Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Humble Botanicula Bundle

The game certainly looks and sounds beautiful. Looking forward to playing through the rest of it.

Hmm I tried to buy this but the Paypal option doesn't seem to work properly. It asks for my credit card details, but I have a 'regular' paypal account with no credit card associated with it. With previous Humble Bundles, paying from the funds on the account was fine, but not anymore... Guess I'll have to pay through Amazon or wait until a retail release.

Is it in the right currency? You might need to convert it to USD if it's in something else? (just a thought)

Thanks, both to you and the people who contacted me via PM. Logging in to Paypal first, and then clicking the Purchase link on the Humble Bundle site solved it. Either that, or they fixed it in the mean time. Anyway, time to start playing Botanicula :D

I think I´ll buy it later.

Machinarium´s great and good music but Botanicula doesn´t appeal to me.

the humble bundle is so awesome.

Iv played botanicula for a few hours now... its so ridiculously fun and cute... and trippy as hell!!!!!!! It definitely earns a nomination for trippiest game iv ever played.

Also, tim has mentioned machinarium so many times during this campaign that it definitely makes this thread relevant here :)

the humble bundle is so awesome.

Iv played botanicula for a few hours now... its so ridiculously fun and cute... and trippy as hell!!!!!!! It definitely earns a nomination for trippiest game iv ever played.

Also, tim has mentioned machinarium so many times during this campaign that it definitely makes this thread relevant here :)

Especially the room with the tripped out dream sequences. It took me a while to realize you can actually complete all the dreams. The one where you need to run inside a ball was especially hard. The part when the characters each get a wish was pretty trippy as well.

Especially the room with the tripped out dream sequences. It took me a while to realize you can actually complete all the dreams. The one where you need to run inside a ball was especially hard. The part when the characters each get a wish was pretty trippy as well.

What, you can complete all without getting caught by the spiders? I'll have to play it again after I complete the game for the first time!

Botanicula is really awesome in terms of graphics and style, but just as with Machinarium I hope that this isn´t a game that they will draw inspiration from the puzzles from. Botanicula is pure trial&error; without any real logic.

What kind of a game is it? The video made it look like an action game, not an adventure.

Just think of it as a donation to charity. The games don't even matter.

Thinking like this would certainly make me never buy a bundle again. If you're not interested in the games, donate directly to charity, it makes a lot more sense. Buy bundles if you want the games (or a subset of them) or want to support the developers.

What kind of a game is it? The video made it look like an action game, not an adventure.

It´s somewhere between an adventure game, a hidden object game and an interactive book. It´s mostly about you clickin on stuff and awesome things happen. :)

I know exactly what you mean, the teaser trailers make this look exactly like a platformer. But it is not at all, it is a point-and-click exploration adventure game. No action except for some mini-games.

What, you can complete all without getting caught by the spiders? I'll have to play it again after I complete the game for the first time!

I'm pretty sure the only way to end most of the dreams is to get caught by the spiders, although I didn't get 100% so maybe there is a different solution. I only meant that nothing will happen until you figure out how to end the dream. You can always end it early (which I did with the ball one) if you can't figure out how to move forward. The only dream you need to complete is the one that gives you the thing you need to continue playing.

heres an interesting question: suppose the concept of botanicula had been a kickstarter. Would you have been a backer (and how much do you think you mightv supported it by)? And do you think youd be satisfied with the results?

I know exactly what you mean, the teaser trailers make this look exactly like a platformer. But it is not at all, it is a point-and-click exploration adventure game. No action except for some mini-games.

Thanks. I'll try it then. Pity the trailer is misleading.

Great game :)

I love these kind of serendipity based puzzles where the underlying game mechanics changes constantly. But sometimes it felt like I was just moving through the game without having any clue as to what was going on, especially in the beginning.

bought it yesterday and loved it all :)

they are just so nice and simple, and beautiful..

heres an interesting question: suppose the concept of botanicula had been a kickstarter. Would you have been a backer (and how much do you think you mightv supported it by)? And do you think youd be satisfied with the results?

When the developers were still working on Machinarium back in 2009, I got an email from Amanita. They must have sent it to all the people who'd bought Samorost 2 from their site. It said they'd run out of money and were anxious to finish Machinarium. Would I preorder and pay now. YES! I didn't think twice about it. They also offered a special reward, don't remember what. Informal crowd funding and it worked.

So, to answer the question, of course I would support a Kickstarter project if they needed money for Botanicula. But Machinarium was such a huge success that I'd be surprised. I read somewhere that they sold 400,000 copies on Steam alone.

I played Botanicula last weekend. Beautiful, wonderful atmosphere and great fun. But I loved Machinarium even more.

I picked this up over the weekend from GOG.com as opposed to the bundle. It's pretty cute so far, and rubbing me in the same fun zone that Machinarium did. =)

I finally got around to figuring out how to install it on my Ubuntu x64 machine, and now it is good and I will get to play it later today.

I just finished the game. Steam said it took 3,8h. A little bit short, but I enjoyed the few hours. Definite worth the money. Especial when you can decide how much you pay.

I played Botanicula last weekend. Beautiful, wonderful atmosphere and great fun. But I loved Machinarium even more.

Interesting story about the machinarium preorders! I just started playing machinarium for the first time and so far i think im probably going to like it more. But botanicula was definitely a magical experience. I think id be interested in seeing them do crowdsourcing because i really want to see them do a very long game and sounds like all of their games so far have been pretty short. But then even if they got more funding I imagine these games might be the same length still. And regardless of length, they are truly beautiful and genuinely fun games for any amount of funding.

I purchased this bundle also, Botanicula is ridiculously wonderful to play :D very much a piece of art as well as a game, IMHO

I love the humble bundle. I have gotten many of them. Been enjoying machinarium which is one I have been wanting to try. Although I can tell my mind is not as geared for adventure games as it used to be. :-)

Contributed with $15.00

- Developers $10.00

Amanita Design $7.50

Kooky $1.50

Windosill $1.00

- World Land Trust $2.50

- Humble Tip $2.50

I only played 30 min. Botanicula, enought for see that is a great game.

Was anyone as disappointed with Botanicula as I was? Artistically it was a real treat...the visuals were great and the music was top-notch. But the game itself? It was too reminiscent to Samrost for me to get into it...walk around pixel-hunting. The levels were overly big with nothing to do in most of them but try to collect character cards by clicking on various things, and the puzzles...they all came down to "click these things in the correct order." I don't know...I loved Machinarium, but I felt like this was a step backwards.

Was anyone as disappointed with Botanicula as I was? Artistically it was a real treat...the visuals were great and the music was top-notch. But the game itself? It was too reminiscent to Samrost for me to get into it...walk around pixel-hunting. The levels were overly big with nothing to do in most of them but try to collect character cards by clicking on various things, and the puzzles...they all came down to "click these things in the correct order." I don't know...I loved Machinarium, but I felt like this was a step backwards.

I think Botanicula follow the experimental line of Samorost games and so is more intended as a small experience (not a canonical graphic adventure, even if Botanicula is some steps forward in this direction). Machinarium instead is their "big production" and an almost canonical adventure. I like their games in general and loved Machinarium in particular. (Somebody need a Windosill steam code? lol - edit: gone)

This is an awesome bundle. I have been itching to see Kooky ever since it was in pre-production, so this gives me an excuse to go over budget on games this month ;)

Really enjoyed the games in this bundle. For me, it was a lesson in quality over quantity; a short, simple game that engages you and makes a lasting impression can be leaps and bounds better than a massive grind-machine of a game that sucks up endless hours of time with monotonous, repetitive tasks.

I think games put out by major developers these days focus a little too heavily on gameplay time. It's like, if our $50 game doesn't take up 50 hours of our time, our money's been wasted. They never really stop to consider that filler content wastes our time.

But I ramble. Basically, Windosill may have been my favorite game in the bundle, and I beat it in under half an hour, and it made me think.

(Somebody need a Windosill steam code? lol)

I would be very appreciative if you have one spare!

Sign in to follow this