Double Fine Action Forums

Curses...now I'm hungry and it's 4 in the morning with no pancake places open...time to break out the frying pan and batter.

Curses...now I'm hungry and it's 4 in the morning with no pancake places open...time to break out the frying pan and batter.

Wonderful! Do send pictures before you eat them (not after please, that's not appealing)

$15 in the past is more than $15 now and even less than $15 in future it's simple concept of time value of money.

Letting people preorder makes kickstarter backers get same thing, but pay more for it.

You are missing one thing - price for a game isn't constant. You will have to pay more than 15$ for a game in the future.

You pancake people are wonderful!

To me (a Swede), the difference between crepes and regular pancakes is that the crepes are filled. In our family, we've occasionally turned left-over pancakes into crepes by filling them with mushroom sauce or leftover Bolognese, sprinkling grated cheese on top and put them in the oven. I seem to recall that real French crepes have a slightly different mix of ingredients, though.

Another great variation on the pancake theme is what we in Sweden call ugnspannkaka - "oven pancake". Pour the pancake batter in a roasting pan (terms translated aided by Google Translate, so I'm not certain if they're the right words) instead of baking them on the stove. Plain oven pancake is easy, but to make it really tasty, add some onions, bacon and squash.

I am certainly all for this! I might pre-order a copy for my sister considering adventure games are the only video games I can get her to play.

PS: Any German pancake fans here?

german-pancake.jpg?9d7bd4

EDIT: Is it possible we could do pre-orders through Amazon Payments too? Like the Kickstarter? I don't have a PayPal >.>

You are missing one thing - price for a game isn't constant. You will have to pay more than 15$ for a game in the future.

But for forseeable future preorder price is going to be constant and this is what I'm refering to. More important factor that I ommited is value of bonuses over the time (that is - it's more valuable to get access to the forums earlier), but in my opinion the difference in their value at current time is negligible in comparison to changes in the value of money. This may change when beta starts, but before beta, ones that cashed in earilier are charged in fact more for same thing, which should actually be other way around - initial founders should be privileged group.

To me (a Swede), the difference between crepes and regular pancakes is that the crepes are filled. In our family, we've occasionally turned left-over pancakes into crepes by filling them with mushroom sauce or leftover Bolognese, sprinkling grated cheese on top and put them in the oven. I seem to recall that real French crepes have a slightly different mix of ingredients, though.

That's what I love in international forums! The pancake casserole sounds delicious, I must try it one day!

But I'm not sure if I understand your difference between pancakes and crepes... Do you eat pancakes without anything, or stuff them with... stuff to obtain a crepe? Care to explain more? Possibly with delicious images... ;P

Never heard of it before but I think I'm a fan. Big fan :D

I was in Sweden several times and I never knew that. In that case I have to find an opportunity to get there again. The weather is getting better for this purpose too.

Never heard of it before but I think I'm a fan. Big fan :D

Isn't Etienne a fan too?

That's what I love in international forums! The pancake casserole sounds delicious, I must try it one day!

But I'm not sure if I understand your difference between pancakes and crepes... Do you eat pancakes without anything, or stuff them with... stuff to obtain a crepe? Care to explain more? Possibly with delicious images... ;P

Sorry, don't have any images readily at hand, but in Sweden pancakes are normally not filled with anything. They're traditionally baked really thin and are eaten with jam (strawberry is the most common variety), served as a dessert after a meal of soup.

I'd remind all you pancake people that - not only are you being rude and burying legitimate discussion on this topic, but you're also breaking the DFAF rules.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewannounce/164_36/

Don’t post stupid junk. For instance: Short, one word, meaningless posts. Multiple, repeated posts. Posts that say nothing. Posts that mean nothing. Posts that no one wants to read. Posts that say, “First post!” Irrelevant posts.

I didn't expect official response over the weekend, but I kind of hoped this would be addressed today. The thread has taken a silly (but much needed fun) turn, but some response to the issue sure would be nice

I'd remind all you pancake people that - not only are you being rude and burying legitimate discussion on this topic, but you're also breaking the DFAF rules.

Don’t post stupid junk. For instance: Short, one word, meaningless posts. Multiple, repeated posts. Posts that say nothing. Posts that mean nothing. Posts that no one wants to read. Posts that say, “First post!” Irrelevant posts.

I think you are the one being rude, it seems to me that a lot of people like the pancakes. That one guy from sweden seemed to have some nostalgic memories triggered and made him happy, whats wrong with that?

I will concede it is off topic, but calling it stupid is well, uncalled for.

^^ check.

I'm actually sort of confused and bothered by this legitimate discussion being buried under the pancake/crepe stuff.

I don't know if there's a chance of DF actually spending the time to read through these threads, but the pancakes certainly don't help the chance of our voices being heard.

--- On the other hand, if it was your intent to bury the dissenting opinions on this topic, we can all happily prepare the pancake nukes for a topic you care about.

pancakes_with_nuclear_explosion.jpg

I'm fine with Double Fine taking pre-orders and allowing access to the forums.

The preorders are more support for the company and helps ensure they will be around for a long time.

I love to see the interest in this game, this company and the whole Kick Starter campaign.

What it is doing so far for these games that all of us love so much is beyond words.

Whoa, this debated got pretty heated! And then turned into something delicious. We're taking this feedback and still discussing it internally. We'll let you know when we settle on a plan! WE JUST WANT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY!

makes sense, If they want to pay to be part of this project and support it, than they're already on of us in my book.

Whoa, this debated got pretty heated! And then turned into something delicious. We're taking this feedback and still discussing it internally. We'll let you know when we settle on a plan! WE JUST WANT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY!

Sorry Greg, though it is probably best to learn this lesson early on in this project, no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy.

But I still am! :)

Sorry guys, I'm a late-comer to the debate. Allowing pre-orders seems fine to me. However, is there a point at which offering $15 pre-sales means missing $30 or $40 sales after release? We do want Double Fine to keep making games (and we're still waiting to see how these multi-million-dollar Kickstarter projects pan out).

Thanks for an update Greg, really glad to see it's still being discussed... Think there's a lot of happiness-for-everyone-suggestions of various shapes and sizes hidden in comments of these 16 crazy pages.

I kinda agree that, while probably well-meaning (I assume it was an attempt to lighten the mood), the pancake diversion is counter-productive. New discussions are for new threads.

I promise to stop harping on after this post, as I've already offered my perspective in the various threads about this, but I'm honestly still incredulous that there is debate. It seems obvious that the project, community and Double Fine can only benefit from more support and interest, and it would be a nice gesture for all of us to place the growth of the project first. Double Fine have in my experience been cool about everything at all times, so please lets not bring their integrity into question or hold this project back just to be a stickler for rules (which I can understand) or to uphold some kind of "I was here first" elitism (which I cannot). I'm not making accusations, but some perspectives have come across that way. We can't even TELL the difference between a new face on the forums who pre-ordered, and a kickstarter backer who has been silent on the forums so far.

My plea is for us to put this behind us and support the growth of the project above all else. Why are we here if not to support it?

I kinda agree that, while probably well-meaning (I assume it was an attempt to lighten the mood), the pancake diversion is counter-productive. New discussions are for new threads.

Yes, this thread has been pancaked.

In my view the purpose was indeed to lighten the mood, it desperately needed a lighter approach. However, I would also argue that the thread was counterproductive long before pancakes came along. So pancakes improved it in this case. Be honest, did you really get a fresh perspective from any of the last posts?

I do hope others will take it in the spirit in which this was done, and maybe now that DF finally responded we know they are considering something different and we can discuss this once we know their new plan.

Oh, and what pancake did you find most appealing? :cheese:

Sorry guys, I'm a late-comer to the debate. Allowing pre-orders seems fine to me. However, is there a point at which offering $15 pre-sales means missing $30 or $40 sales after release?

I don't think the game's final price will be more than $20 and if sold through Steam, Valve takes their cut, so DF would be left with around $15 anyways. The thing we have to remember is that because the game will be self-published, all the money will be going to DF without a publisher taking a cut. Therefore I'm all in for them to let people pre-order the game through their site, because that would give them more funds to make an even more awesome game.

As one who posted my delicious opinion on things, I want to say that I wasn't trying to hide the discussion, of course anyone can still speak out if they feel there are still things left unsaid. However, we also have a heated minority feeling snubbed not only by double fine, but some feel that way by their fellow backers, it HAS been heated. That kind of heat can sap an otherwise energized group that elsewise unified by their excitement for this project.

Being jovial for me was only intended to lighten the mood, in that way my post - however inapposite seeming - was intended to have meaning. Namely, a simple reminder that despite heated disagreements, we all like to smile. I understand seeing this and thinking people are trying to drown your voice in nonsense, but it's not how I intended it. In fact, I bet just a bit of medicinal silly might feel nice if you or anyone is feeling bothered by this issue. If you aren't interested though, I hope at least you are less offended knowing my intentions.

So you are going to post all of your delicious pancake recipes?