Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Redphienix

Shock vs Massive Mines

Now I've stayed with the same tactic for a long time and figured I'd like to see some tearing apart and arguing for both sides (no matter how short this gets simplified to in the very first reply, as I expect it will xD)

Shock Mines are my love. Use em all the time and swear by em but when asking others to bring mines I always find myself saying "Massive vs Shock isn't a huge difference, it isn't as big a difference as comparing Ironclad vs Piercing! I say shock, but bring either".

I find the ability just too useful to give up, but whenever I start to say that everyone says "But massive's knockback is almost the EXACT same and it does a lot more damage!" To which I have little comeback other than "Similar, but not exact." *shrugs*

Which is better (to you) and why? Do you swear by Shock with dampeners and some hole punchers stalling? (Shock = permanent stall :D) or do you swear by the immense damage being required to get anywhere (IE: Massive)?

This is more to get some info, I know what I love but I'd like a clear 'one place post' to clean it up for me. Is it dependent on who you are playing with? Is it a one size fits both where shock and massive can both do the exact same job in the long run? Can you really just say one is better or does it depend on if the defense matches the mine? (My mind would guess massive = set and forget/ shock = set and make sure they are slowed and knockback so you can abuse the stall factor)

This is one of those things where it's just so close. Here's the thing, we always play with a scrapper or two (Karlsson w/ Rippers). Because of this setup it's really nice to have Shock so we can scrap on tubes longer since they won't die as fast from the decrease in damage. This strategy has been up for debate and we've tried Massive Mines also with not much of a difference. It might have been better, it might not have been. Like I said, it's very close.

In the strict strategy that you would like to use mines in order to slow Jacobs down, Shock Mines will fair slightly better. But because of the fact that all mine types create some type of delay on a tube anyway, it's not that much better.

So it boils down to what you think is more effective: slightly slowing Jacobs down more or slightly killing Jacobs faster.

I'm going to side with Massive Mines because the damage boost out weighs the shock effect in my opinion. Plus, we used Massive Mines on our perfect Swamp run a couple nights ago and it worked well.

Expected as much from ya ;) That's what I was thinking which is why I posted in the first place. The difference between Ironclad and Piercing is immense in favor of Pierce, but shock vs Massive? It's just too close to matter but I'd still like to hear it all out.

I'm still stuck to saying Shock is my choice, but I've yet to mind when an ally brings massive (which, seeing how I've been scrapper the last long while, massive is what we end up with most of the time anyway)

I used to use shock mines exclusively when the Hospital Survival DLC came out... With the new DLC however, I find the shock mines to be lacking in damage. The shock affect is not worth the extra approx. 500 damage the massive mines deal out. The MM also slow the tubes down dealing a "stun". As the new/old DLC tubes are based around level 15 weapons the shock mines deal so little damage they really don't kill tubes unless fully upgraded.... Sooo.... Why not put down MM's and be able to kill those blitzer waves straight away? Just my preferance... I just don't see the value in shock mines on Mars... I don't think it is close at all. MM's 1000+ damage, SM 500+, fully upgraded. 500 damage is not worth the slightly longer shock effect...IMO...

Shock for fun.

Massive for serious.

But we shouldn't worry about putting too many mines down anyways...so it's not that big a deal ;)

Shock for fun.

Massive for serious.

But we shouldn't worry about putting too many mines down anyways...so it's not that big a deal ;)

LMAO.... No such thing as "too many mines"... No such thing as "too many sniper turrets" either... That's what the ripper trench is for... MOAH scrap please! LOL...

Like someone stated above. With the mars missions using shock seem almost ancient tech since the tubes have loads more health. I'll still use them when I play campaign or for fun but playing for fun doesn't get you level 100 on survival too often.

I'm still saddened that barrel mines get no love.

I love playin with barrels and mortars! Makes big BOOM and then.... It freezes my game.... I know... I know... "Don't put down so many"... I can't help it! I love the explosions! AND.... Then it freezes my game... LOL...

Ha xD Would love to see barrels being useful all the time :D

But hey! Ya can still throw them in the trees on Swamp >:L

I've played with both a great deal and although shock mines were more old fave they really don't seem to do enough damage to make their stun quite worth the lost damage. I love going for the weird underdog weapons, but its just too much of a pain in the ass to build a strategy around maximizing the usefulness of the stun ability for scrap, harvesting, holding the enemy in a kill box etc. for it to really be worth it.

It's like the barrels and mortars. You can if you really put your mind to it make them work well in a few spots by building a big complex strategy around those funky things but in the end the simple efficiency and power of weapons like piercing snipers makes them inferior. I still play the weird weapon because they are fun, but as much as I try to make them the equal of the OP weapons everyone uses they just can't outshine them except in a couple of very limited situations and never for a whole map. The shock mines are like that, although the gap between them and the regular massive mines is much smaller.

I liked shock alot before the dlc came out they were fun........ sad to see tehy suk now :(

Suck is a harsh term seeing how ridiculously easy it is to get to 100 with shock mines, but I'd do anything for a boosted damage shock mine xD

Sign in to follow this