Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gsm

Hey DF & 2PP staff, introduce yourselves

Hi everyone, I'm David.

I've been a designer on Costume Quest and The Cave and also animated on both projects as well as a few others! I like old things, including old games. And have been known to try to convince people that games of older generations are in fact, not dead!

I thought I would draw up a little pixel duece for you all, here you go! I would animate it, but animation is hard and I only do it when Tim is standing behind me with a big stick he calls the killoznizer... but I'm not aloud to talk about that, else he will hit me with the killoznizer and it hurts :(

Deuce.gif

Hi everyone, I'm David.

I've been a designer on Costume Quest and The Cave and also animated on both projects as well as a few others! I like old things, including old games. And have been known to try to convince people that games of older generations are in fact, not dead!

I thought I would draw up a little pixel duece for you all, here you go! I would animate it, but animation is hard and I only do it when Tim is standing behind me with a big stick he calls the killoznizer... but I'm not aloud to talk about that, else he will hit me with the killoznizer and it hurts :(

Deuce.gif

I just pictured Tim as a cardboard tube samurai.

PS: Nice duece!

My deductive skills have failed me while trying to draw a map. I think one or two posts listing distances to at least three people will be necessary.

On the plus side, I now have a sheet with 30 names and a lot of circles!

Welcome everybody so to the people working on The Cave. How goes it?

Things are great in the Cave!

It is nice to be at a spot in development where you can stand back a bit and see all that you and your teammates have achieved, take a breath, and then keep building on it.

It's also really nice to be able to show and tell your friends what you've been working on other than "Ron's next game".

Oh, and we wrapped a milestone this week so we had a team beer lunch. Yay!

P.S. Here’s a protip I learned while working on Brütal Legend - if you want to type a ‘u’ with an umlaut on it, hold down Alt, type 129 on your numpad, then release Alt. BAM! Look how fast you can make those things! :D!

A live with outmutated vowel's (leo.org) ?

Da horror! I couldn't life a day without my üäö !!

Hey everyone, I'm Matt. I am the Senior Producer on The Cave. I was also the Producer on Iron Brigade and Once Upon a Monster. I sit 6 feet from Jane, 6 feet from JP and 20 feet from Lydia. I don't have a good view of Ben's feet from my desk, but Gabe says they are spectacular.

Don't tell Anna or Laura, but we have been mixing onions into the chili during our DF Ski Trips. muuuuhahahahha

Welcome everybody so to the people working on The Cave. How goes it?

Things are great in the Cave!

It is nice to be at a spot in development where you can stand back a bit and see all that you and your teammates have achieved, take a breath, and then keep building on it.

It's also really nice to be able to show and tell your friends what you've been working on other than "Ron's next game".

Oh, and we wrapped a milestone this week so we had a team beer lunch. Yay!

Beer lunch......hmmmm sounds good

Awesome thread.

I'm amused how it was originally for questions but then the sudden torrent of DF people all replying seems to have overwhelmed everyone :P

Awesome thread.

I'm amused how it was originally for questions but then the sudden torrent of DF people all replying seems to have overwhelmed everyone :P

What I really love about Doublefiners is that everybody is so approachable. Also it seems to be a great work environment. Makes me wish I studied CS just to be able to work there :)

By the way, Brad: are you the one that was on the GiantBomb Quick Look of Trenched?

You know it! :D!

By the way, Brad: are you the one that was on the GiantBomb Quick Look of Trenched?

Oh, and hey, I just remembered that you were in the Apples to Apples Quick Look too. Cool, that must've been a lot of fun (it was to me watching it). I love those GiantBomb guys! I'm not too proud to admit that, in my more daydreamy moments, I fantasize about one day doing a Quick Look over there with my own game. :)

Greetings and salutations, awesome people!

I wish I had more of an introduction, but I'm just happy to be here among both Double Fine's staff and 2 Player Productions. But I've just got questions I want to ask right away.

For 2 Player: Do you guys have some sort of connection to a midi/8bit/16 bit music community or know some of them personally, as you guys seems to get ahold of so much and so many? It's just a pattern I've been enjoying.

For Double Fine: I won't be able to make myself completely clear, but: I know you have a reason for making an adventure game, and I want one or I wouldn't have backed the project, but I've wondered why you'd decide on a genre to build an idea around instead of an idea to build a game (and maybe a different genre) around. Especially when it seems to me like a lot of what makes most games good, applies to other games, regardless of genre, most of which is due to pacing of several curves humoring several interests and emotions: fear, excitement, serenity, (challenges:) reaction, logical thinking, anger (for right reasons), cascading into each other with tense and release. I'm overelaborating, but I hope I'm expanding possible answers and not limiting them.

For Double Fine: I won't be able to make myself completely clear, but: I know you have a reason for making an adventure game, and I want one or I wouldn't have backed the project, but I've wondered why you'd decide on a genre to build an idea around instead of an idea to build a game (and maybe a different genre) around. Especially when it seems to me like a lot of what makes most games good, applies to other games, regardless of genre, most of which is due to pacing of several curves humoring several interests and emotions: fear, excitement, serenity, (challenges:) reaction, logical thinking, anger (for right reasons), cascading into each other with tense and release. I'm overelaborating, but I hope I'm expanding possible answers and not limiting them.

As you (probably) know, Double Fine has made a bunch of different games set in pretty different genres and based around pretty different subject matter! We're interested in exploring lots of different concepts for games, and one of the cool things about how our studio works these days is that we get to do multiple projects at once.

But traditional-style adventure games haven't been among those, because they are so hard to get funded through the normal channels. This means that even if we did start with an emotional concept first, ending up going in an adventure game direction (as opposed to a different direction) wasn't really feasible with the existing models available to us. So if we wanted to make an adventure game about ANYTHING, we had to go down a totally different path--in this case Kickstarter.

That's one factor that led to the somewhat odd situation you describe: announcing the game purely by its genre, and not by its subject matter or setting.

But there's another even more important factor, and that's the documentary. Before it was even decided that this game would be an adventure game, it was decided that it would be accompanied by a documentary showing its entire development process. The documentary was the original idea for the pitch. That means that we couldn't have come up with a setting, story concept, or characters before the game was successfully funded and went into production, because we needed to be able to have all that stuff on tape right from the start. And we couldn't have asked the documentarians to just start filming months ahead of time, because it was possible we wouldn't have actually raised the money they needed to make their movie!

Plus, we wanted to be able to share all the conceptual progress with our backer community along the way (which we've been doing here on the forums), and get all of your feedback, and that also wouldn't have been possible if we had front-loaded the concept.

So that's a long answer, but hopefully a satisfactory one!

Remo! Remo remo remo. Remo? Remo.

That's a great answer, Pokemon Chris Remo, and I think it is important how you clarify the reasons DF pitched a video game solely by genre with no other concepts, features, art, gameplay, or anything to show up front. Given the way you explained it, it makes perfect sense why DF would choose to make a pitch like that, both rhetorically and marketing-wise.

I think the fact that DF was able to make that kind of "empty pitch" and garner so much success from it led various people to believe that doing a similar genre-only or era-only (i.e. "old school") pitch might be enough to work. Reading about DF's kickstarter success at various sites, I see most people credit DF's ability to make such a pitch to their critical success and dedicated fan base, which is surely part of it, but less often do I see people point out how coupling the game with the documentary necessarily means no concepts up front.

tl;dr

I think it's important that DF not only COULD make a pitch with no concepts aside from genre up front, but they NEEDED to make the pitch that way. I think that fact perhaps gets overlooked by a lot of people.

So is Jane the only one with a zombie Patrick contingency plan?

Come on, don't be shy -- share the tales of how you would dismember your coworkers.

Greetings and salutations, awesome people!

I wish I had more of an introduction, but I'm just happy to be here among both Double Fine's staff and 2 Player Productions. But I've just got questions I want to ask right away.

For 2 Player: Do you guys have some sort of connection to a midi/8bit/16 bit music community or know some of them personally, as you guys seems to get ahold of so much and so many? It's just a pattern I've been enjoying.

Hello! To answer your question, 2 Player was founded during our work on the chip music scene in New York City back in 2005. We covered the chip scene for years, and that work led to our first feature film "Reformat the Planet". In every project that came after we tried to retain the spirit of the music that brought us together in the first place.

Oh, and hey, I just remembered that you were in the Apples to Apples Quick Look too. Cool, that must've been a lot of fun (it was to me watching it). I love those GiantBomb guys! I'm not too proud to admit that, in my more daydreamy moments, I fantasize about one day doing a Quick Look over there with my own game. :)

Speaking of GiantBomb and Brad Muir:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-magic-the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2013/17-6260/

(It just wasn't your day, Brad. The cards were stacked against you.)

Oh hi there.

I'm Allison, office assistant, professional look-disgusted-and-be-excited-about-everythinger.

tumblr_m2lrjuzB4A1r350zq.gif

Wait! They pay you to look disgusted? What kind of look of disgust? Like a "I just bit into a moldy kit-kat" disgust? or a "I can't believe what you did to that Canadian flag!" disgust?

Oh hi there.

I'm Allison, office assistant, professional look-disgusted-and-be-excited-about-everythinger.

tumblr_m2lrjuzB4A1r350zq.gif

Wait! They pay you to look disgusted? What kind of look of disgust? Like a "I just bit into a moldy kit-kat" disgust? or a "I can't believe what you did to that Canadian flag!" disgust?

I suspect probably the "Tim's talking about his sausage" kind of disgust.

Hi everyone, I'm David.

Deuce.gif

I was sad that this didn't get animated.

DeuceAnimated.gif

Ok, here is where I think some of the staff that have posted sit in relation to the center of the universe, aka Patrick.

Zky0x.jpg

Wait Gabe needed to be near and outside wall.

JqLQJ.jpg

Well, it's not super accurate, but it's a lot better than I would have expected someone to be able to work up based on our vague posts!

JqLQJ.jpg

Well, it's not super accurate, but it's a lot better than I would have expected someone to be able to work up based on our vague posts!

In that case this is your NEW seating arrangement.

JqLQJ.jpg

Ok then, I think we should leave staff floor plan puzzles out of the Double Fine Adventure Game.

but I have a question, Drew took a photo of Darth Vader and Elvis, which I assumed had been taken from his kitty corner (had to goggle that phrase) across from Patrick, which would make the staff member visible in that photo, the legendary center of the universe Patrick himself. Is this so?

P.S I hope people in the office start calling Patrick the Legendary center of the Universe, or the LCU.

You could say things like, "we will have to consult the LCU on this part of the project", or "I'll meet you over near the LCU".

Ok then, I think we should leave staff floor plan puzzles out of the Double Fine Adventure Game.

but I have a question, Drew took a photo of Darth Vader and Elvis, which I assumed had been taken from his kitty corner (had to goggle that phrase) across from Patrick, which would make the staff member visible in that photo, the legendary center of the universe Patrick himself. Is this so?

P.S I hope people in the office start calling Patrick the Legendary center of the Universe, or the LCU.

You could say things like, "we will have to consult the LCU on this part of the project", or "I'll meet you over near the LCU".

That is he!

Sign in to follow this