Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silmina

First adventure game you ever played and why?

The first adventure game I ever played was Shadowgate. I used to watch one of my cousins play it, and thought it looked fun xD But by the time I got a chance to play it for myself, I already knew everything to do to beat it... I still wish to this day I had had the chance to figure it all out by myself xD So how did you guys get into adventure gaming? ^^

I am not sure (it was more than 20 years ago after all) but I think it was Gobliiins. It was a birthday present so there is not really a reason why it was the first (i.e. I didn't choose the game).

Oh, I've told this story many times before, so if you know me from other forums, go read another thread already ;)

Back when I was at college (early '90's), I had a computer but only used it for word processing and spreadsheets type stuff needed for my study. As far as I was aware, there were two kinds of games, boring card/board based ones like solitaire/chess/blackjack and shoot-everything-that-moves action games (like Doom and Wolfenstein). I wasn't interested in them at all (though I did sort of like to play this Mahjonggh type game called Eye of the Dragon that was pre-installed on it every now and again).

So I met this guy at school and we got close and he invited me to an evening of playing games at his home. Not expecting much of the evening, I accepted nonetheless and to my big surprise he introduced me to one of the Monkey Island games. He had already finished it and gave me some hints whenever I got stuck. Needless to say, I was hooked and simply had to return for another session after that. :D He has been my husband for over 16 years now and we've been playing adventure games together ever since (anyone recognize my user name?).

:)

IIRC Either Mixed up Mother Goose, Just Grandma and Me (Living Books), or Putt Putt Goes to the Moon.

Would The Oregon Trail and that sort of game be considered an adventure?

My first adventure game was my first PC game (I had a Commodore 64 at home at that time). It was Space Quest II on an IBM PC XT with a monochrome monitor at school (in the only computer course we had in high school).

No need to say that I quickly became an adventure game fan! So I bought Maniac Mansion and Zak Mckracken for the C-64.

Some years later, I bought a PC just to play the other "Quests" from Sierra!

Would The Oregon Trail and that sort of game be considered an adventure?

Not really, though that was one of the first games I ever played as well. The various 'Trail' (Amazon, Yukon, Oregon) games were great.

I honestly don't remember since i got my first three adventure games the same day : a french cd-pack which contained Monkey island 1 and 2 and the french edition of sam and max : hit the road.

It was either Space Quest 1, Police Quest 1 or King's Quest 1. What ever it was, I played it at a schools computer club way back in the 80's

it would have been Monkey Island, because I inherited (as in, she was just getting rid of them she didn't die or anything) a bunch of floppy disc dos and win 3.1 games from my aunt, including MI1 and 2, it must have been around '92 or '93

I think my first (and until now favorite) adventure was "Day of the Tentacle". The reason I played it is simple: I saw it in a "magazined" version (those things they sold many years ago with a game and containing the walkthrough in a magazine) and liked the style of the cover artwork.

Original Monkey Island when it came out on Amiga. I was 8 so my thought process was probably limited to "this looks funny and it has pirates in it".

I remember it fondly. King's Quest III way back in 1987.

My friend and I didn't know what we we're doing at all - but we had so much fun!

We spent hours just walking in and around the Wizard's house, bothering the the animals, pulling out hairs of the cat and feathers from the chickens... I remember we were mindblown by the fact that we could leave the mountaintop and explore the nearby surroundings - and bother the local residents as well!

Space Quest I, Police Quest I, Larry 1 and the excellent Hero's Quest I followed shortly thereafter, and I've been hooked ever since!

scummvm_3_3_9-full.png

I believe it was a pirated copy of the first Larry Leisure Suite back when I was just a little kid.

Shadowgate, though I honestly never got through much of it because I was pretty young when I first opened it on the Mac SE.

Music Chase 1: The Music In Me

music_in_me-large.jpg

Why? Because I was a kid and they made a review of this game between two Saturday morning cartoons.

I was not disappointed: The jokes are hilarious, the animation is pretty good, the puzzles are well designed, and it featured a solid music rhythm game way before Dance Dance Revolution was first released. Plus, a sealed hint book was included for completists. I replayed the game recently and it still holds up, and I was able to notice so many references I couldn't know as a kid. If you can find this game I recommend you give it a try. Too bad it never got a sequel.

Favorite moment: The bird complaining about getting free bread crumbs because that's not a balanced diet.

Weirdest moment: Marijuana plants everywhere in an elementary school. Clicking on them causes pink elephants to appear. Boy 1969 sure was fun times!

"The Guild of Thieves" and "The Pawn", after that Maniac Mansion (all on the C64).

Why? Because those games were available - after MM every single LF (later LA) adventure.

;)

Wonderful times!

I remember playing Indiana Jone and the Fate of Atlantis with my dad.

Why? because I was spending time with dad! Now that I think about it that's awesome!

I remember struggling for the solutions with my dad, well mostly him. Then I re-played when he wasn't home.

The submarine was confusing, and the fights inside the temple were scary, but all the scenes were very memorable.

Good times, I think then the computer ran DOS at the start, and then we had the option to boot to windows 3.1 or something.

I guess to flaunt my dinosaur skin vest...

Adventure and Zork

Both were text adventures but they count and both tied as my first adventure game since I cannot remember which I launched first.

Why? Well there was not a lot of choice back then. In fact I had to pirate these because there was no internet and computer software was so specialized there was no place to actually go and buy it locally. It would actually be 5 years later when 1200 baud modem became affordable which were still more expensive than today's cellphones.

You've been eaten by a grue!

Probably Space Quest 1, 2, or King's Quest 1. Why? Because it was amazing. And I was four. My dad loved them and got me into them. Also remember some Maniac Mansion. Ah the good ol' Tandy 1000.

Playing Maniac Mansion on the NES. I have fond memories of playing that game with my cousins and laughing at the weirdness of it.

I need to pick up a copy sometime.

Sporadically: Curse of Monkey Island, Broken Sword I, King's Quest VII, Grim Fandango.

When I was, what, seven?, my mother would take me with her to her friend's house, where her husband had this awesome upstairs room and all these videogames. It was fancy carpet, dark leather couches and this huge seat and reeked of some expensive cigarettes. Anyway, English isn't my first language, so I could only play through the opening bits with basic understanding and I only got a handful of the jokes, but I was captivated anyway! They lent me the CDs, but those were the days before I knew there was such a thing as walkthroughs on the internet (before Google! using dial-up!), so I just got stuck until I had to return them >.<

Some years (and games!) later, I hunted them down again and played them with a much better grasp on the language, and finished them all.

Man, I was into Adventure games before it was cool! 8D

The Myst must be the first adventure/puzzle game I have played. Did not finish it tough. After that it was Monkey Island 3.

My first adventure game was Shadowgate as well, we went to the game rental store and saw the guys that ran the shop playing it in the back. We asked what the game was and ended up renting it for a good couple weeks. I still go back and play the game every now and then and ALWAYS seem to get stuck on the hell hound.

The game that really got me into the genre was Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. Just like with Shadowgate, my father, brother and I all huddled around the screen playing it for hours on end.

One of the Kings Quest games if I remember correctly but I was young at the time so I don't really remember all that much.

Sign in to follow this