Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kolo83

Rob Swigart’s Portal (1986) Reborn - Sci-Fi Adventure game, Kickstarter Campaign

Seems like every one is having a go at kickstarter these days. Would be nice if it got done. 900000 in less than 4 weeks seems unrealistic though :(

Wow 900,000?! Good luck with that!

"Designed to be a casual, third-person adventure game in the tradition of Gabriel Knight III and The Longest Journey: Dreamfall"

Casual gameplay inspired by Dreamfall? I'm not really sure he knows what he's doing.

Well, I pledged. Looks good , but really needs some massive coverage. I've been on Kickstarter the last few days, looking at different projects and I've only noticed it today.

I think that if they put the goal at $100,000 more people might have pledged. The current goal looks unattainable. I think that the game is too obscure to have this kind of goal.

A ridiculous goal and IMO they did a bad job promoting this campaign. If you want that much money... you can't just wait for the Titanic like an iceberg ;). The game looks interesting though, if I saw any chance for it to succeed I'd probably back it. Not like this though...

if I saw any chance for it to succeed I'd probably back it.

But You lose nothing if the campaign fails.

The game looks interesting though, if I saw any chance for it to succeed I'd probably back it. Not like this though...

well its not like you lose anything by pledging if it doesnt go through. I also think theres no chance itll happen but I pledged just to say that I think their project sounds interesting.

I really like the concept, and I've backed it, but as most others have said it seems very unlikely that this is going to hit such a high target.

The game looks interesting though, if I saw any chance for it to succeed I'd probably back it. Not like this though...

well its not like you lose anything by pledging if it doesnt go through. I also think theres no chance itll happen but I pledged just to say that I think their project sounds interesting.

Why? This isn't going to roll. Not in 100 years. And yes, support is important - I do support projects that might fail to reach the goal but I need to see a slight chance... - but a bit more realism about the goal would be nice (and if you set the bar high, you need to be willing to make a lot more effort to reach it... I don't see that here).

Why?.

Backed project begins to be more popular and attracts more potential backers.

Why?.

Backed project begins to be more popular and attracts more potential backers.

I quote myself from before (everything you didn't quote except my "why"): "This isn’t going to roll. Not in 100 years. And yes, support is important - I do support projects that might fail to reach the goal but I need to see a slight chance… - but a bit more realism about the goal would be nice (and if you set the bar high, you need to be willing to make a lot more effort to reach it… I don’t see that here)."

I do see your point, but there's no way this will work out under these circumstances.

I really don't see what you guys see that looks good in this one. Sure it's interesting, the 'remind me to check a review when this is out' type of interesting instead of the 'shut up and take my money' kind. All I see is a guy that has nothing more than a crude and vague idea of remaking a 26 year old niche interactive novel, that sounds kind of like a twilight zone episode, without even having a good grasp on games and their audience. It just seems to me as a case of jumping on the bandwagon because it just happened to be passing through. If you want to stretch it a little, he doesn't have a game to show us, he doesn't have a recognizable name to protect and generally he doesn't seem to be risking anything himself so I don't see any good reasons to bet that this will be made even if it does reach its goal. This is a typical 'wait for the reviews' case for me.

I also agree with Mikej here. Not to mention that being unrealistic to begin with doesn't show much promise. But in any case, everyone has the right to refuse pledging for whatever reason. If this isn't going to make it then it's not the fault of the people who didn't back it since doing so is not mandatory for anyone. Otherwise everyone should be held accountable for every single failed project they decided not to back.

I guess this is the downside of Kickstarter. There will be a lot of old game designers have seen the success that Doublefine Adventure (As well as Wasteland 2, Banner Saga, Shadowrun and soon to be Leisure Suit Larry and Jane Jensen) and have decided to resurrect their game.

It sounds like Rob Swigart does care a lot about his game and I'm sure he would have put a lot of thought into this before committing but I think there is a bit of kickstarter fatigue going about now. There has been so much success in such a short time, but we can see that Leisure Suit Larry has really only just succeeded in getting the money needed.

The Two Guys from Andromeda have started building up awareness of a new project but haven't started a Kickstarter for funding yet. Possibly because they aren't ready, but hopefully because they have seen that a lot of their potential funders have already invested a lot in the above projects (And probably others that I haven't seen as well :)).

Either way, I hope that he does do well, but I'm not keen simply because I am a bit worn out from backing (With a whole bunch of new communities to take part in!).

@SamosaSan: I agree! I doubt that Swigart saw the effort that was behind the success of DoubleFine or Wasteland 2 - and especially behind the Banner Saga (since especially at the beginning there wasn't a big name behind it and for this 720k is amazing!!!) It feels more like "if they can do it, I can do it too..." but there are a lot of things to consider to really make this work...

Two Guys from Andromeda definitely chose a wise approach. They will see how much fan support there is and if it makes sense to try a campaign and what to expect. Or maybe a publisher approaches them and supports this project (which IMO would be the best way for now...).

...everyone has the right to refuse pledging for whatever reason. If this isn't going to make it then it's not the fault of the people who didn't back it since doing so is not mandatory for anyone...

Yes, but the more people know that this project exists the lesser importance has the decision of one individual on not pledging.

I know that, right now, the probability that this campaign will succeed is close to 0, but maybe 300k budget was unrealistic (DFA ended with ~2m)?

Let the people know about this game so they can decide if they want to back it or not :)

Why?

you said you thought the project sounded interesting. if you need other reasons than that you can sort that out yourself. if youd jump on if this project already had a million you should jump on now, is all Im saying. =)

Yes, but the more people know that this project exists the lesser importance has the decision of one individual on not pledging.

I know that, right now, the probability that this campaign will succeed is close to 0, but maybe 300k budget was unrealistic (DFA ended with ~2m)?

Let the people know about this game so they can decide if they want to back it or not :)

But it's not 300k it's 900k :)

For example Fargo knew what he was doing when setting this level. He knew how to communicate and he is popular enough in this genre to risk it. When it comes to Swigart 300K would be something to argue about, sure! But even here it would take a lot more effort from Swigart to make it happen. DFA did a great job in communicating this project to the fans and various media. With Schafer they had the right face to do this campaign. There are many things that worked excellent together. DFA didn't set the bar that high (but most likely a lot higher than all previous game projects) but they put a lot effort in making people aware of it.

But yes, people will decide that matter for themselves. No doubt about that!!!

Why?

you said you thought the project sounded interesting. if you need other reasons than that you can sort that out yourself. if youd jump on if this project already had a million you should jump on now, is all Im saying. =)

Yes but what I said after the "why?" was already in anticipation of your argument and explaining why I have no interest in doing so. I'm pretty aware of this point of view. But under these cirumstances I see no reason to back this project.

Kickstarter it's like a ad campaign... you have to carefully plan it...

The banner saga, did extremely well... just look at their front page vs this one. The rewards, the tech prototype, everything is detailed and well crafted to show people they can pledge with confidence.

I know that if the project fails to reach their goal, your money no moves from your pocket but... as any campaign, you have to convince, and build hype and momentum... Maybe if you put over the table a known franchise like Larry, or a known name behind the project (Tim Schafer) and you have half your work done.

For example... If I run a kickstarter... let's say, for doing an full adventure game, full of humor, retro style but on modern ways, drm free, for win, mac, linux, android, ios (tablets and phone), with full translation+voice over in EFIGS, with posters, retro gamebox, tshirts and your name all over it... And I just ask for $1m dollars! It's waaay less than DFA, come on! Now go and gimme your money! lots of it! :P

It's obvious that I will not win a dollar... everything sounds great, doesnt it?... but... err.. who were I? A grog machine avatar it's not enough to justify pledging....

If I were to do some kickstarter campaign, I would have to work hard and think ahead before pushing the commit button on kickstarter site. Have deals with rewards provisioners to know how much they will cost, think about international shipping, work without backing in a prototype and something real to show.... think my updates and when I will do it to keep momentum, and prepare who I will contact and how to spread the word... blogs, social or viral... and wait for the right moment, to not be seen like "ah come on, another one? just the same?, I just pledged 4 projects now, I cant spend more money on this crap" thing.

OR... now... Let's say, Ron Gilbert... do the kickstarter thing like... hey! I contacted Lucasarts and they will let me buy/license monkey island to make MY third game. But the figure have so many zeros! Sooo pretty please pledge for it!! and for all the usual things... retro/nostalgia/drm free/EFIGS text+voice/great monkey rewards/blablabla... And I will make the REAL 3º monkey island, with the triple of monkey heads, no monkey kombat at all...and I promise the Secret is going to be revealed and to not be grumpy anymore!!...

And you got it: Looooots of "shut up and take my money" plus media coverage and... of course, my own pledge without second thoughts hehehehe :P

So... I think this project needs more juice in it before I'm convinced enough to pledge, I really hope they notice it :D

Regarding "why not pledge, you'll get your money back", my own answer to this is that it's not only an investment of money for me. When I pledge for a project my heart is in it. I'll post about it, check how it's going, comment on its comments page. If I think up front it won't get funded, why invest any emotion in it?

(Speaking of which, Spate is a platformer that IMO is gorgeous, and though it's up to a slow start I do think it can make it. Haven't really made anything but a token pledge, but I would like to see it get made.)

So project has to be guaranteed to succeed to be worth investing emotions...

No, but it needs to look like the project has a chance to succeed. I think it's normal to not invest time or energy on things which are bound to fail.

Edit: I would like to say again that this is just my own feeling on the subject, hopefully to stop responses of the style of "I don't feel that way myself, which means that your opinion is invalid."

I know, but i also want it being made :)

Edit to ET3D's edit: I didn't want to sound that i'm pushing my point of view, sorry for that.

Some of us simply like to have at least a small chance that success is possible.

I'd say not so much to succeed, but it has to give a clear indication that it will be completed.

If I am to invest into something I need to see that its creator is more invested in it than I am.

Brian Fargo made it pretty clear That he's been trying to make that game long before kickstarter came along. His little comical sketches with him dealing with publishers illustrate his efforts and explain why the kickstarter route was a necessity.

Tim Schafer was the wisest, I think, because he had a plan B. He made it pretty clear in the pitch video that his game might end up failing, but he offered us the chance to be part of it and, more importantly, the documentary which has no realistic chance of not delivering, so that we will have gotten at least something through this process.

Both of them put forth their good name knowing that the result will have effect on their existing career.

The guys of Banner Saga quit their safe jobs, opened their studio on their own and walked us through their ideas with specific details while showing actual work being done. You can tell that failure will hurt them.

Let me also mention the Tex Murphy game that's been announced and gathering support months before their kickstarter starts, also being presented as the final step of a 15 year long effort.

This guy (and several others).... just came out of nowhere. He doesn't seem to be risking anything, so why should we?

But these are the cases where they reached their goals within time shorter than week.

Brian Fargo and Tim Schafer both have huge fan base (including me :) ).

In both cases they've done great games, want to make another, we bought them.

Only true exception is Stoic (although they started in perfect time where DFA campaign at its best).

And I agree that people behind Rob Swigart’s Portal lack marketing skills, but it does not prevent me from advertising it.

Sign in to follow this