in software sales. Nintendo needs to choose a side really, gamers or alpha moms because they are going to leave one party behind regardless. Right now it's the gamers. Nintendonauts i'm sorry one good game every 6 to 8 months isn't going to do it for me.

Apparently you miss the point entirely. The Wii is supposed to be for everybody, not just the hardcore gamers. They've stated on several occasions that Sony and Microsoft can fight for the 'hardcore' crowd, they're going for the untapped gaming market. And might I say, they're kicking ass at it.

" date="1188337102"]

Apparently you miss the point entirely. The Wii is supposed to be for everybody, not just the hardcore gamers. They've stated on several occasions that Sony and Microsoft can fight for the 'hardcore' crowd, they're going for the untapped gaming market. And might I say, they're kicking ass at it.

I understand they are going for everyone, but the console i don't think is selling to the gamer market at all. Like i said Christmas will tell, but hardware sales are awesome, but they still need to get people to purchase software. With out the software sales the console will not do that great and 3rd party will stay away from the console, and as of right now Nintendo's plan isn't selling software, unless it's Mario Party but then we get into the game cube realm where only Nintendo games sell.

" date="1188348181"]
" date="1188337102"]

I understand they are going for everyone, but the console i don't think is selling to the gamer market at all. Like i said Christmas will tell, but hardware sales are awesome, but they still need to get people to purchase software. With out the software sales the console will not do that great and 3rd party will stay away from the console, and as of right now Nintendo's plan isn't selling software, unless it's Mario Party but then we get into the game cube realm where only Nintendo games sell.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't mind if only Nintendo sells games.

" date="1188348181"]
" date="1188337102"]

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't mind if only Nintendo sells games.

No i'm sure they don't. lol

" date="1188337102"]

Nintendo.

Tapping Alpha Moms One Wii At A Time. (and kicking ass while doing it.)

That is all.

ALPHA MOMS, ALPHA MOMS, ALPHA MOMS.....(Totally stolen from EGM Live)

Hmm. I saw alot of mentions for GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but none for Timesplitters.

From Wikipedia: Key members of the GoldenEye development team left Rare soon after beginning work on Perfect Dark. Head of Software Martin Hollis was the first to leave in 1998, working at Nintendo of America on the GameCube, and in 2000 he started his own company, Zoonami. Other members such as David Doak left soon after he did and formed Free Radical Design.

Free Radical Design makes Timesplitters and the upcoming Haze. Give Timesplitters: Future Perfect a try and tell me that it doesn't remind you of GoldenEye.

/End Ad

If you are serious about the Mary Kate and Ashley games I am going to have to maim you.

"You got it deewwd!" 'member how the Olsen twins said that when they were on Full House?

Full House was ripe with mediocrity.
It didn't shock me when the lady who played that middle sister whose name I don't remember because she's not important said she was a meth addict. When your on a show with people who would go on to marry and divorce the lady who played Mystique, played a Bit part in the Even Stephens tv movie, host America's Funniest Home Movies, your destined for a life of drugs and loserdom.

I remember watching the Even Stephens movie, and freaking out when Uncle Joey poped out and was like "Gotcha!"

Full House was ripe with mediocrity.
It didn't shock me when the lady who played that middle sister whose name I don't remember because she's not important said she was a meth addict. When your on a show with people who would go on to marry and divorce the lady who played Mystique, played a Bit part in the Even Stephens tv movie, host America's Funniest Home Movies, your destined for a life of drugs and loserdom.

I remember watching the Even Stephens movie, and freaking out when Uncle Joey poped out and was like "Gotcha!"

You know that when you are watching a show who's only draw is a couple of cute kids with canned lines that you are really watching a desperate bid for ratings. It gnawed at my heart to know that it did so well.

Nobody likes Timesplitters. :(

I like timesplitters, - I have played the first game in coop :) .

TimeSplitters, you're fun, don't worry

Sign in to follow this