Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Oliver

Programming Update #1

...see for example this page and move your mouse around.

The first link it broken I think.

Nope, just move your mouse around. ;)

Now I feel dumb for not, noticing it on the first try(to my defence this wasn't the page I was looking for allegedly) Shouldn't it work the other way around though? Background layers moving slower?

Shouldn't it work the other way around though? Background layers moving slower?

Yes, you're correct. Here's a better example, I think.

What I had imagined was a full dollhouse kind of environment with 2.5D movement across screens or even different levels.

I wasn’t aware of parallel scrolling by terminology but of course I was aware of it by experience since is been done in a lot of games for a long time now.

Too ambitious of an idea influenced by my recent exposure to Fez videos, but now it kinda makes me wish there was an adventure game like that…

Regardless I’d like to see a short video of the robot moving between screens if possible, though this is an early build and don’t know how possible that is.

As for DF going with a new in-house engine instead of licensing one, I think is for the best for future purposes. I would assume that DF will want to make more adventure games after this one and having their own engine that they can tweak and modify as they want could really help with subsequent games.

Neat. I like all these various updates as I am curious how the sausage gets made

Now is redbot going to encounter a blindbot lookout who can tell him where to start getting his yellow beard

Finally, been waiting for an update like this!

I take it you are using textured polygons for the 2D layers then, and calculating parallax scrolling based on the relative Z-coordinates of each said flat layer?

The parallaxing amount is defined by the size of the layer. For example if the background has a width of 1 and the foreground has a width of 2, then it'll be moved so that the edges of the layers line up when the camera is all the way left or right, if that makes sense...?!

As for DF going with a new in-house engine instead of licensing one, I think is for the best for future purposes. I would assume that DF will want to make more adventure games after this one and having their own engine that they can tweak and modify as they want could really help with subsequent games.

That was indeed my first thought. Why license a third-party engine every time you want to make a game (which is fine if you're loaded, I guess) when you can roll your own and release more games in the future without putting more money into something you don't own? More adventure games!

These sorts of engines aren't nearly as complicated as Source or Crytek, for example, so it should be comparatively easy to implement in a reasonable amount of time.

What an exciting update post. This has to give lots of folks hope, fear, excitement and trepidation.

I have one question for DF Oliver...

We're going to get to actually PLAY Redbot's Adventure right? It would be a tasty morsel I'm sure just to experience the engine test. If not our own test if that's impossible, hopefully 2PP can have one of those in between extra episodes be a full playthrough of it?

Obviously, I'd rather the former, or both...

Let's see how much time we have to flesh it out. ;-)

Neat. I like all these various updates as I am curious how the sausage gets made

Now is redbot going to encounter a blindbot lookout who can tell him where to start getting his yellow beard

Of course we would need to have a BEARD bar! :-)

I am also most happy to hear this is getting a new engine. Mostly because of the listed reasons above. My other reasons seem to be a bit presumptuous at this point. ^_^ (New generation SCUMM maybe?)

Thanks for the update Oliver! The more technical details you guys let us see the better. Really looking forward to your next installment!

I'm a bit confused. Everything about the screenshot looks very much 3D to me. From Redbot to the tiles and the pyramid backgrounds, yet you say it's 2D? I can understand how the pyramids can just be a 2D plane, but what about the tiles and Redbot?

I'm a bit confused. Everything about the screenshot looks very much 3D to me. From Redbot to the tiles and the pyramid backgrounds, yet you say it's 2D? I can understand how the pyramids can just be a 2D plane, but what about the tiles and Redbot?

No mystery here... the tiles can just be a 2D image that has been drawn to look like there's perspective? Probably to help test the sprite scaling.

No mystery here... the tiles can just be a 2D image that has been drawn to look like there's perspective? Probably to help test the sprite scaling.

So what about the 3D robot?

Hey Oliver,

I actually remember you from your first appearance, it was in "I can't believe it's not a pointer" series.

Cool update, now we know the game art concept. It's an interesting style but, ... hmmm, be back in a minute

What?! ok, I understand.

As I was saying, it's great seeing info on the engine. Many of us here wondered whether it's going to be in-house development or existing one. Eventually, you will need to provide scripting language for environment behavior, are you planning to do it in Lua?

Most importantly, why isn't Redbot's T-shirt available for sale at the DF shop?

Thanks a lot for these updates, Oliver! A couple of questions for you, if that is okay:

1) What language are you developing in? C++?

2) Are you using openGL? DirectX? Something else entirely?

Hey Oliver!

What language/development suite are you writing the engine prototype in?

- Kevin

Thank you for the information, DF Oliver! Great and interesting read. Looks like you got the preliminary work done very quickly. Looks like it'll be a giant "Placeholder" type of demo. Will this demo also feature "Dialogue Puzzles", as Ron Gilbert calls them?

Keep up the great work, and cannot wait until your next update on your custom engine design!

Conversations between different characters should be authorable as simple linear sequences, in order to achieve fast iteration times.

hi oliver thanks for the post and heads up! is the above a cheeky jab at geeky tech talk or actual info? I cant even tell anymore =) what does it mean please, for daft people like me. does it mean that the engine should be able to interpret regular text documents as dynamic dialog? or what?

edit: didnt wanna clog up the thread more than necessary, so Ill just insert a "thank you for the reply" here! wow youre doing a great job answering all these questions oliver! (if you happen to read this thread from the beginning again, however unlikely)

I really appreciate this update! I'm a software engineer who has done a lot of work with visualization but in a totally different industry. I love this type of stuff, keep up the great work.

This is fascinating stuff. I've always wanted to get an in-depth view of a game's development from the earliest prototype to the finished product, and It's even better that it's a look into the creation of a sort of game I love to play being made by one of my favorite developers.

multiple layers which can parallax

For people who don't know what exactly this means, what the effect is...

...see for example this page and move your mouse around.

See also this Wikipedia article.

I've personally used the Plax jQuery plugin, it's easy to use and works great.

Perhaps this one as well, even though it has nothing to do with computers:

8d4-AUwkKAw

Hi, pretty cool stuff and I also would like to know what language and suite you are using to create the engine.

Also right now you are at the "displaying stuff" (that is the technical term) stage right? Things like verb coins or whatever interface this will use come later?

Also I seem to be having problems seeing images in the site, all I can see is something about registering the domain in image-shack, so if you could upload the image to somewhere else it would be grand since I really would like to see the images, thanks.

Nice, looks like you are definitely starting the engine from scratch from the get go.

Was there any consideration given to using an "off the shelf" engine. If possible I would love of discussion of this decision in the next documentary episode.

Bye :P

Also I seem to be having problems seeing images in the site, all I can see is something about registering the domain in image-shack, so if you could upload the image to somewhere else it would be grand since I really would like to see the images, thanks.

Go to the Image Shack site and make an account there, is free, takes a few seconds and you don’t even have to host anything.

If you’re logged in there you can see the image just fine on this site, I have no idea why that is but I had that problem too recently (elsewhere and today to view this image I had to log in, in Image Shack) and that’s how I fixed it.

If you really, really don’t want to do that for whatever reason however, I guess we have to wait and see if the DF hosts their images on a different similar site, maybe Photobucket or something, or somebody else could upload the picture for people unwilling to register at Image Shack.

As I was saying, it's great seeing info on the engine. Many of us here wondered whether it's going to be in-house development or existing one. Eventually, you will need to provide scripting language for environment behavior, are you planning to do it in Lua?

Most importantly, why isn't Redbot's T-shirt available for sale at the DF shop?

Actually you can already use Lua to script the behavior of things in the environment (e.g. move stuff around).

Hmm... Redbot t-shirts would be awesome indeed! :-)

Sign in to follow this