Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tn

Playing Grim Fandango

I've fixed RVM, but there is no grim.tab file, when I try to load the game it says it cannot find a game in the specified folder. I've copied all the lab files over....hrm

I've fixed RVM, but there is no grim.tab file, when I try to load the game it says it cannot find a game in the specified folder. I've copied all the lab files over....hrm

[del]Then download the archive with the extracted patch files I posted earlier. It contains the file.[/del]

The GRIM.TAB is on the first disc and needs to be copied, too. I didn't notice it was a .tab and not a .lab file, that's why I didn't mention it.

You do need the GRIM.TAB file, though maybe not if you've got the update in the directory?

Here are the files in my Grim Fandango directory for use in Residual:

CREDITS.LAB

DATA000.LAB

DATA001.LAB

DATA002.LAB

DATA003.LAB

DATA004.LAB

gfupd101.exe 

GRIM.TAB

MOVIE00.LAB

MOVIE01.LAB

MOVIE02.LAB

MOVIE03.LAB

MOVIE04.LAB

VOX0000.LAB

VOX0001.LAB

VOX0002.LAB

VOX0003.LAB

VOX0004.LAB

YEAR0MUS.LAB

YEAR1MUS.LAB

YEAR2MUS.LAB

YEAR3MUS.LAB

YEAR4MUS.LAB

For the patch file (gfupd101.exe) you don't need to isntall it. Just have the file in the directory. Get it here.)

If you have all of those copied from the CDs, it will run.

I don't know about the binaries available for other platforms but I compiled from git sources on Linux and only encountered two bugs (the game crashed once [good thing I was saving often] and some text from a conversation got stuck in the game [even after exiting/restoring] but went away after moving screens I think). Terrible controls but manageable, and certainly a fantastic game. I would consider ResidualVM a perfectly reasonable solution for playing GF on non-Windows systems.

The control scheme is unarguably awful but you could pass over it, 14 years ago! ;-)

I've said this before on other threads, but the control scheme worked pretty smoothly... well for me, at least. Of course, I'd never played a P&C adventure before playing this game, so as a kid I felt that the controls made perfect sense and were integrated quite well. Actually, I felt extreme frustration when trying to play other games like Full Throttle, Broken Sword, and the two Monkey Island SEs (had no problems with the originals) since I felt that the whole scrolling through verbs deal was extremely clunky when you could simply press the corresponding verb key on the keyboard in Escape, GF, and Curse (yes, you can do this in Curse. I didn't even know there was a verb coin until last year).

As for WASD... I don't even know why that is such a huge deal. A huge number of games use WASD to navigate, so it's not exactly an extraordinary thing to appear in an adventure game. It's actually easier to use than P&C, and it allows for running with the shift/Capslock key. don't know about everyone else, but I find infinitely preferable to clicking where you want to go and then waiting as your character slowly meanders over to that side of the screen.

Yeah ResidualVM is AWESOME! I think I played GF through twice this year alone. I'm only having one problem playing on my mac, maybe someone can help me with here.

Checking the fullscreen mode in Residual just gives me a black screen, sound is working though. Altering the preferences file directly doesn't help on the latest version of residual.

In a previous release I WAS able to turn on fullscreen only by altering the preferences file wich worked fine.

Anyone else having this problem on mac with the latest Residual version?

Of course, I'd never played a P&C adventure before playing this game,

And it seems you also didn´t play too many of them ever since. :lol:

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

so as a kid I felt that the controls made perfect sense and were integrated quite well.

Well, obviously you didn´t know better, so it´s not your fault. ;)

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

Actually, I felt extreme frustration when trying to play other games like Full Throttle, Broken Sword, and the two Monkey Island SEs (had no problems with the originals) since I felt that the whole scrolling through verbs deal was extremely clunky when you could simply press the corresponding verb key on the keyboard in Escape, GF, and Curse

"Modern" adventure games (after 1994?) don´t use verb tables anymore at all (at least the good ones). Many of them have keyboard shortcuts implemented. But when I play p & c adventures, to be honest, I don´t want to use the keyboard AT ALL. Just leaning back in my chair, putting my feet up and only using the mouse to play the game from start to end is my little piece of gaming heaven. :)

Before you ask: Yes, I don´t like Telltales´ controls either.

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

(yes, you can do this in Curse. I didn't even know there was a verb coin until last year).

See my first two statements in this post. And, as always: RTFM !!! You had a manual, did you...? :-/ :lol:

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

As for WASD... I don't even know why that is such a huge deal. A huge number of games use WASD to navigate,

YES, for real 3D environments used in Third Person or Ego RPGs / Shooters that is! As far as I remember, Grim Fandango uses a stationary camera instead, wich so often makes you end up running against stuff and things. Turning around corners often turns a "walk forward" command into "right" or "left" all of a sudden. I always hated that kind of control scheme (Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil etc.). In my humble opinion they (the marketing department) just wanted to jump on the "oh so fancy 3D stuff" bandwagon, when implementing this into adventures. To me this is a perfect example why implementing new technologies just for technologie´s sake not always results in improved gameplay.

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

so it's not exactly an extraordinary thing to appear in an adventure game.

Well, to me (and I think not for me alone) it surely was and still is.

[del][/del][del][/del]

[del][/del]

It's actually easier to use than P&C, and it allows for running with the shift/Capslock key. don't know about everyone else, but I find infinitely preferable to clicking where you want to go and then waiting as your character slowly meanders over to that side of the screen.

See my first point in the post again. And... are you aware, the new DFA will be oldschool point & click...?

Almost all (yes, i KNOW there may be exceptions and I don´t like them) point & click adventures support the mouse doubleclick function. Doubleclicking any point on the scren makes your character run there. And even better: Let´s say your character is standing at the very left of the screen and you want to exit to the far right: Just simply doublecklick on the east exit and you´re in the next screen in no time!

What could possibly be easier and more intuitive?

And it seems you also didn´t play too many of them ever since. :lol:

I've played quite a large number of adventure games, actually. The entire Lucas Arts library, Broken Sword, and all of the King's Quests that I could get to work on my computer (the rest I watched playthroughs of, as well as Space Quest, Black Cauldron, Beneath a Steel Sky, and Whispered World). I've also played a good number of the Telltale games, though not any of the recent ones. Simply because I was late to the genre or prefer an uncool method of control does not mean I'm ignorant of classic games.

Well, obviously you didn´t know better, so it´s not your fault. ;)

Please don't patronize me. It really seems like an excuse rather than an argument for your position. By the way, by "kid" I mean younger than I am currently. Which at the time of playing Grim Fandango was... about sixteen. I was thirteen when I got Escape. Took me awhile to get my hands on a copy.

"Modern" adventure games (after 1994?) don´t use verb tables anymore at all (at least the good ones). Many of them have keyboard shortcuts implemented. But when I play p & c adventures, to be honest, I don´t want to use the keyboard AT ALL. Just leaning back in my chair, putting my feet up and only using the mouse to play the game from start to end is my little piece of gaming heaven. :)

Before you ask: Yes, I don´t like Telltales´ controls either.

I actually have no problem with verb tables. If you refer to my original post, I said that I have a serious problem with the weird right-click-scrolly verb option seen in Full Throttle, Curse, Broken Sword, and the Monkey Island Special editions. And while I know in Curse there's keyboard shortcuts, I don't really remember there being those in the other games I mentioned.

See my first two statements in this post. And, as always: RTFM !!! You had a manual, did you...? :-/ :lol:

Manual? What's that?

Nope. I had no manuals for any of my games since they were generally used or borrowed. Having said that, a well-designed intuitive system shouldn't require a manual. I figured out all the controls for Escape extremely quickly (and GF was pretty much identical so that was instantaneous). I accidentally figured where out the verbs for Full Throttle when I tried to right click to go somewhere and an icon flashed in my face.

YES, for real 3D environments used in Third Person or Ego RPGs / Shooters that is! As far as I remember, Grim Fandango uses a stationary camera instead, wich so often makes you end up running against stuff and things. Turning around corners often turns a "walk forward" command into "right" or "left" all of a sudden. I always hated that kind of control scheme (Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil etc.). In my humble opinion they (the marketing department) just wanted to jump on the "oh so fancy 3D stuff" bandwagon, when implementing this into adventures. To me this is a perfect example why implementing new technologies just for technologie´s sake not always results in improved gameplay.

Hm. I almost forgot about that, actually. Which I guess shows how much I paid attention to it while I was playing the game. The thing I feel about keyboard controls is that, providing you don't have to look at the keyboard, they become very much part of playing the game. I seem to remember becoming accustomed to Grim Fandango's weird WASD version pretty fast, though. I suppose this is probably because the only third person 3D game I'd played prior was Escape, so there wasn't much to mess me up at this point.

And... are you aware, the new DFA will be oldschool point & click...?

Again, please don't patronize me. I am perfectly aware that DFA is going to be oldschool. I never said that I hated old school games or their control systems. I only said that I happen to prefer direct control when I am directing a single character adventure game and I find the stupid very scrolly thing clunky and frustrating to use (especially during timed puzzles).

Almost all (yes, i KNOW there may be exceptions and I don´t like them) point & click adventures support the mouse doubleclick function. Doubleclicking any point on the scren makes your character run there. And even better: Let´s say your character is standing at the very left of the screen and you want to exit to the far right: Just simply doublecklick on the east exit and you´re in the next screen in no time!

I've only really experienced this in Telltale games. And for me the difference is the fact that actively controlling a characters movement seems faster because you, as the gamer, are actively participating in the game to move the character, rather than watching an animation. It's a minor thing, really. Either way, it doesn't completely make or break the game for me, but I prefer having that measure of control so that I can feel more involved with the game, rather than some distant god, dictating the fates of my unfortunate victims. I save that for RTSs...

What could possibly be easier and more intuitive?

I could be really trite here and answer "WASD" but I won't.

The simple act of using a keyboard wasn't the problem with GF, it was the (terrible) auto-correcting of movement (even if against a corner it would auto-correct Manny to face into the corner if you're still pressing forward, so instead you had to hold right/left and wait for him to completely rotate around and THEN walk forward instead of just holding forward+left/right to move...and you think watching an animation wastes time!?) and the difficulty in getting Manny to operate on the object you want him to if multiple objects are close together (especially if one or more of those objects are moving). You again have to play with rotation until his head glances the way you want it to. Also, having to scroll one by one through the inventory took waaaay too long compared to seeing it all at once and selecting the desired item. Mouse interaction would have probably made more sense in a 2.5D game (though I agree a keyboard works well in real 3D environments with good camera following).

Again, fantastic game -- terrible interface.

Alcoremortis, obviously your English is much better than mine, but your discussion partner using simple rethorics doesn´t always imply his intention of beeing patronizing, so in my humble opinion there´s no need to keep dwelling on that subject.

As for the other points: I think all arguments have been sufficiently stated. Tastes are and always will be different, that´t the only thing that´s for sure.

Alcoremortis, obviously your English is much better than mine, but your discussion partner using simple rethorics doesn´t always imply his intention of beeing patronizing, so in my humble opinion there´s no need to keep dwelling on that subject.

As for the other points: I think all arguments have been sufficiently stated. Tastes are and always will be different, that´t the only thing that´s for sure.

I'm sorry, but the insinuation that only a child who knows no better could like a certain control scheme is very difficult to see as anything other than patronizing. However, I shall leave it at this and offer the handshake of peace to agree to disagree instead.

pthandshake20of20man20w.jpg

However, I shall leave it at this and offer the handshake of peace to agree to disagree instead.

And I gladly accept! :D

I ordered the original Grim Fandango CD from a auction site for 10 Euro's :D Can't wait to get it in the mail and use the guide in the Kickstarter update to get it running!

I replayed Grim a couple of months ago through ResidualVM, and while I didn't encounter anything game breaking, there was a ton of minor bugs and a few nasty ones. It's mostly lack of collision, meaning the player can often access areas that was blocked off in the original. Those issues are mostly harmless, but trying to use elevators can be quite frustrating because of them. It also lets you temporarily bypass a puzzle in the petrified forest, which means you could get stuck later on if you're a dumbass like me and forget to go back. Also, the forklift puzzle was almost impossible to do right, and I don't remember having that much trouble with it back in the day.

Well as for myself I couldn´t care less because although I own two copys of the game I never actually played it. Sorry, but I just hate those isometric pseudo 3D controls (brrrrrr...). Same of course with EfMI.

Same here...

I want to introduce my girlfriend to adventure games... and Grim Fandango was one of the games she could appeal and it's a master piece. But she's not a gamer... WASD control is something completely foreign to her... but she's used to point and click, like all the casual market :P I dont think she's going to have the patience to deal with being up-right seated playing the game with the keyboard.

In my case, I played GF at the time, loved the story, the characters, mood, everything... but hated the controls. For me, playing adventure games is a relaxing thing... you play laying on your chair, with something to eat/drink, or whatever... They are games for thinking and evade yourself, they're more like a good book than a movie. And WASD controls are more appropriated for action games, when you go everywhere with "always run" on, fire in the hole! etcetc, and your reflex are key. The same with EMI, and Telltales games...

Just about them, I enjoyed their Sam & Max seasons until they changed with the new scheme control. And although they added a "mouse tank control" (in Tales), you had to keep pressed the 1st mouse button to drive around... a completely antiergonomic solution. Lots of people with movement dificulties cant keep pressed any button, and that's from user interface subjects at computer science! I remember from telltales forum someone who argued that adventure games was the only genre she could play because the slow pacing and her movement problems... Anyway... I played all their games and are... hmm ok (technically better than puzzle/story)

Sooo... I hope ResidualVM introduce someday a point&click; overlay into Grim Fandango. Developer mode seem to have a mouse enabler flag, and go to mouse position key (av pag I think)... so maybe something could be arranged. But for now I am pleased to be able to play it again in Mac, now that I dont use so much the windows partition anymore :)

Nice thing about Residual is that it finally fixes the bug that stopped you from talking to Domino in Year Three. (That'd be the bug that Tim didn't know about until the Residual guys fixed it.)

Wasn't it possible to choose from two different control schemes in GF?

Camera-relative and Manny-relative?

Wasn't it possible to choose from two different control schemes in GF?

Camera-relative and Manny-relative?

Camera-relative can be a mess because of camera angle changes between rooms. It can sometimes get the player stuck in a loop of sorts trying to go from room to room.

I remember the days of yore when games came on double-density 5.25" floppies, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and there were passionate debates about whether adventure games should be text-only, or have graphics. I came down on the text-only side. After all, with only 720 KB to futz with, why waste space on cruddy graphics? That's purism, Clyde. But despite that techno-luddism, text adventures were replaced by graphics, and now we've got 3D with full color (not just green or amber). I learned my lesson. Pining for the 'good old days' of 2d pointing and clicking is like railing against horseless carriages or women voting. There's just no percentage in it.

Don't like 3D P&C games... I won't give a try :(

Well, it's not P&C. You are also doing yourself a grave disservice by not trying it.

Well as for myself I couldn´t care less because although I own two copys of the game I never actually played it. Sorry, but I just hate those isometric pseudo 3D controls (brrrrrr...).

Don't like 3D P&C games... I won't give a try :(

I don't understand this approach... I might not want to try a game with imperfect controls or not-my-favourite-type graphics if there's a risk I will get nothing in return for my sacrifice. But in case of GF you are almost sure you will not be disappointed, everyone around is telling you that.

It's just a question of overcoming your own habits or, in worst case, covering your nose...

For me Grim Fandango was such a great experience that I would be happy to play it even if controlling the game would mean closing an electric circuit with my own tongue.

I have a solution for you: Just get your daughter or a younger cousin, put him/her in front of the computer and give the orders where to go and what to click. I PROMISE you'll enjoy it.

And by the way:

Has anybody tried the method recommended just in our todays Kickstarter Update 8:

"How to Play Grim Fandango on Your Windows 7 PC"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239339/how_to_play_grim_fandango_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

or using DosBox (at least there would be no problems with puzzle timings etc.)?

Yes, it totally doesn't work properly. You can only use software 3D rendering and the sound is messed up. ResidualVM works pretty much flawlessly.

Also: No. DosBox only works for DOS games.

Here's a guide to using ResidualVM:

http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/running-grim-fandango-on-modern.html

I don't really like ResidualVM. It's promising, but not perfect at this time. I myself encountered 2 glitches within the first 10 minutes of the game when using it.

I recommend following the instructions on this page if you plan on playing Grim Fandango: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grim_Fandango

Found my GF CDs i'm my Dad's loft today, thanks to this thread I should be able to play!

I don't really like ResidualVM. It's promising, but not perfect at this time. I myself encountered 2 glitches within the first 10 minutes of the game when using it.

I recommend following the instructions on this page if you plan on playing Grim Fandango: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grim_Fandango

Really? That looks like a nightmare with absolutely zero guarantee of working. And it won't let you play with hardware mode, so all the 3D graphics look like this:

attachment.jpg

With ResidualVM not only can you enable 3D acceleration, but you can enable anti-aliasing, too.

What glitches did you encounter?

Residual is still considered alpha by it's devs, so glitches are to be expected. But I just checked the Residual website and they're gearing up for a numbered release. It'll be 0.1 and I'm all a-tingle. No, I'm not; but it's still cool because Residual has been in development for such a long time. They're wanting people to play with it and report bugs, so anyone who's really concerned about Residual's bugginess should report things to Residual's tracker.

As one of the guys that have been working a bit on ResidualVM (although, the major progress the last year is not because of my work) I guess I shouldn't put too much into the debate of ResidualVM vs various solutions to get it installed on Windows, but I'll put out the following:

In the original game, if you speak to Dom at the very start, you will be unable to hear a rather important monologue of his later in the game. This was fixed in ResidualVM.

We do consider Grim quite playable, but there are a few graphical glitches, but all in all Grim has been rather stable. Yes, there are bugs, but the amount that we consider release-breakers are not that many (simple graphical glitches are ok, stuff that makes the game unplayable or impossible to complete... is not).

We'd love help to find the bugs that are in there though, so like was already stated here, if you'd like to help us gear up for our first release, fetch a download of 0.1.0, and start testing ;)

Somaen

Sign in to follow this