Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

The upcoming relaunch of a kickstarter for a HD version of Wings looks promising.

Posted this in the general discussions forums kickstarter thread also, hope it doesn't seem like spam. :)

The relaunched Wings kickstarter is up now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition/comments

It was one my favorite games for the Amiga, a pretty unique cinematic (in the right way for a game!) flight action game. It's based on an old silent film, and tells the games story in a similiar way with extracts from a diary, and silent film title cards. Hope people can afford to take a few minutes to check out the kickstarter, because I've been hoping for an updated version since Cinemaware closed 10 years ago. :)

Teaser with gameplay from the prototype

Kickstarter video

Posted this in the general discussions forums kickstarter thread also, hope it doesn't seem like spam. :)

There doesn't seem to be much overlap in users between the two threads, so that's probably just as well.

The relaunched Wings kickstarter is up now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition/comments

It was one my favorite games for the Amiga, a pretty unique cinematic (in the right way for a game!) flight action game. It's based on an old silent film, and tells the games story in a similiar way with extracts from a diary, and silent film title cards. Hope people can afford to take a few minutes to check out the kickstarter, because I've been hoping for an updated version since Cinemaware closed 10 years ago. :)

Agree completely - Wings was very close to my heart back in 1990, what with the well-written narrative linking the missions and all, and they seem to have tightened up their Kickstarter pitch a LOT since the previous attempt. Even playing the downloadable demo (which is really more of a rough "playable early draft" of a work-in-progress game than a "demo" per se) surprised me in that it actually reminded me of the original game experience. Granted, they've still got a fair deal of work to do with graphics, menus, and flight mechanic details, but at least they're upfront about it. That - and a more modest financial objective, makes me think not only that it could make it - but also that it could be all the better for having gone through this process before, learned lessons and adapted.

Lots of nice adventures, try the demos

The Weird Story of Waldemar the Warlock (adventure, with demo)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/encomplot/the-weird-story-of-waldemar-the-warlock

Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow comes Today (adventure, with demo)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fictiorama/dead-synchronicity-tct-a-dark-point-and-click-adve

The Breakout (adventure)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084621640/the-breakout

Not an Advanture game, but if you're a fan of WOnder Boy / Monster World, then Flying Hamster II should be for you:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/612975670/flying-hamster-ii

Project overview: Flying Hamster II is an ACTION-ADVENTURE GAME with PLATFORMING and RPG design elements. It is the direct sequel from the game Flying Hamster (2010) and is made by the same passionate team of professionals.

Why this project:

Flying Hamster (2010) was downloaded 1.7M+ times on PS Vita, PSP and iOS.

We received many messages from fans asking for a SEQUEL.

But most importantly: many people are craving for a new WONDER BOY / MONSTER WORLD game.

Flying Hamster II is our answer to both Monster World AND Flying Hamster fans, and more largely to any action-adventure games lover.

I had some spare time for surfing and a.o. browsed through some reviews about Möbius and BS5. Considering that i somehow often disagree with Adventure Gamers' reviews, Möbius might be worth a try (from a cynical pov the gfx and some vine should be good enough for some fun already). The last paragraph of the review made me thinking that you could enter the names of Tim Schafer and Charles Cecil as well. The so far released first wave kickstarter adventures aren't up to the expectations.

Apart from those which still need to be released it will be interesting to see how a general lack of quality/focus/relevant evolution and this catering for the masses will effect a second wave. I wouldn't have imagined that with all those projects a Daedalic adventure (Memoria) would offer the best point & click adventure experience since kickstarter got popular. Somehow disillusioning but on the bright side there at least was a good one (btw. i enjoyed the maze in Memoria too).

Star Citizen passed $42 million and although you can give them the benefit of the doubt, i don't have a good feeling about the game anymore. Maybe everything will turn out great in the end but currently it doesn't look this way. Garriot's $4 million seem to be a false investment and a derailed project as well. ...

Can you imagine how a $42 million point & click adventure from Gilbert/Schafer/Daedalic(Mentz)/your favourite game designer might be like?

The so far released first wave kickstarter adventures aren't up to the expectations.

Your expectations maybe. For myself I've enjoyed most what I've played from Kickstarter and look forward to finishing the ones that have just come out and all the ones that are yet to come. The only disappointment I've had is with Leisure Suit Larry, and that was probably a case of nostalgia overriding my better judgement when backing it. It's fine I guess, I just can't get into playing it.

Yep, plus my friends who used to play adventures as well.

Anyway i generally don't dig Sierra's adventures but Leisure Suit Larry always seemed to be one of the worse series from Sierra (no matter if it's an original or a reboot), like Police Quest or ... I guess without LucasArts i never would have played a point & click adventure and many adventures wouldn't even exist.

Actually, the second part of Broken Sword 5 seems to be getting really good impressions - while Episode 1 was getting similar, mixed reactions as Broken Age (as in "well made, but on the short and easy side"), Episode 2 apparently kicks it up a notch, with the story picking up, puzzles getting much more interesting and challenging, and a decent length combined (people reporting ~10-12h in total).

Seems like they really made a mistake with slicing the game in two parts, since while it's now getting (at least from the few places I've been reading) almost unanimous praise, a lot of the hype has died down by now. Still, looks like the first solid winner of the KS adventure craze.

The "next big thing" is now Tex Murphy, coming out May 7th. Also high hopes for that one.

I was looking forward to play BS5 a lot but when i actually played it, i was just bored and everything was so dull and uninspired, didn't like the characters style, the dialogues and riddles were a joke, the story was boring, ... dunno, what's the secret behind making one brilliant game and then screwing it up three-four times in a row?

It might be worth downloading a save game to start right with part two some day but currently i lost my mojo to finish the game. I'm no fan of making a game, splitting it up into two parts and dumbing down the first half up for non adventure gamers. That's not what i was looking forward to/backing.

Yep, Tex will be the next one and maybe this will be a better adventure. The problem is that i never liked Tex as much as the LucasArts adventures, so ... but i'm confident that the music will be good.

The Eldritch Cases: Dagon - A Lovecraft horror adventure

e9b83b0f019707a77f72a6b88085343f_large.png?1397384745

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1819174432/the-eldritch-cases-dagon-a-lovecraftian-horror-adv

The Eldritch Cases: Dagon is a 3rd person horror point&click; adventure based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Win/Mac/Linux

tl;dr, the facts:

horror point & click adventure based on H.P. Lovecraft

2 playable characters

Soundtrack by Jan Kavan

Win/Mac/Linux

German/English

Backed and hoping it will make it. DRM Free, Crossplatform, Indie and Lovecraft. Sold.

Cheers,

Thorsten

A Song for Viggo is a stop motion game made of paper that I both really want to see get made but also dread playing.

It's a game about a father who accidentally kills his son and the challenges he faces afterwards in having to go on living with the guilt and sorrow, being there for his daughter and trying to save his marriage after the terrible tragedy. By having interviewed parents who have lost children the creator will attempt to make the game feel as authentic as possible.

The first chapter starts with you having to arrange your son's funeral.

D2ZyhPoG8w8

As a father myself, that video had a huge emotional impact on me.

I've backed most of those but hadn't heard of the Subject 13 or Inherit the Earth 2 campaigns so thanks for mentioning those. It's also worth noting that there's only a day and a half left of the Bolt Riley campaign and it still lacks funding, so now is the time to back for anyone interested who hasn't done so yet.

Duke Grabowski, Nancy Steele, ... seriously?

Feels like a free fall from The DIG down to something uninspired like this but Venture Moon sounds nice. Thanks for The DIG and A Vampyre Story though.

I´m updating a crowdfunding page since beginning of 2012 here:

http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=475159#p475159

It´s focusing on adventure games and adventure game-related* projects.

(* visual novels, books or music CDs from adventure game makers/ studios, story driven games, etc.)

Watched / listed over 270 projects so far.

It´s in German but the text is very limited so it should work as overview :-)

At the top of the list you find active projects, followed by the ones who succeeded, failed or were cancelled.

You find a top 10 list at the end of that thread.

Like this:

#01 $ 3,33 Mio Broken Age: 87.142 Backer (833%, Ø $38 pro Backer)

#02 $ 1,53 Mio Dreamfall Chapters: 21,858 Backer (180%, Ø $70 pro Backer)

#03 $ 1,32 Mio Obduction: 22,195 Backer (120%, Ø $60 pro Backer)

#04 $ 0,97 Mio Armikrog.: 18,126 Backer (108%, Ø $54 pro Backer)

#05 $ 0,77 Mio Broken Sword 5: 14,032 Backer (192%, Ø $55 pro Backer)

#06 $ 0,65 Mio Leisure Suit Larry: 14,081 Backer (131%, Ø $46 pro Backer)

#07 $ 0,63 Mio Thimbleweed Park: 15,623 Backer (167%, Ø $40 pro Backer)

#08 $ 0,59 Mio Tex Murphy: 6,963 Backer (132%, Ø $86 pro Backer)

#09 $ 0,54 Mio SpaceVenture: 10,809 Backer (107%, Ø $50 pro Backer)

#10 $ 0,44 Mio Moebius: 5,836 Backer (145%, Ø $75 pro Backer)

Sign in to follow this