• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Zeta789

On the topic of spanish subtitles...

I was going to post this on the other thread about spanish subtitles but I figured it may get lost along the posts of the thread and since it concerns the documentary more than the game, I thought of making another thread.

Anyway, my point is: I'm watching the first episode of the documentary and I figure that maybe some people want it in spanish so they can understand it better. Since I can speak and write english pretty well (and spanish is my natural language), I volunteer to do the subtitles for each chapter in spanish. I don't know if the idea will catch up but maybe there is more people interested in the documentary that don't speak english all that well, so yeah.

What do you think, is it worth it?

Pretty please with sugar on top? I understood most of the video but missed a lot for sure!

Ps. Arf it's the third time i try to post with the fast reply and couldnt...(im on iphone)

*snip*

It'd be a good idea to do this sort of like how Steam or some Wikis do it. To avoid using colloquial words and keep it neutral.

Nada de vos, ni wey, ni guay, etc.

please, por favor

Talking about translations... great work on your own blog. If you can, add some section for them, so you can see what patchs are available on your site. And thank you for work.

Asked the same question weeks ago:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5884/P15/

Hi there, congratulations to everybody!

I was just wondering Paul if with the exclusive private Vimeo video releases for backers, would be possible to put subtitles for many languages by the fans? We know the game will be in EFIGS but I feel the documentary should be the same.

At the end, I was thinking that maybe if you feel comfortable with it, those same subs could be incorporated to the final DVD/Blu ray master and that way the documentary would be enjoyed even more people when the game is finished and be fully appreciated by those who paid for a fully localized game.

Who knows? Maybe the documentary would end being cooler than the game. ;) j/k

Anyway, in the future once the game and doc are released, I´m sure that sooner or later somebody will completely subtitle it, it´s just that it would be nicer to "officially" be a part of it as the whole DFA process goes.

My opinion is that it would cost nothing to you and can actually make your work and DF´s reach more people, which I´m sure you all deserve.

Subtitles are a little bit tricky. It would be very expensive to get them done professionally for the amount of content we're releasing, especially if we're talking EFIGS. We don't have selectable sub options with the video streams either, so we would have to burn them in to the video. Getting these made would slow the turnaround time of the videos too.

I don't have anything against fan subs, but i would rather not include them in the official release. Not to say anything would happen, but it is possible for people to insert inappropriate material into fan subs since we can't understand them and check the material. Let's not forget what happened with Minecraft.

We can look into English subs for the digital release at the end of the project, and maybe other languages as well. It's something we're thinking of, and we'll do what we can to find the best solution.

And yeah, I would like to do the same, as I did with the pitch video, but I really understand their concerns and respect them. I would love to do it though to the point where I would subtitle the whole game + doc for nothing, I would even pay to travel to the US and meet them and sign anything so they make sure I´m not a scoundrel and that I would treat their work with all devotion and professionalism:

I care that much. But a Man Can Only Dream...

jggfYU1y2Rk

On Khan Academy (khanacademy.org, see right below any embedded video), they're using a subtitle system called universal subtitles. I'm not sure if that's workable for DFA, but perhaps that could be handy to crowdsource the translation of the individual video releases in a wide variety of languages (maybe not for the official dvd release indeed).

On the videos at Ted.com they do the same. The issue here is that Vimeo doesn´t accept any and that they want to keep the videos private for the backers.

It would be great if you could do that Zeta789.

And about the discussion regarding subtitles technilogy to use, I think it could very well be released separately as a srt file or something. Any of us can download the video anyway, and could use a media player to add the subs.

Oh and by the way, it woul be really great if someone could make subs for the previous videos, specially the one of the interview between Tim and Ron ;)

Well, is there any official word about this? Between Mike and me, you've got two persons who are willing to do this for free. And it apparently WILL do a difference to some people.

Sign in to follow this