Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

Not a game but this project deserves support: "The Untold History of Japanese Games". It's a book project by this guy who writes for Hardcore Gaming 101 and Retro Gamer Magazine. He wants to go to Japan and interview a bunch of developers to get their first hand story written down. Here's the Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers?ref=home_popular

I also made a youtube video talking about why I think this is an important project:

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, everyone donate to this. Even the smallest amount helps... I'm getting the boxed version.

Why? Well, it's a 21st CENTURY ADVENTURE GAME! which is utilizing hand-made claymation by a fantastic comic book artist who also created Earthworm Jim. This is kind-of a "sequel" to The Neverhood (they couldn't get the rights) - a true cult classic game. They tried to make a movie but that flopped. I'm scared that they won't get enough funds for the tonnes and tonnes of clay which they are going to need.... TO MAKE THE AWESOME. IT WILL BE AWESOME. C'MON, BACK ARMIKROG!!11oneeleven

Woohooh!

Bill Tiller's A Vampyre Story Year One on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876324751/a-vampyre-story-year-one/

Oh crap, no Mac version.

I supposed more interest in that one here.. Any more help would be appreciated ;-)

However it is also Mac and Linux if we get 50k more for the porting.

Well, I don't know. I think a lot of people were bummed out by the fact that it's a prequel rather than a continuation of the story. And I've seen people say they're disappointed that the whole story will take place inside the castle.

I never played the original. I never saw it in stores around here, and by the time I started to go looking actively for it, it was getting hard to come by. At least for a price that wouldn't screw me over in customs. I've been hoping to be able to get it digitally, but that doesn't seem to realistic so long after for a game that never really got that popular.

If a Linux version seem to be in reach by the time the campaign nears the end, I'll back then. Not before. I much prefer when Linux and Mac versions aren't stretch goals, but baked into the original goal. However I do understand that it might not always be possible for smaller projects that are built on a custom engine.

Bill Tiller is a great artist (a.o. The DIG, Monkey Island 3, A Vampyre Story, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island). He's just doesn't seem to be such a great business man and was unlucky several times. A Vampyre Story wasn't perfect, it couldn't be as the budget wasn't sufficient. Still it is one of the best post LucasArts adventures with a certain LucasArts vibe. It is based on a unique story, features lovely background graphics (3d characters in a 2d environments), has interesting characters (Mona is very likable), the story could have been great if they had finished it, the riddles are okayish, good music by Pedro Camacho (some AVS music is on YouTube), Bill Eakan was working on it as well (a.o. Monkey Island 1 & 3, Day of the Tentacle, Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, The DIG, Shannara and AME productions) ...

The Kickstarter trailer is nice but the campaign just isn't thought through very well (tiers, information, preparation, ...) which is a shame because it might not get funded due to this as well, although i'm confident that he would be able to actually deliver a good adventure. I don't care if it's a prequel or a sequel because the only thing which matters to me is if it will be a good adventure or not.

So, if you can ignore the weird stuff, have some faith and dig his style you can consider supporting it. Mac and Linux aren't included due to budget reasons but i wouldn't be surprised if he would fund the ports from sales afterwards, if he can't get the additional funding now.

I don't question his talent as an artist and designer. It's the fact that I have no emotional attachment to this particular IP, because it's so hard to come by that's mostly keeping me from backing. It may well be that he doesn't own the publishing rights for it himself, and that's what's keeping him from releasing it on GOG.com and places like it. That's probably very unfortunate for the chances of success for this Kickstarter though. For that reason and the fact that the story just doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, I'm choosing not to back it, as I'm already spread pretty thin financially across other Kickstarters this month. I just meant that an initial Linux version is something I consider positive enough that it might make me forgive it for its other shortcomings.

I think he wrote that he can't release AVS f.e. on Steam due to technical issue, that's why they also need to update the engine or integrate their stuff into the new version of the engine first. Now who owns the rights for what exactly is best discussed by him and Crimson Cow but he also wrote about that he got in contact with Crimson Cow again and maybe there even will be a successor to AVS, A Bat's Tale, maybe Kickstarter founded as well.

I like the world, his style and i especially liked Mona in AVS, so for me it's a no brainer. Secondly i don't back this many projects and i prefer to see it as a per year investment (mostly it also takes more than a year until something shows up), this way there can be months where a couple of games run in parallel but then there are also months when nothing happens. Somehow i still have the, maybe naive, idea that i also want to play the games i backed, at least to some degree.

Is the problem with Steam integration or that the game doesn't work to well on modern computers? If it's just about Steam integration, I think releasing it through GOG.com or the Humble Bundle store like Incredipede, Gunpoint and others have done would be more than sufficient for people interested in it. I think that creating some more interest in the previous game by making it more accessible would do wonders for the current campaign. I'd love for him to succeed, but I figure if he doesn't he will at least come away with the experience, some constructive feedback and might try again at a later point.

I don't back a lot of projects either. Well, I'm up to about 20 projects, but most of them are adventure games, and only a handful of them are from this year. Maybe it's more than some, but it's not more than I plan on playing. Even with a family I usually manage to squeeze in 5-10 hours on gaming a week, and one of the things that I really like about adventure games is that I can usually complete them within a reasonable time frame.

Thanks. I didn't know that, and I feel like I've searched for digital outlets that carry it a hundred times before. I'll definitely try to play through it by the end of the Kickstarter to see what a prequel might be worth to me in terms of pledged dollars.

Hey, i hope you enjoy it. A number of people were moaning about Mona's voice but i liked it as it underlined her character and gave her a certain degree of vulnerability and naivety.

I'm trying to talk Bill into including the first AVS as part of the rewards. I'm pretty sure he could strike out a deal with Crimson Cow for that.

I have a lot of affection for A Vampyre Story too. Despite a few minor flaws, it is a very endearing adventure game, with beautiful visuals and great characters.

Yep, i suggested it as well as it would be an interesting tier, especially if DRM free, so good luck.

Yeah, that could potentially have a solid impact on the campaign.

By the way, it's pretty strange that the Mac version of AVS on Gamersgate.com is more than twice as expensive than the Windows version.

You know there once was a time when Mac versions came out years later and partly costed even more than when they were newly released for the PC. I suspect the AVS port kept this spirit in mind, most probably utalising Cider tech. I played the Windows version.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It's pretty shameful to charge that much for a Cider wrapper though. It's nice that first Mac and now Linux are finally getting some more love.

I much prefer to have all my digital games on GOG.com, HumbleBundle.com or Steam, but I do have an account on GamersGate.com from buying the Gobliiins bundle and Gobliiins 4 (*shudder*) 4 years ago, so it's not too inconvenient to buy stuff there.

Yep, overall the situation has improved significantly, except, sometimes it also only looks good on paper and the Mac versions aren't tested properly. F.e. i once bought Capsized, got it for the Mac with the latest HIB again but this one has performance issues that it's practically unplayable or when you're reading through the support of the latest HWS:

http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/1165092-telltale-games---known-issues

So it depends, some games run perfectly whilst others might more suggest that they are available whilst they aren't.

Yeah, but often porting a game that hasn't been facilitated for it from the start can be tricky and error prone. I'm hopeful that the situation might approve as it becomes a priority from the initial development. That's what's really promising with stuff like the Unity engine and maybe eventually the Unreal engine (though it doesn't look promising at the moment).

Speaking of porting, Cheeseness did an interesting interview with flibitjibibo a while back. He goes into some of the challenges with porting games, so it might be worth a read.

Thanks, i think you have to differ what kind of game you're porting and what technology you're using but so far i haven't seen a relevant technology yet where you don't need to make platform specific adjustments depending on the level of complexity or features you want to use, also Unity doesn't work this way if you just dig deep enough. There are bugs from the platform, the middleware, hardware specific restrictions and differences, utalising crossy but higher abstraction layers can result into limitations, going deeper can force you implementing different solutions again on your own and so on.

It got a lot easier but it still needs some extra work, sometimes more, sometimes less. Regardless of this i think you should try your best coming up with software which works out of the box and if problems show up offering reasonable support. Some companies are doing a great job here whilst others don't really seem to care.

Sure, but so is the case with different combinations of Windows OSes and video cards. It's a still progress towards making the initial conditions more even between the three PC platforms. I assume that ripping out Direct3D specific parts of a Windows build and replacing it with OpenGL counterparts is a lot more time consuming and error prone. I will admit that I don't know much about that stuff though.

Yeah, and it seems to be mostly the indies that have been pushing this shift in attitude towards other platforms. I love that Mac and Linux seems to be a given when DF release new titles now, even if the games still contain some of the bugs left over from the first Psychonauts port (at least for Linux). It's a good sign that they seem to have taken over tech support on the games themselves though, at least if it means that they are working at building up the expertise in house.

Gobliiins 4 (*shudder*)

Tell me more! Was it that bad?

First of all the graphics are seriously dated and the sound is awful. I wouldn't mind that if it was the only problem though, but the narrative is also extremely weak and it doesn't have any of the charm and humor from the original trilogy (it might be trying, but it misses by a long shot). The main problem though is that the puzzles are extremely tedious. Often you might be doing the right thing but get no kind of feedback suggesting you're on the right track, only to figure out much later that you had to do the exact same convoluted thing multiple times. It's just a long and boring string of guess what the hell the "puzzle designer" was thinking here moments.

I'm pretty sure that the 4/5 stars reviews it's gotten some places must be due to nostalgia from reviewers who were able to ignore the horrible puzzle design because they were using walkthroughs or only played parts of it. I don't mind difficult adventure games, but this game is difficult because of poor design and that's just not cool.

Thanks for your answer. That probably explains why the game went completely under the radar.

There are people who have enjoyed it though, so I don't want to put you completely off it if you're a big fan of the franchise.

I wish I owned a copy of The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble. That's a game I've long regretted not knowing about until it became unavailable through retail.

You can still buy it on Amazon or google for another source.

Bill Tiller has added the $20 tier to A Vampyre Story, which includes the original game if anyone's interested! I hope it gets up, but I don't hold high hopes unfortunately :( Talented man!

You can still buy it on Amazon or google for another source.

I look for it on Amazon and eBay every now and then, but usually it either doesn't ship to Norway or it's so expensive that I would end up getting screwed over on customs fees.

Bill Tiller has added the $20 tier to A Vampyre Story, which includes the original game if anyone's interested! I hope it gets up, but I don't hold high hopes unfortunately :( Talented man!

Sweet. That's me in as well then. I hope it won't take forever to get the Autumn Moon web store up and running after the kickstarter ends.

@Bernie Nips

Another reasonable update, i hope it helps to get the game funded.

Sadly he didn't think of such things before, some people aren't fond of backing because they fear that the production will be as messy which i can understand but you also have to see that he really tries to improve the situation.

Anyway what he needs are backers, maybe about 5k.

Sign in to follow this