Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy who listens to the constructive criticism he gets, both regarding this kickstarter and his previous games. I would love for him to succeed.

Bill Tiller has added the $20 tier to A Vampyre Story, which includes the original game if anyone's interested! I hope it gets up, but I don't hold high hopes unfortunately :( Talented man!

Shame, that Kickstarter doesn't support paypal, I would back Vampyre Story, loved the first episode. Fingers crossed for the sequel.

There are people who have enjoyed it though, so I don't want to put you completely off it if you're a big fan of the franchise.

I wish I owned a copy of The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble. That's a game I've long regretted not knowing about until it became unavailable through retail.

Oh, Woodruff, wonderful game. Completely bizarre but I have very fond memories of this one. One of the hidden gems of the adventure genre.

Unrest

-- an RPG set in ancient India

-- no failstates, just failures; the story continues after characters die

-- combat serves the story

-- more about political and social intrigue and less about fulfilling your destiny

-- DRM-free for PC, Mac & Linux

It got an art update recently. Looks pretty good now. Also, the story snippets are pretty decent stuff.

And meanwhile Chris Roberts crossed the $10.000.000 border. When he announced the project i was pretty sure that the game will be funded but i didn't think he would be abel to collect this much money, wow.

I probably would never have played the original Vampyre Story if the kickstarter hadn't happened. It was $60 in the retail stores here, and then it went out of print. Then the only place I could find it was GFWL, which I'm not a fan of, and they had $30USD as the regional price for me. There was a Vampyre Story website with "Store coming soon" for years, but that never happened.

The kickstarter guys let me know it's on Gamersgate for $10. Super happy with that! :D

I just backed Rehearsals & Returns by Peter Brinson

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1231818830/rehearsals-and-returns

He's one of the guys who made The Cat and the Coup, the documentary game where you play as Mohammad Mosaddegh's cat.

R&R is a game about a bunch of conversations that will never happen. You talk to a bunch of people living or dead using something similar to the dialog wheel.

It's reached it's low funding, $4 will get you the game.

I would have backed a project which enables you to "talk" to people like Einstein, thinking of an up to date version of ELIZA.

Btw. Armikrog is gaining some momentum again. They did a number of nice updates and with the latest addition they also offer a Wii U version (beside of Win, OS X , Linux) if they can cross $950k. I think this helps several sides as the Wii U Unity licence isn't this pricey, they can get Wii U users excited and Nintendo gets a hopefully interesting third party title for their console, so they used their E3 time wisely.

Bill Tiller interview: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24560

And he also talks about The DIG. Hell, i would have worked on The DIG for free, sadly wrong time, wrong place.

That was pretty interesting stuff. I never knew those things about Full Throttle 2 and The Dig.

Here's a more recent one that touches some of those same things:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/lucusarts-vet-turns-to-kickstarter-to-revive-a-vampyre-story/

It's nice that he's doing these interviews. I wish he would have given his Kickstarter campaign a little more attention. It has seemed mostly deserted since the first week of the campaign and that's probably not a good thing when you're trying to generate some buzz around your campaign.

I hope he learns some valuable lessons from this experience. Maybe he would be able to do the prequel as smaller episodic installments and have more success in getting a first chapter funded.

@Starker

Yep those interviews were quite good, especially for The DIG fans.

Just in case you don't know there's s a pretty good resource for The DIG: http://dig.mixnmojo.com/

You can still buy the game on Steam (a LucasArts/Disney Adventure HIB would be nice): http://store.steampowered.com/app/6040/?l=english

As for Bill's Kickstarter project, it's (un)dead already but on the bright side he might have learned a couple of things from it, people were giving him many good advices as well as some critics. We'll see what he'll come up with in the future. Looking at this campaign makes you want to stand in front of him, shaking him and telling him "I'll do the project management, marketing and produce it (and maybe even code that damn thing) and you'll just design and paint and do your artist thing".

Looking at this campaign makes you want to stand in front of him, shaking him and telling him "I'll do the project management, marketing and produce it (and maybe even code that damn thing) and you'll just design and paint and do your artist thing".

Heh, yeah. I know what you mean. He comes off as a bit naive and apathetic when it comes to marketing. If he'd only let a bit of his passion for creating games rub off on his Kickstarter campaign things might have looked a bit different. He seems like such a damn likeable guy in interviews and he should be milking that for what it's worth.

Done but isn't the best way to play these games via ScummVM these days anyway?

Done but isn't the best way to play these games via ScummVM these days anyway?

Well, that's what GOG uses for a number of games and a portion of the money from these games goes to the ScummVM developers.

Sounds good but honestly i bought all these games as originals already and so i have them running via different emulations already and for some games it's more fun having them running on specific platforms as well. But i would buy them again if they would come in a DRM free pack like in a HIB. It would be even more fun if they could put in all the different versions of the games.

Btw. Star Citizen meanwhile turned into the most successful crowdfunding project so far, they'll for sure surpass $11 millions as well.

@flesk

I really hope that they'll be able to fund Year One on their own and later on kickstart AVS2 and/or his SF concept (together with Crimson Cow), plus maybe porting AVS to OS X and Linux whilst there at the engine already. If properly done, this could generate some funding/interest.

Anyway, i'll buy Year One when it comes out for the Mac, the picture he included in his latest update looks just wonderful and makes the failure even more painful and superfluous.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/556612/posts/521064/image-280956-full.jpg

I like the gfx and share the affinity for weird music. The video had its moments but the first one was funnier. Will backers of the first funding round get the game for free? I didn't even know that you can kickstart a successful project twice. For what platform(s) do you intend to release the game? Come on, this is your second round. When do you plan to finish the game? What makes you confident that you don't need a third funding? How big/long will the game approximately be, 10 minutes - 10 million years?

Your tiers kind of exploded. I dislike limited tier levels at the entry level plus a $10/$12 game should also come with some faith that it will result into a (solid) gaming experience instead of goofing around. Dunno for a higher risk project $5-$8 sounds more appropriate to me but i can understand why you're asking for $10/$12. Anyway i wish you good luck.

I like the gfx and share the affinity for weird music. The video had its moments but the first one was funnier. Will backers of the first funding round get the game for free? I didn't even know that you can kickstart a successful project twice. For what platform(s) do you intend to release the game? Come on, this is your second round. When do you plan to finish the game? What makes you confident that you don't need a third funding? How big/long will the game approximately be, 10 minutes - 10 million years?

Your tiers kind of exploded. I dislike limited tier levels at the entry level plus a $10/$12 game should also come with some faith that it will result into a (solid) gaming experience instead of goofing around. Dunno for a higher risk project $5-$8 sounds more appropriate to me but i can understand why you're asking for $10/$12. Anyway i wish you good luck.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy the graphics. :)

The backers of the first Kickstarter will not only get what they pledged before, but I'll be adding both of their pledges together and giving them the new rewards accordingly. If you'd look at the "Delivered by" on nearly every reward level you'd see "May 2014." That's the tentative release date. The questions regarding platforms was answered in the Kickstarter.

Of course you can do a round two. It's relatively common.

The supported platforms should be written in the tiers, most people don't reads FAQs until they really need to, just take a look at me. :o) Any idea on how much game there will be? Btw. was that wasp sting real? I'm sorry but that was the most hilarious part of the video.

The supported platforms should be written in the tiers, most people don't reads FAQs until they really need to, just take a look at me. :o) Any idea on how much game there will be? Btw. was that wasp sting real? I'm sorry but that was the most hilarious part of the video.

Hahaha, yes. My sister has an embarrassing second half of the story where I thought I was going to die, etc etc.

Anyway, that's a good idea. I'll add the platforms to the main description of the game.

The game itself will be quite large if you count the amount of areas you can explore. It isn't just empty space though, every 'room' will have something in it that reveals a little more of the story or history of the world. That said, there aren't as many puzzles in this game as you might find in your usual adventure game. They're definitely there, but progress isn't as dependent on them.

I'm not sure how to guarantee completion other than to say that I am completely obsessed with finishing this thing. I'm passionate about seeing it finished.

Well, i had to laugh out loud. Btw. i like your music, aren't you making the music on your own due to a lack of time then?

Well, i had to laugh out loud. Btw. i like your music, aren't you making the music on your own due to a lack of time then?

If the Kickstarter is successful I'm actually handing the bulk of it to Chris Schlarb. It'll be a 60/40 collaboration.

I really like Father Hazel's Righteous Rage / Dropsy's Rescue. Fits perfectly for the bass guitar as well.

I really like Father Hazel's Righteous Rage / Dropsy's Rescue. Fits perfectly for the bass guitar as well.

Thanks! My friend Travis Woodson did the bass part. He was in the prog rock band Make A Rising for a short stint and does all kinds of cool music on his own.

The mood keeps you playing, like when you're jamming whilst loosing the feeling for time, really great mood. Do you also have some more music available, sell some?

Btw. for a Mac version you might want to switch the tool though. Unity plus 2D Toolkit might be a reasonable option but it's a whole different beast then.

Sign in to follow this