Sign in to follow this  
galvanic_spiral

No blinking cursors, please?

This may sound silly, but please hear me out...

One of the reasons that I got into adventure games years ago is that, unlike FPS games or other fast-paced games, they do not give me migraine headaches. However, in the past I have encountered a few classic adventure games that have an animated cursor, and use a rapid blinking/cycling appearance, such as light-dark, or a moving cursor border. The repetitive nature of the pattern causes me to have a migraine headache after trying to play these games.

I humbly request that you, Double Fine Productions, refrain from including a blinking cursor in the Double Fine Adventure, or at the very least, provide an option to turn it off. After handing you 100 dollars to make this game, it would be crushing to find out that I could not play it, something that has happened many, many times in the past.

Thank you for listening, and make us a great game guys! We're counting on you... :)

I think that having the option is very fair, considering the result :)

Maybe it would be a good idea to generally take into consideration the accessibility factor .. here's a few ideas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_accessibility .. doubt it would cost you much to hire an accessibility expert late in the development for a few days to give you ideas, maybe you can get the money from the pre-orders ;)

Yeah, generaly it's not bad idea to look all aspects of accessibility. Including blinking, color-blindness and not requiring sound devices...

I think this is a difficult one to balance because equally, having the cursor blink can make it easier for people to find it on the screen (particularly screens which are particularly cluttered), so there's accessibility arguments for both ways. Making blinking optional seems to be the way to go.

On the other hand, blinking cursors seem to be out of fashion anyway - given that DF seem to be going for modern, nicely polished graphics on DFA I suspect a blinking cursor won't be on the cards because it'd look out of place.

What about colour change or shape change?

I would be for that, if it were contextual in nature, i.e., when hovering over an object. But just cycling the colors or constantly changing the shape could do the same thing as light-dark blinking.

That's what happened with that Pokemon episode that caused epileptic seizures, if I recall. The image blinked red-to-blue several times, I think.

I don't remember the old Lucas cursors as being blinky. Were they?

I do remember a kind of slow, fading cycle. Was that a problem?

Yep they did. Zak had a sort of arrow/crosshair dealie that kinda pulsed white to 25% grey and back. I think MI 1+2 had the same thing but a simple crosshair. I'm guessing was mostly to do with keeping a simple cursor visable on limited coloured backgrounds. Don't think it's really a problem with modern systems.

(Minor fanboygasm from taking part in a conversation involving Mr Schafer)

I don't remember the old Lucas cursors as being blinky. Were they?

I do remember a kind of slow, fading cycle. Was that a problem?

Wow. Didn't expect The Man Himself to get involved. Yo, Tim! ;-)

Anyway, yeah. Unfortunately any kind of fading, cycling, blinking, whatever, could be an issue, even a slow one. I'd love it being optional for those who want it, but as for me, I *need* a steady-state cursor.

First time I tried Metal Gear Solid, the minimap was crazy. The player's position on the map blinks constantly, and I've never found a way to make it stop. Luckily, I knew that would be a problem so I quit playing.

Otherwise, I'd be flat on my back with a splitting headache and nausea for an entire day. It's crazy, but I just know what triggers them.

Flight-sims are some of the worst offenders, actually, (vertigo with nausea) but a ton of games cause them nowadays, with all the rapid movement involved.

Migraines ain't fun for a video game fanatic, is what I'm saying...

Devide the screen up into little boxes and then link them together in reverse binary sort and thn have have the mouse actually clikck on the double mirrored point grom the center put though a lorentz transform oh yeah and have it blink alot and dissapear for 3 minutes at random oh and also if it crosses the wrong pixel the game freezes and currupts your hard drive and maybe make your computer explode is that possible??

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but you guys are saying is that you'd like the cursor to be a photo realistic picture of my head, about two inches tall, with my tongue sticking out, and the the action point of the cursor is the very tip of my tongue. If you move over an interactive object, my eyes flash and the tongue animates in a licking motion. If you save and quit, everything fades out except for my head, which cries very loudly for 25 seconds. If you try to override the crying, extra liquid emanates from my eyes and nose. If you turn off your machine during the crying, your savegame is corrupted. If you play on Christmas, the cursor has a Santa hat on. Correct?

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong here, but you guys are saying is that you'd like the cursor to be a photo realistic picture of my head, about two inches tall, with my tongue sticking out, and the the action point of the cursor is the very tip of my tongue. If you move over an interactive object, my eyes flash and the tongue animates in a licking motion. If you save and quit, everything fades out except for my head, which cries very loudly for 25 seconds. If you try to override the crying, extra liquid emanates from my eyes and nose. If you turn off your machine during the crying, your savegame is corrupted. If you play on Christmas, the cursor has a Santa hat on. Correct?

Actually we were kinda hoping you'd read the backer credits WHILE crying.

I think we need to see a prototype before we can talk about the details... Could you make a short video with the licking motion? Oozing liquids optional.

Photo realistic? Ha!

You got it all wrong! We want you to come in person to each and every backer's home and using your tongue control the mouse and move the cursor where we want and say a funny joke on command. If you ever cry or complain that you are thirsty/hungry/tired you'll be forced to loudly sing a lumberjack song. On Christmas you should come as Santa and give out presents to all backers.

However, your description could serve as a basis for the backers credits, we'll call it: "Lick the Backers"

I just got a memory flashback to 1990's websites. Where the cursor would often be a trail of twinkling stars which flowed around the page, along with scrolling text at the top and bottom, and the background being a tiled picture of someone's dog. That must have been lethal.

I see you fully subscribe to theory of this old Dilbert cartoon: http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1994-12-27/

(Ironically, that web site has also gotten a lot more annoying since the last time I visited it, years ago. But there's so much legalese that I don't dare linking to just the image.)

Sounds like a plan!!! Maybe let us select between the normal cursor and the special tim'sor with your face doing crazy stuff. Optional cursor... that would just the innovation the genre needs :).

No, Ron's head will be better. He's got a massive, sexy head, you know?

Dude, don't say stuff like that without actually making it an in-game option. :(

So many hopes crushed.

Haha, jesus.

Back on the subject, I seem to recall the blinking cursors of the early-90s era blinking rather more erratically than they do in ScummVM now, might be some processor factor. Anyway I don't think any of the Lucas post-Atlantis had the blinking effect at all.

Isn't this essentially the "enable hardware cursor" option that some games have hidden in their video options? I've never understood what that was for, but it seems possible it was about accessibility all along.

So I think a blinking cursor is using your front facing camera to track where you look at in the game and click whenever your blink

Otherwise, I'd be flat on my back with a splitting headache and nausea for an entire day. It's crazy, but I just know what triggers them.

Whoa, that's pretty intense. Like a blinking led on your router would trigger it if it's constantly in your field of vision? I know I get nausea and eventually migraine from 60Hz CRTs and 50Hz fluorescent lamps. Luckily for me those things don't really exist anymore.

Guys! Tim said something funny! Everyone quote him and add your own smart ass comments! It must be done! :P

^ It's even better that this thread is a year old!

Can someone please spend a couple hours or so making an animated pixel-art Tim-head cursor gif? I've been waiting for so long. :(

Isn't this essentially the "enable hardware cursor" option that some games have hidden in their video options? I've never understood what that was for, but it seems possible it was about accessibility all along.

No, that's for minimizing input lag. You see, by default games use your windows mouse input, to derive, the settings such as sensitvity as well as the actual input information. With hardware cursor, you cut out the middleman, this makes the game have to do more stuff, but you get almost seamless input, a lot of times the difference can be very minor, both in performance hit(close to none or none at all) as well as the difference in input lag,(100-60ms to 30-15 ms maybe?).

It's mostly included in competitive games, such as Starcraft and so on, where you're highly realiant or mouse precision.

Sign in to follow this