Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CHAnga

What if the Secret of Monkey Island...

...was revealed in this game?

Here's the thing, though; it wouldn't specifically be referred to as the Secret of Monkey Island. So it would be in the game, but it could very well be anything. People would be speculating which weird, bizarre or maybe not so bizarre thing they find in the game it could be, but Tim and Ron wouldn't confirm or deny anything.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, back when I played it for the first time, I assumed that the secret was that there was a giant underground labyrinth under the island that led to a ghost pirate lair.

I never had any reason to believe otherwise until I played the later games in the series.

For all we know, Ron could have hidden the secret somewhere in Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo.

My guess on the whole secret of Monkey Island thing is that it wasn't even supposed to be a big deal until the fans started making a big deal out of it. I'd be willing to bet that it was originally supposed to be that labyrinth beneath the island like what Howitzer mentioned.

You don't know the secret? Really?! Are you sure you are a true backer?

The Secret of Monkey Island is like the secret to Nirvana. It is not some great realization that you have never known, rather it is the everyday truth that is overlooked.

I don't believe that you guys missed it...

Were paying no attention at all?

secret_reward.jpg

My guess on the whole secret of Monkey Island thing is that it wasn't even supposed to be a big deal until the fans started making a big deal out of it. I'd be willing to bet that it was originally supposed to be that labyrinth beneath the island like what Howitzer mentioned.

Yeah that was my impression too. Either that or the island itself.

I was going to say, I always thought it was a gag at the expense of people who didn't realise the whole gateway to the underworld thing was the secret.

I don't believe that you guys missed it...

Were paying no attention at all?

[picture]

Ahah yes, one of the first thing i thought when I see Gilbert involved was that they could easily ask whatever amount for the Secret and easily reach the goal and beyond.

I was going to say, I always thought it was a gag at the expense of people who didn't realise the whole gateway to the underworld thing was the secret.

There has to be something more than that. Especially in the way Chuckie's eyes are glowing after they exit the tunnels. If the secret was revealed, I bet it would have something to do with a child's imagination.

Ron Gilbert will only reveal the secret in "his" monkey island 3, if he ever gets the chance to make it. But nonetheless here are some interesting quotes by Ron Gilbert himself on monkey island:

About the jokes:

"There are a lot of jokes, that aren't really jokes."

About guybrush and lechuck:

"In one sense, yes they are brothers, in another way, they are not. If you get what I mean."

About Big Whoop:

"...because Big Whoop wasn't really anything important when we started writing the game.

The name alone says that. It just turned into something after the fact."

About "his" monkey island 3 in comparison to curse of monkey island:

"It would have been a whole different story."

"Monkey 3 was pretty good although I was afraid of the worst. Biggest mistake was that Elaine felt in love with Guybrush.

That's something she never should have done."

About the anachronisms:

"In fact, you'll see when you play that there are a lot of anachronisms,

like the vending machine at Stan's used ship yard. They're there to add humor to the game of course, but they also have a secret,

deeper relevance to the story -- but I'm keeping that secret for the sequel."

About the ending of MI 2:

"It was actually going somewhere, I didn't do that ending just to be strange, it was really part of the whole story."

About if you're able to find the secret somewhere in MI 1 or MI 2:

"Yes, if you really look at what's going on, you might be able to come close."

Other quotes:

"To think, it all started out as a silly story about a boy and his monkey."

"I had the story written, but not the whole design"

Maybe Chuckie was a bad kid and did something horrible that caused the death of his parents and then in his imagination he returns as Guybrush to try and "kill" his former self? Or is that too much? :roll:

Is the secret not the Big whoop and the hell portal? Is there more secrets? I DEMAND answers!! (preferably in game form. :) )

I think the secret is basically an in joke at this stage.

Would love to have seen what Gilbert's MI3 would have been like though.

I always felt "the secret" was to do with the relationship between the piratey world and the modern world, as hinted by MI2's ending and those anachronisms mentioned above. Some kind of matrix-like reveal that would put a new spin on everything.

I think the secret is that Guybrush was, in Mi 1 and 2, just a kid exploring an amusement park.

I always assumed the ending if MI2 involved some sort of voodoo shenanigans like Elaine implies during the credits (with capital letters for emphasis!), or at the very least there was more to it than what we saw. If not, then what on Earth would have Ron's MI3 have been? I don't think a kid in an amusement park would have made for a good Monkey Island game.

Sign in to follow this