Double Fine Action Forums

Will there be a pre-order deadline though? Since everyone who is for this stresses that more funds will make the game better, that will certainly not be the case if the pre-order is placed a week before the game (and the retail documentary) launches.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with you guys making an early profit, but I would not want those really late to the party given access to these forums and the documentary.

If you make a deadline like, pre-order in 2012 to get access to the backer forum and to make sure your money goes into the development, I'm cool with it. Everyone who orders after this deadline does not get access to the forums (or at least the documentaries), and the money might go into the game, or into Tim's daughter's college fund or wherever.

Just a suggestion...

When I first heard about this idea, I was not expecting such an overwhelmingly positive response. Thanks for restoring some of my faith in humanity, folks.

I also agree that this is fine, it is still more proof that the classic adventure game production is still worth the effort for investors.

In my opinion, anyone who could feel loss of some value in the "Super Duper Secret Society of the Backers" will lose that feeling when the game and documentary is released anyway.

Furthermore although I hope no leaks occur it is really only the physical pledge awards that cannot be copied on the Internet anyway.

I think as long as the physical awards remains limited, no one should be hurt by this decision :)

Will there be a pre-order deadline though? Since everyone who is for this stresses that more funds will make the game better, that will certainly not be the case if the pre-order is placed a week before the game (and the retail documentary) launches.

In the OP it says it would "benefit the studio". Doesn't say anything about it getting invested into the game. I'm not saying it won't, but am surprised how everyone thinks it will. I suppose some of it could be used up to the end for refining and polishing. Maybe adding features that didn't quite make the list originally. But once the financial plan is up you can't just blindly keep pouring money into the project. Err... or at least shouldn't.

Unless you're the Duke. ;)

I don't mind if DF uses less percentage, or none, of the pre-orders for the game. I just wish them all the success (and profit) they can get.

I can understand that the awareness and marketing around the kickstarter was limited, ...

Not sure about limited. We had several reports about it on regular news sites. Like "Spiegel Online", one of the biggest (German) news magazines on the web. :)

Don't care if this extra funding goes to this game or another project (or another adventure game :) ). More money = more games/ingame content.

It's also a good opportunity to buy the steam version for everyone in region where currency exchange rate is 1 USD = 1 EURO.

I'm ok but only if you add voices for other languages (french for me but there're others here). This is a thing for which I may have paid more!

This would not only really benefit the studio...

I'd just like to ask whether the money donated via Paypal will exclusively be spent on the DF Adventure or will it be used for the studio in general?

I wouldn't care if the money went straight into DF's operating budget. If it helps keep the company running, this can never be a bad thing.

Look at it like this, if they offer a pre-order, and the money goes into the game, it eats up profit for them, because those non-KS backers would potentially be buying the game on release. We already had the budget set for the game, and therefore our expectations set, so having that money pumped into the game instead of their bottom line would in IMHO be a little selfish of us.

But as I said earlier, I fully support them doing this whichever route they think is best for them.

Just to clarify my first post: I am all for you guys making a profit from the extra pre-orders backers only. without directly going into the game itself, but I think these forums or at least the documentary should be for the original

EDIT: I should not try to post from my phone...

Sounds like a great idea.

How would we be able to make the world safe for adventure gamers again if we acted like some exclusive club. Viva la DFA pre-orders!

Sounds like a great idea!

Why not allow the new backers to order some of the higher tiers containing electronic content, i.e. $30 and $60???

As said above, no problem for new joiners... but please tells us what you intend to add to the game with additional funds!

I would love to pledge more to get a physical copy sent out. Due my dog hurting it back leg i could only afford to donate the $30, even then it was a scape to put that in (im not looking for sympathy).

I think though it would be unfair to rxisting backers who were under the assumption that you could only get those items if you backed it when the pledge was up. So i will keep dreaming :P

I'm pretty sure it's already been said elsewhere that there will be a non-collector's physical box for the game, and physical copies of the documentary available. So I say, why not pre-orders on those too (though probably at a later date and maybe with funds going back into the company rather than to further game development at that point).

I think that the suggestions there have been about charging slightly more for these pre-orders and time limiting the digital pre-order period so funds for those can go into the development is a good compromise to those who feel pre-orders nullify backer exclusivity. I think there probably should be something to differentiate, otherwise it may hurt future kickstarters ("eh, don't worry about backing in the kickstarter period, there'll be a pre-order for the same price that gets you the same digital access, etc. after KS is over"). I definitely agree that the special physical rewards for backers - T-shirt, collector's box, poster, even the art book (in both digital and hardback versions) - should probably stay bakcer exclusive.

and get mostly same content as we, who pledged more than 100$/€, for less ? I believe the novelty of the kicking was in it's limited foundation. You could just put a Pre-order in first place. But...

I demand we the kickstarters get a tag and a badge of "Superior Master Race" and pre-orderers get a "Dirty Peasant of Master Race", then all is fine by me.

It's alright, I can see how it can be a mixed bag of feelings. We all want best of both options.

I guess I'm in the minority having mixed feelings about this. Some of us did jump in early and didn't have enough cash to chip in for the physical rewards. Personally, while I would have loved to have spared 100, I'm kind of starting a new life somewhere and could only afford the 30. Perhaps a chance to up in reward tier for people who already chipped in?

Though, my desire to feel special is definitely secondary to the game's success. I guess I kinda feel like I chipped in because this was a limited opportunity to make history, and that everyone else would have to wait for the preorder and finished product.

Sorry to be a negative nelly. That is just my 2 cents.

I have no problem with this, the more the merrier. Had a few friends disappointed they weren't able to fund it before, this is sure to cheer them up.

To give my honest opinion, I doubt I would have rushed to contribute to the Kickstarter if I knew I could just buy my way in and get the rewards after the fact. I could see a pre-order simply being for the game, but to give away the documentary, the beta access and the forums seems a bit much.

Either way, I'm obviously in the minority on this one, and I am looking forward to the videos and of course to playing the game. Figured I'd add my opinion while these were still Backer forums :-)

I have no problem, however as some pointed out, it kind destroy a bit of what Kickstarter means.

I think a premium for joining late is good. Let's say... US$19.99. It will also help your studio to get more funding.

I think the $15 should be restricted to the game only.

Not the documentary, no access to the backers forum, no access to the beta.

If you want to keep the respect of your 87,000 backers, this is what should be done (in my opinion).

Thanks!

I have no problem with this, having access to this forum is a privilege and not a right. I am surprised people have problems with this at all.

As someone pointed out, when you pre-order, you are still backing the project, they are still backers in my mind.

It does make me feel a little less special, but more funding for the game sounds awesome!

And I do have a few friends who missed the Kickstarter boat...