Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr List 83

XBLA? PSN? Community Achievements/Trophies?

This may have been brought up before, but I looked back 6 pages and then got bored, so I decided to make a topic. Whatever.

Anyway:

Even though the majority of us get the game on PC for free (because we backed the Kickstarter, but that's semantics):

Who would get it again if it was ported to XBLA or PSN?

I want to throw my hat in the ring and say that I would, even after beating it on PC (eventually).

Here's another idea.

How many people would also pick it up if us backers had a hand in creating and/or naming achievements and trophies for the ports for XBLA and PSN?

I think that's another cool thing to possibly get the community in on even after the game is done and out for release. Another reason to port it and get it out to as many people as possible.

Just an idea. Feel free to add more.

From what I have heard, it costs a considerable amount of money to get a game on XBLA or PSN, so a port to those platforms would probably be something they'd only consider post-launch.

How many people would also pick it up if us backers had a hand in creating and/or naming achievements and trophies for the ports for XBLA and PSN?

This can be done for the STEAM (PC/MAC) version aswell.

as long as they wait until after release, and don't compromise the game to make way for porting, I don't mind, i don't play on my PC that much, but it's going to phones anyway so i can play it on that.

i've double dipped by buying on PC and console for a few Telltale games and the Monkey Island Special Editions, if i had the option to, I'd probably double dip on this (assuming it's good)

I think if we want more adventure game DF need to do the game on XBLA and PSN and Nintendo stuff DS and WII but I really don't know if I will take again the game. Why? Because Monkey Island games I but then in floppy disk, in cdrom after that and the remake in xbla. Then they do the DVD version of the remake and I look back all the box and said to myself no not this time.

So Yes DF need to do a XBLA PSN WII DS version and No I will not buy each one version.

Porting? Point and click on a console? Lol, no thanks.

But achievements, those i like. Not for their value on a personal level but that sometimes, they introduce you to different ways the game can be played. Quirky and extra challenging ways. Those are the achievements that i like.

I'm sorry but the porting of Monkey Island on console sold by a succes. So saying point & click on console would not work it's absurb in my opinion.

I'm sorry but the porting of Monkey Island on console sold by a succes. So saying point & click on console would not work it's absurb in my opinion.

Not saying it wouldn't work. They made rts' work on the console when many said it couldn't be done. Its all about how you design the mechanics. I'm just saying its not for me. I like my adventure games on my pc just like i like my fighting games on my consoles.

To clarify, I by no means meant that the port should launch alongside the PC version of the game. I meant that post-launch a port to XBLA and/or PSN would be great. I am primarily a console gamer nowadays and as such would love to have a version I could play on my TV.

As was stated above, consoles are where most people play and any hope for more adventure games after DFA may indeed lie with a widespread release on the consoles. Hell, DFA could potentially be a Summer of Arcade title in 2013, which would definitely give it the exposure it would need for a console launch - at least enough that could lead to more sales.

The general idea was just a curiosity of how many people might be inclined to buy the game a second time (or third if the iPad version actually happens) should the game get ported to consoles.

As was stated above, consoles are where most people play and any hope for more adventure games after DFA may indeed lie with a widespread release on the consoles.

What do you base that on? Sure, the consoles are king at retail, but for downloadable titles they really aren´t must. For games like this, iOS seems much more important, and they already have that covered. I´m not so sure that we should keep thinking of consoles being that important (while they of course are very important for some games).

Some things to take notice on when discussing console ports:

*Telltale games have struggled badly on consoles, especially on XBLA. I´m sure some clever person will say that it´s about the quality of the game, but they still sold much less on XBLA then on PC.

*Downloadable titles like Super Meat Boy and Dungeon Defenders actually sold quite a lot more on PC then on XBLA, according to their devs.

Sure, you can think of retail releases of old school adventures on consoles being a goal for a proof of the comeback of the genre, but I´m not so sure that we really need that. The first goal should at least be to several releases of games like that, with this kind of modest budget, being released on PC.

IMO the reason why telltale struggled is because most people do have a PC/Mac somewhere and classical adventures usually a lot better on these systems than on console ports. More importantly Adventures usually do not have high requirements, so even if it's a weak PC, you can probably play the game.

@iOS: Although I could see how Adventures for same people can be perfect on a touch pad, for most other ios systems it seems to me like a waste of time. For example playing an Adventure on an iphone feels like watching a great movie in a crowded subway... for many ios applications IMO adventures are not convenient enough, you have to focus too much. I think hidden objects games should work better for iOS systems than adventures.

So I'm perfectly fine with PC/Mac/Linux :)

Achievements and trophies in a classic adventure game seem like a fairly silly proposition. Achievements are basically ways to keep people playing after doing the basic job of completing the game, and adventure games in general just don't have those kinds of mechanics, unless it were a multi-path game like FoA or something.

Achievements and trophies in a classic adventure game seem like a fairly silly proposition. Achievements are basically ways to keep people playing after doing the basic job of completing the game, and adventure games in general just don't have those kinds of mechanics, unless it were a multi-path game like FoA or something.

It still could work. Achievements after successfully completing a chapter, solving a specific puzzle, etc. I, for one, would love Steam achievements for DFA.

Achievement points aren't really any different than a tallied score when it comes down to it, and we can all remember how every single one of Sierra's classic adventure games had one of those.

I, for one, would be thrilled it it were on PSN. Right now, my computer is down to a crappy laptop, so I do pretty much all of my gaming on console. But, considering the financials, I don't expect it to happen, and I'll make this one run on my computer somehow. :P

Achievement points aren't really any different than a tallied score when it comes down to it, and we can all remember how every single one of Sierra's classic adventure games had one of those.

Well, yes they sort of are different. Achievements are traditionally awarded (not always, but often) for doing things outside of the normal gameplay experience. Stuff like collecting absolutely everything, beating the game on a higher difficulty, not taking damage, or some other such thing. I fail to see how beating the game normally is worthy of an 'achievement'.

To me, achievements for an adventure game would make sense for doing something like completing the game in a short amount of time or triggering hidden scenes/dialogue. I get annoyed by achievements that are gotten just by playing the game normally, but I understand that a lot of those exist because some console manufacturers require the games to have a certain number of achievements and they just kind of shoehorn them in so the game can be released on that console.

Sign in to follow this