Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ozer34

The idle animation

Anyone else care way to much about this? After Gameinformer started checking every idle animations on Replay, I can't help but pay way too much attention to these.

EDIT:

If you don't know what an Idle animation is here are a couple YouTube links of some good ones.

Earthworm Jim

WOW

LINK

Rift

Love them as well! It should not be to much work for DF to add some animations in for that purpose...

They could even go the extra mile and add some context based ones... Like in Larry 6, where if you idled in the shower, the water would spray in between Larry's legs and come out his mouth.

I don't find idle animations to be terribly important. Of course there should be some kind of idle animation just to keep a minimal sense of movement to things while you are sitting there thinking, however it need not be terribly intricate or humorous. Of course if they have extra time I wouldn't complain about a funny idle animation set but for the most part I would prefer they spend their time, money and effort elsewhere.

Only if it is 100% interruptable, and takes a while to trigger. Having to wait for an idle animation to finish before moving (ala Runaway 2) is one of the most annoying ear-flicks an adventure game can have.

Only if it is 100% interruptable, and takes a while to trigger. Having to wait for an idle animation to finish before moving (ala Runaway 2) is one of the most annoying ear-flicks an adventure game can have.

I think I would agree with that.

In addition to some stock ones, I would love to see (a reasonable handful of) "context-based" idle animations. For example, if you're idle in some kind of scary room you could look around nervously, if you're outside on a hill or something at night you could sit down and stare at the stars, etc. I always thought something like that would be a great little touch for curious folks to discover.

Psychonauts has loads of idle animations. Most, if not all levels have their own idle animations associated with them, and there's also different idle animations while Raz is holding different items.

If you're amused by idle animations at all, Psychonauts is a goldmine.

Idle animations can be wonderful...again, if interruptible and take a few seconds to engage. I still say some of the best idle animations were for the platform shoot-em-up Earthworm Jim.

Idle animations make more alive your character... room context/character feelings context idle animation are much better, like with scene lighting changing your character color.

I like them, the one on sonic was always funny, eventually he just lies down :)

I always liked the one in Grim Fandango where Manny just lights up a cigarette and has a quick smoke if you take too long to do something. I would have been concerned about the state of his lungs, what with the rate at which I solve puzzles, but... well...

All for idle animations. Always had a good laugh while watching them. Uninterruptable idle animations is a head-scratcher -- Who's brilliant idea was that?

How on earth does Jim's suit actully swing him around like that when he's not in the suit he's not in control if it rofl xD

How on earth does Jim's suit actully swing him around like that when he's not in the suit he's not in control if it rofl xD

I don't know, but I love to watch it. Hope we can get something that good here.

As long as they're not distracting, I don't really care personally. I'm playing video games for interactivity, and idle animations goes against that principle.

I think idle animations in a P'n'C adventure need to be stressed over say, an FPS, the reason being that in P'n'C's have puzzle solving where you don't move for a while and think about things, they are also a nice chance to fit in an Easter egg, I.E. hidden idle animations that you can only get by walking in and out of a room 10 times in a row.

I definitely enjoy idle animations in games, or any sort of little detail. I believe it's the details that help separate what is a good game from a great game.

idle/timeouts give a lot of life to the games. Is very rewarding when you left your character alone and after a couple of seconds start doing something that looks like for a moment the character is alive, like the characters from a cartoon or cg movies.

Some great idle/timeouts, in addition of what you have already posted:

- Sonic getting upset waiting for your input.

- Mario Falling sleep in Mario64

Always loved the idle animation in Rayman 2 where Rayman starts to play Basketball with his body :D

I've always enjoyed watchin em and in a lucky few occasions been given open ended directions to make a batch of em(i.e. just DON'T do ______ and we're good). Always a fun way to stretch some brain muscle!

Dungeons of Dredmor also has a pretty funny animation of the main character pulling out something that looks pretty much like a Gameboy Advanced and starts playing it. Play a game within a game; INCEPTION. Then there's the whistling when you go idle in Dead Island. I guess what I'm trying to say in a round about way is I love idle animations and lets please have one. It'd also be great if it either interfered with the screen, i.e. Nintendog in Super Smash Bros, or something that would catch the attention of someone who actually was idle and not just sitting there with anticipation to see what it is.

Sign in to follow this