Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twil

The Favorite Thread!

Surprised nobody's made this yet. Well, since this part of the forum is dedicated to Psychonauts, why not talk about your favorite things about the game here?

Yes, yes, I know, its a generic thread for pretty much anything nowadays, but hey, it's something new to this board and everyone probably has something they like for some reason and other people may be interested in hearing what they have to say!

Or not.

But whatever! Let's get this started.

ITT, share with us what your favorite things are about Psychonauts! Characters, levels, scenes, bosses, music, etc.! And of course sharing your not-favorites is welcome too.

For me,

Characters: All of em! Each one has something special to them that makes them invulnerable to hate. It's quite amazing. But if I had to narrow it down to favorites(which is kinda hard), I'd have to say it's a big tie between Raz, Lili, Loboto, and Den Mother (I like the crazies).

Level: The Neighborhood(Boyd) and Black Velvetopia are tied. I love the Neighborhood because I just love confusing, twisty levels like that. And I get to hear Steve Blum wherever I go there so I'm not complaining ;D And from an artist's standpoint, Black Velvetopia is just SO gorgeous. One of the best designed levels I've ever seen in a video game. The only level I don't like is Meat Circus, probably because its so damn hard :/

Scene: The intro (since it got me interested in the game in the first place) and "To Promote Niceness", if only for the blood-curdling scream of the one Rainbow Squirt.

Boss: Not really sure...maybe the bull fight. I can easily tell you my least favorite fight: The Acrobat. I'm not sure if you can even qualify that as a "battle" but yeah...I have a huge phobia of water in video games and the fact that the water RISES in this part just makes it all the more terrifying and stressful. Why you do this to me, DF ;_;

Well it is hard for me to reply something of my own since you pretty much nailed my opinion with what you wrote. I guess if I had to say something different, it would be that I actually enjoyed the challenge of Meat Circus in a Ninja Gaiden difficulty sort of way. I didn't particularly care for the Raz vs. Linda underwater portion for some reason. I guess it felt a little odd compared to the rest of the game's battle sequences?

Great idea for a thread btw! I think so many people are here from other psychonauts-grim fandango fan forums where this has been done a thousand times and just didn't get around to it yet.

uh uhm, The feel of getting to know all the charaters as if they were real persons, the humor, the art, the levels, the plot, the atmosphere,... The cutscreens, the loading screens, the interface...

Almost everything :D

My favorite throw-away line is "See you in hell!" when Raz is exploding the birds, and Sasha's my favorite character. I also love the Milkman Conspiracy mind (so twisty! so paranoid! and that level has some of the best lines), but my favorite is probably Linda's. Stomping through a city, flattening some buildings and climbing others, hearing cries of "That was the PUPPY ORPHANAGE!" as you destroy things, the delightful news bulletins, the revolutionaries...I just love it.

Favorite character? Elka and her short-shorts.

Favorite level? Milkman Conspiracy and Lungfishopolis. I don't really like Black Velvetopia, it's original and all that, but I don't like dark (as in literally dark) levels much and I especially don't like the cheapness of the bull.

Boss fight? The final fight. That was just awesome.

My favorite thing about the game? Mmm... Probably the art style. While the whole game was great this is what sets it apart from the pack in my opinion.

And obviously The Neighborhood is my favorite level, easily.

I don't really like Black Velvetopia, it's original and all that, but I don't like dark (as in literally dark) levels much and I especially don't like the cheapness of the bull.

Yeah, the bull was annoying. But after you clear that level and go back, it's nice to admire the artistic aspect of the level, without constantly fearing El Odio. It is, however, hard to navigate since it pretty much all the alleys look the same, save for color.

Favorite Character - Hard to choose, but it's probably Bobby. At first he seems like a generic bully, then you find out he's got issues and a love interest and everything. Plus the Myspace journal antics of all the campers.... ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE SO WELL DEVELOPED.

Favorite Level - Boyd's mind. Because it it the best level in the game.

Favorite Scene - Any of the little cutscenes in Boyd's mind where Raz is all clueless and Boyd gives him snarky and/or cryptic advice. xD

"Hey, where's the door?"

"On the front. Like most refrigerators."

Favorite Boss - Either Megacensor or Kochamara.

My least favorite ANYTHING was the boss battle with that &@%#$ matador from Black Velvetopia. D: I AM NO GOOD AT TELEKINESIS AND THAT BATTLE JUST TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THAT.

Favourite Character(s): I love most of the characters, but I'm gonna say Sasha, Milla, Ford and Raz are the best. Ever. They're fun!

Level: Black Velvetopia, I think. It's just so awesome, visually, and it's fun as hell! I also love the dogs, haha. And the wrestlers!

Scenes: The Intro, of course, is amazing. I also like the climax, where Sasha/Milla/Oleander/Ford and battling at the top of the tower. And its explosion - and Raz and Lili! And it's all just a big bundle of freaking awesome, that scene.

Boss: Uhm. The... Kochamara, I think? I'm nor sure, really.

My least favorite ANYTHING was the boss battle with that &@%#$ matador from Black Velvetopia. D: I AM NO GOOD AT TELEKINESIS AND THAT BATTLE JUST TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THAT.

I'm no expert at telekinesis either, but I had a harder time with the battle against the Oleander/Brain Tank towards the end. Him throwing rocks didn't help much..

My favorite levels were either: The Neighborhood, Black Velvetopia, or Lungfishopolis.

Fav Chars: Lili, Raz, Botd and Vernon

Boss: Jasper (the critic)

Either Black Velvetopia or Lungfishopolis were my favourites. As soon as I realised what was going on I laughed heartily. Then the comments from the Lungfishopo...lians(?) and the news reports kept the laughs coming.

Favorite Character - Elton is my little sailor.

Favorite Level - Milla's mind, because making Raz dance is dun!

Favorite Scene - The video you watch after you win of the campfire and the lovely kiss and D'Artagan in the background.

Favorite Boss - Mega Censor! MY NAME IN YANYANSEN, I LIVE IN WISCONSIN, I WORK AT THE LUMBERYARD THERE!

Favorite Quote-"OH MY GOD, LET'S MAKE OUT!" I know, predictible, but I've used it in real life.

I loved that little bun with the skirt. That was SO CUTE. I bought a bunny stuffed animal and put a skirt on it for that reason.

favorite level: meat circus, crazy hard, crazy cool.

favorite character: four way tie between Raz, The Milkman, Loboto, and Ford Cruller.

Favorite boss fight: the critic (least favorite boss fight: the last one; way, way to easy)

Favorite quote: all of them; how can you choose?

Oh, Psychonauts had so many things I positively LOVED about it. It'd be hard for me to chose, but I'll do my best.

Favorite character: It's a tie between Raz, Mikhail, And Fred, really. I honestly love all the characters. Even all the campers and odd side characters. So brilliantly designed and interesting to interact with. Nee, all of them.

Favorite level: Either Lungfishopolis or Black Velvetopia. Out of all the awesome levels, those two were probably the funnest to play through. Both funny and intreguing, like all the others.

Favorite boss fight: I think maybe Kochamera. Or Jasper. Mainly because of the funny things said during the battle.

Favorite quote:...I...can't choose. All of them brought a grin to my face, or tears to my eyes. Neee, every quote from Psychonauts, please.

Favorite cutscence: Hmm...Maybe after you beat Kochamera, because of that "Brain of a little girl" thing. Always makes me smile. But really all the cutscenes were fun.

Let's just say I loved the entire game. Every last bit of it. xD

There are just too many good things about it to simply list only a few favorites. I loved everything. That's what the game special. I rarely have that kind of feeling with games. It made me feel like a kid again, and I enjoyed that.

Favorite Character- Raz because he rox my sox. If I have a child and it's a boy I'm naming him Razputin without hesitation. And if my wife doesn't agree I'll brain wash her with the excellent game Psychonauts

Fav Lev- Black Velevtopia because it is a gorgeous level and the wrestler guys are hilarious.

Fav Boss- Umm the race in Milla's mind, that totally counts.

Fav Quote- Anything involving the word Pokylope.

Fav scene- The secret scene you can unlock if you reach rank 100 which involves collecting everything. If you haven't seen it then Tim is very dissapointed in you.

Favorite Level: Ohhh man, it has to be "The Milkman Conspiracy" That level was just amazingly done.

Favorite Character: I really liked all of the characters but I have to say I liked the Asylum characters the most oh and Vernon. I don't know why but I found him extremely amusing.

Favorite Boss Battle: Probably El Odio

Favorite Scene: hmmmm, This is a hard one to decide. No wait it have to be the whole Turtle Soup thing.

Favorite Quote: Vernon's "Longest Walk Ever" thing. (Sadly enough I use parts of it in real life at times.)

After giving this more thought, and because someone broke it up into categories, here are some of my favorite things in Psychonauts-

Favorite Level: The Milkman Conspiracy.. with all the other levels that I couldn't pick as second place.

Favorite Character: Razputin. He is the game. He connected me to that world with all those other wonderful and witty characters.

Favorite Boss Battle: The MegaCensor. I liked running around the cube while being chased by a Censor that looks like Sloth from the Goonies.

Favorite Scene: The ending sequence. Raz is now a Psychonaut and not a Psycho-cadet. All that fun paid off nicely. I even think that I heard the Xbox 360 achievement unlock sound even though it wasn't even made yet! It would be nice to have another adventure with Raz and the other Psychonauts to rescue Truman Zanatto someday..

Favorite Quotes:

"Pie-making Wife" G-Man: Although over time, my husband will desire me less, sexually, he will always enjoy my pies.

"Road Crew" G-Man: Look at that woman's breasts. They're large.

Talking about G-man's gun.

Raz: It's fake. I'm worried the other assassins will laugh at me.

"Assassin" G-Man: Shhh... Don't broadcast that fact, they look real.

I don't know who Tommy Tallarico is and it sounds like I don't want to know him based on his lack of intellegence. Really, don't bother explaining who he is. He'd be better off for my not knowing him.

Favorite Level: The Milkman Conspiracy and Sasha's mind

Favorite Character: I love Doogen

Favorite Boss Battle: Lungfish, Linda

Favorite Scene: I like the ones with Bobby, I couldn't help laughing

Favorite Quote: I enjoy the agents who talk about the breasts.

Sign in to follow this