Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frisbyjo

Space Quest Team Reunited - New Game in the Works!

Really thought this deserved it's own thread in this forum.

They haven't announced what they're working on other than a "Space Adventure" and that Gary Owens is likely the narrator.

This is stunning news, since Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe had a decades long+ falling out.... And wow.. just amazing.

Their new companies website is here, with lots of info.

[vimeo]40360917[/vimeo]

I have been waiting for this. These guys will get my money, I won't think twice about it.

Wonders never cease! Leisure Suit Larry is possibly being remade, now we only need Roberta Williams to come out of retirement. :)

Coincidentally, I recently started playing the SQ series again after picking it up on GOG.

This doesn't seem to be gaining momentum as fast as the SQ fans expressed a desire for a new game from these guys.

What gives?

Good thing they didn't start a kickstarter right away.

Well, there's nothing much to spread the word for yet... :)

As far as announcements of something awesome coming, I think it's going at decent speed...

At least they seem to have spent at least a few weeks pulling this together -- some of the stuff on their site is dated from March.. Bodes well for a successful campaign to come.... Hopefully they've watched and learned from the Jane/Larry "message is too complicated" mistakes...

And they've already got Gary Owens to record a bit for them -- that's a good amount of prep work.

[vimeo]40360787[/vimeo]

This doesn't seem to be gaining momentum as fast as the SQ fans expressed a desire for a new game from these guys.

What gives?

what do you mean? what reaction did you expect when the kickstarter and details arent out yet?

What gives?

what do you mean? what reaction did you expect when the kickstarter and details arent out yet?

Based on the fan discussion over the years, I sort of expected this announcement to balloon up threads as soon as it was announced.

Word of mouth is not immediate. Whatever the case, it's true they should wait a bit, people have complained they don't have a budget to support that many games. They can get started on concepts and share it with the fans while timing their kickstart.

Oh and thanks again Tim for inventing a time machine!

Wow, this really is the year of the return of the point&click;, and there's no denying Double Fine's role in it. I hope as many people as possible are able to drum up interest in new IP rather than too many remakes and sequels.

This seems a little suspect. I thought Scott Murphy hated Mark Crowe's guts? Is this a remarriage of expediency?

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/interviews/234/

"Would I want to work with Mark again? No, I don't think so. As I learned the hard way, Mark was not a very good partner in the long run. When he decided to go to Sierra's Dynamix division, he didn't have the decency to tell me he was leaving until we were headed to Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show. The only reason he told me then was that I was inevitably going to see him talking with Dynamix management personnel about the move while we were out there. I lost a lot of respect for him, and then lost more when I learned some other things about him a couple of years later from people I am not at liberty to name who made me understand that he had loyalty to only himself. I was really bummed to learn what he was really like, or what he'd become.

When we worked on the games together and did interviews I would compliment him to the media about how great he was at what he could do with a few pixels, that he was the best in the business, but never in my memory did ever say a single good thing about what I did, and I spent a hell of a lot more time on the games than he did, not to mention the VAST majority of the writing. I was very disillusioned with him for that."

Yeah, this reunion is very surprising. I'm not at all surprised to see Scott Murphy jumping on this bandwagon as he's been living in exile and wishing to do a new adventure for years, but I never thought I'd see him work with Mark again.

Exciting though. Space Quest was my favorite adventure series, I've played every one of them to completion. It's a shame they won't have access to the SQ brand or characters, but I'm not worried about them coming up with a new protagonist. After six games (including a pretty iffy sixth that neither Mark nor Scott can be truly blamed for), it's maybe just as well they start a new story.

This seems a little suspect. I thought Scott Murphy hated Mark Crowe's guts? Is this a remarriage of expediency?

People can forgive and forget, part of being an adult. They worked well together for a long time so the chemistry is there. If they are both being mature about their past differences then I see no problem.

After six games (including a pretty iffy sixth that neither Mark nor Scott can be truly blamed for), it's maybe just as well they start a new story.

What's so iffy about 6? It was the only one I ever played as a kid and I thought it was pretty cool.

Here! Take my money!!

Thanks for the post. It's good to know that more of the old adventure games are getting a re-boot now.

During their initial heyday they did start getting a bit worn as they were basically recycling the same old stuff (Or in the case of Kings Quest 8 completely going off the rails...). But after a good 10-15 years and a lot of advancements in both the market and the technology it will be great to see what can be done with these old classics.

"Would I want to work with Mark again? No, I don't think so. As I learned the hard way, Mark was not a very good partner in the long run. When he decided to go to Sierra's Dynamix division, he didn't have the decency to tell me he was leaving until we were headed to Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show. The only reason he told me then was that I was inevitably going to see him talking with Dynamix management personnel about the move while we were out there. I lost a lot of respect for him, and then lost more when I learned some other things about him a couple of years later from people I am not at liberty to name who made me understand that he had loyalty to only himself. I was really bummed to learn what he was really like, or what he'd become.

When we worked on the games together and did interviews I would compliment him to the media about how great he was at what he could do with a few pixels, that he was the best in the business, but never in my memory did ever say a single good thing about what I did, and I spent a hell of a lot more time on the games than he did, not to mention the VAST majority of the writing. I was very disillusioned with him for that."

For me that would explain the weird energy between those two! The campaign IMO works well so far but somehow I also doubt these issues are off the table. Could be strictly business (but of course maybe I'm completely wrong and everythings fine now - wouldn't be the first time that people change and/or forgive). But since the combination has worked well in the past DESPITE huge issues, I trust they can do it again and if it's only for one game that could be neat. After all they definitely need kickstarting and this will work a lot better together than alone. Plus they don't necessarily have to like each other to make a good game as long as responsibilities are definite and everyone has his territory (it's not an ideal situation but I think it can work well enough for a while...).

After six games (including a pretty iffy sixth that neither Mark nor Scott can be truly blamed for), it's maybe just as well they start a new story.

What's so iffy about 6? It was the only one I ever played as a kid and I thought it was pretty cool.

It's just not as good as any of the others. So if it's the only one you played, I can get having a more positive opinion, but you should really play the others. Even the early text parser ones, dated as they are, hold up better than 6.

1) The puzzles weren't well designed

2) The tone of the writing was different/cheesy

3) It was a lot of cornball pop culture references, where SQ 1-4 had this great sort of Buck Rogers or 1930s pulp sci-fi novel vibe rather than a cliche Star Trek/Star Wars thing.

4) Some badly designed puzzles

It just wasn't the same. Play Space Quest III or IV some time.

Really don't think this feels like a "money heals all wounds" or a "compromise of convenience" type situation.

I imagine they've both gotten older, and time heals wounds -- and I'm sure the fact that they're able to put all those 90s arguments to rest in some way by making a new game is a great relief to both of them. I always imagined the Sierra breakup and that-level of intense two-people team-work on a game for 3 years led to some pretty intense family-like quarrels.. This is just another one of those.

So whatever the circumstances, that are making this possible (doesn't seem like we know it's Kickstarter yet).. I'm blown away that these two are together and up for it. Amazing.

The best news about this is that there will be a new S P A C E adventure.

The best (S P A C E) adventure so far was The Dig and as for S P A C E adventures then there long comes nothing and by long i mean really long such as distances between different solar systems measured in light years. So, these are good news if they design a great S P A C E adventure. I really hope that all these projects are aware of that this is about quality and convincing games as well and not only about riding some nostalgia trip because otherwise it won't last very long.

There is so much S P A C E in our world, especially our baryonic one, that a few great S P A C E adventures for sure won't hurt.

The best space adventure so far was The Dig, just like the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon so far was eating shards of broken glass.

The best space adventure so far was The Dig, just like the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon so far was eating shards of broken glass.

If that's the same taumel from the TTG forums, then he's probably trolling.

Yay for Adventure Games! Yeah, I did find this news really interesting not only being a big Space Quest fan, but also that Scott and Mark were able to make amends with each other. That's really the coolest part I think.

Adventure Games Are Not Dead!!

Stars really are in the right alignment this year. Now only if we'd get proper Lytton based Police Quest back with Sonny Bonds.

Sign in to follow this