Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asif Siddiky

Premiere of Bonus Video Series "Sidequest"

Nice, just one thing.

In the comments you mention that Dio was replaced with Tim Curry because of the direction of the character.

I remember Tim telling me on Twitter it happened because Dio died before they could finish recording his lines and had to replace him.

It was quite a while ago on Twitter, but I clearly remember his telling me that.

Wait, I'll look it up.

There we go, took about half an hour but still: "We recorded a whole session with him but couldn't use it and he died before we could try again."

Brutal Legend was released in October of 2009.

Dio died in May of 2010.

So, nuts to what you're saying.

But he is quoting Schafer http://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend/status/110598076330291200

Sorry for the confusing quote on my part! We were going to try again with a new character written just for him for the sequel, but he died before we could record it. Also the sequel was cancelled. If we ever managed to get a sequel made and Dio was alive, I would have done everything I could to get him in it.

Love it! :-D Excited to see more as the project develops. These little snippets into Tim's world really bring a lot of heart to the documentary, as Tim does to his projects.

And yes - R.I.P. Dio :-(

I'm so happy I back this. This video was fascinating. And it's only starting!!!!

Neat, so this will be like the stuff the documentaries don't cover but is interesting nonetheless? I'll be sure to stay tuned. I've never been a big player of Double Fine games, but I love the connection that you guys have with the community. Definitely making my donation worth it.

Exactly. Glad to hear you feel you're getting your money's worth!

Getting our money's worth? This footage is more than worth it's weight in gold. The topics, the music, the production values, the intimacy, seriously this is blowing away all of my expectations. You guys at 2 player rock!

Honestly, I would have just payed money just to watch videos like this. Getting the game and everything is an added bonus!

Great Job. Will these, and all the other videos also be on the backer DVD/Blu Ray? I really hope they will because it's fascinating to learn about Tim and the Lucas Arts days as well as DFA. Keep up the great work.

Ummm... I get a

Sorry

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature

in the window where the video should be. Did not have this problem with the Ep.2 video.

Any idea from where to play it guys?

Edit: Nevermind, works now. :ahhh:

Will these, and all the other videos also be on the backer DVD/Blu Ray?

It's a little too early to make any firm promises right now because we don't know how many Sidequests / how much bonus content we'll end up with. One way or another, we're going to find a way to make this content available to you after the series ends.

It's really great to hear the success stories of people like Tim (i.e. stories of the "Nice Guy" finishing 1st).

Nice, just one thing.

In the comments you mention that Dio was replaced with Tim Curry because of the direction of the character.

I remember Tim telling me on Twitter it happened because Dio died before they could finish recording his lines and had to replace him.

It was quite a while ago on Twitter, but I clearly remember his telling me that.

Wait, I'll look it up.

There we go, took about half an hour but still: "We recorded a whole session with him but couldn't use it and he died before we could try again."

Brutal Legend was released in October of 2009.

Dio died in May of 2010.

So, nuts to what you're saying.

But he is quoting Schafer http://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend/status/110598076330291200

Sorry for the confusing quote on my part! We were going to try again with a new character written just for him for the sequel, but he died before we could record it. Also the sequel was cancelled. If we ever managed to get a sequel made and Dio was alive, I would have done everything I could to get him in it.

Sudden thought on this, if Brutal Legend 2 ever gets made, a temple to The Fallen Angel of Metal could be constructed just past Mt. Rockmore. The center of the temple could have an statue of Dio as an angel of metal.

I know I'm going to be unpopular with this post, but something in the video really, really bugged me.

When Tim was saying about Lucas Arts and that it was before Episode 1 so Star Wars was cool. This made me question Tim's integrity.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, this isn't a post about the merits of Star Wars.

But when a man's company paid, and gave you the creative freedom to make the games you're well known for, then you belittle them - that's what I have a problem with.

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that statement came off as very arrogant and ungrateful towards the man and company that made you.

Ok, I'm ready, bring on the hate and the "you don't know what you're talking about!"

You're way overreacting. I don't see how making a semi-joking critique of an artistic work is arrogant and ungrateful towards its creator. Also, Tim Schafer was only keeping it real. Let's be honest, working at Skywalker Ranch today would only be half as cool. George Lucas and LucasFilm haven't turned out anything of note in ages, and a lot of the magic associated with those names is gone.

Really interesting video. It's great to see more content coming out from the partnership between you guys!

Really appreciate being able to see things like this. Nicely done, 2 Player Productions (and of course Double Fine).

I think many of us (the backers) are creative types who want to do cool things, so it's always interesting and nice getting to hear from, see, and just connect with other creative people.

One day, when he made ALL TEH G4MES, Tim should write release his Autobiography.

I want to read that.

Great how Tim talks so openly about his early days, looking for a job and such. We've all been there.

Also nice how we are given a view behind the scenes to, like he says, demystify the game development process. I'm going to continue to watch this series with interest. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this