Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

What if.... DFA was set in the Brütal Legend universe?

Would you like that?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like that?

• Hell yeah!
    • Sure/I don't mind
    • Not particularly
    • NO, NO, NO, NO NOOOOO!
    • It would never happen but I'd love to see something similar.

It would be an interesting concept, the Brütal Legend world was so brilliantly realised, it would be interesting to see, It has elements of mediaeval as well as Sci-Fi, steam punk and other schizo genres that everyone seems to love. It has a sense of humour and awesomeness written all over it, a heavy metal adventure game isn't even without precedent, especially from Tim.

It wouldn't necessarily by Eddie Riggs as the main character, but he could be an NPC or it could be set years before or years after the events of Brütal Legend.

The rights are probably tied up with EA so it's not going to happen but it would be interesting to speculate, so discuss!

Not everyone is into Heavy Metal, one franchise in that universe is more than enough.

and btw the rights are owned by Double Fine not EA.

I think we'd be hard-pressed to find something that EVERYONE was into but I'm also doubtful that this would happen.

I, for one, wouldn't be opposed to seeing more in that universe. I agree, I thought the world was really cool. (even if I don't consider myself a metal head)

I don't think a reference or two to other DF games could really hurt, but being based completely in one of those worlds is perhaps taking it a step too far.

I'm on thekonfuzed's side on this, BL holds a place in my heart but I love Double Fine's ability to make outstanding new IP's in a world with too many sequels so I'd rather see something new from them in this project.

blah blah blah blah blah Brutal Legends good. blah blah blah blah blah original IP. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah obligatory joke / funny reference

Yeah, I would love an adventure set in the Brutal Legend universe as I am a major-league metalhead...but for this project, it's not appropriate. DFA should definitely be an original IP.

If it was set in the Brutal Legend universe I would cry tears of joy for weeks while I throw more and more money at my computer monitor.

There is nothing I want to see more in life (mostly) than another Brutal Legend. Though I would love if this game was set in that universe if I could chose I would much rather see a direct sequel to Brutal Legend and have it very similar to the first.

Keep the Adventure game an original IP, but please make an awesome BL sequel right after.

I wouldn't mind, but I would greatly prefer to see something new.

Also, Double Fine now has the rights to Brutal Legend. Tim confirmed it through his Twitter. Just thought you'd like to know.

2 million is nowhere near enough to create a game and license great metal for it. It wouldn't be a proper Brütal Legend game if it didn't have that fantastic music. It was what the entire game was about!

I'd love to have more Brütal Legends, but it's not going to work for this project, nor any point and click imho.

2 million is nowhere near enough to create a game and license great metal for it. It wouldn't be a proper Brütal Legend game if it didn't have that fantastic music. It was what the entire game was about!

I'd love to have more Brütal Legends, but it's not going to work for this project, nor any point and click imho.

music licensing might be a problem financially, although could be avoided by the score being original heavy metal music, done by an as cheap and talented band as possible, and/or perhaps building in some way to play your own music files, but why don't you think a Brutal Legend PnC would work?

Mostly because Metal is suited to action, and not so much to careful thought, attention to detail and intellectual pursuits. I absolutely adored driving through the Land of Metal in the Druid Plow, wreaking havoc and banging my head where-ever I went. But I doubt the impact will be the same if you are thinking through a tough puzzle and trying to follow a character-driven story, while banging your head to epic Heavy Metal.

Metal isn't cerebral, it's instinctual, it's sweeping. If I have to think with metal on the background, either I listen less to the music, or I'm not thinking entirely straight.

Some metal is cerebral though, and as I said, a heavy metal adventure game isn't without precedent, some of Grim Fandango was unmistakeably "metal" and Full Throttle's full title was "Full Throttle : A Heavy Metal Adventure"

The game could even have Loom style use of a guitar :D, the plot could be related to the advent of cerebral metal such as math metal.

sure the soundtrack of Brutal Legend lent itself to action and a fast pace, but metal is a big genre and there is plenty of slow paced and thoughtful metal sub genres,

Well sure, there are some extremely technical sub genre's of metal, and I agree, quite a large part of it cerebral. But we're talking Brütal Legend, and Brütal Legend featured Brütal Metal. Fast, sweeping, action packed Metal, with only the slightest of excursion into Death(Dethklok is rather simple and straight brutal compared to tech-death) and Black (Cradle of Borgir, Dimmu of Filth) but leaving Doom right out. The general feel I got from Brütal Legend is not appropriate for intellectual pursuit, no matter how much I enjoy intellectual pursuits. And I don't think it would be the Land Of Metal if it didn't have the same feel to it.

While Full Throttle is a heavy metal adventure, it is that mostly because of the biker/metal culture it delves into and I can not remember any tracks (outside of cutscenes) that feature actual metal. Show me an adventure game that had actual brutal metal while puzzle-solving and I might agree with you. :P

And now, I have to go drive the Druid Plow for a while.

Well sure, there are some extremely technical sub genre's of metal, and I agree, quite a large part of it cerebral. But we're talking Brütal Legend, and Brütal Legend featured Brütal Metal. Fast, sweeping, action packed Metal, with only the slightest of excursion into Death(Dethklok is rather simple and straight brutal compared to tech-death) and Black (Cradle of Borgir, Dimmu of Filth) but leaving Doom right out. The general feel I got from Brütal Legend is not appropriate for intellectual pursuit, no matter how much I enjoy intellectual pursuits. And I don't think it would be the Land Of Metal if it didn't have the same feel to it.

While Full Throttle is a heavy metal adventure, it is that mostly because of the biker/metal culture it delves into and I can not remember any tracks (outside of cutscenes) that feature actual metal. Show me an adventure game that had actual brutal metal while puzzle-solving and I might agree with you. :P

And now, I have to go drive the Druid Plow for a while.

I see where you are coming from, I was more thinking along the lines of NOT having metal music playing constantly but just in cut-scenes or whatever, pretty much like Full Throttle. and I love the Brutal Legend universe, I think it was wonderfully conceived and executed, and would love to see it again, I don't think you need non stop metal playing in the background to achieve that. We've already had that game, I think it would be interesting to explore a different part of the Land of Metal, a more mellow, cerebral part, to expand the universe and mythos, it's a big place with plenty of room to have different areas and factions representing more genres of metal.

Do you remember in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when they go to the future and there's kind of ambient guitar solo constantly in the background? I think that kind of thing as the majority of the music for the game would work fine, Ambient Metal as it were.

I think this game should stand alone. As much as I'd like to see another Psychonauts or something in the Grim Fandango world, it it's an entirely new project, it should be in a new world that anyone can enjoy equally.

What if Tim Schafer made another game in the Psychonauts universe instead of Brutal Legend? No Brutal Legend.

What if Tim Schafer made another game in the Psychonauts universe instead of Brutal Legend? No Brutal Legend.

I for one would like that better than BL, but I think this should be something new and shiny. If you try and reference too many old Tim Schafer games, then it may become more of a retrospective, swan song sort of experience, instead of something that appeals to fanboys and casual fans alike.

Sign in to follow this