Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Lee

Art Update #1: Creating a Visual Style, Part 1

@Lee loved the stuff you did on brütal legend that game had a great visual style so its great to hear youre in on the df adventure!!

The scrolling into the background is really great haven't seen anything like this before! It gives a lot that the char is not just walking of screen but moving with the world

Man, I forgot about the forum until the leak. Great very-early-concept-stuff! I'd love it to go in a painterly style, I dig Bagel's stuff. But you guys do what you feel is right.

Thanks for the update! I love the "analog" feel of the scene. Not sure if analog is the correct word to say, english is not my first languaje. But I´m sure you smart people will make sense of my posts :D

Great update. Knowing there is so much time left for making the awesome art to put into this system makes me a very, VERY happy backer.

I love the subtle shadow effects and the paralaxing. Thank you Lee!

Not an art style I'm overly fond of myself (nothing wrong with the artistry, just personal taste). Will be interested though to see how the style is evolved into a game environment, and it might grow on me once we start seeing the actual characters and environments.

I did like the environment so there might yet be hope.

Either way, great update and I look forward to how things evolve.

Kieren

Loving it so far. Will be interesting to see what you land on and then look back at this. :)

I immediately got a modern cutscene vibe when I first watched it, but reached back to the old days section of my brain mush and it started to really feel like an adventure game. I could see myself clicking the cabin and Jack Lumberton moving there, obeying my every command. *nod*

Are you thinking about introducing any blur to the layers at all? Either in the immediate foreground, or as Jack Lumberton makes his way from the foreground to the cabin, or a third thing here, to call focus to particular points? I'd be curious to see if that adds anything of value, such as visual clues for the player or even subtle hints during puzzles, or if it just ruins the beautiful simplicity of the style.

Anyway, the mixture of the old school paralax treatment and Bagel's style is a great combo so far. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

We still have a LONG way to go, as visual development is a very iterative process. But I promise that hipster lumberjack is not the main character in the game.

A number of you have commented on how much you like the painterly quality of Bagel's art, and I couldn't agree more. Some of the things that we'll be working on in the coming weeks is experimenting with the best way to bring that painterly quality to the game itself.

Someone in the forums mentioned the word "analog" when looking at the art tests, and I think that is a great word. Because when we say that the game is going to be 2D, you might wonder "why?"--other than for nostalgic reasons. I like to think of 2D as being a great medium to see "the artist's hand" at work.

I love 3D games and making 3D art, but there is a little something that can get lost in translation with 3D. And I love 2D, but quite often modern 2D games take the form of "slick Flash vector art". And there's nothing wrong with that. I love the look of a lot of those games.

But we'd like to do something a little different. Something that is a bit old school in its "2D-ness", a bit contemporary in its fidelity, and somehow "analog" in its painterly construction.

Thanks for the support!

I dunno. What with the "lighting" and gradient/colouring i the *background* scene, the visual style (or an attempt at that) looks a tad bit "realistically" for my adventure taste. It's a bit jarring. It looks more like an Amanita Design style than Double Fine. Also, I think you parallax a bit much, underscoring and enhancing that jarring "realistically" effect. I guess I was expecting something of a more artifice.

Looks beautiful. We can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the videos, certainly you guys started working hard!

Thanks again!

Would I be correct in assuming that there will be much greater texture and detail to the production artwork, or is the lack thereof part of the visual style being road-tested?

To put it another way, The Curse of Monkey Island was also a painterly, cartoony style, but is very dense in terms of it's detail and texture. Will this be similar, or is the sparsity actually integral to the visual style you're aiming for?

Looks amazing, Lee and Bagel! I love those balls of warm light caressing the mountain tips in the distance.

I initially didn't like it at all and felt a wave of disappointment (just a little wave ... maybe more of a tinkle) as I stared at this "visual style" and thought, "Is this it? Really?!?" But, having given my hard earned money to be a teensy, tiny part of this grand venture into kickstarting the adventure genre back from the dead, I decided to read on and see what you had to say. By the end of the article, I found myself having grown to like the visual style being displayed. It's still not the instant "falling in love" that happened when seeing the art in Full Throttle or Grim Fandango, but I see real potential.

I do wish we'd get to see 3 or 4 different styles and help decide which one looks best. It would bring us in and make us feel like we are actively engaged in this project, and not merely bystanders standing by, not being engaged. And by "we" I mean "me" because I can't speak for anyone else on this forum.

Thanks for the great post!

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CRAP? THAT'S NOT WHAT I PAYED MONEY FOR! I WANT A REFUND!!

Just kidding. :P

Wonderful first insight into the visual side of things. While the programming update/s went mostly over my none-too-bright head, I managed to grasp most of what was revealed here and am very happy with what I'm seeing. Keep up the good work! Enjoying these written updates while waiting for the next doco installment.

I think the art style looks gorgeous! Very cool. I'm really happy to see a painterly, 2D game. I like 3D and everything, but there's a special place in my heart for 2D.

Lumberjack Hipster does sound like an awesome premise for an adventure game :D

lumber jack hipster eh? im guessing the soundtrack will be completely dubstep too. :-S

id like to see some other styles personally. this just doesnt excite me. but hey im nt telling anyone how to make the game so ill trust in double fine.

Oh also, if anyone wants to see some fancy multiplane animation history - check out Disney's state-of-the-art (at the time) multiplane camera.

The Illusion of Life, by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, also has some information about the multiplane camera. It's a somewhat expensive book, but perhaps you can find it at the library. I hear it's quite popular among animators - it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few copies among the Double Fine empoyees - but personally I just enjoy looking at all the pretty pictures and reading about the animation process and history.

They don't go into any great amount of technical detail about the multiplane camera (it would have been fun to know what the "22 possible adjustments" that had to be "calculated and written up and checked for each frame" actually were), but they do describe some of the practical difficulties facing the people working with it: The sheer weight of it, the heat from the lights, reflections, etc.

I am really happy to see that you're going for a painted, artistic style. I was hoping that we'd have a style like that, ever since I heard about the project. Excellent!

It looks awesome already! I'm so glad this game is gonna be 2d!

I was wondering if Scott C. still works for you, guys! I'd loved to see his approach for this game too!

Even as a draft, this looks super cool and has a ton of character to it. If I was a project lead I'd just go "yeah, that! Do that!".

I'm glad you decided on sticking with 2d at such an early stage, and it was one of the reasons I was excited about this project.

Especially enjoyed reading about what makes an great visual style and the gradient blending technique.

I hope you will use somewhat different character design in the final game...

I was secretly hoping for hand-drawn character animation, but I guess that was just silly.

Would be cool to put in big red letters on the videos: Mockup Art! Or "This do not represent the final art!" so when it leaks (an it WILL leak) people don't go bitching.

But it's coming up nicely i love it :)

I hope you will use somewhat different character design in the final game...

I was secretly hoping for hand-drawn character animation, but I guess that was just silly.

That was a camera/lighting test done in adobe after effects. We still don't know if they're going to use tweening or draw individual frames for the character animation yet.

Also, hipster lumberjack isn't going to be a character in the game, he's just a placeholder.

Super cool! And the details about lighting and such were really appreciated.

I like to dabble in filmmaking (generally silly comedy skits with friends), so the After Effects stuff is really interesting for me, as is the methods of making the camera follow the character and how to cast shadows in a 2D environment. My primary passion has always been video games, but I'm only just now getting into making my own.

My friend and I just started a little game designing competition and I think I might have a bit of an edge thanks to all these cool techniques!

Sign in to follow this