Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Antithesis

The tone/mood of the game.

What sort of mood would you like to see for the game?

While Lucasarts early and awesome adventure games like Monkey Island, DOTT, (and so on, and so forth) were undeniable comedies, I shall admit that I find P&C-Games that manage to bring more feelings to me than just laughter. Grim Fandango, while incredibly funny, also had a lot of other moods to it. The Dig was almost only mystery and the thrill of a complete new world.

I'm hoping that they'll at least consider making a game for the people who used to love the old P&C-games, that means the mature audience. I'd love to see a game like Gabriel Knight 1, that kept me playing with a heart pulsating for a six hour stretch just to get through to the ending. (And a bit of blood and horror doesn't hurt either)

Any thoughts? :)

I would love for it to be dark but with a great deal of comedy mixed into it here and there. Like Grim Fandango. Grim Fandango is a weirdly dark, almost somber game that, nevertheless, is hilarious in many respects.

I don't want it to take itself too seriously, but I also don't want it to be crazy wacky either. I love that middle ground that Tim hit VERY well in Full Throttle and again in Grim Fandango.

Tim's games have been all over the serious to silly scale, and I've enjoyed each one. Personally, I'd prefer a healthy mix of humor and seriousness, but I'm pretty certain that I'll be satisfied with whatever direction they choose.

My hearts open to anything, I happen to love the Oddworld characters so hopefully something that speaks to that.

The game has to have some comedy that is half the draw of a good Adventure game to me. But what makes a GREAT! adventure game is:

Having compelling characters with solid goals/motivations doing interesting things.

A strong narrative or plot that stays on focus most of the time(humor has permission to derail the plot for a time)

And lost the holy grail of good comedy and any story Timing/pacing.

If they can nail down these things any mood they set will be good for me. To be honest I think to many developers these days are trying to hard to be dark and edgy. Just let the story be what it wants to be and don't try and force it into any one box. Real life is more complicated the just one tone or theme but a mix of many.

This is a very difficult question and I almost feel like its not even work asking as subject matter, character, or narrative are massively superior starting off points. 'I want to make something scary..' or some such is a neigh impossible task, as opposed to saying, 'here are some of the elements I would like to incorporate'.. Mood I feel is a culmination of everything that went in to it and is a product more than a goal. (Although you certainly could and should keep a mood in mind and accumulate tidbits that work towards that mood, but I feel this is mostly a background process and is not something you necessarily write down at the top of your design document). I guess what I'm saying is that it's to do a lot with the personality of the creatives involved and the things that have been going on in their minds over a lifetime. You can only create the things that have been quietly churning for ages.

That said, I think this project should have some sort of relation to the way in which it was funded. Some sort of element of support of art and culture, helping the people you love, getting neat junk from your heroes, groundswells, community, or group activism. I'm sure there is some sort of utopic theme that can be derived from those elements.. maybe a mood of enthusiasm where they live in the land of Enthusmasia where everyone is super enthusiastic about everything. Thats a three million dollar idea if I've ever heard one... I expect 1.5 mill in licensing fees...

Joking of course. I would love to see a game that encourages play, experimentation, creativity, taking on of projects, diligence, collaboration, crowd funding (!), and creativity. Did I say creativity? Some sort of element of a sandbox nature would rule my world. I don't know if this forum was meant to be that sandbox or if the developers plan on extending the idea into the game itself.

I feel that each Lucas Arts adventure game had a distinctly different mood and I would love to see the trend continue on into the future. Diversity is always a good thing :)

(Seriously Enthusmasia is yours..)

Maybe it could move through different moods, more like a symphonic piece of music. Of course the art-style, style of music, setting and other factors will have some kind of overall mood or flavour.. To be very general I'm more interested in something with an underlying sense of joy than something which feels bleak and pessimistic.

Same here. My favorites are the ones that mix the two as well, like Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts. But I've also enjoyed really silly and really serious adventure games too, so its really up to them. As long as the game is good and sparks my interest, I'll enjoy it. That's the only thing I've ever asked from a game and its all I can hope for really.

Tim's games have been all over the serious to silly scale, and I've enjoyed each one. Personally, I'd prefer a healthy mix of humor and seriousness, but I'm pretty certain that I'll be satisfied with whatever direction they choose.

Comedy. Beyond that I don't care.

I do like dark comedy and I think Tim and Ron do it well, so that might be a preference, but as long as it's a comedy I'm cool.

I don't want a Full Throttle serious face game though, even though there was a bit of humor in that one. I want funny.

It really depends on how the game is gonna be, i dont mind funny Sam & max, day of the tentacle i love that. But i also loved Full Throttle more serious but still funny moments.

Whatever fits the game, for me its more about the story, game and what will fit.

I think it is possible to have more than one mood in the game, but I do feel that comedy has it's place in adventure-games. Of course it is not something that absolutely HAS to be in the game, but it was always one of my favourite things about certain adventure-games. They were actually funny.

That said I think most kinds comedy would work, anything from completely crazy jokes (as in nonsense-jokes) to the more serious-style jokes that were in Psychonauts (among other games). That choice really depends on what kind of characters/setting/story/etc. they decide to use in the game and as long as the jokes works with the characters/setting/story/etc. I am sure it's gonna be fantastic either way.

The feeling of exploration is vital to me, I want to excited to uncover each new location and character for their own sake rather than just the operational role they play in the puzzles or story. I'd also like something deceptively funny but also dark - there were moments in Psychonauts that were very creepy and weird even though in general it was cute and funny. I love the humor of Monkey Island but, for me, I would like some more emotion and pathos to the story.

I want humour. I hope this is going to be a full comedy game. Exactly like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts.

I wouldn't mind a bone dry, humourless game if it was something really special. However, I think with the way some of the guys at Double Fine look at games, it won't be a question of comedy being there, but simply how much. One of the things that I like about the Monkey Island games is that there's not very much funny about the plot and the art style, it's kept very much to the characters and dialogue choices. Serious games with humour smartly woven into them have generally held a place in my nostalgic mind for longer periods of time. I'm pretty flexible with how moody and how funny I would want the game to be, I just don't want to see a full-on comedic farce.

I would love for it to be dark but with a great deal of comedy mixed into it here and there. Like Grim Fandango. Grim Fandango is a weirdly dark, almost somber game that, nevertheless, is hilarious in many respects.

I don't want it to take itself too seriously, but I also don't want it to be crazy wacky either. I love that middle ground that Tim hit VERY well in Full Throttle and again in Grim Fandango.

/agree

I have no doubt df will dissapoint when it comes to the humor aspect of this game.

The broad range of adventure gamers make me smile and gets me all fuzzy inside!

I for one want to play a game that makes me emotional in the way some movies do. Aside from laughing my ass off and getting heartfully frightened...

... that being said... good luck mixing all three of those!

The wonder and alien feeling of the DIG, day of the tenticle, Sam and max, and machinarium, with all the comedy of MI2. Space travel, robots, lasers, sexy aliens.

I'd like to see another "noir" adventure such as GF or Discworld Noir (it was a shame this game wasn't properly tested... so many bugs spoiled - a little - the experience).

I reckon Day of the Tentacle is a GREAT and FUNNY game but it is the last one of Schafer's classic adventure games on my personal list.

I love Grim Fandango - also - because it takes many things from hardboiled novels and classic noir cinema. Same way, I feel Monkey Island is the funny and crazy side of Treasure Island. I like when there is a good story behind despite you can just float over it going through a series of funny and apparently unrelated events. The dramatic bites in Grim Fandango were touchy and unforgetable...

Noir for me.

I think the one piece of concept art and knowledge of past titles pretty well keys us in on what to expect.

If I had to describe it in a word... 'Whimsical!'

or even... 'Adventurous!'

Or we can go with a marketing statement of 'Fun, clever and fast paced.'

Any one of those will work for me! I can't really picture a game via DF that would fail in any of those points, save fast paced... and I'm not sure why I get that feeling here except in that it'd make it feel more potentially adventurous and approachable as such, which seems like something they've taken into importance on the design side where applicable.

Well.

Humour is a great tool, I feel, in conjunction with other elements or themes, because it opens you up to them. Drops your defences, as it were. It's an easy way to draw you into the experience and then slug you with something else. It's an element I've always loved and supported in many works (I'm brain farting at the moment, I can't think of the names of any :(), the ability to use humour to highlight more mature or emotional themes.

It might just be me, but I feel humour is more effective when it's juxtaposed against something else. Whether it's an oppressive environment, a deserved prank, or an idle joke during a bored watch, it needs to have context. Comedy for its own sake (as opposed to comedy for a reason) I don't think is as good.

I would love a hilarious heart-breaker...

I really love it when any type of entertainment media(games, movies, tv) use lots of comedy to invest the audience in the world and the characters, then when serious things happen they always feel more impactful (at least to me). I loved the tone in Grim Fandango, the mix of comedy and seriousness worked absolutely wonderfully and the game was hilarious yet the hilarity added to the impact that the serious bits had. Like Grim Fandango I would like the overall plot/themes themselves to be quite serious but surrounded by some wonderful comedy. I definitely would like the comedy to be more script based versus physical comedy(while it works sometimes, like in Stacking and some bits of DOTT, I feel it is never as memorable.)

Grim Fandango is a great example of a balance I can really enjoy. A richly atmospheric setting, characters who are believably inhabiting it with (depending on the character) serious motivations and concerns, lots of surreal and humorous events and details along the way, but also plenty of room for other emotions to be evoked, including the occasional tug on the heart-strings. I'm all for increasing the humor and surreality factors to any extreme, but I think those things works best when the world takes itself seriously enough that you can believe the characters live in it.

Sign in to follow this