Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
paultran

Importance of game music and using something like iMUSE

Make sure your game music is well crafted. I reckon in ranking of importance for drawing a player into an adventure and forging an emotional connection, they are:

1. Music

2. Story

3. Art style

4. Game mechanic

But what I really want to talk about is iMUSE - and how feasible is it to get that into DFA. If fellow backers don't know what iMUSE is, it was a brilliant interactive music engine designed and used by Lucasarts in their adventure games back in the 1990s. A good example of its capabilities was in DOTT, when you transitioned from one room to another, or even between characters (Hoagie, Bernard, Laverne), the music theme and accompaniment would smoothly transition. Like if say you were in Nard's time, and switched to Hoagie, the background music doesn't miss a beat while changing to the 'colonial-founding-fathers-times' style. Now I'd love to see this kind of technology being used in DFA. I just hope there's no patents problems....

I'm pretty sure iMUSE is owned by LucasArts, and therefore can't be used.

On the other hand, they patented the technology that makes the transition, not the concept of transition itself... so DoubleFine could just create their own "iMUSE" and use it without any problem.

Music is very very important. It's one of the things I've found particularly impressive in TellTale's ventures, and has been sadly below par on many modern adventures.

That said, iMUSE was, I found, a bit unnecessary. Once you know it's there, it's nice. But to be perfectly honest, I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out.

actually in the modern world you need a sytem more like that of De Blob

here is John taliking about it

if you want to skip the whys an wherefores and see a truly interacive sound system in action click here

Gotta admit, De Blob's music was noticeably well done.

Gotta admit, De Blob's music was noticeably well done.

ive actually found myself plaing the first few level over just to mix up the colour stings... it's like acualy playing music :):P

Of course I would LOVE something as intricate as MI2's use of iMUSE, but it's a lot of work to set that kind of thing up. It's still very possible to achieve really nice transitions and changes with simple cross-fading of compatibly composed pieces of music. Anything on that level or better would be enough for the composer to achieve something that feels smooth and organic as you travel around.

I'm with you on the importance of music, especially in this kind of game. I hope the composer manages to coin something really unique and distinctive (and moody and dripping with atmosphere!) which helps make the experience of playing the game highly memorable and emotionally engaging.

Music in a lot of games annoys me because it's so literal ("oh look, action is happening, cue action packed battle theme! Oh, it's over, cue the tranquil background music again as if nothing happened") when it's real power is in giving a voice to everything that is otherwise unsaid, subtext and so on. For instance, what is the history of this environment? If the environment was a conscious, emotional being, what would it be feeling in light of everything that's happened here? What would the hopes and dreams of the people living here sound like? Music can really bring a world to life and give it heart. It's not just people we can empathize and connect with.

In Black Mirror 3 a sound middleware from Periscope Studios was used to create seamless blends of music adjusted to the current atmosphere. The name is psai and you can see a demonstration on their website.

It's like an advanced system of something like iMUSE, not only allowing to continue the music between rooms but to create several grades of intensity based on the players actions (or what ever happens in game). I.e. if the hero is beeing hunted the developer calls the trigger for setting all the music in every room you can visit to an eerie version. Sure you can do this the normal way with a script and change the music for ever sceney but with psai the intensity can also be controlled by the players actions. It might get louder and faster if the hero spends to much time walking around aimlessly and the hunter approaches. Also musical accents for special situation blend in perfectly into the flow of the music score.

It doesn't need to be composed for a specific scene but can be triggered any time by the player. The middleware makes sure it's played at the right beat. Since Periscope Studio also offers a service as composers they developed a system for composing a score that allows for any amount of intensity levels.

Also I think it's much more suited for action style games Serious Sam it worked great in Black Mirror 3.

if you want to skip the whys an wherefores and see a truly interacive sound system in action click here

Oh, I really like your idea if it can be worked into an adventure game. De Blob had great Music dynamics.

I'm working on a minigame in which I desperately want to use an 8-bit version of Angel of Death by Slayer which plays whilst you try and make the character drink a pint of beer whilst the screen shakes around violently.

I hope we get to hear behind the scenes audio clips of the in-progess music just like DF is going with the visuals.

I loved iMUSE, and I loved hearing about it in the MI2:SE commentary. I would definitely like to see the implementation of something similar in DFA.

Sign in to follow this