• Maniac Mansion
    • Simon the Sorcerer 2
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Journey Down
    • The Last Express
    • Under a Killing Moon
    • Zak McKracken

would be nice to have a look at a few recent ones that are also completely 2D like Daedalic Ones The Whispered World, A New Beginning, Edna & Harvey The Breakout, and soon to bre released Dark Eye Chains of Satinav. Except this project they are the only studio (outside of indie productions) to make full 2D adventure games in the recent years. And I mean really full, PEndulo Games are 2D made from 3D models so that's not the same thing :)

I also went with Gabriel Knight because that's one I haven't played and this will be a good excuse to finally get around to it. :)

GK seems to be running away with the poll! I guess Jane's Kickstarter hitting 100% means that the omens are right for it.

Oh, and anyone who hasn't looked into the Limbo of the Lost debacle - google that up and read, the whole saga surrounding that game is hilarious.

GK seems to be running away with the poll! I guess Jane's Kickstarter hitting 100% means that the omens are right for it.

Oh, and anyone who hasn't looked into the Limbo of the Lost debacle - google that up and read, the whole saga surrounding that game is hilarious.

My favourite thing about Limbo of the Lost is that it started out as an Amiga game.

My favourite thing about Limbo of the Lost is that it started out as an Amiga game.

Atari ST apparently - they ported to Amiga because there was no market left for ST games, despite the fact that the Amiga market wasn't exactly hale and hearty at the time.

EDIT: Oh, and my favourite thing? They actually thought this was a good way to end it:

Seems a lot of people are voting for the nostalgia value unfortunately. I'm voting for Gemini Rue because it's a modern small budget game with many very interesting strengths and flaws in its design.

Wow... just wow.

Ahem, anyway: My vote went to Gabriel Knight, as I was too young to remember much of the 3rd one & never played the 1st one.

I think my favorite thing about limbo of the lost was that their website was on geocities. You'll be watching this trailer thats trying to be all impressive and ominous, and then appears the link to their website. On geocities. I crack up every time.

Seems a lot of people are voting for the nostalgia value unfortunately. I'm voting for Gemini Rue because it's a modern small budget game with many very interesting strengths and flaws in its design.

Not really. I think I played it the first time...probably five years ago. But I really want to refresh my memories of it now that Jane is returning per Kickstarter!

Hmm. Simon is good, but BaSS I do belive is my favourite here.

Atari ST apparently - they ported to Amiga because there was no market left for ST games, despite the fact that the Amiga market wasn't exactly hale and hearty at the time.

EDIT: Oh, and my favourite thing? They actually thought this was a good way to end it:

Well not many games come with such a memorable ending *LOL*

If that games on the table next time, I'll vote for it (okay it's sadistic but come on... it's going to be fun to watch someone having to play this) :)

Under a Killing Moon definitely! Since the Tex Murphy Kickstarter opens up on the 15th, it would be perfect timing for people to see what the fuss is about.

That's true enough for this round, though I'm pleased to see that even though there's a clear leader people are spreading their votes across a range of games, old and new. There's clearly an appetite to play a range of different stuff so I'm sure we'll get onto newer games in future rounds. (It might be nice to have particular rounds have particular themes - like "No nominees from before 2002", for instance - to prompt us to try out a range of different things.)

Not really. I think I played it the first time...probably five years ago. But I really want to refresh my memories of it now that Jane is returning per Kickstarter!

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I picked Gemini Rue because I thought it would benefit the development Double Fine Adventure the most. Most of the others picked their game based on personal preferences and motives just like you did. It might be more fun doing the latter, but DFA might suffer from it as a result, and I find it unfortunate that most people don't seem to share my point of view on this matter.

Yep, I don't see your point at all. How would the DFA project suffer by us playing Gabriel Knight instead of Gemini Rue on this occassion?

There are many lessons to be learned from the games of yore, both regarding their successes and failures. I think Gabriel Knight shows that adventure games have in some aspects come a long way, in some other aspects not progressed much at all and in some others even possibly regressed.

And of course I picked out of personal preference, how could I not? But I also think that GK is worth another look because of the depth of its storytelling, characterization and mostly great, though sometimes obtuse puzzle design. And then there are the flaws typical for its time, like pixelhunting. Well, I think that's what's fun about playing it for this occassion: analyzing what still works and what doesn't.

But I hope we will pick a more recent adventure game next, I agree. Maybe Botanicula or Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP. But then, on the other hand, I feel some classics explored avenues that were never much elaborated on, so there might be more inspiration hidden in the past than you might think. But most inspiration for DFA has to come outside of adventure games and even video games anyway.

And maybe you're taking this whole Game Club a tad too seriously! ;)

To be honest, I think the main value DF get out of the game club isn't so much related to the games themselves - DF are grown ups and are more than capable of doing their own research on that front - so much as it is our responses to them, both in terms of the discussion the playthroughs generate here and Greg's observations of how people react to stuff in the chat sessions. Which isn't to say that you're wrong for pushing Gemini Rue, Smash, but I don't think the future of the project hinges on it.

I'm sure the newer titles will eventually get their chance. We have a lot of weekends ahead of us.

Looks like I'll need to pick up Gabriel Knight on GOG. Good thing it's cheap. :)

Yeah, we've got something special planned with a newer title, so we'll likely be picking that one specifically in a few weeks.

Great. Anyone's got Jane's number or do we go without her?

hi greg!

I think you mentioned that you started this with intent to discuss what was good and bad about the old titles. Im not really into watching videos of people playing games, but is there a possibility to see notes or whatever from the sessions? Im still kinda interested in seeing what your impressions and thoughts were.

hi greg!

I think you mentioned that you started this with intent to discuss what was good and bad about the old titles. Im not really into watching videos of people playing games, but is there a possibility to see notes or whatever from the sessions? Im still kinda interested in seeing what your impressions and thoughts were.

My name is not Greg but nevertheless take a look here http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6760/P75/#215009

I voted for Beneath a Steel Sky (because I will always vote for BaSS) but I'm happy with Gabriel Knight, as it's on my current to play list (the whole series is at the moment). Now I just need to turn up to one of these things!

Sign in to follow this