Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Feddlefew

Kickstarter Spam and You

Allow people to post threads for their kickstarters if they meet the requirements?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Allow people to post threads for their kickstarters if they meet the requirements?

• Yes- But that's the only place they'll post it.
    • No- Have one dedicated thread for kickstarters.
    • No- Same as No. 2, but allow for case-by-case exceptions.
    • NEVER. No more kickstarters unless they come from DF!

The DFAF regulars already know what I'm about to ramble on about, but for those of you just joining us:

WE DO NOT WANT TO BACK YOUR KICKSTARTERS.

Lately there's been a rash of people joining our lovely forum, posting about their kickstarter, then vanishing off into the wild blue yonder once it becomes clear to them that we don't want to give them money for their projects. Most of these people, probably all of them actually, never intended to contribute anything to the Double Fine Action Community- they're simply using our place as a billboard.

I understand that we had a record breathtakingly successful kickstarter here for the DF adventure game, but that doesn't mean that the community is going to throw our money at everything that comes our way.

However, some forum members also might have projects they want to support, so we shouldn't outright ban kickstarter threads outright.

We went over this briefly in EGR thread, but here are some ground rules that we think should be implemented.

-You must have made at least 100 posts in the last year, starting January 1st.

-Your account must be at least 6 months old.

-You must provide a sample of some sort to prove that you actually could complete the project, when applicable*.

-You can only post one kickstarter thread a year.

-You can only link to it in the OP of your thread and in your signature.

Or in the words of the great Hot:

feddiepie you're making it too complicated. let me try to make a rule:

- You have to make us like you enough that we are willing to overlook it when you pimp your stupid stuff.

Feedback appreciated.

*Obviously some things you can't really do this for, like if you're building a bike path, but you should be able to show you are capable of completing the project anyway.

Edit 1:

Added Hot's quote because it's concise.

Carl has also suggested maybe making one dedicated thread for people to post/discuss kickstarters in. The rules outlined above would still apply.

feddiepie you're making it too complicated. let me try to make a rule:

- You have to make us like you enough that we are willing to overlook it when you pimp your stupid stuff.

Yeah pretty much.

But some Kickstarters are definitely going to interest some people.

So I say if you do want to pimp out a game's kickstarter, do it in the Cool Games that are Coming Out thread

The DFAF are neat. Even here in the off-topic section. I'd even say especially in the off=topic section. We have general threads for almost every topic. So far we've got movies, TV, books, games, cartoons and various flavours of WTF and LOL-ery covered. Do not sully the majesty of these forums by turning it into your own personal kickstarter dumping ground.

Edit: Think we can get a sticky on this?

I just got a PM from one of the mods asking for examples of offending threads and what it is about them that's aggravating us. If you guys want to chime in now's the time to do it. I'm going to wait a bit before I PM our Most Benevolent Overlord(s) back.

I hope DF Justin didn't delete that one thread...

I just got a PM from one of the mods asking for examples of offending threads and what it is about them that's aggravating us. If you guys want to chime in now's the time to do it. I'm going to wait a bit before I PM our Most Benevolent Overlord(s) back.

<_<

>_>

Did I make that really offending thread, or was mine just the straw that broke the camel's back?

<_<

>_>

Did I make that really offending thread, or was mine just the straw that broke the camel's back?

No Vectorman made the other one that was retarded and filled with giant amounts of asshole.

basically anything where amateurs beg for free money

that guy who wanted money for a tacky yearbook AND for us to write the content of it was particularly bad

i don't mind it when people post kickstarters about games made by actual professionals. like republique. it has david hayter so dreamyyyyy

<_<

>_>

No Vectorman made the other one that was retarded and filled with giant amounts of asshole.

Okay, now I see where you're coming from.

But I don't think there an actual "rule" about it. If there was someone found out about a game made in vain of Psychonauts or Grim Fandango, they'd probably want you guys to know about it. I'm not a real member of the Earthbound Central community, but I thought they should know about Boot Hill Heroes. Mine post doesn't fall into that category, but I'm sure some must.

basically anything where amateurs beg for free money

that guy who wanted money for a tacky yearbook AND for us to write the content of it was particularly bad

i don't mind it when people post kickstarters about games made by actual professionals. like republique. it has david hayter so dreamyyyyy

Did Justin destroy that thread with his mighty ray of deletion?

this is an actual rule:

Do not advertise. Baby Lovers care only about one thing: 2hb. They don’t want to hear about your pyramid scheme, hair tonic, or some other, inferior website. Not in the Action Forums, nor in private messages to members.

<_<

>_>

Yeah that was pretty much the worst thread of the year.

<_<

>_>

Yeah that was pretty much the worst thread of the year.

Vectorman 2012

Oh my that's terrible. At least wanted constructive criticism, even though I forgot to mention it when I first submitted the post.

These guys are just terrible, terrible people.

You're not really helping yourself/selves.

I know, those were just my initial thoughts after seeing the threads, they're just blatantly asking for money, and they think insulting people for not giving them money is the way to get you to give them money. It doesn't make sense.

I didn't want to create a thread dedicated exclusively to Kickstarters specifically, but I just created a thread dedicating to sharing creative work:

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6834/

Going forward I'd like to cut down how many self-promoting Kickstarter threads get started here, and I'll probably work up a sticky post about self-promotion and advertising to that effect.

The can spam the public DF kickstarter adventure forum for all I care, I simply don't want it here.

Megapower124, You happen to be on the tail end of a lot of negativity, and I think there's still a lot of displeasure about all the advertising. I do think that you got some good constructive criticism from people on your thread (beyond all the "no"s) and I think you should consider some of the advice given. Kodiak is doing some pretty baller stuff himself and he's not asking anyone for anything except to play it and see what they think. It's great to take initiative, but the forumites are right that you can get a lot done with PS (an "arr, matey" copy) and open source tools. If you're uncomfortable about the photoshop stuff, I went to a how-to digital drawing panel by Applegeeks a few years ago and dude, they didn't even own their copy.

i read somewhere that adobe secretly wants kids to pirate photoshop and get comfortable with it. that way when they grow up and become real graphic designers/whatever, they'll ask their boss for Photoshop™ brand products only

I think mega powers thread was the straw that broke the camels back, I feel bad now ;_;

His thread wasnt as bad as vectormans or yearbook guy. Still bad but not as much

Sign in to follow this