Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #1: Creating a Visual Style, Part 1

Gotta admit, I'm not the biggest fan of this art style. It reminds me a little bit of that nightmare, "land of the living" scene from Grim Fandango for some reason. It might be interesting to look at briefly, but not sure I want to play through an entire game based in that world.

Lee that was a pretty awesome update! As a person that is really fascinated by process (like it seems many many people on these forums are) updates like these are really interesting to read. Thank you for taking the time to put all of that together!

There's a reason and rhyme why he has characters lacking expressions. One of the ways that works is you forcing an expression into the "expressionless" Like the guy looking at the little dude? He totally looks perturbed by little dudes presence. Or in the portraits it makes you look at much more than the characters expression, it makes you take in more physical aspects of the character.

Anyway the guy knows how to use expressions I'm sure, he just seems to like to play with emotionally subdued faces.

I'm probably the EXACT opposite of him (my icon is me drawn by me), I wallow in expression. But for me to expect for him to draw like me would kill variation in art. So let him be different. Christ.

I think it is a bit strange that everything revolves around a certain art style. It's like the art style will be determining the story of the game. In my opinion it should be the other way around. It is pretty hard to criticize the art style without having any knowledge about the story and just looking at the art as it is, but should I make an attempt I would still say I like the art of The Whispered World better than what has been presented.

I think it is a bit strange that everything revolves around a certain art style. It's like the art style will be determining the story of the game. In my opinion it should be the other way around. It is pretty hard to criticize the art style without having any knowledge about the story and just looking at the art as it is, but should I make an attempt I would still say I like the art of The Whispered World better than what has been presented.

I definitely think more cartooney would be up my ally. This is great, though I hope the style is not exactly like his portfolio. Something new would be nice. Let's see where it goes! I sure hope we start getting some story information. Like you said it's very hard to judge and art style when there is no theme/story. This stuff reminds me a lot of Stacking or Psychonauts (big heads and eyes).

Wonderful insight there, thank you. I'm surprised how much it already looks like the kind of game I was interested in. Beautiful even in its earliest draft, the promise blossoms.

I do like the art except for the lumberjack. I do like most of what has been posted of Bagley's portfolio though. Specifically, I think he looks pasty and a little too '3d' in comparison to the background. It looks like he's made of clay and the background is a painting.

Constructive-wise, I would say, make it look more like the pictures posted in this thread of Bagley's portfolio. thanks guys!

Oh, also I REALLY like the background and the scrolling/lighting integration looks pretty good so far! thanks!

first off, that's a very nice mockup. Looks better than some finished adventure games I played.

That said, I really like the style of the background and the way you integrated the character into it with the gradient and drop shadow.

I know you said the character was not going into the game, but I'd still like to say I'd prefer it when the characters in the game looked more like the majority in Bagel's paintings on his site.

The way the camera moves works out well, but: Currently it's lagging behind the character, when he moves right, the character ends up in the right third of the screen. Basically, the camera is looking "backwards". Would it be possible to see how it feels when the camera moves "in front" of the character and looks "forward", allowing you to see more of what the character sees?

Oh, and thanks for pointing out Bagel's site, I really like his pictures.

Love the art style!! I already know that this will be a beautiful-looking game. Also, the character you made/used for the demo is actually pretty cool, though perhaps a bit out of place in the landscape.

This is looking good. It still kind of sucks it was leaked but oh well it was just a tease for the outside world.

This is looking good. It still kind of sucks it was leaked but oh well it was just a tease for the outside world.

I guess when it comes to so many people it's hard to keep secrets from the rest of the world....

Here, fun pills and sleds for everyone. Go have fun.

[End of line.]

Smiles

You know it is possible to be having a disagreement and be having fun at the same time...

Here, let me stuff these fun pills in your mouth and push you down the hill on a sled. ;)

Smiles

As long as you make the art style have that painted, textured look, I'm down with it. The pristine vector look really just screams artificiality and does not exude character or charm.

CHUUCH!

I think the art style for the backgrounds looks fantastic.

I'm hoping the characters are able to capture the same expressiveness that the sprite animations did in old-school adventure games.

Here, fun pills and sleds for everyone. Go have fun.

[End of line.]

Smiles

You know it is possible to be having a disagreement and be having fun at the same time...

Here, let me stuff these fun pills in your mouth and push you down the hill on a sled. ;)

Smiles

I don't know why I just had to think of "Mr. Happy Face" (the Youtube video with millions of clicks)

This is coming together and looking cool so far.

I have to say this is the post I have been looking forward to the most.

As far a visual style goes Id love to see more thumbs and sketches if/when possible.

One of the strongest aspects of Double Fine games is attention to story, and I have a huge interest in seeing concepts

I trust you guys will make it awesome.

Go DF!!!

Thanks for this post!

Nice.

I just have to chime in here - I know, I know they said none of the art is final BUT - that I can only hope the backgrounds in the actual game have the same level of detail as the characters, because in the demo the disparity between the two was kind of freaking me out. Inside. I was quiet about it, so no one would hear the tiny screams.

But this raises a good topic. I think this game is a chance for the development team to really do some innovative things. As with the ability to pan into the scene and reveal new items that were previously hidden, Double Fine can think about how this game will push the field of adventure games forward. I don't think many old school adventure games had that kind of layers, that ability. I really want this Magical Double Fine Adventure of Friendship and Adventure to be the next evolution in 2D Adventure Games, in how they treat the mechanics, the art, and how the two intertwine. Kinda like how Disney kept finding new ways to animate things in 2D. We don't need to go back to the 1990s when we can pull adventure games into this decade (although, please, please make the puzzles difficult. No easy gaming If this is the right place to say that. Make your art difficult is probably more appropriate, though it just doesn't have the same ring.)

Who knows, if Double Fine redeFines the genre, it might not as dead as we think.

This is really awesome. This is the kind of thing I expected when I put money on the Kickstarter. It's really great to see it broken down like this and seeing it evolve. Great work, and keep'em coming!

Very cool.

Just be careful please with the whole MOVIE this and MOVIE that, its really gone overboard in so many games, i wanna feel like im playing a game not a movie. I watch movies, i play games :)

Really getting tired of games with movies menu, and movies this and oh we added movie that to make it feel movie ish.

I want games to react instant and sharpy, movie feel, tends to add slow annoying stuff that might work well on consoles.

Its like those menu'en that has a movie ish feel is annoying to look at on pc, and are slow, instead of being fast and responsive, its like is a menu, you dont want to sit and spend time here, because it moves out to the side in some fancy manner.

seesaw.jpg

Abstract and dead eyes, but the implied motion gives it life. The abstract is of a great enough degree that it can get away with the eyes. Still, not appropriate for a video game that isn't set in the Neverhood.

I actually like this one, and the other weird-shaped-head cartoons in his gallery, a lot. I think using this type of character in game would be making much better use of his art style than regular-headed people. I also like the beady eyes a lot, but I do agree that they tend to convey a blank stare, something that I think could be overcome through the use of expressive eyebrows.

I think Nathan's style, as expressed in the images posted here, is full of character and would work wonderfully in this kind of game. Attempting objective criticism seems ridiculous to me, as any kind of stylization is obviously going to accentuate some features and subdue others for reasons which are subjective and unique to the perspective of the artist. Fair call if the style just doesn't resonate with someone, but trying to find objective problems with each component part, like the eyes or mouths, seems to miss that the whole point of stylization is to distort the subject through a subjective lens. There are lots of ways to express emotion visually, and the simplest of stylized characters (for instance with nothing but a line for a mouth and black spots for eyes) could put on an oscar-worthy emotional performance if those dots and lines are moved around in a certain way.

Personally I'm just hoping backgrounds will look more painted and textural than clean & vectorized, and that there is plenty of variety of personality among the characters. I'm not entirely sold on the big head thing (maybe if different characters were differently proportioned it would work better than the 'everyone is thin with a big head' vibe I was picturing), but the rest of Nathan's artwork just makes me hungry to see how the game's visual style develops.

It makes me remember The Day of The Tentacle, but with a modern look.

I really like what I'm seeing :)

Keep up with the good work, Lee!

Looking good! I'm all giddy with excitement to see this game development process unfold. Yaaaaay!! :D

It's great to see the actual design techniques artists use to create all these visual effects, I'm really excited to see more of these posts

The Parallax Scrolling... Still works and still looks good since from Shadow of the Beast. But, unfortunately I unlike Nathan's surreal and postmodern art style, very unfamiliar for me. I prefer Scott Campbell and Peter Chan's style...

Looks great.

Loving the traditional media look, hope we see more of it!

(I never get tired of the astonishing stuff artists using programs like Painter can create)

:)

As a fan of Monkey Island 3, Grim Fandango etc.- I like a not too serious art-style, with more clearly black outlined details. It is clearly able to show emotion without being too “artsy”. I know Tim and Double Fine are crazy with the bit more “grown up” style Nathan Stapley are known for, and I know many in here love it too, and for good reason. I however just don’t think it fits that well into what I would like a adventure game to signal. Especially the characters seem very uninteresting to me, they seem to fall into the background somehow with too "emo" a color-palette and lack of contrast.

I know it's too early to say anything, but hope there's a lot of tweaking left. Anyways, you said you wanted feedback and there you go :)

I love the Psychonautsesque aesthetic. I just added -esque onto a word.

Sign in to follow this