Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

I've tried the demo of Dominique Pamplemousse and I'm in two mind about this project.

On one hand, it is a crazy concept (musical + stop motion + adventure game) and I like it.

On the other hand, the music can become grating because of its repetitiveness and the whole thing has a very low-fi feel to it.

My feeling exactly.

The Tesla Museum project is worth pledging some money to. Here's the Indiegogo link.

Planetary Annihilation looks like a really interesting project from Uber Entertainment. They've made Monday Night Combat and Super Monday Night Combat.

I like the look of it but for one thing if it's only multiplayer I'm not interested and for another I don't like the "$15 limited reward equivalent to the $20 reward for the game". Why don't you just put it all at $15?

It isn't only multiplayer, they'll have various levels of AI plus skirmishes, according to one of their video updates.

Smiles

Just backed:

Knock-Knock

If you manage to survive till sunrise, another monster would dissolve and disappear in the first light of dawn. But if the Visitors manage to get you before the sun shines...

Two Brothers

Two Brothers is an Action/Adventure/Role playing... game created in the style of GameBoy games... As for the actual appearance of the game in relation to the plot, the general lack of color is a core element of what the game is about.

This guy hasn't done a great job of marketing his KS, or telling his story, but it's pretty interesting. He's close, but he really needs a last second push.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1450692945/daniel-mustard-records-a-new-ep

Daniel Mustard moved from Los Angeles to New York to try to start a music career. He played the club/bar circuit, including doing gigs with Stefani Germanotta, who you might know as Lady Gaga, but soon lost everything to alcoholism. He ended up homeless, living on the streets in Manhattan for years and playing in Washington Square Park for money.

The Opie and Anthony Show, which often has a police officer bring in homeless wrecks for them to interview for laughs, brought the guy on their show after a blacked out night where he was nearly arrested. As a goof, they asked him to sing a song. They handed him a guitar and he did this:

It went on to get 8 million hits. It was enough to motivate him to get his act together. He left New York for a while, got sober, and continues to be over a year sober now. He's trying to record an album of mostly original material and make good on his music, but he's still like $2000 short with 2 days to go. Whether or not the music is your thing, he's got an awesome voice and it's good to see a talented guy trying to get his life together.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Adventure

A new, original, Broken Sword game by Charles Cecil. Join the adventure and help us create the best Broken Sword game ever.

Detective Grimoire

Investigate the crime scene, interrogate suspects, collect clues and solve puzzles, all to uncover the secret of the swamp!

Homestuck Adventure Game

An adventure game based on Homestuck, by Andrew Hussie.!

Jack Houston and the Necronauts

A classic point & click graphic adventure game set it a pulp sci-fi world of bubble helmets, rockets & rayguns!

Terra Lumina

From the creator of Symphony of Science comes an original folk/rock album about the most awe-inspiring scientific ideas.

Has someone already mentioned Expeditions: Conquistador? It's a tactical RPG that looks to boast lots of writing with good choice and consequence. I personally think it looks really awesome, as it hits a lot of my pet areas of RPGs. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2128128298/expeditions-conquistador

And here's a graphic novel that looks very interesting: Season's End, a fantasy/horror comic that looks pretty cool. Doesn't look like it'll make its goal though. :/http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1736520269/seasons-end-a-gothic-fantasy-tale?ref=live

The Homestuck Adventure Game got funded within a day. Looks like it's going to end in the $2-3M ballpark. I wonder how the game will end up, especially with such a large budget.

(Copied and pasted from my post at the Pinkerton Road forum.)

Bryan Wiegele, creator of the Delaware St. John adventure games, has a Kickstarter running for a graphic novel The Red Queen of Oz. It's actually a first step towards an adventure game, and I asked him a few questions about this and posted the interview here.

I hope he'll get the graphic novel funded (not a given at this point) and move on to create the game.

Here's a pretty global film project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69779335/the-passersby-short-film

It plays in an alternative reality where skills can be transferred. I know the people behind this project and I'm pretty sure they manage to do something cool and interesting here. I already know the story and I think it is pretty good. Besides the goal isn't that high (2000bucks). Would be amazing to make that happen!

Conclave is into its last days and could really do with some love. They currently have a free beta up and running at http://www.playconclave.com

It's a roleplay game, heavily inspired by tabletop, intended for those of us who enjoy D&D etc. but don't have time to actually get around a table and roll some dice very regularly. To that end it's primarily designed to be played in asynchronous multiplayer - teaming up with others and firing off your turns in coffee breaks and other spare moments. It also has decisions during the quests that the party can vote on - choose your own adventure stylee.

The beta is fairly basic (there's tons of stuff they're planning to implement, top of the list being animation, sound, more elaborate quests decisions and character customisation) The writing is really solid and the combat can get nice and tactical, and it's easy to drop in and out of parties so I've been having a lot of fun just forming up different class combinations with various friends and experimenting!

Sealark is a two-people effort to make a game about collecting fishes, in what looks to be a more adventurous way than Animal Crossing, and has one of the best pixelated look/animations I've seen since... forever. It has already reached his pretty humble goal and plans are already moving toward an expansion.

photo-full.jpg

Nexus 2

From the guys that brought us the first part.

And the first part, in my opinion, was and is the best tactical game in space.

I really like them to gather more because i waited for sequel right from the time i finished a first game, so approximately 7 years

Sealark is a two-people effort to make a game about collecting fishes, in what looks to be a more adventurous way than Animal Crossing, and has one of the best pixelated look/animations I've seen since... forever. It has already reached his pretty humble goal and plans are already moving toward an expansion.

photo-full.jpg

I love the look of this! The video is so simple but the animation, art and music are fantastic. I'm really glad its doing so well. You see people looking for over 100k for games that don't look this good.

Here's another endearing action/adventure project whose art direction is intriguing and quite unique

Lots of copy/paste following here...

Papier Adventure on Kickstarter

Papier is a game that takes place in a world of paper, sketches and ink. Where imagination and adventure are everything!

c5929b4a3a1c6de38e4e6fe37816dc1f_medium.png?1346856724

The game immerses you and your character, a boy named Papier, into a world made of paper that combines the latest of game technology with the aesthetic of hand drawn surfaces. The outdoor scene at the end of the project video demonstrates the unique look and feel of the game world.

While Papier's powers will be essential to success in this world, it is the choices you make that will have far reaching consequences for Papier, the characters he meets, and the unfolding of the world of paper.

The world and story of Papier is for those who really dig worlds of imagination and fantasy. We're super excited about the story, characters, visual style, and entertaining touches that will make this a special game to experience, and we can't wait to share it with you. If we were to mention influences to give you an idea of what to expect, they would be the work of Tim Burton, the whimsically portrayed Hans Christian Andersen (you know the one with Danny Kaye?), and Roald Dahl. You get the idea. All aboard the escapism express!

Here's a great interview with the project creators

Reddit AMA

So no mention of Grimoire around here yet?

I am personally not at all keen on throwing money on this before its release (especially considering that its creator swears that its going to be released no matter what -hence the flexible funding campaign- while most of the people who know about it will tell you that it's at least just as likely that it won't) but, due to its notoriety among the cRPG community, it's certainly an interesting case, if quite disturbing in some ways as well to be honest - be warned.

Grimoire's dev is too much of a character. He's made quite a show at the Shaker Kickstarter, and having read some about him there's no way I'd pledge for a project of his. Regardless of his general opinions and manner, I fear that if someone ever says anything bad about his game he's going to go ballistic. I'd rather have a dev who wants to make sure the players are happy than a prima donna who hates pretty much everyone else.

As for Devil's Cove, I saw it some time ago and my first thoughts where: "I'm tapped out on adventure games, and not enthusiastic enough about this" and "it will never make it anyway." I'm sure it won't make it, but I decided to make a token pledge and changed my profile picture to an image for this project. I like the art and I wish them luck.

During the rest of the KS Devil’s Cove will never make it. So they will need a different approach.

Grimoire isn't really my cup of tea. I don't mind oldschool but I never liked the ego-look of old rpg's (I only like ego-perspective when it looks like Skyrim or even better).

But what did the Grimoire guy do at the Shaker KS?

The Homestuck Adventure Game got funded within a day. Looks like it's going to end in the $2-3M ballpark. I wonder how the game will end up, especially with such a large budget.

(Copied and pasted from my post at the Pinkerton Road forum.)

i dont get the idea of the game, im wondering how it made the milllions?

Its quite psychodelic to me,

Do they have a large webcomic fanbase? Never heard of them before.

Devils Cove:

Yes they will not get funded this round probably, but maybe the game changes in another round .

Just like Jack and the Necronauts

He launched a hate-filled personal attack against Brenda Brathwaite on the kickstarter comments while promoting his own game. The guy's a lunatic really.

wondering how it made the milllions? Its quite psychodelic to me, Do they have a large webcomic fanbase? Never heard of them before.

Yes, it's an extremely large fanbase. Just google Homestuck. There's a lot going on here. I've never heard of it before but it seems to be extremely popular in the USA:

He launched a hate-filled personal attack against Brenda Brathwaite on the kickstarter comments while promoting his own game. The guy's a lunatic really.

Weird guy...

I'm pretty sure any money pledged toward Grimoire would go to fund Blakemore's Unabomber shack and tin foil hat production. That guy is a kook and a half.

Sign in to follow this