Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tn

Playing Grim Fandango

The Project Update #8 text mentions that is its hard to get Grim Fandango running. Actually, it is not! Just like ScummVM for the older games there is ResidualVM (http://www.residualvm.org/) that will run Grim Fandango nicely on modern machines (including Linux etc.). In fact I just re-played Grim Fandango last year using ResidualVM, it worked like a charm.

Yup! Just got it running on my Mac as well using ResidualVM a month or so ago. The binaries are a bit hard to find when navigating the site, but it works perfect as far as I can tell.

Loved this game when it came out. to bad i lost my old disc for it when i moved. You guys at DF need to get it up on GOG or Steam so i can buy a new copy!

Loved this game when it came out. to bad i lost my old disc for it when i moved. You guys at DF need to get it up on GOG or Steam so i can buy a new copy!

You'd have to ask LucasArts to rerelease Grim Fandango, since they own the rights, and hope that they step away from their Star Wars titles just long enough to update Grim to run on modern systems and release it on some digital distribution platform.

I started replaying a few weeks ago (before I was interrupted by the need to repair\upgrade my pc) and I was loving it more than I ever have. The writing and voice acting are outstanding. Thanks for the reminder to jump back into it.

Well the compatibility charts on ResidualVM show the Grim Fandango driver completion status being at 70% atm., making the "Game completable with a few minor glitches".

http://www.residualvm.org/compatibility/

Well as for myself I couldn´t care less because although I own two copys of the game I never actually played it. Sorry, but I just hate those isometric pseudo 3D controls (brrrrrr...). Same of course with EfMI.

But if I ever decided to actually give those clumsy game controls a second chance, being a niggling hardcore oldschool gamer and collector, I would prefer firing up my good old Win98 400 Mhz PC to have a 100% faithful to the original game experience.

And by the way:

Has anybody tried the method recommended just in our todays Kickstarter Update 8:

"How to Play Grim Fandango on Your Windows 7 PC"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239339/how_to_play_grim_fandango_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

or using DosBox (at least there would be no problems with puzzle timings etc.)?

It actually was republished relatively recently by one of the budget game publishers. You can probably find a copy on ebay for not insane prices.

Well as for myself I couldn´t care less because although I own two copys of the game I never actually played it. Sorry, but I just hate those isometric pseudo 3D controls (brrrrrr...). Same of course with EfMI.[/i]

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239339/how_to_play_grim_fandango_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

Pity, you've missed a masterpiece.

or using DosBox (at least there would be no problems with puzzle timings etc.)?

Grim Fandango is Windows only.

Believe me, I am well aware of that! It´s Tim Schafer´s child so it cannnot be a bad game. But although the content itself might be brilliant, I just couldn´t cope with those controls at all back in the days. This ruined it for me (and not for me alone, as it seems).

So I considered watching a good Longplay on the internet but of course this would terribly spoil the game for me so in the end I never did, because there might come a day when all of a sudden deep in the night I wake with a start and dash to dust the game box...

Huh I didn't know about ResidualVM, thanks for the tip! :)

It's been around for quite a while, though it used to be called just "Residual". I think one reason for the name change was that the residualvm.org domain was available, while residual.org wasn't, and I guess the name fits since it started out as a sister project to ScummVM and shares a fair amount of infrastructure with it. It was pretty much stalled for several years because of a lack of developers, but it has picked up a lot of momentum in the past year.

I'm not sure what the current status is; other than a few very minor patches, I'm not involved with the project myself. What little I've tried seems to work well, despite some warning messages, but judging by their GitHub project page there are still a few unresolved issues blocking a stable release.

Believe me, I am well aware of that! It´s Tim Schafer´s child so it cannnot be a bad game. But although the content itself might be brilliant, I just couldn´t cope with those controls at all back in the days. This ruined it for me (and not for me alone, as it seems).

So I considered watching a good Longplay on the internet but of course this would terribly spoil the game for me so in the end I never did, because there might come a day when all of a sudden deep in the night I wake with a start and dash to dust the game box...

The control scheme is unarguably awful but you could pass over it, 14 years ago! ;-)

The control scheme is unarguably awful but you could pass over it, 14 years ago! ;-)

Well, maybe yes. But then again... no.

14 Years ago it was a matter of principle. :blank:

[del][/del]

But seen in positive terms, I still have one great adventure to play! :cheese:

Well, maybe yes. But then again... no.

14 Years ago it was a matter of principle. :blank:

[del][/del]

But seen in positive terms, I still have one great adventure to play! :cheese:

Damn principles!!

I reckon I'm about halfway through Year Four; I've been playing through it on and off since the Kickstarter drive began.

It's aged surprisingly well; the music, script and acting are still top-notch, and it doesn't look as old, graphically, as I'd expected, but man, those controls... So bad. It's also a much shorter game than I remembered.

It would be great to see the game updated and re-released with updated art and controls, but I'm not holding my breath - and honestly, the version I already have is good enough for me.

I have absolutely no issue with the controls. They are totally intuitive. T for talk (or Enter), I for inventory (plus the F keys if you are that organized... but F1 for the scythe is always handy), P for pick up, U for use etc. Using arrow keys is no different than controlling old console games.

I've always used the alternate installer with no issues.

Let me make a short summary of the different methods and their advantages and disadvantages.

ResidualVM:

It works on Windows, Linux and OSX. Hardware acceleration works. This means better colors, anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

It still crashes a lot though.

Launcher:

From my experience it's completely bug free. Instead of the linked launcher I would recommend using the setup by the same author:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/grim-fandango-setup

It installs all files to disk, which means the game will run without discs. It also installs the latest version of the launcher. Unlike the original setup, this setup also runs on 64bit systems.

After installation run the official 1.01 update in Windows 98 compatibility mode. The launcher itself should also be run in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

LucasArts Classics:

Apparently there was a rerelease in 2008. This version comes on one DVD and supposedly runs on modern versions of Windows. I could not test this version, yet.

I also only found it on German Amazon for trice the price it used to be:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NVLHEE/ref=pe_30111_29477321_pe_vfe_dt1

Strangely British and American Amazon use the cover of this version for the normal version, but they only have used copies anyway.

For Germans:

The first disc has an additional copy protection in the German version. Every .lab file goes until the end of the disc, which produces a lot of junk data.

For ResidualVM used this program to copy the files:

https://sites.google.com/site/wunderbareweltdesschwachsinns/muh/labcopy_20110911.zip

It will cut off the junk data.

For the setup/launcher use a real disc. Deamon Tools will not work. It also takes a lot of time to finish the setup. That's normal.

ResidualVM is by far the best and easiest way to play the game at this point. There's almost no major issues left (maybe a few graphic glitches), and it actually fixes a few long standing bugs in the game.

Huh I didn't know about ResidualVM, thanks for the tip! :)

dito, i was yearning for this!

I would LOVE GF on Steam!!! Good to know about ResidualVM I have a mac now and my original discs won't run without me running XP which I don't really want to do.

I want to play GF on OS X. I have the discs. Could somebody explain this to me? Go ahead and make fun of me but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what to download since it says dailies are for more experienced users etc. The there's a patch which I'm thinking is the original patch for the old published GF version. So wth is ResidualVM for download? This website has me feeling like an idiot. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out. (Already tried googling for help etc.)

I want to play GF on OS X. I have the discs. Could somebody explain this to me?

I do not have a Mac (used ResidualVM under Linux), so I cannot try it out, but the following should work:

1. Download ResidualVM

http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/residualvm-macosx-intel.dmg

2. Install it shomehwere

(I have no idea how this works on a Mac, I think you simply open the dmsg file?)

3. Copy the Grim Fandango CDs on disk

in in principle you can simply copy all files into one directory. If your CD is copy-protected you might have to use some tools

http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=114

4. Drop the patch into the same directory (no need to install it)

http://demos.residualvm.org/patches/gfupd101.exe

5. Run ResidualVM, point it to the directory you picked, enjoy the game.

I hope this works for you, I did this successfully under Linux a few month ago.

I hope this works for you, I did this successfully under Linux a few month ago.

Thanks, trying it now. Really appreciate your help!

So I cannot get ResidualVM to start at all, tried troubleshooting it through Terminal...no success.

Now I have it but naturally the game is giving me issues lol.

So I cannot get ResidualVM to start at all, tried troubleshooting it through Terminal...no success.

I am sorry, I cannot help you there. Someone with OS X will have to try. If you are adventurous you can try building from source, which is not too hard. But I would only recommend this if you have at least some basic experience with compiling.

Sign in to follow this