Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

Almost $17.5 million, the appeal comes from being a long abandoned space sim genre game for the PC whilst utalising the potential modern hard-/software (your $xxx gfx card, CryEngine) and additional periphery like the Rift are able to provide, plus an enhanced and expanded game design which builts on the experiences Roberts could gather with his former space sims already and so offering an overall improved experience which is beyond what you can normally do with games which need to stay in sync with the capabilities of a certain console generation for quite some years and keeping this world alive by updating the world constantly. It offers both off- and online gaming (offline campaign plus the bigger more alive online world). There are a few dev videos available as well as the recently released Hangar Level in which you can walk around and enter certain spaceships.

Keiji Inafune's new company, Comcept, is Kickstarting [del]a new Mega Man[/del] Mighty No. 9. Looks exciting. Pledged 5 but intend to pledge more before the end if possible.

Edit: Also worth noting the pitch video was made by 2PP, and is quite nice.

It's not only that Star Citizen appeals to the masses -- people who are interested in something like that, and have a computer capable of running the game, tend to have large amounts of disposable income (scientists, engineers, hobbyists).

In related news, they now have a "VD store" for the hangar where you can presumably buy space herpes.

Well, the average pledge is in in sub $100 range ($73), so it's still in a reasonable Kickstarter range. What drives this project beside of what i wrote already is that it works like the car business with all it's customisations. You can get a cheap ticket for your Ford but you can also buy yourself the Porsche for some more and difference is more in a $200 range than what cars would cost in real. So whilst some fly around in space with their Aurora others will be able to enjoy exploring space with their Constellation from scratch. I don't like the pay to win aspect this involves to a certain degree as well but you could say that at least here it makes some more sense. Plus people are interested in reaching their stretch goals.

What Roberts got right for me personally is how important it is being able to enter the space ships on your own, walking around in there and enjoying the different cockpit designs, this adds a lot of value to the authenticity and the atmosphere. You also can see it from a perspective that a certain percentage of people aren't playing this much anymore because they got a lot more selective due to a number of reasons but when a highlight pops up for them they also might be willing to pay some more.

What's also a bit unique about this project is, whilst a number of bigger Kickstarter projects also involve funding from sources apart from crowd funding (some considered this right from the start whilst others looked for further resources after they went into problems), this one seems to go the opposite direction trying to get fully community funded. The way this campaign evolves is interesting.

Yeah, I'm following Mighty No. 9 with great interest.. Not sure if I can find the money to back this too, but either way it's nice to see that it's going so well for them..

LIONESS - "an experimental adventure game about human connection." Ends in 39 hours.
Just wanted to point out even though it's over, LIONESS is being made by a longtime member of the forums. He goes by kodiak here, but everywhere else he goes by moooooooooosh or his real name which is on the Kickstarter.

Things are slowing down a bit with Star Citizen, still over $18.5 million.

The PAX Prime with Roberts and others might be interesting if you haven't seen it already.

Babombazulabonga, $20 millions for Star Citizen, impressive crowd funding record.

I guess that's also a nice number to stop this here but i'm sure as long as they'll continue to offer interesting new stretch goals things won't stop. The $21 million stretch goal sounds quite good. The more exploration there will be, the better.

Just a Reminder: Mighty No. 9 is in its last 24 hours. Its actually all but certain to top Double Fine's funding even without its PayPal total. Its even going to have a co op mode!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Edit: It has now surpassed DFA in Kickstarter funding, making it the third most funded Kickstarter game yet.

New animated point-n-click adventure "Bolt Riley":

www.kickstarter.com/projects/soundguy/bolt-riley-a-reggae-adventure-game

It's a Jamaican-inspired Reggae-themed adventure game, co-designed by Corey and Lori Cole (Creators of Quest for Glory series), and it's all hand-drawn 2D background artwork and hand-drawn cel animation. Looks pretty awesome to me!

This is exactly the type of adventure game i don't want to play anymore/never was fond of.

Here is one which looks nice but i doubt that it will offer more than just some basic soft adventure elements nor that the story will be tailored for adults. It could be nice if you play it with the kids though (Aquaria worked this way and the prospect that Adam Atomic will be involved doesn't hurt either).

Anyway, Night in the woods: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1307515311/night-in-the-woods

Infinite Fall reminds me of Free Fall Associates. Man, they made such memorable gems such as Archon, Archon II, Murder on the Zinderneuf (with probably one of the best game covers ever). I still like their Free Fall animation:

A new Cyan game has me foaming at the mouth with anticipation. I was already excited for RealMyst Masterpiece Edition and The Starry Expanse Project... but this is so much more tantalizing. I can't wait to feel just like I did clueless on a dock on a strange island all those years ago.

So, it seems that Charles Cecil also won't be able to deliver the full Broken Sword in 2013. Instead we'll get another two part episodic adventure. The first episode will be released before christmas and the second part is said to be released in the beginning of 2014. I wonder if this is due to a lack of time or other resources. All of the adventures i backed will (hopefully) show up in 2014 then, not sure about Armikrog. I remember the excitement at the beginning of the year when everyone was thinking that 2013 will be the adventure year and was hoping for late Q4 releases.

No idea how Star Citizen will end up, nah, evolve. With interesting enough stretch goals and maybe some christmas/new year sales actions they'll go beyond $30 millions before the end of the year (about $2 million each month since its debut) which is just crazy. I wonder how long it will take them to burn all this money and how long the money will continue to flow in.

Richard Garriott wasn't this lucky, his funding didn't skyrocket. They are progressing significantly but the presentation still looks rather outdated. Here and there the game is fighting with typical Unity issues and the bigger multiplayer focus is turning me off. On the other hand he also adds interesting elements to the game which clearly demonstrate that it's a Garriott/Ultima game.

Anyway the best Kickstarter result still is FTL.

One of the biggest surprises probably is that Desktop Dungeons is said to be released soon. Inside i've given up on this one since quite some time. Together with The Dream Machine it's one of those projects where i think the assumption is wrong that the production doesn't matter because when things go too extreme they can ruin what otherwise might be great games. Too many negative feelings and you don't want to play a game, regardless of its quality, anymore. Giving them a short curious look and see how they finally turned out, yes, but having the once strong desire to play and enjoy them anymore, nope.

Coming back to where i started from, i think it's a valid strategy to split up a game into two parts and using the additional time and new financial resources for the rest of the game, maybe tweaking some aspects of the first part afterwards as well and so delivering a better final product but after playing through many TTG games (and the current episodic waiting of TWAU already) and a number of other far worse episodic experiences i'm really not interested in playing them in an episodic way.

So, i'll wait until the final games are done and hope that the splits won't be noticeable. Looking at the DFA, it would be loco screwing up the experience, considering you were waiting since more than 15 years for such an adventure (the ideal we had in mind when dreaming of a new Schafer/LucasArts adventure), just for the tiny advantage of a few months, considering an estimated release in 2014.

Btw. it would be nice if at least one of those games will feature a scene were you can't see anything and first need to find some light source in order to progress. Having a dark scene, the need to get some sort of lamp and turning it on instantly creates a warm fuzzy atmosphere. No matter if this plays within a cavern, a storage room, a section of a spaceship, ... it also doesn't matter if you're exploring some sexy tessellated well light/shadowed area or just enlighten the nearby radius by some additive texture. Adventures and a cool a light scene/riddle fit perfectly together.

Hmm, i like that he likes The DIG (best point & click adventure), that he aims for a more mature content, seems to be interested in SF apart from watching Futurama on TV and such things. On the other side do i really need to care about my familiy for a great sf adventure? I don't like the gfx style and isometry generally isn't the best perspective for a point & click adventure where i want to explore things. Mostly the stuff is too far away, you need to rotate and zoom things and ahh it's work.

Iso is great for games like Q*bert, Zaxxon or Cadaver (but hey the relations were different there) but for scenes which want to be explored, reveal secrets and tell a story, 2d with individual camera positions or properly integrated 3d are the better choices and feel less artificial.

Anyway, good luck.

The demo gave me a very strong vibe of Sanitarium and Sanitarium was great despite the perspective.

Sign in to follow this