Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
themacmeister

Piracy leads to stability concerns...

I am giving the full game a trial-run, with a cracked trymedia version of the game (yes, and it's 1.0.4 too!).

I doubt you are using SmartDeathDisk9.5 protection on the download version, but the game is crashing at seemingly innocuous parts of the game. Especially after cutscenes, or after being paused for a long time.

Anyways, I am definitely going to buy the full version of this game, but I am concerned by my stability problems with what I have already (assuming that this is the FULL game). I believe I have the latest and greatest drivers, and have trimmed my XP SP2 system down to the minimum. The error I am getting is "Crash: 0xc0000005 Please contact technical support at ..." if that is any help - probably not.

I am considering buying a used PS2 and playing that version. I do not need 5.1 surround, and will not be playing hi-def or widescreen (and my TV is pretty wimpy too!). Will play most of the game in MONO!

Can someone give me a definitive answer on whether this game can run stable enough on my PC, or should I fork out for a second-hand original X-Box and play that version (or the PS2 version). I have a Wii & GameCube, and would have loved to play it on one of those :-)

PC specs:

3.07GHz P4

1.5GB RAM

GeForce 7600GT 256MB AGP

SoundBlaster Live 5.1 PCI

*NOTE: Piracy is try-before-you-buy. If you like the game, *buy* the game!

Aswell as health concerns...

Pirates?! Naught but nerds with a fancy title; away with you! :down:

You ought be buying a genuine copy for a trial and then buy another copy for involved play-time. Hell-- purchase some copies for your friends... assuming you have more than I.

Continue much longer, and your crimes shall not go unpunished wench! I wash my gloves of you.

Piracy is stealing-- so why buy that which you already have? The likes of Teach, Kidd, Avery, Low, Rackham, Barbarossa and Oruç are pirates who worked for their cause-- whereas you!-- ::click-click::

Nevertheless, you should be able to run Psychonauts with relative ease on you computer; however, that being said-- all computer's seem to vary; even identical PC's can conflict with one another when it comes to gaming-- one works, the other wishes to negotiate. Having only played the PC demo-- I can not really coment. The console version ran like a charm and ran smoothly throughout... that is... until you reach the terrifying collision detection towards the end. :smirk:

Yet, you need not buy a PS2/X-BOX if you already have a cube, lest some unknown force is at play. But the Cube always delivers something crisp and entertaining and I would be surprised if Psychonauts were any different.

I think you should lose your mind to the Psychonauts(see what I did there?.... no?... ok.) and purchase a signed copy. Just to annoy, Freedom.

pirate-ahoy.jpg

pirate-ahoy.jpg.a464ed78eac430ae50a524c2

It appears that I have spoken too soon.

I ran Norton Utilities (WinDoctor) over my computer, and discovered 1702 errors with Microsoft Shared Files (GACK!), and also 4 errors with multimedia files. After all these were repaired, I sat down for what I thought was 30 min playtime (was actually 4 hours!) without a single glitch.

I must agree with other reviews that Psychonauts is the finest Platformer since Super Mario 64/Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I do believe Rayman2 still holds the title for most gorgeous game visually. Although Psychonauts is a close second.

I am at 35% through (not counting Figments or 100% completion) with around 5.5 Hrs playtime. I do believe I will restart from the beginning the moment I finish. I am currently having trouble in Lungfishtopia, where the resistance has disappeared, and I cannot get across to the tower (due to the boat being in the wrong place). I may need to buy the strategy guide too :-)

My prepaid Visa card arrives in 10 days (or so), and I will be running (not walking) to the shop to buy the full signed version. I cannot believe that it has taken me THIS LONG to try it out.

Sincerely

themac(no-longer-a-pirate)meister

EDIT: What's the deal with all these 9/10 reviews? Are people afraid to give perfect scores - like in gymnastics??

EDIT: Why does everyone say this game is so easy and short? - I am beginning to struggle - Also, the no-punctuation review claims the difficulty level ramps up considerably after half-way through!

::slides the man an Ale::

And nay, perfect scores do not exist-- as there is always room for improvement. It is in our nature to be ultimately flawed and as human beings-- understand that "Perfection" is a good joke gone wrong, as it does not exist per se. It is just humankind's comical way of amusing itself. But I think Psychonauts is as comfortably close to perfection as I would ever wish to come... were it any closer-- humanity would sigh it's last sigh, and die from despair.

It appears that I have spoken too soon.

I ran Norton Utilities (WinDoctor) over my computer, and discovered 1702 errors with Microsoft Shared Files (GACK!), and also 4 errors with multimedia files. After all these were repaired, I sat down for what I thought was 30 min playtime (was actually 4 hours!) without a single glitch.

Great.

I must agree with other reviews that Psychonauts is the finest Platformer since Super Mario 64/Rayman 2: The Great Escape. I do believe Rayman2 still holds the title for most gorgeous game visually. Although Psychonauts is a close second.

I'll look at GameStop for Rayman 2: Great Escape. I'm desperate for another game like Psychonauts.

I am at 35% through (not counting Figments or 100% completion) with around 5.5 Hrs playtime. I do believe I will restart from the beginning the moment I finish. I am currently having trouble in Lungfishtopia, where the resistance has disappeared, and I cannot get across to the tower (due to the boat being in the wrong place). I may need to buy the strategy guide too :-)

Sorry to hear about the bug. Raz has destroyed all the planes? There should be a series of four or five ships for Raz to jump across, with the last two figments.

My prepaid Visa card arrives in 10 days (or so), and I will be running (not walking) to the shop to buy the full signed version. I cannot believe that it has taken me THIS LONG to try it out.

Sincerely

themac(no-longer-a-pirate)meister

Good for you.

I only got it because of a sticky thread on gamespot PS2 forums recommending it as a must buy game. Ico was listed with it but it's tough to find.

EDIT: What's the deal with all these 9/10 reviews? Are people afraid to give perfect scores - like in gymnastics??

Finish the game before judging the judges.

EDIT: Why does everyone say this game is so easy and short? - I am beginning to struggle - Also, the no-punctuation review claims the difficulty level ramps up considerably after half-way through!

The difficulty level hits a wall about 95-99% of the way through. It's not just that it was hard. Some of the tough parts are hard but good. Others are hard and not good, if you take my meaning.

As for easy and short, I got "Ratchet & Clank" after playing Psychonauts to death. Psychonauts did a great job of improving my platforming skills without me noticing it was a platforming game. R&C;was a pain in a lot of ways, but I kept telling myself, "I beat Psychonauts. I can do this." Even the hard parts were interesting. R&C;had a decent story in the form of cutscenes. Not as good as Psychonauts.

Full of confidence I got "Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy." Gamespot rated it as medium difficulty, just like "Ratchet & Clank." Well. Psychonauts is adventure with an intuitive platforming interface. (Having just started "Grim Fandago" I can tell you that GF a great game with a frustrating interface. Huge difference in fun.) R&C;is a hybrid platformer/shooter. Easy on both counts, it's the combination that makes it work. Just the extreme hoverboard racing was brutally unforgiving and out of place. I guess I don't mind hard. There were some very hard parts for me in Psychonauts, but they were fun. It's the brutally unforgiving that's frustrating.

"Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy" is almost pure platformer. Even the FAQ writers complained about parts of it. I struggled through a controller-breaking twitch game, doing enough to get to the ending. It went insane. A few hours of sweating convinced me I couldn't even begin to do it. Jump on bits of rotating platforms just large enough to stand on? Ten in a row? At different heights? Far apart? Nothing earlier in the game prepared for this. Oh, well. There was some fun up to that part, particularly Misty Island's atmosphere, but there was a reason it was just $5 used. It was no accident that demo for the game was the Misty Island part.

I'd gotten Jak II at the same time. Went ahead and started it, figuring to enjoy it until it got too hard. That took an hour. O. M. G. The worst aspects of adventure gaming and platforming combined, sadistically unforgiving. The FAQ writers were really complaining about this one, particularly the timed missions. And the game gives infinite lives for a reason. You'll use almost all of them.

J&D;:TPL & Jak II have been sold back to the store. Let some other sucker buy them.

Well, it's not all bad news. "Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando" has a good story and game, but without the practice from Psychonauts, R&C;I, and Jak & Daxter there would have been no hope. At least it's interesting enough that I've replayed it several times. With practice some of it's almost easy. Some of the cutscenes are as funny as Psychonauts.

I'm on "Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal." It falls considerably below the previous in terms of entertaining story and cutscenes. Gameplay is spotty. Way too much practice has made platforming more bearable. It does have one thing in common with Psychonauts. Variety of atmosphere, just not as well put together.

I've got "Beyond Good and Evil" waiting to play. I'm also looking for Disney's "Haunted Mansion" for something interesting and easy to play. These platformers are killing my hands.

I've got "Beyond Good and Evil" waiting to play. I'm also looking for Disney's "Haunted Mansion" for something interesting and easy to play. These platformers are killing my hands.

Wow, if you have not tried Beyond Good and Evil yet, then i recommend you to be WERY EXCITED! It beats all the platformers you have written above, except Psychonauts =) .

Good work Jove - You will not regret playing Rayman 2: The Great Escape. There are guides on the net, but I believe it is next to impossible to get 100% completion - makes Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon look easy to complete. Best to just try to finish the game first, and come back later for the Lums! The game can be beaten relatively easily.

EDIT: Jove, if you like platformers, check out Klonoa: Door to Phantomille - classic 2.5D platformer - cutesy but challenging.

Still playing Psychonauts, and still struggling.

There are times when I wish the gameplay was a "LOT" more linear. I am inside the Mad Guards mind, trying to find a disguise for the sewer???!!!

I have enlisted some help, but the only thing I get is "Have you been to the Post Office?"

Well, I have, and I get my butt kicked by the surly spy inside!

Any hints?

Still playing Psychonauts, and still struggling.

There are times when I wish the gameplay was a "LOT" more linear. I am inside the Mad Guards mind, trying to find a disguise for the sewer???!!!

I have enlisted some help, but the only thing I get is "Have you been to the Post Office?"

Well, I have, and I get my butt kicked by the surly spy inside!

Any hints?

You need the entry code.

The rest of this is gradually more specific hints, encoded in ROT13. Use www.rot13.com to decode them one at a time as needed.

Lbh'ir frra fbzrbar jub xabjf vg.

Vs bayl Enm pbhyq ernq uvf zvaq.

Fbzrguvat sebz Oblq'f ersevtrengbe zvtug uryc. Enm fubhyq or hfvat vg ba rirelbar naq rirelguvat naljnl.

Hfr Pynveiblnapr ba gur Cbfg Bssvpr Ntrag jura ur ragref gur pbqr gb tb onpx vafvqr gur Cbfg Bssvpr.

I tried burning the keypad - that was a bad idea.

Your solution is so freakin' obvious - I do not know how I missed it.

PS. I returned to Lungfishtopia and the boats lined up for me this time. YIPPEE - the final epic battle with Gamarra(?) was funny to the extreme. Cannot remember laughing so much while playing a video game before (OK, maybe Sam & Max/DoTT).

cheers...

PPS. I liked your advancing hints - helpful without giving TOO much away (I of course read all of them, because I want to advance further in the game more quickly).

:-)

I tried burning the keypad - that was a bad idea.

Au contraire, it gives one of the better lines in the game. Took me ten games to try it.

Your solution is so freakin' obvious - I do not know how I missed it.

The same way I did. Clairvoyance wasn't required nearly enough, imho.

PS. I returned to Lungfishtopia and the boats lined up for me this time. YIPPEE - the final epic battle with Gamarra(?) was funny to the extreme. Cannot remember laughing so much while playing a video game before (OK, maybe Sam & Max/DoTT).

Yea! The monster is Kochamara. (Coach Amara? Does Amara mean anything in Japanese?) I recommend turning on subtitles so you don't miss anything. Did you notice his finger movements during "Deadly Triangle Beam?"

PPS. I liked your advancing hints - helpful without giving TOO much away (I of course read all of them, because I want to advance further in the game more quickly).

Thanks. It's an old technique from text adventure games. Invented by Invisiclues for the Infocom adventures. It was computerized in the Universal Hint System (UHS), but that seems to have fallen by the wayside in the online community. I just adapted it for ROT13. Maybe we could revive it for Psychonauts?

There are a number of FAQ/Walkthroughs if you're that eager. Try gamefaqs.com.

If you're that strict a completionist, there are Whispering Rock cutscenes in the Memories section of Raz notebook that can be missed. If you don't have "Shut Up and Do What?" and "Fish Stories" it's too late to get them.

There's another optional cutscene in Thorney Tower involving Lili's bracelet. You should know what to do.

Demos are good. That's how I found out that buying Psychonauts for PC originally wasn't good for me, because my old old video card had no shader support, woo.

Just thought I'd comment on the platformer stuffs-- I think Rayman 2 is much harder than Jak and Daxter, which I enjoyed quite a bit (then again, I bought Rayman 2 for the DS, but it still seems a bit unforgiving). Jak 2 IS really hard, I'm stuck at 85% through the game. Jak 3 is pretty hard as well, pretty much a turn-off towards the series (and yet I have the three main games in it?). Beyond Good and Evil is also a good platformer, which others suggested.

Another massive crash during the Den Mother boss level.

I have deleted the game from my hard disk, and will not play it on that PC again.

My position may change if it becomes available for the GC/Wii.

Is my understanding that there were patches for the XBox version of the game? Judging by the list of fixes in 1.0.4 of the PC version, it was always buggy (and remains so).

I will try it on my Radeon 9800SE system (3.0GHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 256MB Radeon 9800SE AGP) before passing final judgement on the PC version.

Cheers to everyone for their prompt and courteous help (especially when they were helping a known PIRATE!!) :-)

Seems to be running 100% reliable on my Radeon9800SE machine (softmodded to 9800PRO) - but not nearly as flawlessly smooth as with the GeForce7600GT ;-)

I will do a thorough reinstall, and see if I can root out the problem.

Still considering purchasing - give me a chance...

Seems to be running 100% reliable on my Radeon9800SE machine (softmodded to 9800PRO) - but not nearly as flawlessly smooth as with the GeForce7600GT ;-)

I will do a thorough reinstall, and see if I can root out the problem.

Still considering purchasing - give me a chance...

Now you know why the consoles rule gaming. M$ can't make a decent operating system. Vista is just the latest tribute to Sisyphus. That's why I have a PS2. The Psychonauts controls on the PS2 are terrible, loads and saves take forever, and the game doesn't look as good, but whenever I think about getting Psychonauts for the PC a story like yours comes along.

Played for a solid 2 hours without a crash (never even LOOKED like crashing).

Will play again for 2 hours tonight, and if it doesn't crash, then I will certainly buy the full game.

PS. I am skipping scenes and saving everywhere - it looks really stable now. Must have been a corrupt install last time. I also ran Norton Disk Doctor unattended, and that may have fixed a crosslinked file or something.

Did someone before mention Psychonauts on the GameCube?

PS. I am using the 2 part trymedia installer, which has a real installer for the first 50%, then a 7z decompress for the second half of the install. I am sure that the original installer (DVD/CDs) did not have this system. Installer crashed 2 times during install.

PS. I will be buying a second copy for my brother, who is soon to get an AMD64 5200+ with GeForce 8300GS. I cannot think of a better game for his system.

Is there trouble with AMD or 64Bit chips in general? I think AMD is 100% compatible with 32bit binaries tho...??!

There is still what I regard as a substantial glitch in the latest PC game.

If the game is left idle, when active, paused or at the title screen - all previous saves are reported as corrupt, and any saves you create are corrupt.

This can happen easily if you leave the game running for any reason. Bit of a downer, but you can simply quit completely to solve that happening.

Still enjoying it very much indeed - despite the faults.

I have a repeating crash on Sasha's levitation course on my NVidia machine. I am now getting the same random crashes on my Radeon machine.

I cannot be that unlucky!!

I will fork over my hard earned cash, but I would damn well better expect some quality support to get this sucker running!

(I am starting to think that the random crashes are caused by the copy-protection/no-CD crack, and not the original game itself)

I am in Australia, would I need the European version, or US? (or does it even matter on PC?)

I also want to but the game direct from doublefine, and avoid the dodgy delivery methods of Steam and TryMedia.

Thanks all - Next time you see me post, I'll be using a 100% legit copy...

My shipping confirmation just came through - soon I will be the proud owner of a SIGNED copy of Psychonauts PC.

I will download all legit updates so I can be sure I get the full experience.

If things go badly for me, get ready for a heated exchange on this forum :)

I have played 60% of the game without a crash (6.5hrs+ of recorded gameplay) - having real trouble helping Gloria's mood swings at the moment - as I did before...

The game did crash when I tried using a backup CD (cough - copy protection), but has run seamlessly since going back to the original disc.

The game shipped with only version 1.0.0.1, which was pretty inexcusable, as 1.0.4 fixes a few real showstopper bugs, including the missing cobweb duster!

I never thought I would 100% a level, but I have done so in 2 whole minds now - so looking forward to the unopened doors... still laughing out loud - still enjoying myself - a bit frustrating in parts, even the bacon doesn't help me on this level.

I just bought the game yesterday and Im experiencing random crashing causing computer to _completely_ freeze requiring a manual reboot to get going again. There is nothing incomon with the diffrent crashes other then that Im moving, seeing as thats a pretty big part and I bet it would happen even if I stood still for a good 5 minutes, I really would like some sort of fix for this.

Amd 64 3200+ @ 2.21Ghz

1024mb DDR2

GeForce 6600GT 128mb

nothing clocked

At a total loss here, I even tried downloading the game though GameTap and from various other sites and I get the same on all of them.

Any help is welcome.

Flame, I would install the EXACT version of DirectX 9.0c that is recommended in the README file. I would also update your graphics drivers to the very latest available (while still being legit - no tweaked drivers...)

I am about to reinstall the game again, and see how far I can get. I did give up at 86% last time, but I think I will get further this time (with a new Core2Duo machine and 8 Series NVidia card).

OK, I see now why there are so many 9/10 reviews. Meat Circus should never have been included without play-testing.

The sudden ramp up in difficulty is just too much for the average platformer fan.

That being said - I have played through the game twice now (and playing through a third time right now).

If Brutal Legend even scratches the surface of being as glorious as Psychonauts, then I'm in!!!

Meat Circus is the level that preys upon every single gamer's weaknesses like a cat stalking a mouse. It has an escort mission for more selfish gamers who don't care for NPCs. It has rising water for the slow and those who suck at timed missions. It has timed platforming for those who are bad at the whole jumping and swinging thing. It has sections dedicated to the use of nearly every power (though many can be skipped, such as using the shield while trying to get a sword on the spinning wheel and using TK/Confusion grenades on the bunny), for those who have That One Power they've never mastered (for me it's TK, which sucks when it came to fighting the Butcher and Evil Dad together). It has the consistant use of taunting dialogue for the easily taunted--or, alternatively, the moans of 'Raaaazpuuuutiiin' for the easily spooked. It has meat for the vegetarians or the empathetic. It has that scary butcher chasing you around and around for, again, the easily spooked. It has a fast-paced grinding track for those without quick reflexes and the obsessive-compusive figment collectors (who must keep their eyes both on the track and on those glowing images). It has precariously-placed tags and power-ups to tempt the collectors into a quick death. It has long falls and careful balance acts, flaming things being thrown at you and improvised thinking, an NPC you want to murder but can't, deformed guys who CANNOT DIE snipering you while you try to navigate... oh, and the whole damn thing is a Circus of Fear.

If I didn't know better, I'd have to say the developers are mocking us.

Sign in to follow this