Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
janderson

Kickstarter Project Collection Thread

Hi! Am i cool enough to be in this thread?

Spellirium is a trashpunk comedy adventure game:

http://www.spellirium.com

kY7Uz9KO3XE

It's an independent campaign, rather than a Kickstarter campaign, but it's structured the same way. Backers get to play the alpha immediately. Tim has already tweeted about it, and Ron Gilbert is a backer (he reserved the word GRUMPY in the game's dictionary :)

spellirium_rustyBucketSaloon.jpg

i'm trying to get the game out to adventure game fans, and could really use a word-of-mouth boost. Back Spellirium, or vote for us in Greenlight, or both! i know everyone says this about their own games, but Spellirium is really something special.

Thanks, everyone!

- Ryan

Whilst The Realm is looking good and the 2.5 route they are taking is a nice one, the problem with the game is, at least with the adventure gamers i talked about the game, that they are promoting it like a casual adventure game, you know a somehow reduced inventory, we do it in a modern way, etc., That's not what a large part of the point & click adventure community wants. Plus it's another point & click adventure with a children story and that's what they are doing primary these days.

I'm... gonna have to be honest here and admit that I am a complete graphicwhore for this game... the art direction and the music grabbed me by the balls and didn't let go. I would have backed this project even if the gameplay is 24hrs of poking a giant amoeba with a stick.

Sorry :( This probably isn't selling it well but I wanna be honest.

Hey, no problem at all, i wish you good luck that the project makes it.

Wait! For a second i thought ... crossing fingers that it will get started for real in a not so distant future. I guess i'm one of the few persons who really liked Mona, the character, the voice acting.

Hmm, it's confusing what kind of games all show up in the space sim category. To me sim also means simulation and so a space sim should simulate a certain aspect of space but mostly it's only about fighting, shooting and a little bit of trading in space, again. With Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space on the VCS2600 it all started very promising but apart from a few interesting titles it didn't really evolve. Well, not only J.J. Abrams will continue to demonstrate, action is what you'll mostly get. Sometimes the action will be entertaining, sometimes it will pointless.

I got asked what the highest average pledge for a kickstarter game has been. No idea but i think it comes down to a game with a small dedicated fan base who really wants to make it happen (for more backers it might be customisation/virtual goods/rewards), i guess something between $100 and $200, any suggestions? Anyway, i got interested in some stats for the games i backed, quickly put together:

http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/statsr1vj0azeg6.png

So, Richard Garriott comes close to $100 already and Chris Roberts stands out with the money he collected apart from kickstarter.

*update*

Two adventure related examples i found above $100 per backer:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reversion-the-meeting with $121.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14293468/homestuck-adventure-game with $102.

Even better.

Btw. you've backed almost 100 projects. Do you also expect to consume all this or are you primary after collecting and/or funding?

"Save the SciFi!" reminds me of all the great SF books which, beside of second hand bookshops, eBay or privately scanned in copies, aren't available anymore (no matter if it's in electronic of physical form). There should be an agreement that if you own a book physically and give it off at an authorised institution, that they grant you access to an electronic version (despite all the local licence issues).

Even better.

Btw. you've backed almost 100 projects. Do you also expect to consume all this or are you primary after collecting and/or funding?

For a starter many of them failed to get funded, some don't produce anything, and many I backed at a token level (often just $1, and in other cases still less than where I get the product). This leaves around 35 projects which will produce something I'll get. Of the few which have already produced results the only ones I consumed were from the Dinocalypse Now project and most of the stuff posted here. I will probably also read the comics projects I backed and watch the movie projects I backed (that's about two each). Of the games, I will probably play the adventure games that have an Android version, and won't play the rest.

So yes, it's mostly funding and collecting. It's not that I don't want to consume this stuff, but realistically I won't get to it.

Certainly a different approach, i only backed projects when i was, at least at some point, really interested in them but then i also wanted to receive the final product, therefore i prefer to invest more into less projects. I know from others that they prefer to go for the minimum they receive a game for but support as many games as possible. I don't know of people who fund at a level which doesn't get them anything though.

The intention of Kickstarter somehow was/is different but practically considering how many projects evolved, with all the limited pledge levels they use in order to aggravate backers, ... things started rather quicky to turn into a pre selling situation and a more normal business, investment, whatever you want to call it which is fine as well, if you're aware of the pros and cons this model shares.

Let me give you some examples of how much I back and the reasons for backing for currently running projects:

Fantasyche: Mike - A Two-tier game dealing with Escapism - I pledged £3 for this, enough to get the game, even though I don't really want it and won't play it. Reasons I pledged are that Ross Tunney (the project's creator) did good work on a previous project I backed (was very communicative and worked quickly on it) and because the subject of depression and escapism, though it doesn't appeal to me, is something that I know some gamers deal with and care about.

Lords of Gossamer and Shadow: Diceless Role-Playing - This is a nostalgia project mainly. I liked Amber Diceless and corresponded with its creator, Erick Wujcik, at the time. Erick died a few years ago at age 57, which was sad. This project is a re-imagining of Amber Diceless with a setting that's similar but not encumbered by Zelazny's copyright, and with lead designed Jason Durall, who worked on Amber Diceless stuff at the time. I'm currently in at a tentative $1, but I want the hardcover special edition, which means the $30 tier and a total of around $55. I might go for $15 instead and add the rest later since I got an okay for that. I will not play that game, but I might read the book. Most likely I'll browse it but not fully read it.

The Realm Game - a good looking adventure game. I like adventure games, and want that to get funded. I'm currently in at £15 (enough to get the game), but this looks like it won't make it, and if it does I will drop down to £1 so I have money to back Lords of Gossamer and Shadow. I have a limited Kickstarter budgets, which unfortunately I often pass, and last month was especially bad in this respect because of Torment, so I don't want to go overboard this month.

Some other recent projects:

9 Year Old Builds Her First RPG... - $1 just to have a back seat and see what happens with it. It was quite controversial, but its creator (the 9 year old's mom) seemed to genuinely want to make something good of it.

CONSORTIUM - I liked the idea of the game, in particular the ability to play FPS style without killing. Pledged $10 for the game, but probably won't play it.

Crowdfunding Rebel Alliance X-Wing Squadron - not a real project

Back to Bed - I liked the art. Pledged $5 for the game. Might play it a little if they provide an Android version for free.

Homeworld Touch and Homeworld 3 - they wanted to get the Homeworld license, and I was willing to support that, but mainly I wanted to support the development of a complex RTS on tablets. Pledged $10 for the Touch version. They refunded the money to backers because they didn't get the license (that's what they promised up front) but I told them to keep it to help support the mobile development.

Civitas - Plan, develop, and manage the city of your dreams! - I pledged $1 to keep track of it. Project was cancelled.

OMINOUS! - $1 for a humorous RPG sounded good value to me. Probably won't play it though.

Torment: Tides of Numenera - $50 mainly due to nostalgia towards the original, but also because I like what Brian Fargo is doing. I'll get some novellas and an art book and might read and look at them. I might start the game, but probably won't play much of it unless it really sucks me in.

Fathom - pledged £1 as token support, because I liked the art. Project failed to fund.

Okay, that's quite some info.

I never was such a big fan of Zelazny, although i enjoyed the Amber cycle plus a few others but the project might be interesting. The Realm is struggling because they seem to offer the lowest common denominator experience like "children can enjoy it, adults too", they offer nice art but the impression is too casual, i'm not convinced by their visions about puzzle and game design. Many adventure gamers want a great adventure instead of doing something in a modern but maybe less entertaining way, no inventory usage whilst their example of puzzle design wasn't convincing. Due to this the campaign also suffers from not being dollar driven.

I'll be honest about Brian Fargo, the game i want badly from him is a new old school The Bard's Tale. Staying committed to the origins similar the way Almost Human reanimated Dungeon Master.

I think that the problem with The Realm is not just the "dumbing down", it's that they made it a point of the sales pitch. They're saying "adventure games are clunky and we're going to fix that", and this naturally rubs adventure game fans the wrong way, since the inventory and using objects is a staple of the genre. I do think that they can create something enjoyable, and I'm sure many adventure game fans can enjoy an adventure games with different mechanics, as long as it gets the storytelling and puzzles right, but it's not a good thing to antagonise your audience up front.

Yep, i could imagine that these lines put quite some people off. It's fine to do something new but when you're saying that an established beloved way of doing things isn't good enough and you're trying something different then you also should demonstrate how this works. The gameplay video they offered wasn't good enough in this respect and felt too casual. This might be due to that they aren't aware of this issue or because that's just the way the game is supposed to be. If it's the first, a great puzzle/gameplay video might help. If it's the second, well, it doesn't seem to be the game many people want this much.

GameTable Online Super Charge.

A different kind of video game kickstarter. GameTable Online is an service that lets people play popular board and card games online, such as Axis and Allies, Tigris and Euphrates, Robo Rally, Battle Cry, Chess, Backgammon, Hearts, Lord of the Fries..about 30 great games spanning Euro games, classic games, Cheapass games, several Avalon Hill games.

Their site is already cool, but they want to make it cooler and add more games. :D

Unrest

-- an RPG set in ancient India

-- no failstates, just failures; the story continues after characters die

-- combat serves the story

-- more about political and social intrigue and less about fulfilling your destiny

-- DRM-free for PC, Mac & Linux

Yay!

I kind of miss the black fingers. I hope he moves faster than in The Neverhood.

They have about 6k backers and collected almost $260k already.

That's a good start but they at least need to triple the amount of backers. It's quite brave asking for $900k of funding for a less main stream point & click adventure considering what the majority of the genre was able to collect so far. I hope that Earthworm Jim fans jump in as well. In the remaining 28 days they need about 430 backers per day, plus the final punch. If they put enough effort into it and people keep on coming in, it is doable. I think their tier structure could be better though.

Saying so, i generally don't understand why quite a lot of projects don't put more effort and thoughts upfront into their tier structure. Either they are unbalanced, lack some information, offer too many or too less options, ... it often seems that they lack the experiences you could gather since Kickstarter is more common and thereby don't utalise all the possible resources.

I just backed this last night. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonaskaerlev/a-hat-in-time-3d-collect-a-thon-platformer It's a 3D platformer with a Wind Waker art style. I kind of had no choice. It's also the first Kickstarter I backed since I won my Broken Age Slacker Backer status. Of course now I backed Massive Chalice, so it's all good.

@Kennyan

Actually it's "Armikrog.". ;O)

Hey, time for some DF promotion: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice

I'm not sure what the game will be exactly about (maybe it's the wine) but i backed it nonetheless. :o)

><))°>

><))°> @DF Please consider making Brazen at some point as well!

><))°>

Now, if all the projects gonna make it, i only have one more Kickstarter game slot left for this year which most probably will be taken by Bill Tiller.

Dunno, sometimes, nah mostly, i enjoy looking at numbers. :o)

Momentaufnahme: Massive Chalice beats Armikrog. on the number of backers, on the pledged amount (of course no split, physical costs, etc. were considered) and according to kicktraq on the amount of time being left, about 5 hours. But both are beaten by TTG's weekly HWS on the number of backers and the pledged amount/sales. TTG crossed the $300k after approximately 3.5 hours. They also differ on the average pledged amount (A. $42, MC $36, TTG-HWS $4). It will be interesting to see if and how this changes once the weekly sale is over with DF having three further weeks to go. In my opinion both Kickstarter campaigns benefit from each other too. I hope that Bill Tiller will also get some attention once he starts his campaign.

Momentaufnahme: Massive Chalice beats Armikrog. on the number of backers, on the pledged amount (of course no split, physical costs, etc. were considered) and according to kicktraq on the amount of time being left, about 5 hours. But both are beaten by TTG's weekly HWS on the number of backers and the pledged amount/sales. TTG crossed the $300k after approximately 3.5 hours. They also differ on the average pledged amount (A. $42, MC $36, TTG-HWS $4). It will be interesting to see if and how this changes once the weekly sale is over with DF having three further weeks to go. In my opinion both Kickstarter campaigns benefit from each other too. I hope that Bill Tiller will also get some attention once he starts his campaign.

What's TTG and HWS?

What's TTG and HWS?

Telltale Games and Humble Weekly Sale.

Sign in to follow this