Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Resistanc3

How much influence should backers have - what do you think? poll

How much influence should we, the backers, have to the final product?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. How much influence should we, the backers, have to the final product?

• We’ve made this happen and should lead the design process.
    • It’s not our adventure but DF should still listen to what we want.
    • I’d like to contribute if given a choice by the developers.
    • I’ve not yet made my mind on this topic.
    • This game is made by Tim, Ron and the DF Team - let them work their magic!

Hi,

I keep wondering on how the Kickstarter backers might influence the final product and want to know what you think about it.

Personally I feel it would be great to contribute with ideas but by no means want to influence the DFA too much.

This is still a game made by an experienced group of people who asked us to contribute via Kickstarter to realize their vision of the game and not to do what the backers want - or am I wrong?

Would be nice to have Tim or Ron or any member of the Team think: Hey that's a great idea! - but it would be terrible to have them think about what I want, maybe even feel pressured to move into a direction that they don't have in mind for the product just to satisfy the community.

But what if the final product is not what the majority of us has hoped for?

Most of the backers have played numerous adventure games for a long long time...maybe we, combined, even know better what is good for the game than the god's of point&click; adventures themselves?

Let me know what you think, I believe in DF to make the right decisions but am really curious to see what the opinions are about this.

There has been a similar poll already, I'll just quote my reply from there:

The backers shouldn't have too much say in what the game should contain (lest we end up with The Homer), but the developers should definitely listen to what the forums don't want in the game. I think the majority of backers are adventure fans and enthusiasts, and are willing to overlook some major flaws in our favourite adventures, so when the entire forum agrees about not wanting something in the game (see the "horrible puzzles we never ever want to see in an adventure game, ever" thread for examples), changing/avoiding it would be a safe bet.

I think we should let Tim and Ron work their magic, but we were promised an element of contribution, and I think they should use the backers for, at the very least, making trivial decisions, say choosing character names from a short-list, or gender of a NPC or colour of a character's boots, maybe even give us the opportunity to pitch dialogue once or twice, but all in all, I trust the game to be designed by the experienced designers, but a little thing every now and then to make the community feel like it's contributing and not just spectating should be important.

Here's the deal. It doesn't matter what influence you think you should have. You get what they give you, and that's it.

I'd say something between "I’d like to contribute if given a choice by the developers." and "This game is made by Tim, Ron and the DF Team - let them work their magic!"

They should do what they want, but some polls or official critique threads when they release early versions would be nice. But yeah, all the other DF and Pre-DF games by Tim schafer were awesome without big input of fans so just let them do what they want :D

I know nothing about making adventure games, barely know how to play them. All I know is that I loved most of Tim's and Ron's games. I have full confidence that "... the game will be great or a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see" ;-) Either way we win!

No I'm sure it will be great!

I'm a very experienced gamer (played many adventures!!!!) and that's why I have finally developed a pretty smart concept for DFA. I'd be disappointed if DF didn't take my concept! But if they used only 4 hours of it, I'd totally be fine with it. I mean, I funded this project. That's the least they can do, right!!

Just kidding. Ooooh this feels so Deja-polled to me :)

I'm a very experienced gamer (played many adventures!!!!) and that's why I have finally developed a pretty smart concept for DFA. I'd be disappointed if DF didn't take my concept! But if they used only 4 hours of it, I'd totally be fine with it. I mean, I funded this project. That's the least they can do, right!!

Just kidding. Ooooh this feels so Deja-polled to me :)

Haha.. I believe you are right Mikej, it's a deja-poll moment.

As a backer I feel entitled to complain loudly on this forum about everything i don't like about the game, and start denigrating polls like:

Have Tim Schafer lost his beard?

Is Tim Schafer now the Uwe Boll of Adventure Games?

If something is not according to my taste.

For me it's their game... But if they need or want for whatever reason input from us, it's ok... it's not like we are not used to voting polls, dont we? hehe

If you watch the recent video update on the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, Brian Fargo puts it really well. They will incorporate input by the backers on the broader elements of the game, but they (as of course do Double Fine) have a team of experts in their field that will craft the game. A second "phase" of input will occur during the beta. This seems like a pretty good approach to me.

I feel that at the moment this argument is somewhat irrelevant. Right now most of the work is in pre-production, brainstorming, and business meetings. We won't have the ability to critique and express our opinions until DF and 2PP show us what they are working on. However, I would really hope that they not only take our opinions into consideration, but also incorporate ideas/concepts that come from the backer forums. I mean, out of all of us on the forums there has to be 1 or 2 good ideas. And DF gets to brag that they not only "listened to fan feedback" but also included the fans in a more meaningful way.

My money was given to make a game free from the hands of a nit-picky publisher, and as such I want the developers to make their game, on their time table.

Personally, I paid for a game made by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and the other totally awesome folks at Double Fine; not one made by their fans. I say we sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Unless we are asked to do otherwise. This is Double Fine's baby, what they say goes without question. In my opinion. :)

hmmm... if I choose option #5 it means I'm telling them what to do (do NOT ask backers).

So option #3 is a promise to DFA that they get the biggest freedom.

The purpose of Kickstarter is giving these amazing industry people the freedom to make a game without being subjected to the constraints of shareholders. I don't want us to become the new kind of shareholders, so I don't think we should meddle too much.

Ideally, for me, they'd do things the way Brian Fargo is on his Wasteland 2 project - relying on feedback only for very high level ideas. For example, the community shot down Fargo's "social features" idea, and it's since been canned. That sort of general feedback on the "direction" a project should go in is reasonable, but any more than that and we could end up in a "too many cooks" situation, and the "broth will be spoiled."

Just my 2 cents.

I miss one option.

- Interaction without promises or obligations: we exchange ideas and opinions On The forums, while double fine lurks and feels inspired and uses whatever they want.

This is reality and The best option

- Interaction without promises or obligations: we exchange ideas and opinions On The forums, while double fine lurks and feels inspired and uses whatever they want.

I thought this was to be the case in the first place? By default?

Until there's some official DF comment on the subject, people will speculate how much input we'll have on the project. Personally, I'm just here for the roller coaster ride and to play a sweet adventure game at the end.

Until there's some official DF comment on the subject, people will speculate how much input we'll have on the project. Personally, I'm just here for the roller coaster ride and to play a sweet adventure game at the end.

We know their original intent: we get to see how the sausage gets made + the developers will ask what we think about concept art and things like the music.

Whether or not that has changed I don't know.

Anyway, here's some info on the matter:

W7eoYd0BKOY

Ok, thanks for participating...so even here most of the folks want to sit back and enjoy the show. I take it only a few of the 87000 backers are active in the forum, hence the vast majority is waiting for emails from Tim anyway. It's a little surprising for me to be honest...I thought many who actually go into the forum want to be closer to the production.

But I guess most of you are just like me: curious :)

The kickstarter campaign was such a huge success - the game must be one as well!

On my end I somehow feel the pressure growing within DF to deliver something awesome. Guess they are happy not all the backers storm the forum and demand something ;)

If they ask for our input then I'll give it otherwise I feel confident in Tim and Ron to lead hits game in a good direction.

All I want, and the way I think it will work anyway, is for Double Fine to have absolute control and decision making power over everything, but to get some food for thought from the forums if and when they're hungry.

I'll give feedback if they want some community help with something, otherwise I'll let the experts handle creating the game.

Sign in to follow this