Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #1: Creating a Visual Style, Part 1

Great test visuals! Funny guy too. Hope to see some evil themes too.

Awesome!

You guys are probably already aware, but just in case I thought I'd point your attention to a super handy script for doing 2.5D stuff in After Effects called pt_Multiplane. You can import a layered Photoshop or Illustrator file and it will break your layers into Z-Space while scaling them appropriately so the proportions of your composition remain unchanged.

Super exciting to see these first steps. Thanks for the detailed write up. As someone outside of the game industry I found it very informative and interesting.

Dear god I hope the game looks like this. Love the 2d art style. Just hate the hipster character. He better not be in the game!!!!

Why are lumberjacks hipsters now?

This post demonstrates everything I'd hoped a modern 2D point and click would be. Parallaxing for the win!

I'm actually glad Kotaku "leaked" this, as it led me to check in on the donator's forum and see these lovely videos! A fair amount of my personal work is sort of painterly/cut-out Yuri Norstein style stuff done in After Effects, so I am REALLY feeling this style already, and enjoying the texture and depth and the way the elements come together.

As a tonal experiment, I'd call it a major success. It retains the 2-D, illustrative qualities that fans are paying for, but is innovating on that paradigm in interesting new ways that I don't think have really been done before in a game.

i say we keep the lumber jack. Whose with me?!?

Only if he sings the lumberjack song

Either way, he's okay in my book!

Oh also, if anyone wants to see some fancy multiplane animation history - check out Disney's state-of-the-art (at the time) multiplane camera.

I'm actually glad Kotaku "leaked" this, as it led me to check in on the donator's forum and see these lovely videos! A fair amount of my personal work is sort of painterly/cut-out Yuri Norstein style stuff done in After Effects, so I am REALLY feeling this style already, and enjoying the texture and depth and the way the elements come together.

As a tonal experiment, I'd call it a major success. It retains the 2-D, illustrative qualities that fans are paying for, but is innovating on that paradigm in interesting new ways that I don't think have really been done before in a game.

The only reason I haven't already emailed Kotaku expressing my disappointment in them is because this was accidentally made available to the public.

Thanks for the awesome post DF Lee, I've always been interested on how the art style of a game gets created(even though worked for a game company awhile back) never had the chance to talk to the art director and see how they settle on a specific art style. This is great, keep 'em coming please :)

I think the disclaimer that this is not actual game graphics needs to be in huge bold red letters at the top. Quite a few people seem to be missing that part of the text.

Yes! I love Bagel's art style! This game's going to look fantastic!

Thanks, Lee, for posting!

Was kinda surprised to see the news on kotaku (and no alert on the email subscription). Glad that it was just a misinformation.

Lovely art style. Not digging the big eyes thin legs of the test-subject though...

Looking great and love that you guys are breaking it down step by step to show us the processes you go through. Can't wait for more updates.

Super excited for what's next! Thanks for the cool look into your visual design process :lol:

It really just struck me at how in-depth this sausage factory tour is gonna be. Great stuff, guys.

Obviously all this stuff about how "the characters aren't decided yet" is a smokescreen. I am looking forward to Lumberjack: The Lumberjack Adventure: Starring Lumberjack.

Or maybe he's a hipster w/e.

Here is a silly idea ... is there any reason it couldn't be about a scruffy lumberjack? As a bearded fellow I'm tired of always being the villain.

Don't give away all of the secrets. If you do anybody will be able to create an incredibly beautiful and funny adventure game full of whimsy and wonder.

I don't think the styles bad, do hope lumberjack hipster gets a cameo just for fun :P

As well...leaks o_o come now see here. tsk tsk.

Sign in to follow this