Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
meisjoe

Republique Kickstarter Campaign

It was a good prospect, but they did not sell it well enought. Announcing it on PC/Mac first would have not excluded all those without iOS device. They did announce it half-way thourgh their campaign, but was it too little too late? I'm hoping it'll make it, but we will see if traction gains.

It could work out. Like someone mentioned before, they made 50k yesterday! If they can do that in the middle of the campaign, then the last three days could go extremely well (I'm guessing something around 150k). During the next 4 1/2 days I guess they'll need to make 150-200k to stand a really good chance here. It sounds possible! Absolutely.

David Hayter and Jennifer Hale are voice acting.

So, um, back this NOW. Look at how much we raised for DFA, we can definitely make this a success too!

Uh, no thanks. A couple of good voice actors are not enough to convince me to back a game that A). Doesn't look interesting to me. B). Is pretty obviously going to be designed for touch devices first. and C). *Already has a publisher*.

Looks a bit naff, if I'm being honest. I'm all in favour of them "[featuring] a believable, non-sexualized female lead" but they're hardly smashing gender stereotypes by having their timid damsel-in-distress wear a hoodie instead of a pink dress and a crown. Then there's the "Explore heavy topics, say something meaningful" aim. Again, that's often welcome, but after looking at the story I'm not really convinced they can deliver.

You receive a desperate phone call from Hope, a young woman trapped within a shadowy totalitarian state. Using a stolen phone, she calls and begs you to hack into the nation’s surveillance system, assume control, and help her escape from the clutches of the omnipresent Overseer.

Totalitarian state... constant surveillance... I mean, 'heavy' maybe, but I doubt there's much meaningful they can say about it that hasn't already been said a thousand times. In fact these are almost exactly the same themes that were explored in Demolition Man:

I suppose the really sad thing about this is that they could have just gone and got the full investment, but at the bottom there is a line saying they want to prove the idea through Kickstarter. But it doesn't look like they're going to get to their goal now, so maybe it won't get funded at all :(

They've still got 2 days left. I believe they still have a chance at making it. It may be close, and unlikely, but there's still a chance.

Yup, needs a huge push now... 180k in a bit more than 2 days is tricky but not impossible.

Man, this Kickstarter gives me the weirdest split feeling. On the one hand, I donated $50 because I really want that journal you get at that level! There are not enough games with awesome feelies in the world these days~

But on the other hand that same journal's one of the things that makes me feel leery about the project, especially for such a low goal set on such a seemingly ambitious project. $50 seems like a really low pledge for such an elaborate physical gift. $50 for a .pdf of the contents would make more sense to me. But because these are people with real experience in the industry, not some guys with big dreams and no real idea of what they're getting into, I'm willing to trust they've got the math properly worked out for how much they need pledged in return for those to not break the bank and keep my money there at that level.

amazing indeed. *throws out all the graphs and ways of predicting if a kickstarter will succeed*

Totalitarian state... constant surveillance... I mean, 'heavy' maybe, but I doubt there's much meaningful they can say about it that hasn't already been said a thousand times. In fact these are almost exactly the same themes that were explored in Demolition Man:

I like that the first example you went to was Demolition Man and not, say, 1984: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

From the pitch video: "There has been a lot of excitement about our 1984-inspired story." (2:25)

I love demolition man, but it's a funny choice of example. xD

Sign in to follow this