Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ohnhai

Pixel art design comp . DFA backers I need your help!

I really wouldn't normally do this (signatures are fine but direct posts are a little off) but there is an 8-bit Design contest over at Deviant Art .

The idea is to do a stunning hoodie design that evokes the 80s-90s pixel art gaming era.

I actually think I stand a reasonable chance of winning, so I need all the views and votes I can get. (I wouldn't be asking if i didn't think i had a REALY strong chance)

Please could I ask my fellow backers of DFA to fire up their clicking finger and at the very least check the image out. If you like, please vote (by clicking the 'I'd wear this button') and then tell all your friends (....too much?)

Link Removed, thread closed. No personal advertising threads. -DFJustin

EDIT: turns out since I posted this the voting has closed (hows that for lousy timing....)

yours Stephen 'Ohnhai' Rushbrook

Not a backer, but I will help you out anyway. I just can't seem to find the I would wear this button.

EDIT: I clicked the little love face under the picture. Is that how you vote?

It's really nice, though I liked the Dungeon Spectrum design even more (except for the hoodie color - you could've picked a better one ;] )

With a cash prize of $1500, I'd say it's a little bit more than a popularity contest

Ummm... isn't anything where people have to vote on there favorite thing or person a popularity contest?

EDIT: I still have no idea if I actually voted for this btw.

I think it's a member's only thing. So... kind of? But its also only for the qualifications for the semi-finals. The community votes, then the highest scoring designs get sent to the higher-ups for selecting.

I say it's more than a popularity contest because you don't necessarily have to be good or famous to win. Just ask your friend to click a button and you get your vote. Make a hundred fake e-mails, sign up and vote. And even if one of the semi-finalist's design gets picked, I'll bet more than anything its because they think it'll rake in the most cash in their store. So not exactly "popular"

And you vote if you click the "I'd wear that" button, which I can't for the life of me locate.

Edit: I'm not even sure regular members can even vote. I seriously cannot find this button they're asking people to click

Yo, Ohnhai! Your design is awesome, but none of us can vote for it if we don't know where the button is. Help us out here.

dA says its supposed to be under the "Add to Favorites" button, but it's just the same ol' "Download Image" link for me

Yeah, I don't see it there either. I tried turning off adblock and opening it in IE too, but no luck.

EDIT: I even tried viewing it with the page style off, but it's just not there.

Yeah. The option to hover over the design's thumbnail and click the "I'd wear that" button isn't there either.

Either dA is broken, or they're BSing big time

Yo, Ohnhai! Your design is awesome, but none of us can vote for it if we don't know where the button is. Help us out here.

You need to sign up to deviant art.. But it is free and not spammy.. Worth doing especially if you are an artist.

And thanx for the comments :). It's heart warming.

EDIT..... Actually I think voting has just closed !!!! NOOOOOOO! Thanx for trying anyway..

thanx

That's a shame. I really liked your design, relevant to the theme and well executed.

Some of the other designs were really well done, but had nothing to do with gaming/80s-esque graphics

With a cash prize of $1500, I'd say it's a little bit more than a popularity contest

It's not really about the prize. Those who get the most "friends" to vote for them will win - hence popularity contest.

You mean if you were offered $1500 PLUS a continued percentage of sales from their store, you would only do it because you wanted to validate yourself with the ridiculous amount of friends you have?

Really

It's not really about the prize. Those who get the most "friends" to vote for them will win - hence popularity contest.

you need enough votes to be in the top 100 (qualfying entries - ie comply with the rules and you would be amzed how many dont...) then it goes to the judging where two are picked.

and YES it IS about the prize...

What? Again: I don't care about OP's intentions or needs for validation, neither do i care about prizes. It's like determining which sports club becomes champion by counting which one got the most fans just to sell more T-Shirts. From a competitive standpoint it is pointless.

Addendum: I feel the need to point out that voting systems aren't always like this. Worth1000 for example got a excellent and basically 99% fraud-free system.

Edit:

No offense towards OP intended btw. I feel it sounded somewhat harsh. Your entry is nice, though i heavily disagree with the system that judges it.

Okay, but how else are they supposed to judge the contest then? Because honestly, since this is a "for the community" kind of deal, I honestly can't see any way that would serve as a better judging system that would also involve the community

A panel of neutral judges. Yes, it's tons of work, but that's how it goes, moderating such a open system is even more work, but if they are not willing to put up with the work that comes with it i don't see why they started a competition in the first place. I can see that it's a easy way for marketing, but in my opinion that doesn't make it better, and i rather live in a world where competitions are at least started with the goal of being fair.

As mentioned: Worth1000 is pretty cool.

http://all.worth1000.com/faq#voting_karma

And yes - it does work. The downside is: You need to have many contests on a regular basis for this to work.

Yes, but again, it's a vote to determine what the overall community wants. Why should only a select few judges have so much influence on what the community gets in the end? Why should only a few users have so much power to override the admins decision to sell or not sell an item with one of the entered designs, in their own store?

Yeah, Worth1000 has got a nice system going for them. For them. I don't know if you know how dA normally works, but it's not always contests every day like Worth1000. It's just a site to share art. Yes, it has contests from time to time, but most of those are collaborations with other companies/events, with their own terms and conditions for submitting and voting. This is one of the few contests sponsored by the site itself, with the aim to get general feedback from users, and come up with a new product based on that feedback. Why complicate a simple contest with a judging system like Worth1000s?

Edit: Also you're not doing anything to specify why Worth1000s system is so good and should be used for every contest like this. From what I understand, their site is just to vote on artworks, nothing more nothing less. There are only sometimes money prizes, but otherwise they do it solely for bragging rights. It's for people who like to analyze art in detail. What about Threadless, they're pretty much exactly the contest dA's put up except full time, and with a scoring system up to 5 AND with and extra "I'd wear it!" vote, would you say their voting system should mimic Worth1000s?

What? Again: I don't care about OP's intentions or needs for validation, neither do i care about prizes. It's like determining which sports club becomes champion by counting which one got the most fans just to sell more T-Shirts. From a competitive standpoint it is pointless.

Addendum: I feel the need to point out that voting systems aren't always like this. Worth1000 for example got a excellent and basically 99% fraud-free system.

Edit:

No offense towards OP intended btw. I feel it sounded somewhat harsh. Your entry is nice, though i heavily disagree with the system that judges it.

Actually I'm right up there with you...It privileges early entries (in it for longer and can amass a votes for longer) and it privileges entrants with stupidly engorged readership/followers. However it is the system I have to work within... Basically I just need to make sure I'm in the top 100, then it can be judged on my skill and my design (on which i feel it stands a good chance) this means i've been pimping for voted the last three weeks.. I think I'm in the top 100 but wanted to make certain.

thanx all for at least taking a look (even if i left this too late)

Stephen

Ohnhi where did you learn your pixel art skills? I wish to become a pixel artist myself but there isn't much in the way of tutorials online.

self taught... I started computer art when i was 12 back in 1983 when the Commodore 64 first came out (yes i'm OLD) i quickly got fed up of playing the games that we got with the machine and started programming and designing sprites and character sets firstly on graph paper and then manualy calculating the byte values. then moved up to the basic editors that eventually got released on the C64.

Then I saved up and bought an Amiga 'BatPack' contained batman (movie tie in) newzeland story something else and DeluxePaint 2 and that as they say is history...

Edit:

Actually I'm right up there with you...It privileges early entries (in it for longer and can amass a votes for longer) and it privileges entrants with stupidly engorged readership/followers. However it is the system I have to work within... Basically I just need to make sure I'm in the top 100, then it can be judged on my skill and my design (on which i feel it stands a good chance) this means i've been pimping for voted the last three weeks.. I think I'm in the top 100 but wanted to make certain.

thanx all for at least taking a look (even if i left this too late)

Stephen

So the voting starts as soon as the first entrant is uploaded? That's stupid. They should have made it a deadline that all entrants had to be uploaded by, then allow everyone to vote on it after the deadline. This way is just unfair for anyone who didn't hear about the contest right away or wasn't sure what to design at first.

Take care Ohnhai, i've seen a lot of skill go basically unnoticed in such competitions. I would also be interested in the making process though.

Carl:

I hope we can finish this soon. It was just a short comment about me not liking their vote system, i don't see the big issue? If you say it's out of order and was not particularly helpful i could accept that as a valid point, but at this stage i would have to point out your comments too. Well, let me do that FAQ style, in hopes to clear up any questions left.

Q: What makes the system of W1K good?

A: Because it gives voting power to those that vote fair, and takes it away from those that don't, please don't ask how it works, because it's described in the provided link.

Q: Why should a jury decide?

A: It's not a big deal, they make changes to the community all the time without asking the community first.

Q: But it's not a new feature, it's a community activity! What's the problem with them voting? The thing most would like the best get's made, right?!

A: Because - no. Most people will vote blindly for what they are told to vote for, not for what they would think is better - most will not even look at the competition.

Q: Why should only a few users have so much power to override the admins decision?

A: I never made any statement about who should be on the jury and who not - can be the mod/admin team - could be hired experts etc.

Q: Your argumentation is lacking! You never said why they should use the W1K system, and are you even aware that it wouldn't work?

A: Let me quote myself: "I feel the need to point out that voting systems aren’t always like this." Saying: I just noted that not all voting systems are bad or the same, i did not demand that they should use it, neither did i suggest it would work better for them - i think a jury would be the simplest and maybe also the best solution.

Q: But Thretless does the same, how about that?

A: I'm not familiar with them and can not comment on this.

Q: You don't seem to know dA very well, it’s just a site to share art!

A: According to my profile i was there for 3 years, for probably 2 of that as a paying member.