Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LeCatt

Game Design Document!

One of the goals of the Kickstarter project is to show how video games are made. With that in mind, will backers be able to see the game design document? Will it be released to the public too? Or is it going to stay super private?

Who else here would be interested in seeing the GDD?

Who else here would be interested in seeing the GDD?

Possibly these guys http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6607/

Tell me, Krzysztof, did you index the entire backers forum or did you get Rain Man to memorize it?

I guess it is closer to the Rain Man technique... I can't remember what I ate yesterday but I remember that someone was talking here about something 4 weeks ago :) And the Library of Norbert is very helpful.

Years ago, Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein (Fate of Atlantis) started working on The 400 Project.

They tried to collect rules of computer game design and they have so far come up with 112 rules.

The HTML version can be found via this page (Noah's site), an Excel version via this page (Hal's site).

May be kind of related to this thread; it makes for an interesting read.

@Norbert

That's so sexy. It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, but it's so wonderful I'm going to print it out and sleep with it held to my chest every night.

I would love to share the game design doc, but I think not before the game comes out. Too many spoilers. How about a few months after it ships?

In general I like doing that sort of thing. I posted the Grim Fandango design doc, but Lucas lawyers made me take it down.

Maybe someday I'll put up the Psychonauts DD. If I can find it around here... somewhere...

I would love to share the game design doc, but I think not before the game comes out. Too many spoilers. How about a few months after it ships?

In general I like doing that sort of thing. I posted the Grim Fandango design doc, but Lucas lawyers made me take it down.

Maybe someday I'll put up the Psychonauts DD. If I can find it around here... somewhere...

That would be really awesome. You should totally post it after the game ships.

Ho-hum. I know LucasArts lawyers are just doing their job, but one truly wonders how getting the design doc out there would harm anyone. The game's not being sold anywhere, if it was, having this sort of thing would be a good way of generating buzz, and so what are they worried about? That someone'll take the design docs and make the game again, for some reason?

I work in copyright a little, and it frustrates me that copyright was initially set up as a way that creators could ensure they get due credit and payment for their work, but now seems that just as often it is used more like a ritual, devoid of context or a stick with which to beat down any form of violation, probably hitting a few customers on the backswing.

Great plan.

phhh, lawyers, we are backers, no lawyer will intimidate us!

Disclaimer: the DFA backers accept no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the backers.

GDDs are always fascinating to read, so I'd definitely like to have a look at it. In my case, I also like to see how the GDD evolves over time and seeing the major revisions it had.

As for releasing it before or after release, I don't care because I won't read it until after I play the game anyway. :)

I'm curious about the reasoning behind choices DF is making when it comes to story design. If that wouldn't take ages to put to words at all.

I would love to see the Psychonauts GDD. I bet its a pretty hefty tome!

Maybe Tim could release the DD now in the spoiler area. I don't see why delay it.

Maybe Tim could release the DD now in the spoiler area. I don't see why delay it.

I can easily think of two reasons:

1. It probably doesn't exist yet. (I guess we'll know more after the next doc episode.)

2. People like me who lack the self control to not read it. I'd like to read it after I've played the game, but I don't want to spoil the game too much. (After backing the project, I debated with myself if I should join the forums or not. Watching the documentary after I'd played the game would have been a good way to avoid spoilers. I don't know if I made the right choice, but I hope it'll be a fun experience either way.)

3. Leaks to Kotaku or whatever 5 seconds after the release? Remember one of the 90k backers is a mole... :]

Years ago, Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein (Fate of Atlantis) started working on The 400 Project.

They tried to collect rules of computer game design and they have so far come up with 112 rules.

The HTML version can be found via this page (Noah's site), an Excel version via this page (Hal's site).

May be kind of related to this thread; it makes for an interesting read.

No. 113: Thou shallst not implement un-skippable cutscenes™

I'm really glad to hear this :). It's "dangerous" for spoiler-averse people (like myself) for this kind of material to be out. Even if it's somehow controlled, all it takes is one careless person on the net to ruin it for you. One time a game got spoiled for me by a random comment when I was browsing unrelated youtube videos...

Also, having watched the recent Q&A video, I'm glad the Schafemeister's retaining veto power over the game design. I like that funders can have a say, but ultimately this should be a Double Fine game.

So, thumbs up!

edit: I looked up Schafe. Conveniently German and goes with -meister.

That sounds great, and it's actually not that far from what I was thinking/hoping when I voted "(Other)".

If only LucasArts as a whole would care as deeply and consistently about their older games as their lawyers do... Ironically, it was their takedown notice to the ScummVM project that got me interested in those games to begin with. Up until then, I didn't own any LucasArts games because I had never had a computer/operating system capable of running them. So in a way I guess I should be... grateful?

I would love to see it, loved the Grim Fandango one. But I would like to read a more recent work hehe :P

And if it's a few months later for me it's perfect... :)

I had wondered what happened to that Grim Fandango design document. I never even got a chance to get a good look at it before it disappeared.

Ah well, LucasArts lawyers, you win this round, but mark my words, someday I'll find a mirrored copy tucked away somewhere on the interwebs, and I'll read it whether you like it or not.

I had wondered what happened to that Grim Fandango design document. I never even got a chance to get a good look at it before it disappeared.

Ah well, LucasArts lawyers, you win this round, but mark my words, someday I'll find a mirrored copy tucked away somewhere on the interwebs, and I'll read it whether you like it or not.

That would mean your brain would contain copyrighted information from LEC. I see a surgery coming your way ;-)

TO THE LAWYER-MOBILE!

I can easily think of two reasons:

1. It probably doesn't exist yet. (I guess we'll know more after the next doc episode.)

2. People like me who lack the self control to not read it. I'd like to read it after I've played the game, but I don't want to spoil the game too much. (After backing the project, I debated with myself if I should join the forums or not. Watching the documentary after I'd played the game would have been a good way to avoid spoilers. I don't know if I made the right choice, but I hope it'll be a fun experience either way.)

1. So, why Tim wouldn't say this?

2. Well, that's up to you.

3. Leaks to Kotaku or whatever 5 seconds after the release? Remember one of the 90k backers is a mole... :]

3. If so, DF should not publish anything here.

3. If so, DF should not publish anything here.

That's one option.

Another would be to show things when a leak is less harmful. Like for example "not before the game comes out. Too many spoilers. How about a few months after it ships?".

NO

NOW

NONOW

NOONOWWO

NOWOWAWO

NOWOWAWOAWAO

NONOWOWAWOAWOWOAWAWO

and by that of course I mean do what 'publisher' tells you to do.

NO

NOW

NONOW

NOONOWWO

NOWOWAWO

NOWOWAWOAWAO

NONOWOWAWOAWOWOAWAWO

and by that of course I mean do what 'publisher' tells you to do.

They completely own Psychonauts now. They can do whatever they want with it. :)

Sign in to follow this