Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silmina

First adventure game you ever played and why?

hmm... I remember playing a demo of The Secret of Monkey Island in the mid 90s at my friend's house. I was like 9 or 10, so I didn't really understand what was going on in the like 20 minutes I played it. I played a demo of Full Throttle at the same friend's house around the same time. His dad was into adventure games and I remember him playing The Dig and Grim Fandango.

The first one I actually played was probably Leisure Suit Larry. lol. I got a copy when I was 10 or 11 (so like late 90s) and just wanted to see some digital boobage.

The first adventure game I played the crap out of and finished multiple times was Quest for Glory 5. I still love that game.

I feel that since I'm only 24, I missed the 'golden age' of adventure games by just a few years. I was a little young to really understand them.

In the past few years, I've really gone back and tried to play through a bunch of them, like Maniac Mansion, both Monkey Island special editions on the 360, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Beneath a Steel Sky, and a couple others.

I really like the genre, especially how few, if any, of the games I've played take themselves very seriously. They're actually funny, which is very refreshing.

Loom!

Someone gave my parents a bunch of games when we got a Sound Blaster for our computer. This happened to be the first one I really played. Still love it!

Maniac Mansion.

It came with the NES along with Super Mario Bros and Kung Fu.

Loved all the different characters but wasn't old enough to understand what was going on and always ended up with everyone locked in the dungeon.

First adventure game I played EVER?

It was one of those text-based MS DOS adventure games when I was really really young. I don't remember much about it, only that you started in a falling airplane and crashed into some sort of castle... I think. I didn't get far in that game, it was too difficult for me.

First adventure game I remember?

It was Curse of Monkey Island. I had beat and re-beat all games for my PC back then and my dad's friend gave me CD 1 of Monkey Island 3 as something "I will not beat". Needless to say, I devoured the game, getting stuck but never giving up (had no internet back then) and I loved that game to BITS. Still do. Unfortunately, I only had CD1 as that man didn't think I'd ever get far enough to need CD2, so I never played Monkey Island 3's CD2.

I'm still hoping for a remake of it!

It would have been The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga. I didn't know what an adventure game was, and I must have been 10 or 11, but I was really captivated by the opening scenes, the music, the dialogue, it was like nothing else I'd seen so I made my Dad buy it for me and never looked back. I think I knew it was something special, because it was the first time where I had that little glimmer of an idea in my head that games weren't just this narrow thing I thought they were, but they could be anything, and about whatever!

Fun fact: Weirdly enough, the guy that showed it to me used to write hints for an Amiga magazine under the pseudonym 'The Boggit', and had loads of free copies of stuff as a result.

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizards.

A bunch of kids from school were playing it and gave me a 'copy'. English is not my first language, and I was just a little kid so it took me hours/days to get past the age questions. I was hooked ever since.

My first adventure was called 'The Quest' by A.D. Ives on the Commodore Vic-20. 'The Quest' was a very difficult game and I kept getting stuck - it was released in 1984, so I must have been about ten. At times I wondered if the game had been finished and whether or not it could be completed (some games of the time were bugged in you couldn't finish them). I gave it a break and then came back to it month after month, but every time I tried I just got stuck until I stopped trying when I upgraded to a Spectrum +3 and discovered Magnetics Scrolls adventures and Infocom games.

About twenty years later I remember 'The Quest' and decided to have a look on the internet for the inevitable complete solution. To my amazement there wasn't one (there is now). I downloaded an emulator and the game and set about mapping it, determined to complete it finally and... got stuck again as exactly the same exploration point - by a beach with an unseaworthy boat on the shore of a sea that you couldn't swim across (no matter how many times I typed 'swim' just on the off chance it would work this time). I eventually, after a lot of blind testing discovered the insane soultion and proceeded to the second half of the game, which was an absolute doddle.

So, my first adventure game took me about twenty years to finish. Even that infocom game with the seperate senses didn't take me that long.

Machinarium. I got it with the second (I think?) Humble Indie Bundle. I'd established myself as a gamer by that point, but I had never played an old-school point-and-click adventure game like that. Then in a Steam sale (God bless and curse them) I bought Monkey Island 1 and 2.

My first adventure game was a game called "Wizard's Castle" on the Commodore pet. All text based. There was also another game where I was an inspector who had to walk around floors of a high rise trying to find a bomb... but can't recall the title of that game...

For me it was The Secret of Monkey Island on Floppy Disk. I remember picking it up at a car boot sale in about 1994 or so. It still had all 6 (I think?) discs intact and the 'dial-a-pirate' wheel in it.

I played the hell out of it and immediately started to look out for games like it and came across Monkey Island 2 in a Blockbusters.

After that, I played any and every LucasArts adventure I could get my hands on (Full Throttle, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle), along with others like Simon the Sorcerer.

It was years later when I went back and played a ton more like Beneath a Steel Sky and Loom.

Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside

Probably one of the first video games I ever beat also.

Pretty unsure if it was Simon The Sorcerer or Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, but most likely the first. With such good games as debut, it was quite obvious for anyone to get addicted to the genre.

The Neverhood

I received it as a gift. It's still one of the best adventure games in the world for me. It also made me hungry for other adventure games and then I've found Day of the Tentacle and then Grim Fandango.

The first Discworld game because I was a massive Terry Pratchett fan. I believe a couple of years before I'd picked up Goblins 3 and Myst because they looked interesting, but my 9 year old brain was utterly baffled by them. Discworld was similarly perplexing/frustrating, but the graphics, excellent voice acting, and my deep and abiding love for the setting kept me at it and a subsequent recommendation to check out Lucas Arts' output got me truly hooked :)

That's a tricky one. I remember messing about with Maniac Mansion on a friends Commodore 64 when I was in early primary school. That might have been the first I tried. The first adventure game that I actually played for any length of time and with some kind of actual understanding as to what I was trying to achieve was Space Quest 3. A harsh mistress that game was.

Back when I was really young, I played Where in Time is Carmen Sandiago, and a bit of those Freddy Fish games.

I really enjoyed both because of their cartoony styles. It was like a cartoon I controlled!

Carmen Sandiago might've gotten me started in my love for history. The level with Leif Ericson was my favorite. Norse people called get-togethers "things"? It blew my mind.

My first adventure game was Loom on a PC. I got stuck at the place where you have to enter the castle, and was unable to finish the game. I bought it recently on steam and figured out that you had to play on expert in order to finish the game. I wish the manual had told me that beforehand.

Spy Fox: Some Assembly Required

All of those Humongous Entertainment adventure games made my childhood awesome :)

Probably Simon the Sorcerer or Grim Fandango, because my older sister was a big fan of adventure games and got me hooked too :D Or Myst as well, which I played through again recently, my 7 year old brain and my brain now understood Myst very differently...

My Grandpa taught me how to play Zork when I was like.. 7 or so. He had an IBM clone that he bought back in 86. It was like 3 grand. hahha

He handed that computer down to me when I was 9, misplaced it around 1999. That thing worked flawlessly.

First point and click was KQVI, that game scared the crap out of me. The dwarves and the minotaur.... ack! So suspenseful! I hated dying.

First LA game was DOTT and that's what got me hooked.

My first game was "Curse of Enchantia", it was kind of simple but i loved it and got me hooked with adventure games, my second adventure game was Monkey Island 2.

It was Day of the Tentacle. I don't remember why and I doubt that I truly understood English at the time... but the wacky setting had me hooked nonetheless.

I played the original Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon with my brother in 1995!

That is what inspired us to eventually get all of the Humongous Entertainment games except for Pajama Sam games, which as a kid I thought of as too childish. (go figure)

I still love those games very much!

My first adventure game was "Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside" by Humongous Entertainment.

I was 4 and my parents probably bought it because they were marketed as children adventures. They really were great, everywhere you clicked something happend, something funny for the kids or something completely random for the older players. I still enjoy playing through it from time to time. It even gets harder every time you play through it.

The art direction is also amazing, the whole "world of darkness" just breathes and is beautifull to look at. The characters have great personallity and they never bore you. The same goes for the other games from the stables of Humongous Entertainment, like Freddy Fish and Put-Put.

This is one disc I am never getting rid off and will always be nostalgic to me.

The first adventure game I played was Maniac Mansion back on the NES.

My older brother and I went through every character and tried to get their unique endings.

I still remember him showing me a couple glitches, like Running from Edna in the kitchen,

making it through the door. Also, using a single kid to escape the dungeon with the loose brick.

I then played Kings Quest V with my younger brother.

I didn't know beeswax could plug a hole in a boat!

Sign in to follow this