Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Azrael

Little things that annoy you about games.

I'll start off - the way games never let you carry on after you've finished! That might sound contradictorarilytastic, but think about it - if games let you find all the secrets, collect all the powerups, get to rank 100 after you had beaten the boss, then they would have much more playability value. I don't want to have to start from the beginning of Psychonauts just to get all the ranks and figments and stuff, and if I were allowed to stay at the camp after I had beaten up a twenty-two foot tall 2HB with giant cleavers, I wouldn't have to.

So, what annoys you about games? (Apart from terrible camera angles. YES, SUPER MARIO SIXTY-FOUR, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU.)

I am annoyed by:

Games that do not support a Save-Anywhere feature.

Games that do not support multiple game save slots and/or have poor choices for auto-save checkpoints.

Games that do not support customization of controls for the game so that all users have the choice of controls.

Games that do not support audio/video customization to support all the different technologies. Everyone has different set-ups for gaming, so the game should be flexible to support the different standards available today.

Games that have content tied to the disc that can only be unlocked by purchasing it's content via Xbox Live Marketplace or other online content distribution that should be free if it is already on the disc.. since you paid for the disc and all content therein. Extra content that is not already on the disc is exceptable as purchasable like themes, gamerpics, and supplimentary content (booster content, extra costumes, extra levels or maps, extra characters, etc.).

Bad camera controls or lack of camera control functionality. We have been in the 3D era how long now??

Games that suck, that should've either been scrapped or given more development time to deliver an entertaining experience that is at least equivelent to it's purchase price.

I hate games that...

Won't let you name the main character

Has your main character start out with amnesia (too common)

Have Tank Controlls (super annoying)

Battles go on seemingly forever

Seems impossible to beat without a cheat device of some kind.

Basically, those are my pet peeves in a game.

Games that suck, that should've either been scrapped or given more development time to deliver an entertaining experience that is at least equivelent to it's purchase price.

Super Man 64? Ninja Bread Man?

I'm annoyed by games that are way too short/easy. As a gamer, I want a challenge. not something frustrating, but that will provide a challange (that's right, there is a fine line between the two). I know Psychonauts was kind of short and easy, but it completely made up for it with all the content and the fact that it actualy made me laugh, where other humor based games can only make me chuckle a little.

Also, with games and difficulty, I hate how there will be difficulty selects that don't seem to change anything or change things incorectly. Example: I've played some games where if you select hard mode, it ends up being more easy than normal mode.

I am annoyed by just lame games in general. But, I have a very limited amount of money, and so when I buy games I tend to not buy ones I know will be good, so I don't encounter that problem a lot. xD

Otherwise, the only real thing on games that drives me insane are the Loading screens. Psychonauts unfortunately has a whole lot of them, and they are a LOT longer than the loading screens on most of m other games. It drives me insane when I'm running around the camp. >.>

I guess I also hate it when you can't save anywhere- It's annoying when I need to go somewhere, but the only place to save would take me like 30 minutes to get to. e.e

With camera functions, etc. as long as it isn't REALLY BAD in some way, I can usually adjust to it fairly easily.

I hate it when they show little videos for the companies' logos before the main screen. You bought the game, so why should you have to put up with their advertising?

EDIT: Apple Pop, have you played Portal? It's the funniest game I know of.

I hate games that don't try something new and just repeat the same story/twist/game mechanic. I've already played 500 fps' and you really think we need another one? Wait, let me guess the story...only one man can save the universe from some awful alien race who's trying to wipeout mankind. I've already played the game about a cute anthropomorphic character who has to save his village/town/girl he's fallen in love with. But wait, he's not just an ordinary racoon/kangaroo/wallaby/platypus/giraffe/some hybrid between a cat and a dog...klonoa? He's/she's got...ATTITUDE!

I hate games that pretend to understand how gamers really think and end up patronizing them. Those types of games are usually the ones that, when you first hear about them, sound amazing but then the Publisher's PR people come in and start hacking away at things because of focus groups and you end up with a steaming pile of poo...whew, that was quite a run on sentence.

Overall I think the only thing that really bothers me in most games is the lack of originality. As I am a sucker for great art styles/tales-- such as Okami, Ico, Killer 7, Psychonauts etc. I just find it makes it even more difficult to tolerate a mundane game when not even the design appears to have been given due time to mould.

Poorly written scripts with cliche's that are so old it makes that green thing at the back of my fridge look like a fledgling.

Not forgetting EA, more or less on the whole.

I hate it when they show little videos for the companies' logos before the main screen. You bought the game, so why should you have to put up with their advertising?

Well if you consider that advertising, then I would suspect that you absolutely hate all movies that show their studio's logo at the beginning and end of the film, and the same goes for all television programing too. Those company logos are stamping the brand and names of people (collectively) whom have either worked on or helped get that game into public hands (developers, publishers, third party company that helped either developer or publisher, etc.).

That is called branding imo, not advertising. Advertising is like when you are in the game and see a billboard or company logo all over the place in the game or in it's menus.. EA is notorious for this in it's sports and racing titles (Burnout series, Need for Speed series, etc.).

Well if you consider that advertising, then I would suspect that you absolutely hate all movies that show their studio's logo at the beginning and end of the film, and the same goes for all television programing too. Those company logos are stamping the brand and names of people (collectively) whom have either worked on or helped get that game into public hands (developers, publishers, third party company that helped either developer or publisher, etc.).

That is called branding imo, not advertising. Advertising is like when you are in the game and see a billboard or company logo all over the place in the game or in it's menus.. EA is notorious for this in it's sports and racing titles (Burnout series, Need for Speed series, etc.).

Exactly. I honestly see no problem with putting the logo of the publishers on there. Otherwise, I would have no idea as to the brilliant minds and talents who created Psychonauts! When they put their own logo on there, that isn't advertising. Why would they advertise for a game you already bought, ON the game you bought? That's stupid. They are just letting you know who made it, so that the people who put all the work into it, made it playable for your system, or whatever, will get the recognition that they deserve. If it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have the game you're playing. You should have some respect, you know?

If they make it so you can't hit a button and skip looking at the logos, that's a little annoying because you have to wait, but otherwise it's fine. Sometimes I like to look at the little logo videos, but sometimes I have limited time and just want to get to the game!

Whew, long reply!

Lack of originality in story (see all 5,000 lists of RPG cliches on internet)

Gameplay mechanics that don't even ATTEMPT to be novel.

No ability to invert camera control in options.

No ability to skip over cinematics and cutscenes, especially when they are very frequent. (Sly Cooper = GUILTIEST GAMES OF ALL TIME).

Games that don't constantly use their mechanics in new ways, keeping the game interesting, but instead just give you the same gameplay and enemies in every level, only the new level has a slightly different theme, and all the enemies are painted a different color and have slightly different names, etc. You might as well give me a ball and paddle to play with, and then when I get bored, just give me a different ball and paddle where the ball is green instead of red, and instead of calling it a ball and paddle, call it a sphere and racket or something. Think of a way to pull the same trick seven times and the check's in the mail!

Bad voice acting, but pretty much everyone hates that. How can they not tell how bad it is? I really wonder sometimes.

Games where the unlockables are really lousy, but the unlocking requirements are extremely steep and not worth the payoff. (Ex. Kill every enemy in this level using only the most basic moves while collecting all 50 doo-dads without taking any damage in three minutes or less and... TADA!!! Now your character wears sunglasses! Isn't that cool?)

Games where every level or mission requires collecting doo-dads in time, jumping through all the hoops in time, getting from point A to point B in time, killing X number of enemies in time, etc. (Jak III was a fine example of this kind of bland level design taken to the extreme). This kind of thing basically just tells me that the developers ran out of ideas really quickly, if they had them in the first place. Cool-looking world, but kind of a boring world to simply BE IN. (Compare to Psychonauts, where you don't even have to be completing a level to just enjoy BEING IN the world).

And while I'm specifically picking on the Jak franchise... their attempts to incorporate Grand Theft Auto style mechanics into Jak 2 was 1) obviously a borrowed idea, so that loses points, and 2) it was poorly executed, especially in comparison to GTA (others may disagree)

Not that I find GTA to be spectacular. I actually think those games are TREMENDOUSLY overrated, but I try not to say so, since it tends to arouse great passion in people. The car-theft mechanic is definitely great though, and Jak II definitely took the same mechanic and made it terrible.

Digressing... digressing....

Games or mini-games where outcomes rely on luck and chance. (When it comes to Mario Party, I am in steadfast agreement with Gabe of PA)

Stories and characters that are by Level 5. Ugh...

When the control scheme is strange in such a way that it's easy for you to accidentally execute the wrong move, especially when you're under pressure. A game like Hitman comes to mind, where there can be multiple actions assigned to the same button. You could have a cluster of items all piled on top of each other on the ground, for example, but the pick-up action for each of them is set to one button. You just have to pick things up until you get the right one. What if the police mans are walking by and you're trying to pick up a briefcase but then you accidentally pick up a suit, which makes you change in front of them, which makes them shoot you and call for backup, which makes you have to reload from your last save point in frustration because you wanted the briefacase, dammit, the briefcase!

Boring or annoying soundtracks. (The complete opposite of what Brutal Legend will have, for example).

"No ability to skip over cinematics and cutscenes, especially when they are very frequent." I think it would be better if there was something you could check on the options menu that will allow you to either skip the cutscenes with a click, or just disable them altogether. Because, personally, it annoys the heck out of me when games let you skip cutscenes. Cutscenes are usually my favorite part of the game, and so it really ticks me off when I accidentally hit a button (which I do incredibly often) and end up skipping the cutscene. So if I could disable that option, but other people who don't like the cutscenes could simply enable it, I think that would be perfect. [:

Time limit things drive me crazy, too! I mean, if you stick a few of them in there, that's one thing. 1 or 2, fine- It's an extra challenge. But if there are DOZENS of them, it drives me up the wall. I also hate it when they make things ridiculously hard for no real reason, just to make you have to work really hard on it. Jak II did this a lot. Now, I'm a big fan of the Jak games (But that the artist side of me kicking in- I mostly just like the characters.), but on Jak II (The only game I've played through, currently) they just add these insane parts that I have to repeat 1,000 times before I finally beat them.

Another example- Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots. I rented this game while at my cousin's house yesterday, myself and my family were playing it, and there were all these parts that required ridiculous amounts of complex jumping, absolute PERFECT timing, exact accuracy, and a heaping helping of LUCK just to get through. This is supposed to be a game for kids, so they should make it a bit easier and less frustrating!

Of course, after I beat the hard parts/levels, I could go back again and easily beat them after having to do it hundreds of times. It's really annoying, though.

I want to be able to enjoy the game, to have a challenge, and I like games that take me several days- even weeks- to complete. When the whole game should only take about 1 or 2 hours of playtime, but it ends up taking 20 hours because of the repetitive obstacles that you die on many times before finally beating, then something is very wrong.

(I have a huge list of complaints on this game, but it's a game based off TV shows, so it's to be expected. Movie, show, and book-based video games are almost always horrible.)

Games with bad presentation,bland level designs and games with brown color palettes.

We need more Psychonauts/Killer7-esQe games.

Another example- Nicktoons: Attack of the Toybots. I rented this game while at my cousin's house yesterday, myself and my family were playing it, and there were all these parts that required ridiculous amounts of complex jumping, absolute PERFECT timing, exact accuracy, and a heaping helping of LUCK just to get through. This is supposed to be a game for kids, so they should make it a bit easier and less frustrating!

Oh Good! I'm NOT just an awful gamer then! I just rented that game today and have been playing it pretty much non-stop, but as you said it is REALLY frustrating!

I just unlocked GIR, which I'm pretty excited about =3 Although I wish GIR and Zim switched places in which version you can get them in (I'm playing the PS2 version it has GIR playable but the DS version has Zim) I kinda want to have some really weird Meat Circus deja-vu...

Also I love Nick for letting me play as the evil plant version of Sam from Danny Phantom. If only her voice changed with her costume :\

Oh Good! I'm NOT just an awful gamer then! I just rented that game today and have been playing it pretty much non-stop, but as you said it is REALLY frustrating!

I just unlocked GIR, which I'm pretty excited about =3 Although I wish GIR and Zim switched places in which version you can get them in (I'm playing the PS2 version it has GIR playable but the DS version has Zim) I kinda want to have some really weird Meat Circus deja-vu...

Also I love Nick for letting me play as the evil plant version of Sam from Danny Phantom. If only her voice changed with her costume :\

xD Sweet! No, I don't think you're a bad gamer, I think the game itself is just ridiculous.

WOO! I love playing as GIR! I wish his voice was a bit better, though- Even though he has the normal voice actor, GIR still doesn't sound quite like himself. Anywho, the Zim/GIR thing was something I was really miffed about, too! I really wanted to play as Zim, but it's only on the DS version! I wish there was some place to rent DS games- I want to see Zim! And I want to see if/how much he talks on it. Richard Horvitz FTW, man. <3

I loved being able to play most of those characters. I just wish you could be Daggett/Norbert, Aang (Or Momo, ahaha), etc. That would've been pretty awesome. o:

Even though I didn't like the game itself, playing it has inspired me a bit. Now I really want to go watch all these older Nick shows. I've actually never seen much of Ren and Stimpy, but playing Stimpy on the game made me love him. xD

We're getting off topic! =P I have the worst time with that, ha ha!

"No ability to skip over cinematics and cutscenes, especially when they are very frequent." I think it would be better if there was something you could check on the options menu that will allow you to either skip the cutscenes with a click, or just disable them altogether. Because, personally, it annoys the heck out of me when games let you skip cutscenes. Cutscenes are usually my favorite part of the game, and so it really ticks me off when I accidentally hit a button (which I do incredibly often) and end up skipping the cutscene. So if I could disable that option, but other people who don't like the cutscenes could simply enable it, I think that would be perfect. [:

I like the system used in games like KH2, where the only way to skip the cutscene is to press start to pause it and then to press another button to confirm the cancellation. There are others games that use that version, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Time limit things drive me crazy, too! I mean, if you stick a few of them in there, that's one thing. 1 or 2, fine- It's an extra challenge. But if there are DOZENS of them, it drives me up the wall.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Timed missions, checkpoint-touching missions, doo-dad collectings missions*, etc are just annoying to me. The Jak franchise takes this crap to a whole new level. I don't exactly hate the games, and I agree with you about the art, but christ....

Basically the same reasons I'm not a fan of the GTA franchise (plus the fact that the control scheme for the games makes me feel like I'm trying to use the controller with boxing gloves on---most retarded control scheme ever).

(*When I say doo-dad collecting missions, I mean only when there are specific missions where you have to go and collect X number of doo-dads and the mission has a pass/fail sort of format, especially if you're collecting doo-dads on a timer. This is different than just having collectibles. Psychonauts has all kinds of collectibles, but that's different because A) all the collectibles actually DO something, B) the collectibles can be picked up at your own leisure. In games like Jak, the doo-dads don't even appear until you accept the mission. If you fail, you have to start over with no doo-dads collected, and the doo-dads don't even DO anything other than helping you pass/fail the mini-mission you're on. Once you pass, you'll never see them again. GTA does the same sort of thing, only it's usually killing thugs instead of collecting doo-dads, or something similar.)

I also hate it when they make things ridiculously hard for no real reason, just to make you have to work really hard on it. Jak II did this a lot. Now, I'm a big fan of the Jak games (But that the artist side of me kicking in- I mostly just like the characters.), but on Jak II (The only game I've played through, currently) they just add these insane parts that I have to repeat 1,000 times before I finally beat them.

I completely agree with you. I can remember one specific mission in Jak 2 where you had to race from one end of the city to the other using their crappy hover cars, but it's nearly impossible because it makes you fly your car through really narrow corridors with sharp, right-angle corners that are congested with people and traffic and guards that want to shoot you. Not to mention that the city is large and you'll get lost easy (aided by the fact that the city lacks personality so all the streets look the same). Your car only makes really wide turns though, and it drifts like hell, so you end up smashing into so many walls, obstacles, and other cars that you just stop caring and plow through everything indiscriminately.

Completing that mission was like tying a blindfold around my eyes and then riding my bike really fast into the woods, hoping that by some weird stroke of luck I'd come out on the other side not dead. I must have played that mission at least 50 times. I ended up resorting to a strategy where I'd fly a short distance, go to the pause menu, open up the super large map, check my location and the next turn-off, unpause, then fly another short distance, pause again, etc etc. It was pretty lame.

*shakes fist at Naughty Dog*

The Jak franchise also has a thing where they like to set traps for you, but they give you absolutely no clue that there is a trap. You just have to learn by trial and error.

"Surprise! That platform crumbles and falls out from beneath you, killing you instantly! You had no way of knowing, but next time you'll just have to be sure to avoid that one!"

You can compare this to a game like Devil May Cry, though. DMC is a REALLY HARD game, but it still manages to be fun.

The difference is that when I play DMC, it feels like a challenge. The developers are playing WITH me.

When I play Jak, it feels like I'm having a trick played on me. Like the developers' idea of making a game more challenging is to poke me in the face with a stick or slap the controller out of my hands. It's not FUN challenging; it's ANNOYING challenging.

This is an extremely important difference.

Haven't played the nicktoons game. =\

Yeah, having an option like that is useful, too. [: Actually, I kind of prefer that method, because then I can pause the cutscene if I have to go do something, etc. instead of having to miss it. :/

I think I remember that race! Augh, it's pretty horrible. x.x I had a hard time with the really-difficult racing levels (if they started me off with a bulky craft, I'd just leave it behind and go steal someone else's small, maneuverable zoomer, haha!).. There was also the level on Jak II where there are SWARMS of Guards coming after you. THOUSANDS of them, that keep pouring out of these huge hover-bus things. You have to make your way from one end of the docks to the other, making sure not to fall into the water, while killing all the guards and not getting YOURSELF killed in the process. It took me at least 50 tries before I finally gave up. I didn't play the game for a few months, then after that break I came back and beat it after another 25 tries or so.

Then there's the level where you have to run through that one fortress, and as soon as you turn the corner there are half a dozen elite guards and stuff, you have to disable these shields without getting shot by cannons, then you've got to run across this gated floor that has guards shooting up at you.. Insane-hard obstacle after insane-hard obstacle. That one probably took me 50 tries or more- And I also ended up giving up and taking another long break from the game.

I hated all the insanely hard parts like that, and of course the little surprises, but it's a very long game (not considering the parts that are so hard they take a long time) so I enjoyed it. I don't like when I can beat a game after a day. Psychonauts is good because it usually takes me at least 2 days, and it's not frustrating at all! (Aside from fighting your nightmareish-dad. Eugh. Only part I died on a lot in the whole game..)

But Jak takes you 3 days to a week. More, if you die a lot on the hard parts. xD If there weren't all the frustrating parts, I'd like to play it over and over.

But, because of them, I can't. So I play PS over again, instead! I never get tired of it. <3

One little thing that bugs me....Well, puzzles that are there just for the sake of being puzzles. There's no background to them--they're just there to serve as a waste of time between one cut scene and the next. For example, the Devil May Cry 4 torture chamber puzzle. Also, the entirety of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Fortunately, that wasn't a problem in Psychonauts. (Well, minus the arrowhead mining, but that was amusing in itself. You got to overhear all the 'hidden' conversations between the campers.) And I doubt it'll be a problem in Brutal Legend.

Sign in to follow this