Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #1: Creating a Visual Style, Part 1

I'm loving this.

At first I kind of wanted the project to be pixellated, "old-school". Then I started to realise how cliche'd that would be, and how the general public wouldn't necessarily look upon it favorably.

Then I started to picture in in 2.5D (you know, 2d gameplay, with 3d artwork) and though that could be cool, but it doesn't often work, and could could even be prohibitive to DF's visions.

Then I started to panic. I had bad dreams about it being "just another" vector looking, flash-esque, kind of flat blandness.

I never actually pictured this hi res painterly cartoony but still very very 2D look.

I realise completely that this is just concept work, but I love it. I have new-found enthusiasm for DFA!

Thanks SO much for posting this stuff up.

It's called an accidental leak. =p

But yes, it's nothing any of us can be upset about. Doh.

Actually, until Greg implied otherwise, I figured it was intentional. IMO the best way to respond to this would be to release something that's more indicative of the game's look and feel once that's been decided (to counteract any misconceptions that this early mock up might give - which is the only negative aspect that I can see). Other than that, it's free publicity, I guess.

Also, Lee. This is fantastic. I hope we'll be seeing more of this sort of thing as you guys dive farther into ironing out the visual design :)

Hey guys, the leaks were actually on us. We set up a new vimeo account for this and it automatically tweeted these videos out without us realizing it. We caught it pretty quick and took them down, but games journalists move quickly! It's already on Kotaku and will likely show up elsewhere. We're figuring out how to respond now.

Probably good their tipster seems unaware of internet caching, and the fact the videos are likely on his computer entirely. Curious what your reaction will be, but I'd be tempted to just ignore the stories... depends how much traction it gains I guess.

Really loving how open this project is, already feel happy to support it.

Love the paradox scrolling and multiple layers. Hipster lumber jack not so much but the story is what matters...loved the painted look though!!

I love the scenery, it looks great!

Next time try not to release to the public though..

I'm liking the course this is taking, but a *little* less pixels on he final game would make me to like it even more. Cool to see the first steps of the development :D

Huh, I was hoping for a more imaginative look to the game. Looks like a combination of real life, but more cartoony. Looks fine, but I'm sure you guys at Double Fine will make a more imaginative look for the game. Other than that it's good for early stuff. Guess I just want a game that isn't set in regular everyday life.

Looks great! Now to add TONS OF EXPLOSIONS! Isnt that what adventure gamers want? ;)

But seriously, awesome start.

That and hella guns...am I right?!?!

Huh, I was hoping for a more imaginative look to the game. Looks like a combination of real life, but more cartoony. Looks fine, but I'm sure you guys at Double Fine will make a more imaginative look for the game. Other than that it's good for early stuff. Guess I just want a game that isn't set in regular everyday life.

Read the disclaimer, this is just a test on visual style.

And I think it's great!

I'm glad you guys are experimenting with the possibilities of the 2D style in respect to camera. It'll really help make the world feel more immersive and alive. Love seeing these early stages! Shame about your inadvertent leak giving people the wrong impressions about what this is for, though :(

Love the art style ! Though if the "try outs" are going to be this nice looking I hope you will post more in other styles you know .. just for the fun of it :) Is this kind of pre visualising in after effects common practice in game dev ?

The full widescreen environment looks awesome. Love the style and the mood!

Looks great! Now to add TONS OF EXPLOSIONS! Isnt that what adventure gamers want? ;)

But seriously, awesome start.

That and hella guns...am I right?!?!

Don't forget the bodacious babes!

Leaked on Kotaku.

Kotaku - FDA Leaks

What?! Kotaku reported on something that wasn't news?! I AM SHOCKED! ;-P

But on a more serious note, I like Bagel's art style and I LOVE the idea of depth scrolling. As soon as I saw it, it immediately gave me this feeling of scanning the horizon for something. I almost wonder if you couldn't have a situation where--instead of the character walking into the "depth" of the background with the camera slowly following--you could have the character simply turn toward the background and then scale him up as the camera does a sort of cinematic zoom over his shoulder, like you're zooming in to help him look for something in the distance. A visual puzzle based on a really sweet looking panorama, perhaps? It's a cool effect! I bet you could find some novel uses for it.

Now posting links to my favorite artwork from Bagel's gallery!

Favorite

Favorite, too

Another favorite

Aaaaand favorite

Also, Bagel's art kind of reminds a little bit of the all time greatest children's book ever written:

the-stinky-cheese-man-cover.jpg

Awesome!!

The smooth gradient it's almost imperceptible when i first view the video.

But in the second view, i could see how this effect make the scene more believable.

Keep the great work!!

oh man oh man, this is the sort of stuff I love learning about and how it works. This is totally the kind of stuff I want to get into job-wise.

looking great! Can't wait to see more!~

Awesome :) I too would love more of a "painterly" look to the game. These are just my own

doodles but I've always wanted a game that was somewhat whimsical. Anyway, super excited to

see more in-depth info from both the development and design side of things!

mae-3.png

game+scene.jpg

Sign in to follow this