Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silmina

First adventure game you ever played and why?

I'm fairly certain the first adventure game I played was Quest for Glory 1 - the vga remake. Played it at a neighbors house when I was younger, both he and his dad weren't the nicest people, and his mom was more then odd, but I still remember it to this day -- it's what really turned me on to gaming.

Fun fact: Weirdly enough, the guy that showed it to me used to write hints for an Amiga magazine under the pseudonym 'The Boggit', and had loads of free copies of stuff as a result.

omg you knew the Boggit? Amiga Action he wrote for, wasn't it? Maybe had a spell on PC Zone briefly, too... Duncan MacDonald was my favourite, funnier even than Brooker... Oh, I'm rambling.

My first game was "Curse of Enchantia"

That was an early one for me too, on our Amiga 600. Very affecting.

Curse of Monkey Island. I think I discovered it from the demo. Needless to say the Lucasarts six cd collection of older adventure titles was quickly purchased after.

Probably one of the Pyjama Sam or Spy Fox games. I saw them advertised in the Beano once in like 1999 and I begged my parents for them. Unfortunately, we didn't have a computer at the time, and wouldn't have one until 2008(!), so after failing to get them working in my PS1, we stuck them in storage. Sometime in 2009 I found the games and played them, and they were quite compelling.

I feel really young posting in this thread. :U

Space Quest III. My grandfather bought me the Space Quest collection as a spur of the moment thing, which makes me think it was probably marked down at Tandy's. I found it really weird, but when I started solving puzzles and changing things in the game world it got pretty magical.

First one I played was King's Quest V. Definitely one the best games to get me introduced to the whole genre of adventure point and clicks. I saw dad play it when I was little and one day he just sat me in front of the chair and taught me a few things about the game. It took a really long time and I pouted a little dying here and there but I loved making all these decisions and the graphics were rather nice. When I finally beat the game it was so incredibly rewarding that I was cheering and jumping all around. And from there I was pretty much hooked.

I started with that and King's Quest VI which we played together as a family. And then dad one day bought that huge 5 set of adventure games from lucasarts that included: Zak McKraken, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Indy 3, and Loom! THAT KEPT ME ENTERTAINED FOR HOURS ON END. And I've been hooked on adventure games ever since!

I can't remember back that far but I know for sure it was in the days of floppy disks...

I think it was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis! My parents had something to do with it.. as they were both big fans of Star Wars + Indiana Jones films.

... but it never stopped there. Played many different games but I kept finding myself returning to adventure games (specifically the LucasArts ones - my favourite)... they just had this magical charm that I couldn't find by shooting monsters from hell, flying through space and jumping onto platforms.

My first was Monkey Island 3, which I got from my cousin for christmas one year. After that I was always on the lookout for that type of game.

Transylvania, a simple text parser graphical adventure from the early 80s on Apple II. We had it at my 3rd grade school for some reason. I don't think I really played it to win, I just explored and tried to type funny things into the text parser.

The first one I ever had on my computer at home and really tried to play correctly was Hugo's House of Horrors, which many likened to Maniac Mansion because of the story and theme, but was actually more Sierra style in gameplay. It was a shareware game, and my grandfather had it on his computer and then gave it to me. He had told me tales of playing the first text adventures on the mainframe computers he used to work on but this one had actual graphics and an on screen character.

I played all three Hugo games before I really got into any other adventures. I think the next one I got into was probably Space Quest IV, and that's where I started to actively seek them out as a genre. I became a total Sierra fanboy.

Mine was Space Quest 1, it was something for my dad and I to do together. I mainly played it because it taught me how to spell in English.

Didn't understand the concepts of the game neither the fun, but SQ, KQ and PQ really changed my childhood.

most fond memories from when i was young.

It was either Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, or King's Quest VI, which were both bundled with (I think) a sound card we got for our computer at the time. Until that point I mainly played strategy games like Civilization and SimCity, and sidescrollers of various kinds.

They were pretty great games through which to be introduced to the genre! I ended up never really getting into any of the other King's Quest games (although there were some Sierra games I liked), but I ended up playing pretty much everything else LucasArts made.

Technically, the first adventure game I ever touched was The Pink Panther: Passport to Peril. It came with a hand-me-down Windows 3.1 computer and I could never get that game to run properly probably due to a combination of me being 9 years old at the time and not knowing what I'm doing, and the computer being very weak and only barely being able to run the game at all. It crashed all the time and I couldn't really make any sort of progress in it.

The first adventure game I actually put effort into and played to completion was Day of the Tentacle, but that wasn't until quite a few years after my initial brush with the genre. I kind of stumbled upon it by chance, but fell in love. That game introduced me to the rest of LucasArt's catalogue of adventure games, and I eventually got around to playing the games from the Monkey Island series, which ended up being my favorite series of adventure games.

The first adventure game I can remember really playing was a PS1 title, Blazing Dragons. Oh man, I thought it was so totally hilarious and great. I just looked it up and apparently it was originally a cartoon show, I had no clue! Terry Jones did several voices, and it was set during Arthurian times, but with dragons as the knights of the round table. The game itself with mostly straightforward point-and-click, but the minigames were all devilishly hard to my 10-year-old self.

That was the first game I ever finished, albeit with some help from a walkthrough. I remember being ridiculously proud of that achievement.

I can't remember anything before that, I think I fiddled with the first Discworld game but having not read the books yet, I didn't really appreciate the humor like I do now.

Monkey Island the original, because my older brother loved it (and I always emulated what he did at that age).

At first, I didn't really like the puzzles so much, but I loved the humor! Once I found and downloaded a good walkthrough, however, I found the game a lot more enjoyable when I could find the answer when I got stuck.

After that, played every Monkey Island game that came out, Space Quest, King's Quest, etc. Tried to get into the Dig and Myst at some point, but didn't enjoy the ones with a more serious tone and difficult puzzles, so I lost interest in those titles.

I remember it fondly. King's Quest III way back in 1987.

My friend and I didn't know what we we're doing at all - but we had so much fun!

We spent hours just walking in and around the Wizard's house, bothering the the animals, pulling out hairs of the cat and feathers from the chickens... I remember we were mindblown by the fact that we could leave the mountaintop and explore the nearby surroundings - and bother the local residents as well!

Space Quest I, Police Quest I, Larry 1 and the excellent Hero's Quest I followed shortly thereafter, and I've been hooked ever since!

scummvm_3_3_9-full.png

Oh Man. Hero's Quest 1 was the first one I ever finished and it was an incredible experience.. Larry 1, Police Quest, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken were next... Good times

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was the big one.

I thought it's copy protection is super cool, with the stone disks shifting on their own before you first click.

Although I played it without sound for a while, because my mother had previously cut the cable for that on our first PC.

Otherwise there was Monkey Island 1 and LSL5.

I got almost all my first adventures through this german magazine: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestseller_Games#Liste_der_ver.C3.B6ffentlichten_Spiele

Except for Archibald Applebrook's Abenteuer, that was the first box I got.

I don't know why, but I can remember vividly how my older brother played Kings Quest III on what must have been our old a monochrome 286. I think I must have been 6 or 7 at that time (I'm now 29) but I was immediately hooked on the idea of being able to do virtually anything in this computer world. I could not make sense of the text parser and the game was in english (I'm german), but I enjoyed watching my brother play (although I was really scared of the wizard!).

Later my brother gave me Zak McKraken and we used to play it together (This time I was scared of the Aliens ;)). From that time on I loved games which I could play at my own pace and which focused on storytelling while interacting with an interesting game world.

Not only Adventure games can create that kind of feeling and I think Psychonauts is a very good example of a highly immersive game! I never got into RPGs that much, because I considered the heavy focus on fighting stressful.

La Aventura Original or Los Pajaros De Bangkok both text adventures. Just can't remember which, I would put my money on La Aventura Original was the first one, pretty sure.

As for point click, IJ and The Fate of Atlantis. I just couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing.

The first adventure game I remember playing properly was The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. I gave in, and played with a walkthrough, but it's so damn difficult that I still couldn't finish it.

That said, I know that when I was a tiny child imp in the 90s, I did play an awful lot of The Neverhood. My primary school had that loaded onto all of the computers for some reason.

Not sure if it was the first adventure game I played but the first one I finished was Sam & Max Hit the road. I loved it because I'm dyslexic and as a kid I found it very hard to play games were you needed to read a lot. The control system and dialog trees were all represented with pictures and icons, so I could just enjoy the game. It even had jokes about dyslexia and so I remember feeling the game was made just for me. :P

"The Secret of Monkey Island" EGA, this game made me want to create computer games myself. Thank you Ron, Tim, Steve and Michael (and everyone else involved) for designing such a cool and funny game, and for inspiring me till today.

I believe it was a pirated copy of the first Larry Leisure Suite back when I was just a little kid.

this. me and a friend had a hard time trying to figure out how to write things in english so we got some help from his older sister. it was alot of fun but we never got further than to the woman upstairs in the bar. we died from std obviously. and often got run over by cars.

the first time I really played an adventure game all the way through though, was probably one of the monkey island games. I got all the first three of them for christmas the year that curse was released. that experience of playing through that entire trilogy was probably what got me hooked on the genre. I still find new gems every now and then. The adventure genre isn't dead. It's the blockbusters that has gotten bigger, so the adventures aren't as visible anymore but I'd say a few good ones are still released every year.

I do not remember if I played Zork first or Colossal Cave first, but it was definitely one of those.

What happened was back in the mid-80's the University of Arizona had some summer courses for kids and teens. I took a computer course and we used PDP-11 terminals. They had some games on there and one of them was an adventure game. It was either Colossal Cave or the PDP version of Zork. It was a long time ago though so I really don't remember which it was.

So I guess I'm the new fossil. :blank:

Heya,

First adventure game I vaguely remember playing would of been the old zork games/hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. But it was normally a family thing which was great. Myself, Mum and Dad would gather around the computer and would play for ages. It was great, it was pretty much the only genre of games we would play. But really the most fun we had would be with point and click adventure games. Stuff like Maniac Mansion, Zak Mckracken, Carmen Sandiego games, Return to Zork (We quoted Want some rye? Course you do! more than a Monty Python fan) Good times. It's always the type of game I go back and play nowadays and always keen to pick up and play some of the indie games like from the Wadjet Eye crew and even games on the AGS website. But it was great back in the day, going to the computer swap meets once every few months and just looking for any point and click game that we mightn't have played. That's how we found out about games like Beneath a Steel Sky and sadly games like Wayne's World.. It's a genre I'm still glad is around today and as of late is sort of making a come back.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I ran it on a Pentium-laptop with a desktop-sized docking station; my first PC...

Can anyone help me out?: I have a very early memory of playing a text adventure at a friends house.

The game had to be installed from a tape and the screen was monochrome.

I believe that the character was a journalist who went to egypt/north-africa early on in the game,

then I died by getting lost in the dessert.

I know it's not much, but somebody got an idea of the title?

I have a great memories playing Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, but I think that don´t was the first adventure game that I play but yes one of the adventures games that I have more memories when I was kid.

And why? Simply I don´t know, and I don´t remember but yes that I enjoyed playing the game.

The Secret of Monkey Island on my friends PC. I was just astounded by the world and felt sad when I had only about half an hour to play at one sitting as I wanted to keep playing for hours. I think Monkey Island was one of the real reasons I wanted my own PC and eventually got one.

I'm actually not sure I remember which game I played first, but I know which adventure I finished first: Day of the Tentacle. Still my favorite adventure game ever, even though I can literally tell you how to solve the game from start to finish without even seeing it on screen. :P

Other games I played and in most cases loved were the Monkey Island series (obviously), the Goblins series (most of all Goblins 3) and the lesser known Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (from the makers of the Goblins series). Later, once the genre had pretty much been killed by money-grubbing publishers, I was surprised to find out Grim Fandango was a pretty good adventure game, even though I simply hated the controls the 3D environment brought with it.

Sign in to follow this