Double Fine Action Forums

Wow, so this is still going on, huh?

This just in: People's feelings get hurt on the Internet. Much complaining ensues (from all sides).

I'm not saying no one had a point, like, 15 pages ago, but what's done is done. Instead of everyone still being all butthurt about it, try and enjoy yourselves, OK?

I knew there was a reason why I seldom read web forums or youtube comments...

This just in: People's feelings get hurt on the Internet. Much complaining ensues (from all sides).

Sounds like an onion headline :P

We just don't like to give one another the last word :roll:

Don't worry, I'll find a boxed copy... someone somewhere needs a kidney.

[...], but what's done is done.

The discussion is now (mostly/also) about opening up all reward tiers for slacker backers. This discussion is also taking place in at least one other thread. When the discussions about opening up all reward tiers started, the pre-episode 2 video with Tim's statement about slacker backers had already been released. I think it's safe to say that at least one person from DF knows about the new discussions. As far as I know, after the release of aforementioned video, nobody from DF has stated something like: "Hi folks, we won't open up all reward tiers." (Which would be very easy to do.) All things considered, it makes at least some sense that this discussion is still going.

I don't think they promised not to sell boxed copies at all. All they need to do is use a different box.

-Edit- This is a dead topic, It looks like DF has decided not to extend the other tiers of the campaign.

c'est la vie

Well, I've kept quiet all the way, but I just want to say that I was in two minds about allowing late access to the beta. On the one hand, the kickstarter said exclusive and exclusive is pretty clear cut - why should some Johnny-come-lately be able to join the party late. On the other hand, there were a lot of people who, through no fault of their own could not back the project and I thought that they should be able to enjoy the same things as the rest of us blessed with being able to show our support. They would if they could have done, but they couldn't. The extra money generated would also benefit Double Fine and also the game.

I'm afraid the same argument also works for the rest of the remaining reward tiers - if exclusive doesn't mean kickstarter only, then there is no difference between those who would have bought at the higher tier, but were unable to due to no fault of their own.

This whole thing has me worried about the way things are going and I think DF have caused major trust issues by even going down the route of 'slacker backers'. They should have never opened up this can of worms by changing the terms of the original deal. There are 87,000 potential beta testers, which should be enough.

Pandora's Box cannot be shut now and this has the potential to fragment the community.

Well, I think the higher tier rewards are nice, but the crucial components for all of us I think are the game, the documentary, and a place to see more development updates and discuss each of those things. Those things are what will make up the vast majority of the DFA experience for nearly all of us. While I totally understand points about the other tiers, and would not feel personally affected either way, I do think it might, potentially, make a much bigger deal of this whole thing to open them all up. Maybe I'm wrong. There is a compromise taking place to open up any tier, so I can understand why Double Fine may prefer to limit it to the most crucial one. That, at least, allows more people in on the essential DFA experience with the minimum amount of backtracking.

If there end up being two boxes it's not much different to how a lot of other games are released. SE boxes are usually limited editions and often people who want one will miss out despite having the money. It's happened to me before. Some people might want to accuse me of being flippant about the higher tiers because I'm getting a SE box or something, but I really do think it's the game, doco and community which are the crucial components here, and everything else is gravy. Believe me, if I could somehow magically solve everyone's concerns by giving up all my >$15tier rewards I would do it in a heartbeat so we could all forget about this and just enjoy the experience that is now open to all of us.

If there is any sense of fragmentation in the community, I think it will be far outweighed by the benefit of allowing the community to grow. I think it would be much worse if there were a lot of fans desiring to support the project and witness development who were excluded from the experience all together. That would create much greater division than can arise purely over who has access to extra merchandise. Again I mean no disrespect to anyone who highly values the higher tier rewards, but they would be meaningless without the existence of the game itself, for instance, so I think it can be objectively said that the $15 tier rewards are the most important. I'm glad that more people can now come and join us, and should Double Fine decide to open all the tiers up I have no problem with that... I'm just making some observations.

I don't think they promised not to sell boxed copies at all. All they need to do is use a different box.

The last thing I want is to hear the special box backers and the plain box backers infighting. Enough segregation, one box only please.

I think they've already said there will be a boxed version, it's just the old-school big-box version which is limited edition.

As I have said in the other thread, if they decide to do something like opening up the other reward tiers they should have an official poll and not do what usually happens in these cases and listen to the loud minority.

As I have said in the other thread, if they decide to do something like opening up the other reward tiers they should have an official poll and not do what usually happens in these cases and listen to the loud minority.

The original poll question should have been even-handed, centering on whether or not to open up all available rewards again for a while. The way it was done unfairly put a large group of voters in a position to open up others reward levels without opening their own (which they obviously do not want to)

Doing what's right and doing what is popular are often two different things.

Ugh, why do I keep on biting on this bait? :roll:

I didn't have any money available to me at the time of the kickstarter, now I could fund it. Just wanted to say thanks :)

Welcome aboard TFB

DF Chris Remo, just now: "[W]e aren’t reopening availability of the physical rewards."

Everyone now knows where they stand.

Edit: icematrix and I have privately agreed to remove these posts because they got a bit ugly and we both regret that. We're cool, now. I apologise for the inconvenience. Normal service will be resumed shortly. :)

-Edit- This is a dead topic, It looks like DF has decided not to extend the other tiers of the campaign.

c'est la vie

Edit: icematrix and I have privately agreed to remove these posts because they got a bit ugly and we both regret that. We're cool, now. I apologise for the inconvenience. Normal service will be resumed shortly. :)

c'est la vie

c'est la vie

Fun pills and sleds all around. Happy days ahead.

Smiles

c'est la vie

Moderators, I BEG you, a decision has been made on this. PLEASE close this topic, I am sooo done beating this dead horse.

But you do realise that you can just stop? It's not that you are obliged to post as long as a thread is open and then a little bit more.

I'd be willing to be that everyone at Double Fine has nicknamed this "The Not With A Ten Foot Pole Thread".

I'd be willing to be that everyone at Double Fine has nicknamed this "The Not With A Ten Foot Pole Thread".

Hey! As a +6 foot Pole I resent that!

EDIT: sorry, incorrect unit. Imperial system leads to so many disappointments...

Hey! As a +6 foot Pole I resent that!

Braggart.

But you do realise that you can just stop? It's not that you are obliged to post as long as a thread is open and then a little bit more.

I could, if you'd stop quoting me

:P