Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enceladeans

Should there be a TF2 item?

It is going to be on Steam, and it could help introduce some non-adventure fans to the genre.

Then again, I'm not sure how much it helped Sam and Max...

I guess it could be cool if there was a Team Fortress 2-item based on the game and I see how it could help non-adventure-fans find the game.

I do not think it is something that a large amount of time should be put into though, but it would be cool.

Just make it a Double Fine logo hat. Instant profit.

Good Point. Or just add a head (which looks like one of the heads on the logo) on the shoulder of the character. That would be awesome!

Ergh, I really hate cross-game promotional stuff like this. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but I don't care for the new rash of downloadable doo-dads for different games. Let it stand on its own.

Ergh, I really hate cross-game promotional stuff like this. Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but I don't care for the new rash of downloadable doo-dads for different games. Let it stand on its own.

this

this

It would only be 1 item for 1 game. It wouldn't affect you at all in any way, but it would encourage more sales from TF2 fanatics.

As a big fan of TF2 I wouldn't mind an item, but I don't think it's necessary. TF2 has enough items as is.

I supposed we could have an item in Hat Fortress 2, America's most popular hat wearing simulator, but I don't think it would really be needed, and could devalue the game with people thinking "hey look, they are just doing cheap marketing gimmiks".

I know for a fact that TF2 fans will buy a game that they have no intention of playing just to get the related TF2 item.

So, if you want this game to make more money for Double Fine, then yes, have a TF2 item associated with it.

I know for a fact that TF2 fans will buy a game that they have no intention of playing just to get the related TF2 item.

So, if you want this game to make more money for Double Fine, then yes, have a TF2 item associated with it.

So sad, but true. Though I feel a certain point was hit where I would just sigh and lament the state of TF2 a little more every time a new cross-promotion was introduced. I still felt compelled to own the item though... damned carrots on sticks.

I thought it was a missed opportunity that Double Fine didn't add a Matryoshka doll TF2 hat to the release of Stacking on Steam.

So I would like to see it for DFA and other future games on Steam (Iron Brigade I'm especially looking at you).

Not taking advantage of this makes me think of rejecting an endorsement by Super Mario when doing a Wii game.

I don't see why not? It's one of the many things that won't even be spoken about to us though, not really related to game development and probably mostly up to Valve.

It is going to be on Steam, and it could help introduce some non-adventure fans to the genre.

Then again, I'm not sure how much it helped Sam and Max...

It helped Sam & Max immensely. Those max heads are pretty much TF2 currency now worth about $50 a pop I believe. I sure would like a deal made with Steam, but I don't know how that all works... Maybe they would be willing to accommodate something because it's a new and revolutionary type of game/release. Seems like the kind of thing Gaben would get behind. Hope it works out. TF2 is my main squeeze besides adventure games, so perhaps I am a bit biased, but I'd love a special hat or in-game TF2 item.

What about a steam workshop contest for the backers?

Backers submit items, they get voted and the winner is the official DFA item for TF2

What about a steam workshop contest for the backers?

Backers submit items, they get voted and the winner is the official DFA item for TF2

Given Steam workshop is Valve run and is intended as an open contribution platform I doubt that it could be locked down to specific applicants. That doesn't stop you from producing your own DFA related submission anyway. TF2 could always use another Octopus Hat or Power Squid.

Too many hats that I will never use ever.

Seriously all my TF2 stuff is just gathering dust in my inventory.

The whole "PRE-PURCHASE AND GET THIS HERE SILLY HAT" thing is mostly for (from what I can see) small companies to get a boost in money by getting the game sold just because there is a sizable group of people who will just buy the game just for that hat and never play that game. It would be simpler to just have a official DF account in workshop and put out a hat or whatever for all to have for free instead of doing this tactic.

I don't see a need for a TF2 item, and makes DFA look reliant on something else for sales. Which really clashes with the current independent vibe.

Though I have to admit, I'd strangle a kitten to get an item that makes the heavy look like Tim or Ron.

I'm happy enough with my Max Hat! Just wish people would stop trying to add me to trade for it, NO, YOU JUST WANT IT TO COMPLETE YOUR HAT COLLECTION, I'M AN ACTUAL FAN, GET LOST!

I have never gotten one of those promotional Team Fortress items. and I want one.

Badly.

So for that reason alone, yes.

An EXCLUSIVE TF2 item for backers?!??!! HELL YES!!! That would be sooooooo AWESOME!!!

An EXCLUSIVE TF2 item for backers?!??!! HELL YES!!! That would be sooooooo AWESOME!!!

While that would be cool, I wouldn't see that happening, and that would defeat the purpose of trying to get more sales.

You mean the game that watered down Team Fortress Classic and turned it into a cartoon, and then later a Zynga-esque hat simulator?

Yeah sure, make a team. Why not?

Sure, but they should make it only for backers and preorders so that we can all make a mint selling the hats. Like the Max Severed Head hat!

Sign in to follow this